FORMULA 1 - 2014

ANDREA AGNELLI SET TO BE NEW FERRARI PRESIDENT

Andrea-Agnelli-Bologna-FC-v-Juventus-FC-

Ferrari could be set for yet another change right at the top of the Maranello marque after the departure of long-time president Luca di Montezemolo recently, with Fiat Chrysler chairman Sergio Marchionne taking over, made huge media waves.
But it might not be the final act, as the looming Montezemolo exit became reality, a member of the influential Agnelli family backed the controversial news.
Andrea Agnelli, whose uncle was the great Fiat figurehead Gianni Agnelli, had said it was “right” that Ferrari’s efforts to improve “involves new people”.
He was speaking as president of the Juventus football club. But now, the Italian newspaper Libero claims 38-year-old Agnelli, already a Fiat board member, is set to become Montezemolo’s long-term successor as Ferrari president.
The report was stated by Luciano Moggi, a former Juventus chief.
“Informed reports say that the wily strategists at Fiat are thinking that to revitalise Ferrari there is no one better than a winner like Andrea,” he said.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

RALF SCHUMACHER IN BITTER DIVORCE DISPUTE

cora_schumacher__ralf_schumacher_4.jpg

Ralf Schumacher is locked in a bitter dispute with his wife Cora, as the couple head towards divorce.
The German-language magazine Closer reports that the 39-year-old younger brother of Formula 1 legend Michael, and his wife Cora are now communicating only through lawyers.
Bild newspaper said they are fighting over former Williams and Toyota driver Ralf’s €100 million fortune, their homes in Germany, Austria and France, and their 13-year-old son David.

Rosberg vows to 'dig in'

nico-rosberg-2014-singapore-gp-mercedes_

Nico Rosberg has vowed "dig in" to get to the bottom of his Singapore woes in order to prevent a repeat in the remainder of the season.
The German endured a nightmare race at the Marina Bay on Sunday with his issues starting before the race even got underway. Although he eventually got going from the pitlane, he was forced to retire with the team putting his problems down to a wiring loom failure in the steering column.
Having started the weekend with a 22-point lead at the top of the Drivers' Championship, team-mate Lewis Hamilton's victory means he is now three points behind in the standings.
With five races still to go, Rosberg is determined to make sure there are no more mechanical problems.
"There is no reason why we keep having these faults," he. "It's clear that's the point we need to focus on the most because the performance is there, as we saw again in the race with Lewis' car which was strong, so it's the reliability that needs to be improved.
"I now want to dig in with the team to try to understand what went wrong.
"It's not that I'll be demanding anything different from what I've asked and hoped for in the past because they are already focusing a lot on reliability.
"They are working crazy hours, working hard, but maybe there is a need to review their approach and try to improve in that area.
"That's not a demand because the whole team wants the same thing, I want the same thing.
"Everybody is doing the best possible job, but we need to try and improve."

McLaren 'making bold new moves'

Jenson-Button_3206657.jpg

McLaren engineering director Matt Morris feels the team will soon reap the benefits following a major restructuring process.
After a disastrous 2013 campaign during which they failed to claim a single podium, the Woking squad opted for an overhaul and that has continued into this season.
Although they are still well off the pace of frontrunners Mercedes, McLaren have managed to edge closer to the chasing pack and Morris says they are determined to improve during the final five races of the season.
"We need to continue to catch up with our competitors as quickly as possible," he told the official McLaren website. "We also need to ensure that our new 2015 power unit integrates into the MP4-30 as seamlessly as possible, and that we continue to develop our already strong relationship with our new engine partner."
He added: "I think the feeling within the team is a mix of great excitement and measured concern. We're making some bold new moves, which is what was required, but such things always take time, and we're still a long way behind where we need to be as McLaren. But we're definitely moving forwards - that's the most important thing."
As for the changes behind the scenes, Morris says they still have a few more things in the pipeline.
"Yes, we've been working hard over the past year to bring in some new people, allow a few people to move on, and change the way the engineering team is structured," he said.
"With the valuable input of Jonathan [Neale, Chief Operating Officer and acting Chief Executive Officer] and Eric [boullier, Racing Director], that plan is now almost complete.
"However, we do still have a few more people in the incoming and outgoing pipelines, which is something that always happens when you want to stay fresh. We now need to give our new people and structures some time to develop and mature, but we're already seeing some of those changes coming to fruition as we continue to add performance to the car."

Why an engine unfreeze is good for Formula 1

v6_image_2_front_three_quarter.jpg

The thing that kills Formula 1 teams faster than anything is having to pay for engines.

In the old days everyone could have a Cosworth at a moderate price and they could be moderately successful if they built a good car. But times have changed and there are no Cosworths left in F1. They have been driven out by manufacturers spending on engine development – and worthless development outside the F1 bubble, come to that. So, the FIA in the pre-Todt era figured out the best thing to do would be to ask the manufacturers what they wanted from F1 and then give them it. This is what the new rules are and Todt and his men can take credit for getting this done.

So modern Formula 1 is what the manufacturers have asked for.

Now, the teams will tell you that the new engines are too expensive and the manufacturers will tell you that they must charge customers because their bosses want to minimize the cost of F1. What no one will tell you is how to fix the problem.

It seems to me that if one has an F1 with more manufacturers, each bound, say, to provide a customer engine at a set price for a second team – if called upon to do so – we would be in a healthier state. If the rules are what manufacturers want and the F1 world hits the markets they are aiming at, one needs to understand why there is a problem getting more companies into F1. Thus far only Honda has risen to the challenge. At first glance F1 is an obvious move for Audi, BMW, Peugeot and Hyundai to name just a few.

It is also logical for firms such as Renault to use the technology they have developed to promote more than one brand. If Infiniti (a Renault partner) wants to be in F1 with Red Bull with a rebadged V6, why not? Similarly why does Ferrari not badge an engine as Chrysler and get some US interest going in F1, to help sell both brands. When you work through the possibilities, one can see that getting to 12 teams with different cost-effective engines is not impossible.

So why is it not happening?
The first thought I have is that Formula 1 has the right technology but the wrong image, while ironically Formula E is the opposite. F1 has an image of reckless extravagance that the car industry definitely does not want. The whole industry is geared towards financial efficiency and F1 does not fit. That is easily changed with a properly presented FIA cost cap regulation. That would benefit everyone in more than one way. The problem is that this requires political backbone and good presentation skills, neither of which the FIA has at the moment.
Some say the the man who is trying to solve F1’s problems is in fact part of the problem himself, but it is hard to judge if this is true. That could be found out if CVC Capital Partners – the owners of the commercial side of the sport – asked the car manufacturers about their reticence to join in, despite the fact that F1 is what they want.
If I were Frank Williams, Peter Sauber, Vijay Mallya or Dietrich Mateschitz I would be touring the world, talking to car companies.
Catching up with the technology is not so hard if one can hire a couple of people who know how to do it. And if the level of competition on F1 is balanced more, as will happen as the formula matures, it is quite possible for six or seven car companies to enjoy success and the halo effect of the sport.
Closing down the development potential makes F1 less valuable for the industry and less attractive to the individual car companies looking for ways to sell their wares.

Verstappen is “like Senna” – Marko

498755897_DI_9995_60A758337076414CA85859

Max Verstappen is a talent worthy of comparison with Ayrton Senna, according to Red Bull’s motorsport director Helmut Marko.
Marko described Verstappen, who turns 17 years old next week and will drive for Toro Rosso next year, as “an exceptional talent that comes along only once in decades”.
In an interview with the official F1 website Marko compared Verstappen to Senna, who like Verstappen went straight into F1 from Formula Three.
“In such a case you must not look at his age,” said Marko. “He has been talking with people who are experts when it comes to the development of youngsters and they all say that (in terms of) his mind he is more like 22 than 16.”
“And regarding his skills behind the steering wheel, he has been racing since he was four years old – professionally. So we expect him to be competitive from the first race.”
Verstappen will be the youngest driver ever to start an F1 race by almost two years when he makes his debut in the 2015 F1 season. But Marko said Red Bull were not taking a chance by choosing him.
“We are not playing the lottery,” he said. “We know what we are doing. And success proves us right.”
Verstappen has already tested one of Toro Rosso’s F1 cars and will drive for the team in free practice sessions later this year. “He’s in the simulator whenever possible and he’s working on his physique and psychology with top experts,” said Marko.
“Yes, some things became visible that we will have to address for the 2015 season. Having said that, he is getting the perfect ‘schooling’ before he gets on the grid.”
MIKA: Yes sure let's believe that load of rubbish. I admire Senna, I don't love him but one cannot compare Max to Ayrton. I mean, did Senna ever do this during a demonstration? Start watching from 1:13 ish.

