Do Habanos go bad with time??

I've sampled standard production, pre-embargo, and clear-havanas ranging from late 1800s through 1990s - now, and in all honesty a majority of the cigars 1930+ have been mostly good, great, or sometimes out of this world sublime. The only very poor/non-rewarding habanos I've had were from mid-1940s, 1970s, and 1999-2001. Just like with wine, there are plenty of off years that don't stand up to the test of time, as well as certain formats and blends that are best enjoyed in the shorter timeframes. Of course it's all up to personal preference. And in my preference, I believe that a good 2/3 of habanos lineup can be enjoyed for decades to come, and if stored correctly/taken care of for half a century. It does help if you start out with a high quality product, you are likely not going to be enjoying Quintero Londres Extra or RyJ Julietas in 20+ years...

Marcas that I've found the most enjoyment out of from 20-60 years of age: Bolivar, H. Upmann, ERdM, Montecristo, Punch, Ramon Allones, and Sancho Panza. 

• Like 2

I'm getting towards the end of two cabs of '03 des Dieux, have a few sticks from each cab. left. In mid '13, shortly after I received both cabs, the ones from ORE MAY 03 box were simply magical. The other cab- ORE SEP 03 had slightly darker, courser wrappers and were definatley not as savory, but still good. Over the last few years the two boxes have flip flopped back and forth as to which one is better. But the initial magic in the earlier box has not been fully repeated. Something has been lost. Don't know why. Perhaps some of you des Dieux fans can chime in on your experiences.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave001 said:

I have boxes pre 1995 and about 80% of my stock is over 10 years old, far as I can tell NOPE, yes they lose the "punch" but for me that's the idea and they become so smooth and delicious

I concur. This is what the fun is about cigar smoking for me. Go through a box and over months and years work out when you enjoy them 'punchy' and when you enjoy them 'smooth and mild'. Just don't go past their 'peak' when you will be enjoying them 'bland'! (If it happens)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canadianbeaver said:

I dunno. That looks like a list that needs extensive testing with experienced members here with 1000-3000 posts plus. Set up a night with great music, food and booze and we'll see what we can do to help.

Least we can do so those cigars don't all go, you know, skunky on ya.

Sounds like the plan, CB!

• Like 2

Chekcout

On 1/8/2017 at 9:34 PM, mwaller said:

Like many a newbie, I may have gone a bit overboard with my purchases.  Let's just say that I probably have enough cigars to last me a decade...

Now I'm getting worried that my collection may expire before I get a chance to enjoy them....

Is there any truth to my concerns?  If so, how do I identify the cigars that aren't built for the long haul?

Thanks, Mwaller

Check out "The Newb Thread I Never Read" in my signature for thoughts with color pictures! ?

I don't think they go bad, but I've had some that lose their edge and get a little light after 10-12 years. 2001 Partagas EL SD3 come to mind.

By the same measure I've got 15 year old cigars that are smoking beautifully and better than ever. 2002 ERDM Tainos and Partagas Lusitanias, 01 Punch SS1, '99 Partagas Lonsdales all come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk