H.UPMANN NOELLAS JAR LCDH (25)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

7 days later.... Even though antibiotics and steroids are messing with my taste I can confirm not my smell. These smelled out of this world when I opened glass jar...just wow. Must be because the gl

First a caveat, the cigar speculation game is not one that I play. With that said, I am afraid that the 'sucker' section of the Cuban cigar market has grown leaps and bounds over the past 15 years. It

I respect a bunch of recognized names in this thread. I've aged a jar of these since release and another a year later. The jar from the second year. (Still no box code date under the cedar insert) The

I bought one from a Havana LCDH in July of 2012.  It does not have a stamp under the cedar insert or anywhere I can find.  I've only smoked 2 over the years, and I find them quite enjoyable.  Certainly worth the price. 

A few weeks ago, while shuffling my humidor, the lid fell off of my jar and shattered.  It actually shattered into a thousand small pieces rather than any large shards (read: safer than expected).  I've been trying to locate an empty jar or lid since.  No luck.  

Will probably pick one up next time in Havana LCDH to make up for lost lid.  Cigars were good enough even without the jar. 

Very interesting replies, not having smoked one, I have no valuable input. I do have a question however! Those of you who have these, did you store them lid on or off in your humidor?

First, no one is going to salvage a poorly made cigar, and this is what it sounds like to me. But the comments, some of them, sound like wet cigars... With a few people saying 'age is fixing them' I have to wonder about storage...

Carry on! -the Pig

1 hour ago, shlomo said:

Gold Medals were loved by most when they were out. One of my all time favorite cigars. They are also discontinued for many years now. Not really an apt comparison.

For me and the few regulars I smoke with were the worst tasting Bolivar to come out in a long time.  Most of the LCDH releases seem lackluster...

I guess "most" depends on what circles you are in?

43 minutes ago, PigFish said:

I do have a question however! Those of you who have these, did you store them lid on or off in your humidor?

Prior to breaking the lid, I kept mine with lid on and in the cardboard box in my humidor.  I've only smoked 2 over the last 4 years or so, and remember enjoying them.  Can't recall subtleties as it's been some time, but certainly do recall being satisfied.  

It's worth noting, at least with my jar, that the jar itself does not really seal at all.  Once the lid is positioned in place, there are two latches that flip over to keep it in place.  It does not apply adequate pressure to create a solid seal, and the lid itself fits well, but is not air-tight.  I would think that it provides about as much of a seal as a normal box.  Air will get through, but it's not completely open. In fact, mine broke when I was holding it and my hand turned slightly, and the lid fell off.  It was loose enough, with latches on, that it slid off with its own weight.  Not a tight seal by any means. 

Mine appears to be a little older than perhaps some of the newer ones in LCDHs today and the seal could have certainly improved.  But for my model, the jar is simply for looks but not storage without being in humidor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrouchoMarx said:

I have one - I put a bovend in the top, then covered and put it back in the box. Its sits on top my my cabinet (Winston). Haven't checked it in about a month though - maybe I should.

I highly recommend that you send me this jar. I will look after it 4 U.

• Like 2

I highly recommend that you send me this jar. I will look after it 4 U.

Lol sure thing. Just as soon as monkeys fly out my butt! Lol

Hope all is well with you my friend.

I'm GrouchoMarx and I approved this post.

• Like 2

I traded for one of the Noella Jars. I think it's a '15. The cigars look like they will age well, oily wrapper and good potent nose. I bought them to lay down and may just leave them be for a good long time. The info I got about them, and I think Rob chimed in on the Noella Jar some time ago, was that they will need time. A glass jar has got to be as air tight as a varnish SLB so I think they are packaged nicely for long ageing, if thats what one wants. And, BTW, I do think that some very tannic, bitter, and strong young cigars  come around and turn brilliant with time. Some times they are just young and wet and potent and need time to mellow. RA Celestiales Finos come to mind as well as a few Bolivars. That's not to say that I haven't  had cigars that didn't come around, but that's another thread.

• Like 1

I traded for one of the Noella Jars. I think it's a '15. The cigars look like they will age well, oily wrapper and good potent nose. I bought them to lay down and may just leave them be for a good long time. The info I got about them, and I think Rob chimed in on the Noella Jar some time ago, was that they will need time. A glass jar has got to be as air tight as a varnish SLB so I think they are packaged nicely for long ageing, if thats what one wants. And, BTW, I do think that some very tannic, bitter, and strong young cigars  come around and turn brilliant with time. Some times they are just young and wet and potent and need time to mellow. RA Celestiales Finos come to mind as well as a few Bolivars. That's not to say that I haven't  had cigars that didn't come around, but that's another thread.

Thanks for the post. I'm sure this is one that I'll keep intact for a long time and not just smoke up so I have an empty glass jar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, danny said:

Let's just say I, among many others, REALLY wish the cigars themselves were sold in boxes or cabs. I got some when the prices started to go down to just over $300 US but are now easily in the low-to-mid $200's. Definitely worth trying, plus you'll have a nice looking jar humidor when you're done. FYI. The seal isn't that great so I suggest keeping it in a humidified area/container of some kind or putting a small Boveda and checking it every so often to make sure it doesn't dry up (which is seems to do every 6 weeks or so

Danny, I'm keen to buy a jar. How heavy is the Jar? May I also shoot you a PM??

You'll regret not have a few jars in your cabinet regardless of how you find them to smoke.  Look at prices on the Gold Medals...  Weren't great cigars when they came out, but now everyone wants them at a premium...