Analysis: Fernando Alonso and Ferrari F1 team at a critical point

1411550066.jpg

Ferrari is accustomed to batting away rampant speculation about Fernando Alonso's Formula 1 future, but its relationship with the Spaniard has reached a defining moment.
The tensions that emerged in Singapore - as Alonso spoke of factions trying to damage him and Ferrari by fuelling rumours of his departure - point towards a change of mood inside the team after months of insisting all was united.
Where once Alonso was destined to end his career at Maranello, the situation is now less clear cut.
A NEW CHAPTER FOR THE PRANCING HORSE
With stalwarts Stefano Domenicali and Luca di Montezemolo departing during 2014, Ferrari's political situation is very different.
The arrival of new team principal Marco Mattiacci, allied to fresh impetus from new Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne, has manifested itself in a steely determination to get back to the front of F1.
This leaves no room for sentimentality, no reason to keep doing things because that is how they were done in the past, and certainly no time for passengers who are not fully committed to the cause.
1411550390.jpg
That commitment aspect has emerged as a key factor.
In Alonso, Ferrari knows it has one of best F1 drivers there is, perhaps the best. But Ferrari needs more than just his brilliance right now.
Amid the changes, there is a sense that Ferrari needs convincing Alonso's heart is in pushing for long-term success together - not simply treading water until he has a winning car or a better offer comes up elsewhere.
Marchionne himself made clear, in reference to di Montezemolo, that nobody at Ferrari was indispensable, and his words now ring true of Alonso too.
"When the company changes its mind, or at least when objectives aren't shared anymore, things change," he said.
There is talk of unease about excessive demands from Alonso amid contract extension talks.
Suggestions too of irritation that Alonso has been evaluating what else is on offer at a time of renewed Ferrari efforts.
UNDERACHIEVING ON TRACK
Ferrari and Alonso do want the same thing: to win together.
Yet there is understandable frustration from the Spaniard that Ferrari's on-track performance has let him down again in 2014.
His manager Flavio Briatore, who says Alonso is now "used" to Ferrari's struggles, admitted at the Italian Grand Prix that the time had come for the team to step up.
Asked whether there was interest in accepting an offer from McLaren, Briatore told AUTOSPORT: "I believe he was already at McLaren... I don't think it was a perfect combination. But you never know, people can change.
"Fernando wants to win and wants to have a competitive car.
"Ferrari have everything to win. Di Montezemolo has done so much to boost the finances of the team, now the people inside the team need to get their act together."
PARTNERSHIP NOT DOOMED
Frustration on both sides does not automatically mean their relationship is doomed.
Yet there is a sense that the time is fast approaching for a mutual decision to be taken: renew their commitment to each other or agree to go their separate ways.
1411550364.jpg
There is no automatic way out for Alonso. Several sources with good knowledge of the situation have made it clear that his contract is watertight, with no performance clauses that would allow him to walk.
But it is also unlikely that he would be forced to see out his contract if both parties decided they would be better off apart.
The situation is especially critical because Alonso's current deal runs until the end of 2016, while Sebastian Vettel - who many suggest is Ferrari's number one target - could be available after '15.
DECISION TIME
Not even Alonso and Ferrari bosses currently know what the outcome of the next few weeks' critical talks will be.
A new deal beyond 2016 and a renewed enthusiasm to make Maranello great again together is not impossible.
Equally there could come an acceptance that it is time to part, leaving Alonso to move to a rival in 2015 or '16, or perhaps forced to take a sabbatical.
Even Briatore, the man who has guided Alonso's entire career in F1 and knows well how paddock politics work, admitted it was impossible to predict what is going to happen.
"I don't have the crystal ball," he said. "I just see now - and Mercedes are up there."

