I was gifted a Mag56 and absolutely loved the cigar. However, I too was a little turned off with the ring and price. When it was up on24:24 not too long ago I did think about it and almost pulled the trigger.
I guess I will have to smoke the one JL1 I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be the outlier here and say that I would take a gently aged HU #2 over the Mag 56 for price and flavor. I get a lot of chocolate in the Mag 56 that I assume is from the wrapper because I get that same chocolate hit on the RACA. The RACA is a chocolate covered fruitcake and the Mag56 is a strong cafe mocha. I absolutely love that shortbread-coffee hit in a #2. You do get it in the Mag 56 but its a little subdued/covered by the chocolate.

JMO of course. 

On 4/14/2017 at 3:52 PM, Corylax18 said:

I am calling it here. Juan Lopez No 1s are a fantastic alternative for the Mag 56 and at a fair price and size!

I find this really interesting as H.Upmann is a strong forum favorite and well, JL is not. I do agree that recent JL1s are much bolder than the 12s and 13s I have. 

I think the Mag 56 and JL1 are more similar to each other, than either is to the rest of the Upmann Marca. I get more doughy/bready (some call it shortbread) flavors along with the coffee and often a slight sweetness in the Upmanns I've smoked. Those have mostly been PCs, some Connie 1s and Coronas Major. I have also found the Mag 46 to be an outlier in the marca. Much stronger cigars right from the word go. 

To my pallet the Mag 56 and eapecially the JL 1 don't have quite the same complexity. Just lots of in your face black coffee. I have picked up some hints of bread dough and chocolate from the 56s I've smoked but they were fleeting and on the periphery. The complexity should come with age, I think the JLs will calm down over the next 5+ years, but I don't see the same complexity developing. 

• Like 1