What happened to my BPC?

12 hours ago, MahDooRow said:

I had high hopes for the PSP/HQ box of BPC (ETP ENE 16) in my OHS locker.  I guess I'll have to lower my expectations.  The comments and feedback in this thread are disappointing to say the least.  They're also in stark contrast to what I've experienced with the BPC and BCJ currently in my humidor.  I've got one box of BPC with code ULA MAY 15 and one box of BCJ with code ETP MAR 16.  Both boxes are smoking very well.  Great flavor, excellent construction and no sticks with a tight draw.                  

The last BPC I had, was awesome!  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Philc2001 said:

These were in fact BPC from 24:24, and as far as looks and construction go I would rate them closer to PSP than HQ. None so far that were tight or plugged, and just from feel I think there won't be any bad ines in the box. They are gorgeous, and they burn superbly well, which you can see in the picture. But we all know looks and construction don't equate to great flavor. I've had some gorgeous cigars that taste like crap, and the ugliest cigars that are wonderful flavor bombs. All part of the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I won't pay a premium for "pretty" cigars. Some of the best cigars I have ever had were ugly sticks. Go figure.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

This is why I won't pay a premium for "pretty" cigars. Some of the best cigars I have ever had were ugly sticks. Go figure.

... ever see Bwana's quote about sending me the ugly ones??? -LOL

There is no correlation to looks and taste. Take me for instance... :ph34r:

-tP

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave001 said:

probably just a bad stick in the box try another and let us know how that goes

Eh, I think it's a bit more than that. I've been thinking it, but this thread confirms it for me--recent production BPC are simply not up to snuff. 15-early 16 is hit and miss for a lot of marcas and even vitolas within marcas. 15-16 BPC--sub par. 15-16 BCG and Tubos 1,2 & 3--outstanding. I would say the opposite is true for 13-14 production. Very odd year. Some cigars had a real awakening in 2015 like Dip 2, much Hoyo, Punch Punch, BCG, Lusi, and some had a real dip like PLPC, Shorts, much RyJ, BPC.

Who knows, maybe they'll come around. But for now, they're just missing the mark.

Bwana...have not seen that in a while.

met a guy from Burundi a few years back, and asked him what Bwana means...........

He thought for a minute and said.............. " Lion  Bait "   :hungry:

5 hours ago, Smallclub said:

You're mixing up everything. The OP's problem is not BCJ's construction, but BPC's flavors.

Not mixing things up.  Just commenting on the aggregation of comments about BPC and BCJ.  Yes, the OP commented on flavor (or lack thereof).  Others commented on tight draw.  You just need to catch up to the speed of how my mind works.  :P 

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, seattledude said:

I have yet to have PL Montecarlo. I should order me a box.

definitely treat yourself to a box, its one my favorites of all time and I do love my small RG's! its one of the first Cuban cigars I bought back in 2006 (at the time I was trying to buy up as many small RG as I could find) thank goodness this one is still in current production!!

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

Eh, I think it's a bit more than that. I've been thinking it, but this thread confirms it for me--recent production BPC are simply not up to snuff. 15-early 16 is hit and miss for a lot of marcas and even vitolas within marcas. 15-16 BPC--sub par. 15-16 BCG and Tubos 1,2 & 3--outstanding. I would say the opposite is true for 13-14 production. Very odd year. Some cigars had a real awakening in 2015 like Dip 2, much Hoyo, Punch Punch, BCG, Lusi, and some had a real dip like PLPC, Shorts, much RyJ, BPC.

Who knows, maybe they'll come around. But for now, they're just missing the mark.

Have they been packing them with flavourless volado leaf? I'm sorry guys, I can't weigh in on this thread really as I'm not a Bolivar smoker, apart from a BBF here or there, they don't appeal to me due to their 'earthy' spine, yet bland cigars are my nightmare. Sorry to hear all this.

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

Have they been packing them with flavourless volado leaf? I'm sorry guys, I can't weigh in on this thread really as I'm not a Bolivar smoker, apart from a BBF here or there, they don't appeal to me due to their 'earthy' spine, yet bland cigars are my nightmare. Sorry to hear all this.

I wouldn't call the 15-16s I've smoked bland. I'd say muddled, kind of just unpleasant. Someone else described it as an odd "potpourri" kind of flavor which I can't disagree with. Kind of reminds me of Punch Punch until the recent 13-14 resurgence. Messy and unpleasant.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2017 at 1:34 PM, PigFish said:

... ever see Bwana's quote about sending me the ugly ones??? -LOL

There is no correlation to looks and taste. Take me for instance... :ph34r:

-tP

Good Point! It's truly rare to be lacking in both ;)

Cracked open the first of my Boli Tubos No 1, ULA MAR 16 today and it delivers as expected. I'm heartbroken to see these go. Everything that my last few boxes of BPC aren't. Strong, rich earth and leather--distinctly Bolivar. No muddled flavors here. Excellent construction and burn--didn't need even one touch-up. Everyone should be after these. The No 2 should be the same, but boy do I love the Corona format. Never leaves me wanting more as a Mareva frequently does. 

For now, anyone considering BPC should just spend the extra coin on the Tubos 1 or 2. It's well worth it knowing you'll get the quality. 92/93 points for me all day long, and these have legs for the long-term. 5+ years could turn this into a 96-97 pointer. Just...get them.

I am on the hunt for a '15 box of BPC's. Can anybody recommend some GOOD box codes from that year? El Prez helped me fill in some gaps in my PC collection but I am missing a '15.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about the discontinued Boli.'s.  Not a fan of them but I hate the thought of them coming back as box counts

of 10 with two bands and huge mark up.  Don't be surprised to see a Boli. with a ring gauge of 60.  Who the hell smokes these

large ring gauges monsters.  It makes sense if the return on the investment is worth it I guess.  But who knows, large cigars mean

the need for more tabac inside and out.  Hence the doing away of the coronas for tabac to fill and wrap the larger RG smokes.

This shit won't stop happening until people walk with their wallets and not buy what Habanos is selling (large RG) smokes and

Cuba / Gov. gets out of running the show and allows the free market to take over!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hurltim said:

I am on the hunt for a '15 box of BPC's. Can anybody recommend some GOOD box codes from that year? El Prez helped me fill in some gaps in my PC collection but I am missing a '15.

I think the gist of this thread is that 15-16 BPC is mainly a bust.

I't looks like the ULA code has moved on from BPC in 15/16 but it has been a fairly reliable code from 14 on. The Boli Tubos No 1s I just dipped into that are excellent are ULA. So I'd say maybe ULA might possibly be less risky if you can find any BPC with that code. But this seems like a problem across all codes with 15-16 BPC. I've had lousy BPC w/ ULA, ETP, ALO codes. I did recently have a box of quite good ULA APR 15 BCJ but BCJ and BPC are different animals and always have been, at least to my tastes.

It's cheating, but you can always stick Boli Tubos No 2 in a PC box! If you're actually planning to smoke these, you'll be much better off.

12 hours ago, Hurltim said:

I am on the hunt for a '15 box of BPC's. Can anybody recommend some GOOD box codes from that year?

Not much choice - almost all, if not all (haven't come across any other so far) Petit Coronas and Coronas Junior are being made at Partagas. That would be Boxcodes of MUR, then ULA and now ETP. The change in factory code doesn't signify a change in factory, just in time.

If you are looking for '15 PC, be prepared to lay them down for 5 years minimum.

• Like 1

Well that sucks! Lol! I have a '13, '14 and '16 box of BPC'S. I tried one out of the '16 box and thought it was good but needed some time down. Certainly not unsmokeable.

I would certainly be open to the tubos. I just haven't tried them yet.

1 hour ago, Hurltim said:

Well that sucks! Lol! I have a '13, '14 and '16 box of BPC'S. I tried one out of the '16 box and thought it was good but needed some time down. Certainly not unsmokeable.

Just to clarify Tim, I am not saying they are poor. But for me, the PC (irrespective of year) has always been that Boli profiting most from giving it time to mature. But perhaps it's just me.

I just had a 2015 BPC last night... meh.  First 1/4" was a bit sour and grassy, even though it's been in my humidor at 62% for several months now. The flavors and spice built up quickly in the first third, but it was a jumbled mess.   I really love the classic Bolivar profile, but this didn't really have it.