VETTEL: I WILL BE DRIVING FOR RED BULL NEXT YEAR

Sebastian-Vettel-F1-Grand-Prix-Italy-Qua

Defending world champion Sebastian Vettel, responding to recent reports linking him to a possible move to Ferrari, insisted that he was staying put at Red Bull for next season.
“I’ve already said on numerous occasions that I’ve got a contract with Red Bull for next year and I’m working on the principle that I will still be driving for them,” he told Sport Bild.
Vettel, world champion for the past four seasons, has struggled to make an impact this year, failing to win once as his rookie teammate Daniel Ricciardo has excelled with three victories.
The 27-year-old German added: “I’ve still got a lot to achieve with this team and I want to do everything to ensure that we make a comeback.”
166989348XX00037_F1_Grand_P-750x500.jpg
Last week F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone stoked the flames of the Vettel-Ferrari rumour mill by suggesting that Vettel “would be the perfect man for Ferrari, if he wanted to leave”.
Despite Vettel finding himself in the unaccustomed role of playing second fiddle to Australian Ricciardo he is taking his lack of success in good heart.
“Daniel has done a very, very good job and has made life difficult for me,” he said. “But it’s good for the team’s morale. His results have proved that our car isn’t as bad as all that.”
Vettel finished runner-up to championship leader Lewis Hamilton in Singapore on Sunday for his best placing of 2014. Prior to this season he won four F1 world titles in a row with the Milton Keynes based outfit and notching up 38 wins with the team. His maiden victory was at Monza in 2008 for Toro Rosso.

BRABHAM TEAM COULD RETURN TO THE F1 GRID

84usa_032.jpg

Formula 1 could see the return of the fabled Brabham team if enough fans and investors buy into a project presented by the son of late triple world champion Jack Brabham on Wednesday.
David Brabham said he planned to use “crowdfunding” to build a team to compete in next year’s world endurance championship and enter the Le Mans 24 Hours sportscar race as a full constructor in 2018.
The cash-burning world of Formula 1, where even the smallest teams require annual budgets of at least $60 million, may be a step too far but it remained a distant aspiration.
“I have long dreamt of seeing the Brabham team back out on the track, winning at the highest level and continuing the legacy my father laid down when he first started the team in the Sixties,” the Australian said in a statement.
“To bring Brabham back we have to do things differently,” the 2009 Le Mans winner added.
dcd121310ja05.jpg
David Brabham dreaming of a return to top shelf motorsport for his team
“After careful consideration and research we have created a new model of open source racing, which will bring fans closer to the action, inspire drivers and engineers around the world and offer the rare opportunity to be a part of this new but historical race team.”
Brabham, whose father won the Formula 1 championship as a driver and constructor, invited fans to get involved for as little as a 1 pound ($1.6).
“I am a big believer in the power of collective thinking and see many advantages in this model that will help Brabham become a winning team once again, but in a new and inspiring way,” said Brabham, who won Le Mans with Peugeot. “Who knows where that could lead? Back to Formula One, I hope.”
The Brabham team, which won back-to-back constructors’ and drivers’ titles in 1966 and 1967 with Jack Brabham and New Zealander Denny Hulme, folded in 1992 after Britain’s future champion Damon Hill had made his debut with them.
The team scored 120 podium finishes, of which 35 were victories and along the way won four Formula 1 drivers’ titles: Jack Brabham (1966), Denny Hulme (1967) and Nelson Piquet (1981 and 1983).
David Brabham had a brief Formula One career with Brabham, in 1990, and then the ill-fated Simtek team in 1994.

