Blind purchase with a $40 discount... what would you choose?

Ok, so at the risk of sounding greedy, I'm realizing that I do seem to prefer a more substantial size cigar than some of the ones discussed.  I'm leaning towards a robusto or corona corda - something in that size range.  

A few contenders-

JL No. 2 

Bolivar RC

Partagas D4

Punch Punch

Hoyo No. 2

San Cristobal la Fuerza

I'm intrigued by the last two because I've never had them.  I already own a box or two of the others, and I've seen the variation that comes with buying sight unseen... It's a mixed bag for sure.  

Thoughts?

Mwaller

9 hours ago, mwaller said:

How is the consistency on these?  What flavors do you get?  And how does this compare with the Half Corona?

It's my opinion that the blend for the HUPC is very close to the HU No 2. Full and present, lots of shortbread and straight tobacco, very smooth. Very consistent and again, one of the few cigars I'll buy blind these days. I'd also throw the Half Corona in there as well. Very consistent from what I hear, but I haven't smoked enough to compare to the PC.

I'm seeing a lot of cigars mentioned that I personally would absolutely never buy blind, but that's me. Punch Punch, Monte 4, PSD4, SC La Fuerza are cigars I'd never buy blind. I've seen some pretty gnarly looking Monte 1/2/4 and PSD4 floating around out there. Monte 5 is much more consistent for some reason. With Punch, I'd want ONLY 15/16 production. There are a lot of Punch from 2012-2014 still being sold that you do not want. SC can suffer from visibly poor construction. Lots of underfilling/soft spots that are easily weeded out by the vendor that I would want. I pretty much only buy SC from Rob.

9 hours ago, MahDooRow said:

Punch Punch are awesome when you get good ones.  In general it's a pretty consistent vitola,  but personally I would not buy Punch Punch blind.  

I think the current run of Punch Punch, since about 2013, are safe to buy blind.  Before that, no way.  And I've not had any 2016, but word is they've continued in the consistency of 2013-2015, so I would have no fear in buying those blind in order to use use up a $40 freebie.  Without that incentive though, I'd prefer Rob's fingerprints on my cigars. ;) 

On 1/9/2017 at 3:11 PM, mwaller said:

I have a $40 credit with reputable seller that only sells sealed boxes... What box would you get that won't totally break the bank?

Thanks,

mwaller

mwaller: You've certainly received a myriad of comments and opinions.  By now you must be dizzy with confusion.  Every cigar mentioned is good when you get a good quality box.  Your dilemma is picking a box under the blindest of blind conditions.  It will not be inspected prior to shipment, and you will have no idea of the box code or even the year.  I'm really not sure why any reputable vendor would force such conditions on a buyer.  IMO it just seems like a horrible business practice.  That being said, if I were in your shoes I'd minimize my risk by selecting something that required as little out-of-pocket cost as possible (Boli CJ, PL Montecarlo, Monte #5, RASCC, Party Shorts, HUPC...).  

12 hours ago, mwaller said:

Ok, so at the risk of sounding greedy, I'm realizing that I do seem to prefer a more substantial size cigar than some of the ones discussed.  I'm leaning towards a robusto or corona corda - something in that size range.  

A few contenders-

JL No. 2 

Bolivar RC

Partagas D4

Punch Punch

Hoyo No. 2

San Cristobal la Fuerza

I'm intrigued by the last two because I've never had them.  I already own a box or two of the others, and I've seen the variation that comes with buying sight unseen... It's a mixed bag for sure.  

Thoughts?

Mwaller

Since you are leaning towards a box of robustos or corona gordas (which will require more out-of-pocket cost than I'd be willing to risk) you should pick something you'll be happy smoking if you receive a box of quaffers. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PapaDisco said:

I think the current run of Punch Punch, since about 2013, are safe to buy blind.  Before that, no way.  And I've not had any 2016, but word is they've continued in the consistency of 2013-2015, so I would have no fear in buying those blind in order to use use up a $40 freebie.  Without that incentive though, I'd prefer Rob's fingerprints on my cigars. ;) 

True, I'd be mostly concerned with the dates of Punch Punch than a full physical inspection. I think Punch has certainly been on the rise since 13 but 15/16 production is really a cut above 13/14. I want only 15/16 Punch Punch right now and with no codes there's a significant risk of receiving a box from 11 or 12 that a vendor is trying to blow out and believe me, no one wants 11/12 Punch Punch.