If you're looking for a profit down the road, there are many other selections that don't take up so much space and offer greater potential plus they may actually taste good ;)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PigFish said:

Very interesting replies, not having smoked one, I have no valuable input. I do have a question however! Those of you who have these, did you store them lid on or off in your humidor?

First, no one is going to salvage a poorly made cigar, and this is what it sounds like to me. But the comments, some of them, sound like wet cigars... With a few people saying 'age is fixing them' I have to wonder about storage...

Carry on! -the Pig

Pretty much reflecting my take on it, Ray. I know, you don't much buy into it - but from my assessment, the blend needs aging. I've remarked on it before - this is very hygroscopic tobacco used in this stick, coming with a mostly pretty compact rolling. I have had young ones that turned out harsh quickly. With some age - delish! As you say, it surely is mainly a moisture thing with this polarizing stick. You can't smoke this cigar freshly directly from the jar. Or it needs some serious dry boxing, if you want to break in immediately, i.e. dryer than you'd be used to, due to its high hygroscopicity. I am aware, there are others, who say they still don't like them. Fair enough, but from what I have seen and smoked of them I felt that this is a very well-made cigar with high-quality tobacco used in its blend, and with the particular intention of allowing them to mature for some time (in fact - as it's being labelled on the original imprint....).

And - it goes without saying that these, like with any jar, should be kept in the humidor for serious long-term aging.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

For me and the few regulars I smoke with were the worst tasting Bolivar to come out in a long time.  Most of the LCDH releases seem lackluster...

I guess "most" depends on what circles you are in?

Most would be my local friends and every forum I am a part of. Obviously "most" is not "all" so there are some people who may think that the LCDH releases are not so great such as yourself, but I would venture a guess and think you may be in the minority. Thats OK of course as I am in the minority with many special releases and even a handful of shit regular releases that many seem to love.

Guest photorob

Mine are stored below 65/65 (usually hovers closer to 62%) and smoke great. 

To me the jars are cigar parafanelia only and I store the sticks in my humidor. Also I believe *at least* some guys who really despise them are smoking wet cigars from their glass jars - to agree fully with @PigFish

1 hour ago, Fugu said:

Pretty much reflecting my take on it, Ray. I know, you don't much buy into it - but from my assessment, the blend needs aging. I've remarked on it before - this is very hygroscopic tobacco used in this stick, coming with a mostly pretty compact rolling. I have had young ones that turned out harsh quickly. With some age - delish! As you say, it surely is mainly a moisture thing with this polarizing stick. You can't smoke this cigar freshly directly from the jar. Or it needs some serious dry boxing, if you want to break in immediately, i.e. dryer than you'd be used to, due to its high hygroscopicity. I am aware, there are others, who say they still don't like them. Fair enough, but from what I have seen and smoked of them I felt that this is a very well-made cigar with high-quality tobacco used in its blend, and with the particular intention of allowing them to mature for some time (in fact - as it's being labelled on the original imprint....).

And - it goes without saying that these, like with any jar, should be kept in the humidor for serious long-term aging.

You got me thinking again! That's bad... ! -LOL

I have to wonder further, and with some of your comments, and others, if this is more like a cigar made in '99 or '00? Anyone around long enough to strike a comparison. That is what it sounds like to me. Furthermore, if that is the case, I may have found a cigar that might be appealing to me. Packed stoutly, check, perhaps a little tannic, check, can be smoked when really dried out... check!!!

I won't comment on the age factor, under fermented cigars I believe do have 'some' chance depending on the tobacco that is not ripe. I am not really the guy to comment on processes, but I have experienced many a lovely cigar from the period, and this is again what this is redolent of, to me as an observer...

Great discussion folks.. -tP

33 minutes ago, photorob said:

Mine are stored below 65/65 (usually hovers closer to 62%) and smoke great. 

To me the jars are cigar parafanelia only and I store the sticks in my humidor. Also I believe *at least* some guys who really despise them are smoking wet cigars from their glass jars - to agree fully with @PigFish

Were you smoking fresher cigars in the millennium period? I am really fishing for answers here. This talk has got me really curious about this cigar, and has me actually thinking of looking for them...

Cheers! -P

9 hours ago, PigFish said:

Carry on! -the Pig

I have a jar from about three years ago.  I store it, lid on, in my cabinet at 62%/70F.

2 hours ago, Fugu said:

Agree with your assessment.  I've only smoked one since I bought the jar, I think, in 2013.  From what I remember, I wasn't disappointed with the smoke.  This is making me want to pull out another and give it a try.

• Like 1

Just now, stogieluver said:

I have a jar from about two years ago.  I store it, lid on, in my cabinet at 62%/70F.

Agree with your assessment.  I've only smoked one since I bought the jar, I think, in 2013.  From what I remember, I wasn't disappointed with the smoke.  This is making me want to pull out another and give it a try.

... same question. Do you remember young millennial cigars and do these remind you of those? Cheers! -R

1 minute ago, PigFish said:

... same question. Do you remember young millennial cigars and do these remind you of those? Cheers! -R

I've never smoked a CC from that time frame. 

7 minutes ago, stogieluver said:

I've never smoked a CC from that time frame. 

... never been much of a trader, but let me know if you are amiable to trade something for a jar-gar! Not that today, especially in my storage are you likely to get what was cursed back then. Some of my favorite cigars. However, many of these cigars are tight and if you are sensitive to that, you won't want to take me up on a trade. Just an FYI. Few people have my opinion about these cigars and I am not 'looking for victims' here. Most of these cigars I am very reluctant to trade, because I love most of them too dearly!

Cheers! -Ray