RALF SCHUMACHER IN BITTER DIVORCE DISPUTE

cora_schumacher__ralf_schumacher_4.jpg

Ralf Schumacher is locked in a bitter dispute with his wife Cora, as the couple head towards divorce.
The German-language magazine Closer reports that the 39-year-old younger brother of Formula 1 legend Michael, and his wife Cora are now communicating only through lawyers.
Bild newspaper said they are fighting over former Williams and Toyota driver Ralf’s €100 million fortune, their homes in Germany, Austria and France, and their 13-year-old son David.

I would have to say this was one of my more favorite F1 updates in recent memory.

smile.png

• Like 1

Bernie: Onus is on the teams

Bernie-Ecclestone_3140729.jpg

Bernie Ecclestone says the best way for F1 to lower ticket prices is for the teams to accept less money.
As the general cost of living increases, Formula 1 has taken a hit with fewer spectators attending grand prix weekends. This was very noticeable earlier in the season in Germany where around 50,000 tickets were sold compared to the 120,000 of yesteryear.
Race promoters blame tickets prices on the cost of hosting grands prix which prompted Toto Wolff to state that is "pretty clear" what needs to be done.
"We have dared to discuss ticket prices, and we discussed the impact and the importance of the traditional circuits like Spa, like Monza, like Hockenheim," he told Autosport.
"We need to go abroad and we need to conquer new territories and new countries, this always has been the case, but I guess it is pretty clear what needs to be done to fill the grandstands in the traditional races such as Hockenheim and Monza."
But if you ask Ecclestone, he says lower ticket prices are up to the teams as if they took less, he could charge less for hosting grands prix.
"Has he told you how?" asked Ecclestone of Wolff's comment. "You should tell him about reducing what they want for racing, and then we can reduce the fees.
"That is the problem. We collect money for the teams - the teams get 70 per cent of the revenue that comes from the promoters."
The F1 supremo also said there is more to the problem than just the price of attending grands prix as people more choice and not enough time to do it all.
"With sport, there is so much of it - and only so much time - that everything has lost a little bit. It's the same thing with the promoters."

Wolff: Unfreeze opens a can of worms

formula-one-grand-formula-1-prix-toto-wo

Toto Wolff says he has concerns about the consequences of relaxing F1's engine freeze rules as the sport needs "stability."
With Renault and Ferrari lagging behind Mercedes power unit, there has been talk of late about relaxing the freeze to allow teams to develop their engines.
Ferrari team boss Marco Mattiacci recently gave his support but insisted it was not a bid to negate Mercedes' advantage but rather because F1 is about "innovating and catching up with the best."
However, Mercedes motorsport boss Wolff is in two minds about it as he says it would increase costs while also raising questions about fairness.
"It's a difficult one, because I strongly believe we need stability in the regulations," Wolff told ESPN.
"Personally, I'm not keen on it because more costs will incur. Equally, how can you make sure everybody is on the same spec?
"It triggers so many consequences and you open up a can of worms by doing that.
"We are trying to be productive. I think it is [about] not forgetting your own agenda but doing it for the benefit of Formula One."

Too late to add a third car for 2015 - McLaren

_MG_2776.jpg

To add a third car would take at least six months according to McLaren's Eric Boullier and therefore it might already be too late to implement should Bernie Ecclestone get his way.

The 83-year-old has hinted at the idea for several years, but only last weekend took a major step forward in consulting the teams on the matter and telling the media that within the next two or three races a final decision would be made.

That won't come in time according to Boullier who notes the logistical challenge of not only building but operating a third car.

"Hiring the driver is the easiest to get on board," he said.

"However, to build the chassis, sort the logistics and to get the people around, we would need at least six months' notice."

Force India's Vijay Mallya also expressed concern over the cost of an additional car after Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff predicted it could cost an additional £26 million.

"We are going to demand compensation to build a third car, we're not going to do it for free," said Mallya.

"I'm sure the commercial rights holder realises that – he's got to make it economically viable. This year you see both Mercedes ahead of everybody else and in the last few years we had Red Bulls in front of everyone else. So now you want the entire podium to be occupied by one team. It doesn't make too much sense does it?"

