Help me write a brief for a Mycologist.

29 minutes ago, JLFIRST said:

You need patience for someone to gather their papers and research. Especially when it was done under contract for another company. I only used that to show you the difference between mold and plume. I left out the pictures of the crystalline structure and other things because frankly, I'm tired of you trying to pick apart anything I post. Being in R&D for tobacco and also an Organic chemist, I don't need to argue with anyone about things I've done in the past. That also goes for things that others have done that have been published. I'm going to step away from this now and you have fun with it.

Sorry, I left off a few of the sources from that article. Before you bash it from being from CA, find out who wrote the piece.

“Wrapped Up: Some of the World’s Best Cigars Use Connecticut Tobacco Wrapper Leaves” Cigar Aficionado, Winter 1992

The Havana Cigar: Cuba’s Finest, Charles Del Tedesco. Abbeville Press, 1997

“Land of Fire: Ecuadoran Cigar Wrapper Tobacco Thrives in a World of Volcanoes and Perpetual Cloud Cover” Cigar Aficionado, March/April 2000

The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Cigars, Ted Gage. Alpha, 1997

Cheers, JLFIRST

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

First... My apologies if that is the impression that you got from me. I am not "picking you apart," but yes I am being critical of what you have said...

I am not going to explain myself further, that will likely just get me in a deeper hole. I am a skeptic, you can see that. I am not criticizing your work, for none has been identified by you, to me as 'your work.' I would like to see it... still.

I will leave you with this. How you partake is up to you, but please, don't let me chase you away! That was never an intent. Yes, I challenged you, but not to offend you! I would like you to understand that, and if I have offended you, please accept my apology here and now and put it behind you.

I am sorry!

Please don't let my ways of 'prosecuting' a position, make you feel as though you are being persecuted! That was never the case. Again, please accept my apologies! Posting further is up to you, but I don't want you leaving on my account.

Cheers! -Ray

• Like 3

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Might be easiest to find someone with some well sealed/cellared pipe tobacco.  Its much more common to find bloom/plume on pipe tobacco that has been aged and well sealed I believe.   Below is a great

I'm sure that whoever you choose for the task, they're credentials will be impeccable.

One of our goals for 2017 is to put some facts to the mold/plume/bloom/ debate.  No better time than to start now  Here are my thoughts as to how the process will pan out.  January:    w

2 hours ago, JLFIRST said:

You need patience for someone to gather their papers and research. Especially when it was done under contract for another company.

I think, the point is, we would really need and appreciate input from guys like you! You claim to be a chemist working in R+D in the tobacco industry - man, that's pretty much perfect! But then you don't bring any more facts to the debate other than citing pale grey literature. That may have been the reason for the persistence in the "tone" of Piggy (I won't speak for him, and he explained it to you). It's not at all about picking someone's posts apart, but getting the 'plain' facts sorted out. For me at least that has been a bit disenthralling so far. Would be really great if you could indeed supplement or point us all towards those relevant research papers, which you are alluding to in your post.

Edit: And I am even on "your" side, as - unlike Piggy - I am not challenging the existence of "bloom" in cigars :D. But I am completely open here, eager to learn more about it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fugu said:

I think, the point is, we would really need and appreciate input from guys like you! You claim to be a chemist working in R+D in the tobacco industry - man, that's pretty much perfect! But then you don't bring any more facts to the debate other than citing pale grey literature. That may have been the reason for the persistence in the "tone" of Piggy (I won't speak for him, and he explained it to you). It's not at all about picking someone's posts apart, but getting the 'plain' facts sorted out. For me at least that has been a bit disenthralling so far. Would be really great if you could indeed supplement or point us all towards those relevant research papers, which you are alluding to in your post.

Edit: And I am even on "your" side, as - unlike Piggy - I am not challenging the existence of "bloom" in cigars :D. But I am completely open here, eager to learn more about it.

Sometimes you need to open a window and let in some air, or have a fresh perspective (from a friend with a clear head).

