Lost my job today

No one's entitled to give you any advice here - but one thing to consider perhaps: why would they want you to train a third party, what you could likewise do yourself and even better? Unless of course it's a different job, with a different level of qualification. At least sounds a bit fishy and dishonest from your employer.

• Like 1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somebody PM me this man's address. Sounds like a man in need of a serious bombing.  The only way to stop me is to move...cause someone knows where you live...and they will spill the beans.  

I decided to tell them to get stuffed.  

You must maintain a positive attitude..You and only you.... A very long time ago I was out of work going on about 6 months and the wife says "how can you be so happy and positive all the time"...

Sorry to hear about your job...

There is no such thing as company loyalty in my book, unless you own the company. If your company clearly viewed you as a dispensable worker (like a fast food worker), why would you owe them anything? I never made big money, but I ran myself into the ground mentally and physically while living in hotels at least 20 days out of each month. After that, I decided that my job was simply a means to an end... and that my health and family meant more than living my life solely to make money for others (whom didn't even know me). Regardless of pay or title... I've decided that "climbing the ladder" will never be part of my career goals...

Sorry to hear of your job loss.  I've been there.  It's awful.  But as others have said, and you seem to know, it can often turn into a blessing in the long run.

As far as going back to train the new person, just like anything else in life, it's negotiable.  Tell them what your terms are ($$$), ask for more than enough so that it becomes something you would want to do (because of the money), as opposed to something you feel obliged to do.  Maybe they throw in an extra month or two of benefits.  Maybe they pay you double time for those two weeks.  If they don't care enough to make it worth your while, I'm sure you can find a better use of your time. 

Also, whether you need it or not, if you haven't already done so, file your unemployment claim with your state today.  You may not be eligible to receive anything right away, depending on severance, vacation pay out, bonuses, etc.  But in many cases, the sooner you file, the sooner the clock starts rolling on eating up the weeks you have to wait before you can start receiving money.  The max weekly caps mean that the payouts aren't a lot, but they're also not nothing.  In Indiana it was a shade under $400 a week last time I checked.  Some people feel bad or ashamed to take unemployment assistance.  I wouldn't.  You've paid into the system via your employer.  It's there to help people who've lost their jobs unexpectedly.  It's not abusing the system or taking a government handout if you paid for it to begin with.

Hope you find something better very quickly.  In the meantime I hope you're able to get by ok.  This, too, shall pass.

Like others here, I've been there, done that and have the t-shirt. It sucks that it happened, but the past is the past and you have to remain positive and move forward. I wish you all the best as you search for your next job.

And as far as the previous employer asking you back, good for you. They made their bed, let them sleep in it.

• Like 1