Broken radiator seal to blame for Magnussen burns

_L4R8071.jpg

Kevin Magnussen's complaints of intense heat inside his McLaren cockpit during the Singapore Grand Prix was down to a broken radiator seal.

The Danish driver complained over the radio that his seat was getting hot and that his drink was burning his mouth. After the race, McLaren were confused as to what could have caused it, but have now confirmed that a broken radiator seal was directing hot air past his drinks bottle and into the cockpit.

Speaking to the media, racing director Eric Boullier confirmed the issue had been resolved: "Regarding Kevin it is already fixed, so will never happen again."

The team are still awaiting information from Mercedes as to why Jenson Button's engine cut off in the closing laps of the race, ruining his chance of scoring points.

"We don't have yet the full answer on what happened to Jenson, but there was an electrical issue from the power box."

Ferrari targeting Hamilton as Alonso replacement?

alonso-hamilton-1092LB1D2583.jpg

Speculation surrounding Fernando Alonso's future has gotten wilder as the days pass. The Spaniard has now been linked with a return to Lotus - some have even suggested he is set to invest in the team - but one thing is for sure...he holds the key to the driver market.

Once his position for 2015 has been settled, the remaining dominoes should begin to fall in place and it's likely they'll fall exactly where they stand if he remains at the prancing horse. However should at least one of the rumours prove to be true, be that McLaren, Red Bull, Mercedes or even Lotus, then the driver market could be set for a major reshuffle.

According to journalist Adam Cooper via a source close to the Italian team, Ferrari are preparing for Alonso's departure and are actively seeking a replacement in the form of Lewis Hamilton rather than the more likely Sebastian Vettel.

"Hamilton now figures high on Maranello’s wish list, and indeed the Briton might be more easily able to walk away from Mercedes in 2015 than some might believe," writes Cooper.

"He's certainly less tied down than Vettel."

Why would Ferrari want to rid themselves of one of if not the most highly regarded driver on the grid though?

Marco Mattiacci is believed to have implemented a five year plan to turn things around and Alonso simply doesn't fit because of his age. He'll be 38 by the time Mattiacci's plan is in full swing and that's considered 'over the hill' in F1 terms. Hamilton however will still be in his prime and some in the paddock reckon he would happily leave the strained-relationship between him and Nico Rosberg at Mercedes if he can at least add another world championship to his tally.

The 'source' however could simply be sending the media on a wild goose chase as the 'silly season' continues in full swing.

We're likely to know more - much more if some are to be believed - within the next couple of races. It's either going to be a year of major change, or one of stability.

RB10 just doesn't suit my driving style admits Vettel

vettel-eyes-visor-iufd.jpg

Sebastian Vettel is certain that the RB10 simply doesn't suit his driving style and that is the reason he has struggled so much this season compared to team-mate Daniel Ricciardo.

The four-time world champion is currently 57 points behind the Australian, but enjoyed his best ever race weekend in Singapore after finishing second. After the race however he admitted he couldn't push the car as it simply wouldn't do what he wanted, something he reiterated again.

"Every time I want to push or make something happen, it just doesn't," explained Vettel.

"I think it is a characteristic of this year's car in combination with the downforce we have, with the tyres. It just maybe doesn't give me yet what I want in a certain area of the corner.

"That is not an excuse, because in the end I have to get the best out of the car. We've done a lot of progress but there is a lot we can do better."

Vettel enjoys a more stable car, but with the loss of rear-down force thanks to the ban on double diffusers and the increased torque from the new engine, he has struggled to get to grips with how the 2014 cars drive. These changes are forcing him to adapt his style which he admits is "tricky".

"Obviously you drive the way you think is quickest, whether that means you have to hold back or you have to push, it depends on the situation. "It is not that straightforward this year and it is not always consistent, so that is the tricky bit."

Fernando Alonso and JFK

tt_image_3075418.jpg

Fernando Alonso is at the centre of every rumour known to man. He’s going to Red Bull, McLaren, Lotus and Williams and, because he hasn’t denied being on the grassy knoll in Dallas in 1963, he is also thought to have been one of 13 shooters who assassinated President John F Kennedy.

