Leave Cigar Band ON or OFF?

Leave Cigar Band ON or OFF?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I generally leave mine on as long as possible as there can be some wrapper damage from its removal. If it happens, better I'm nearing the end of the cigar. English custom is to remove the band be

I leave it on until I get closer to it.  The odd time if a wrapper has a blemish and looks like it's gonna crack I'll slide the band to where the fault is to hold it together longer...works like a cha

I leave it on. As the burn gets closer to the band it heats up the glue so (usually) I find it easier to remove. I have nicked a few wrappers trying to remove the band before lighting up.

1 hour ago, hellorockview12 said:

I leave it on until I get closer to it.  The odd time if a wrapper has a blemish and looks like it's gonna crack I'll slide the band to where the fault is to hold it together longer...works like a charm.  PS, you may want to revise the poll question, it's a bit confusing and I wasn't sure how to answer it :).

I agree on the poll question, i did not vote because to me the available options do not match the question at all

I share a cigar most Friday afternoons with a buddy. He always takes off the band right away. Often he nicks the wrapper. drives me nuts......Why not let the cigar warm up and loosen the band so it comes off cleanly. Don't get me going on how people light cigars or don't touch them up when needed.

Have always kept the band on till it nearly catche fire :lol: still I like the band on till the end that way it's doesn't stain my white gloves :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It depends on the cigar I am smoking, if it's a Cohiba (especially a Behike, etc.) I leave the band on as long as I can. If it's a mere "normal" cigar I remove it privately as quickly as possible. 

In all seriousness, I tend to leave the band on if it isn't too loose. I spend a decent amount of time smoking cigars with dirty/wet hands between cooking, tying flies, fishing and being on the boat/beach. The band gives me a little something to hold onto.

Most bands don't bother me. Double bands and bigger primary bands like Opus X for some reason I do find the urge to peal off sooner than later like a scab or band-aid, despite their "increased usefullness". So I get guys that like to remove them too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

Band off, celo on. Or is it the other way around.........

Celo on, band off...???

56 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Solely a functional thing for me.
Stays on as long as possible for not risking compromising the wrapper. But a loose and slipping band can be annoying, so off it goes early.

Ditto.

If I'm at a club or lounge smoking, I always take the band off because I don't want to be one of "those guys" that leaves the band on walking around "peacocking" showing everyone what great cigars I'm smoking because I';m an elitist, haughty, ostentatious, pompous, pretentious, smug,jerk.  Normally at the office I leave the band on for a while in case it might start to unravel, then remove it to finish.

If I'm at a club or lounge smoking, I always take the band off because I don't want to be one of "those guys" that leaves the band on walking around "peacocking" showing everyone what great cigars I'm smoking because I';m an elitist, haughty, ostentatious, pompous, pretentious, smug,jerk.  Normally at the office I leave the band on for a while in case it might start to unravel, then remove it to finish.

This is interesting to me. It just shows how everyone's life experience is different. It never, ever occurred to me that this might be a factor in some circles. Most people I come in contact with know nothing about cigars & could care less. And if I saw a fellow with a high end stick I'd likely go over to him and ask if he liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

31 minutes ago, JR Kipling said:

This is interesting to me. It just shows how everyone's life experience is different. It never, ever occurred to me that this might be a factor in some circles. Most people I come in contact with know nothing about cigars & could care less. And if I saw a fellow with a high end stick I'd likely go over to him and ask if he liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I try and act a bit more humble than "those guys" because there is no reason for them to know what I have and I could care less what they have even though I'm sure they are trying to make some egotistical power move.  Usually happens at places like the Ritz cigar club. 

I don't understand why Habanos S.A. doesn't just use a different glue on their bands.  It annoys the piss out of me when I can't easily remove the band.  I see this less on non-Cubans--the bands generally come off with little effort and no ripping.  

Nc more focuses on the fanciness but the taste and quality. Everything is about marketing whereas cc focuses on the traditions... they have been using the same glue for years..

16 minutes ago, hiperkemanci said:

Nc more focuses on the fanciness but the taste and quality. Everything is about marketing whereas cc focuses on the traditions... they have been using the same glue for years..

Trust me, I'll live with the annoying bands if it means more Cuban goodness.