• Like 1

Ramon Allones Club Allones LE is what I would get if still available. A fabulous cigar imho. I've smoked several from different boxes and not hit a dud so far. They come in boxes of 10. Not very cheap but something special. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MahDooRow said:

It will not be inspected prior to shipment, and you will have no idea of the box code or even the year.  I'm really not sure why any reputable vendor would force such conditions on a buyer.  IMO it just seems like a horrible business practice.

There's a very reputable vendor who operates this way, and their prices are often the lowest and they ship lightning quick. It's their business model, and you take it or leave it. I believe one can request a box inspection at slightly added cost and delay but they're really just checking for serious issues like obvious damage, missing cigars or mold. Otherwise, every box I've ever received from them is sealed, and yes, I've received some very funky codes from them at times which is why I would never buy certain cigars from them. However, I've never received bad, damaged or overly moldy cigars. And it is mighty nice to receive your cigars in 4 working days.

Buying all cigars without personally seeing them involves risk. Even when you do see them, you never know how they taste until you light them up.

Some vendors have good reputations and other are questionable or bad. Stay away from the bad ones and you may still get cigars with some mold or other issues. The good vendors treat you fairly, have reasonable prices but no one that I know of guarantees that cigars will taste good, and in the end that is really what matters to me.

All this stuff about box codes... enjoy the illusion my friends, all that means precious little to me, but unlike a lot of you I am not searching out rarities nor often buying cigars over $200 a box.

We all do what we do to reduce risk. I figure the Cubans screw up a certain percentage right out of the gate, I don't care where it is made. Based on that assumption, I am pretty much a sale buyer. I buy them when they fit the need and they can be bought right. I cannot recall when a box code made a difference to me, or the last time I requested one. I have smoked good and bad cigars from the 4 corners, Cuba!

Best of luck on whatever you buy! -Piggy

• Like 3

Forgo the $40 discount and go buy a box of Hoyo Epi 1's in 24/24...an amazing deal from a known source who will inspect and not sent you crap.

They are clearance not to be confused with seconds....good stuff that will ensure you have a "Cracker DaY"

Clearance. These will be boxes from master cases that Rob has approved. The reason these are not listed as 'Hand Picked' is that sometimes Rob may not have inspected every single box individually. If this is the case, someone else in the FOH team will always carry out a quality check before any boxes are shipped - so you're never going to receive anything lower than PE.

Seconds. These are most often PSP/HQ/PE cigars that have very minor cosmetic flaws, such as cracked feet - and even then, no more than two damaged cigars per box of 25. On rare occasions, boxes may be deemed to be seconds because they are below PE grade. Rob will always explain exactly why he has listed the boxes as seconds, so just take a look at the description. You are never going to receive anything unsmokable from a 24:24 sale.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2017 at 5:00 PM, mwaller said:

Decided to roll the dice on Bolivar Tubos #2!  Thanks for all the input!

Tried one of these last night... Loved it!  Despite minimal down time, great rich flavors from start to finish!  The opening was particularly tasty with tangy, chewy lip-coating tannins.  Excellent recommendation, and a super deal!

• Like 1

I wouldn't have any objection to a good standard box (or bundle) of Jose`L. Piedras!  Not a bad smoke IMHO. Plus, they should damn near be free with a $40 credit! :thumbsup:  :dollarsign:

1 hour ago, mwaller said:

Tried one of these last night... Loved it!  Despite minimal down time, great rich flavors from start to finish!  The opening was particularly tasty with tangy, chewy lip-coating tannins.  Excellent recommendation, and a super deal!

I  had one of these last weekend at the beach. It easily tied with a RA Superiores for my cigar of the year so far. Just a fantastic smoke. 

- MG 

On 1/9/2017 at 11:46 PM, mwaller said:

A few contenders-

JL No. 2 

Bolivar RC

Partagas D4

Punch Punch

Hoyo No. 2

San Cristobal la Fuerza

Thoughts?

Mwaller

Out of all those I've tried, I think it's a very good list. I was going to suggest Hoyo Epicure Especiales, but the Epi2 might be an even better choice from a value perspective. What I might do is to take your average price range that you can spend on a box, and find a box where the discount would take a higher priced cigar into that range. E.g. if you have a robusto price range normally, maybe you can get some piramides

• Like 1