Calling all audiophiles: advice please!!

Update:  Turntables made it here via FedEx.  After doing a bit of reading I ordered the Vincent PHO-8 preamp.  Like the separate power supply.  Like the look.  Like the price (older/discontinued version?).  Like the MM/MC accommodation.   Will see how it all "turns" out....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BG9YSY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 2 months later...

So, here's where we ended up...   The Technics turntable doesn't work so far...  When I move the arm over the record the platter does not spin.  Maybe a stuck switch...?   Who knows.   

The Sony does however.  So far it has none of the problems I read about on the 'net, and hoping it never does. And I picked up a Vincent Pho 8 preamp because I liked the seriously stout power source it uses.  So far the Sony works wonderfully.  It has an audio technica stylus that seems okay to this point. Been spinning discs all afternoon here.  Found stuff I forgot I had, and played some stuff I got in anticipation of getting this rig up and running. Getting a free working turntable allowed the expenditure on the preamp. 

Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee never sounded so good, and the Police liked it enough to make an apperance as well (among others). Finally got to listen to that "Gretsch Night at Birdland" record I've had all these years and never got to hear....  

Go Philly Joe!!

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the update! I wasn't sure where this was going to go when you first started this journey but this is a fantastic outcome :-)

I enjoy my vinyl collection very much so I'm glad you were able to work it out!

• Like 1