One that flies under the radar: Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona

To whom these smokes (RG Perlas) did not smoke as one may have thought before purchasing I

agree that they were harsh and full bodied. Not at all smooth for my tastes. Bought TWO boxes

thinking the first box was a fluke (not a fish) and either smoked some of the first box (kept tiring) and

gave the remaining cigars to my friends when they put the beg on me. Again thought I should

give them a another chance but alas they were no different then the first box. Mind you

they had a year or two to settle (aged) down but same thing. Gave 90% of them away

to cousins / friends and also hippsters at my local bar who smoke cigars

as if they were smoking cigarettes tapping them, smoking at sonic speed,

record time 5 minutes then looking for more you know the types.

So it does not look as if I will revisit this one anytime soon. To many standard,

proven smokes (CC's) out there to be smoked and enjoyed. GOOD LUCK TO ONE AND ALL!

Good one. Confusing humidity decrease with maturation has nothing to to with experience — it's (a lack of) basic knowledge.

Please explain us how dryboxing helps the degradation of tannins…

It doesn't. I think you know what they're getting at when they say dry boxing helps the cigar smoke better. As you already know, as tobacco ages, it becomes less hygroscopic, and in this way, dry boxing helps the cigar smoke better and is less harsh and bitter caused by the steam.

I've never had the PC from them but had the Petit Piramides German release and it was excellent. I'd love to find more of those if I could only 5 left. How do th PC compare to those of you that have had both?

I've never had the PC from them but had the Petit Piramides German release and it was excellent. I'd love to find more of those if I could only 5 left. How do th PC compare to those of you that have had both?

I really like the RE you are talking about. I think they are excellent. I also really like the PC. I very much prefer the PC vitola over any size piramide, that and for about the same price you get a 25ct box instead of 10.

Off the top of my head -

burnt/sugared almonds,

milk coffee,

toast,

not as creamy as Corona Extra but still plenty,

floral overtones,

touch of forest soil when young.

LOVE THEM!!!

Cheers, Alex

I would agree with the coffee notes for sure - they are tasty cigars and I like the understated band

The Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona ..........I don't think it even appears on a radar lol3.gif

Came across some fantastic boxes this week and it dawned on me that I would have had no more than two this past year. I am not sure why as I have always enjoyed them.

So I have made it my cigar of the weekend (have taken three).

So you've found some boxes to put up on an upcoming 24:24? Sounds exciting! Let us know how those RGPC's smoked this weekend. lol3.gif

• 2 years later...

RG perlas was my first box purchase upon reentering the hobby last year. I was quite pleased to say the least. 

I’ve got an OR 2011 in my humidor, thanks to @awkwardPause  I’m thinking of lighting it up tonight to enjoy this perfect weather (a rare occurrence in DC). He’s described it as the best cigar he’s had this year. I’m certain to enjoy it - all the moreso for it being a heartfelt gift from a friend!!

5 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

RG perlas was my first box purchase upon reentering the hobby last year. I was quite pleased to say the least.

Been very happy with RG Perlas, especially the 14s which are better than the 12s I've had IMO. Much happier with them than with the RGPCs I've had. I think the RGP are right on par with Monte 5 and are 30-40% cheaper. Along with the PLP, possibly the best value in CCs today. 

• Like 1

SOM JUN 16 are fabulous. I've become obsessed with these of late. I think they might become the Dip 4 of the future (if they ever get deleted). Heavily packed, yet perfect draw, Potent lush aroma, crammed with favour. slow complex smoke, ageing potential through the roof.

These are stellar, really loving them, and currently stockpiling. 

• Like 2

RG Petit Coronas & Perlas are absolutely outstanding. Get no respect at all and that’s the way i like it - more for me!

The Panetelas Extra are even pretty damned solid.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Been very happy with RG Perlas, especially the 14s which are better than the 12s I've had IMO. Much happier with them than with the RGPCs I've had. I think the RGP are right on par with Monte 5 and are 30-40% cheaper. Along with the PLP, possibly the best value in CCs today. 

My experience is similar. I've never had a bad Perla, and the 2015 I have are excellent; nice wrappers, perfect construction, full rounded flavours, each time I smoke one I smile stupidly as I remember how little money I spent on this delight…

10 hours ago, 99call said:

SOM JUN 16 are fabulous. I've become obsessed with these of late. I think they might become the Dip 4 of the future (if they ever get deleted). Heavily packed, yet perfect draw, Potent lush aroma, crammed with favour. slow complex smoke, ageing potential through the roof.

These are stellar, really loving them, and currently stockpiling. 

Perlas or PC's? I find the RG PC to be a very good cigar ,albeit a bit on the lighter flavored side.  Still a value priced PC. I would love to try a Dip4, does anyone still have a good amount of them and be willing to trade one for a few sticks of mine? 

Just now, NYgarman said:

Perlas or PC's? I find the RG PC to be a very good cigar ,albeit a bit on the lighter flavored side.  Still a value priced PC. I would love to try a Dip4, does anyone still have a good amount of them and be willing to trade one for a few sticks of mine? 

Pc's. I have a box of Dip 3's and 4's but sadly want to hold on to them sorry. They are lovely, but no more so than current RGPCs. I'm sure someone in the trade room will sort you out with a swap out. Best of luck

4 minutes ago, 99call said:

Pc's. I have a box of Dip 3's and 4's but sadly want to hold on to them sorry. They are lovely, but no more so than current RGPCs. I'm sure someone in the trade room will sort you out with a swap out. Best of luck

Totally understandable. Do the Dip4 share any flavor notes with the RG PC? I was gifted a Dip3 once, had no idea how much age on it nor the year but it had a distinctive oriental spice note to it that I had not really ever tasted before. Unique to say the least.

Just now, NYgarman said:

Totally understandable. Do the Dip4 share any flavor notes with the RG PC? I was gifted a Dip3 once, had no idea how much age on it nor the year but it had a distinctive oriental spice note to it that I had not really ever tasted before. Unique to say the least.

Old dips that I've had, have got a weird mix of German gingerbread and a flavour that remenisent of rich beeswax furniture polish. Sounds terrible. But a very nice smoke. RGpc and Dip both have sweet baking spice in common. But to me RGpc have a bit of savoury Sancho in them as well. A lovely blend

24 minutes ago, 99call said:

Old dips that I've had, have got a weird mix of German gingerbread and a flavour that remenisent of rich beeswax furniture polish. Sounds terrible. But a very nice smoke. RGpc and Dip both have sweet baking spice in common. But to me RGpc have a bit of savoury Sancho in them as well. A lovely blend

I find the RG PC to be a toned down Monte4 with a bit more floral and less roasted coffee punch. 

Needless to say that Dip 3 was unique and I haven't tasted those flavor notes since in any cigar!

5 hours ago, Buck14 said:

RG Petit Coronas & Perlas are absolutely outstanding. Get no respect at all and that’s the way i like it - more for me!

Dangerous, counteractive mindset, mate (while it's clear what you mean ;)). Advertise them wherever you can, before they get the axe!!

The PC is what I call a serious cigar. Good tobacco, solid blending, no chichi, excellent value - and despite this two-year old thread (haha) still under the radar. Everybody should give them a try, and this holds in particular for those folks who bought the 88: Shame on you should you haven't tried a RGPC as yet!  :devil2:  :D

• Like 3