You are right, I don't believe in plume! But, like you I have an open mind to competent work that is conclusive and definitive.

Thanks for this mate! Cheers! -R

• Like 2

First... My apologies if that is the impression that you got from me. I am not "picking you apart," but yes I am being critical of what you have said...

I am not going to explain myself further, that will likely just get me in a deeper hole. I am a skeptic, you can see that. I am not criticizing your work, for none has been identified by you, to me as 'your work.' I would like to see it... still.

I will leave you with this. How you partake is up to you, but please, don't let me chase you away! That was never an intent. Yes, I challenged you, but not to offend you! I would like you to understand that, and if I have offended you, please accept my apology here and now and put it behind you.

I am sorry!

Please don't let my ways of 'prosecuting' a position, make you feel as though you are being persecuted! That was never the case. Again, please accept my apologies! Posting further is up to you, but I don't want you leaving on my account.

Cheers! -Ray

Ray, I really appreciate your apology and more than accept it, consider this behind us. I also might have taken some things personal which were not intended that way. I'm currently dealing with disability after 4 lower back surgeries and multiple fusions. After over 4 years it's wearing things and me thin, Enough of that though.
I've posted things that I've had some experience with, lacking my work. This is because all of my R&D paperwork is in a file cabinet at a storage facility. I will get these as soon as I possibly can. As a flavor chemist, I had a very close relationship with the leaf. I'm only trying to help the forum, that's all.
I know we are all here because of our passion for the leaf. I'll stick around and see how this goes. I'm looking forward to helping out. Thanks again Piggy.
JLFIRST

• Like 2

On 1/2/2017 at 11:56 PM, El Presidente said:

One of our goals for 2017 is to put some facts to the mold/plume/bloom/ debate. 

I will fund the study if you fine people can do some of the hard yards on providing input from which we will put together the brief.

Thanks for taking this on - it will be interesting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JLFIRST said:

Ray, I really appreciate your apology and more than accept it, consider this behind us. I also might have taken some things personal which were not intended that way. I'm currently dealing with disability after 4 lower back surgeries and multiple fusions. After over 4 years it's wearing things and me thin, Enough of that though.
I've posted things that I've had some experience with, lacking my work. This is because all of my R&D paperwork is in a file cabinet at a storage facility. I will get these as soon as I possibly can. As a flavor chemist, I had a very close relationship with the leaf. I'm only trying to help the forum, that's all.
I know we are all here because of our passion for the leaf. I'll stick around and see how this goes. I'm looking forward to helping out. Thanks again Piggy.
JLFIRST

I am glad mate... no offense intended.

I do understand your spine issue, believe me. A couple days before Christmas, I had several disks dissected and the vertebrae fused in my neck... Not as extensive as your work certainly, but even trying to pull off a few hours of simple tasks in the shop leaves me in a very bad mood!

... some friends have sent me cigars!!! Poor me... -LOL

Glad you are sticking around and hope you feel better! Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

It would be interesting (At least to my simple noggin) to find out if there is any truth to the blacklight claim; that plume is flourescent under it, while bloom and mould is not

Never heard this... Time to break out those 60's velvet posters!!! -LOL Okay, age check, who remembers velvet posters???

-Piggy

• Like 1

I am glad mate... no offense intended.

I do understand your spine issue, believe me. A couple days before Christmas, I had several disks dissected and the vertebrae fused in my neck... Not as extensive as your work certainly, but even trying to pull off a few hours of simple tasks in the shop leaves me in a very bad mood!

... some friends have sent me cigars!!! Poor me... -LOL

Glad you are sticking around and hope you feel better! Cheers! -Piggy

I had seen your neck surgery and work you had done. That is why I mentioned mine, I normally don't talk about it. I also never meant to be argumentative and I'm glad we are past that now.
I look forward to being able to contribute again. I have begun to really feel useless not being the contributer I've always been. I thank you for the well wishes and I'll be around, no worries!
JLFIRST