In all honesty, the stories one reads about Alonso and it doesn't seem to matter if he denies them because it seems that few believe a word he says since the McLaren revelations of 2007 and, of course, Singapore 2008.
I do actually feel sorry for the bloke sometimes, but as a farmer or a priest will tell you, you reap what you sow in life.
Anyway, whether he is believed or not, he is respected as a great driver and he continues to show his extraordinary abilities at each and every Grand Prix. He does not let the slow Ferrari get him down, he just drives the wheels off it, never gives up and currently lies fourth on the Drivers’ World Championship in "Z" car that is good for ninth or 10th.
The fact that he has still only won two World Championships is astonishing, given his ability, although he has been rather good at being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
In theory, he’s going nowhere next year because of his Ferrari contract but we all know in Formula 1 a contract has as much value as toilet paper in this day and age.
McLaren would now love to have him and the only team that seems to not want Fernando that much is the one he currently drives for.
Down Maranello way, they are into five-year plans and five years from now Alonso will be 38 and, according to Formula 1 thinking, he will be "over the hill."
He has been talking of late of buying a professional cycling team and is currently waiting to hear if he has been granted a licence by the Union Cycliste Internationale (the FIA without the horsepower). The funny thing is that I am now hearing Alonso may also be considering buying himself a share of a Formula 1 team, for investment purposes.
There is some sound logic in this as some of the teams have all you need but simply lack the money to run properly. If the running budgets can be found then there are assets to be had cheaply at the moment.
F1 will eventually wake up to real world realities that there must be budget capping of some sort and when that happens the teams will all rise in value in dramatic fashion. It would be guessing to say which team might interest Alonso, but the teams looking for help include Lotus (for which he won two World Championships), Sauber, Caterham and Marussia. He might also be interested in Toro Rosso as the word is that after five years being co-owned by Red Bull and Aabar, the time is coming when options must be taken up or dropped.
Being a business partner with Dietrich Mateschitz might be a smart move for Fernando, and might perhaps one day open the door to a Red Bull drive?
Then again he might soon be arrested for Dallas 1963, so one must not take rumours too seriously… ;)

2014 Singapore Grand Prix fans’ video gallery #01

At Singapore F1 fans can get much closer than usual to the action. How close? Take a look at these videos from the race weekend and find out.

Different vantage points

Q3 up close

RADIO CLAMPDOWN WILL CHANGE NOTHING AT MERCEDES

dms1428ja2891-750x496.jpg

Paddy Lowe and Toto Wolff, the team bosses at dominant Mercedes, do not see eye-to-eye over the new radio clampdowns in Formula 1.
Although a pre-race compromise with the FIA was reached in Singapore, Wolff said that if the full clampdown had debuted in Singapore it would have been a “nightmare” in the context of Nico Rosberg’s steering wheel problems.
“I think Charlie (Whiting) and the FIA have realised that this needs another look”, he was quoted as saying.
But Lowe, who is in charge of Mercedes’ technical and sporting matters, appears to have a contrary opinion.
The Briton said Mercedes arrived in Singapore “pretty well prepared” not only for the watered-down ‘driver coaching’ ban, but the full technical ban that instead has been delayed until 2015.
“We could have managed even with the originally proposed plan,” Lowe told Russia’s Formula 1news.ru. “We were ready, even if having more time will now make life easier in terms of giving the drivers all the information he needs in a better and more convenient form.”
d13bel1489.jpg
For instance, he said it is likely teams will make changes to the steering wheel layouts of their 2015 cars, so that drivers are better equipped to make decisions during the grands prix when many radio communications are not allowed.
“But in general,” Lowe added, “the introduction of the rule should not be a big problem.”
He also said the clampdown will not be a major issue when it comes to those on the pitwall making decisions during the races in 2015.
“To a certain extent, the approach will change, but the main objectives for those on the pitwall are twofold: firstly the strategy … pitstops, tyre choice and so on.
“Here, nothing will change. The second is the solving of problems, whether it be damage as a result of accidents or technical problems, including problems that may affect safety.
“From this point of view, no matter what is written in the rules relating to radio communications, these rules cannot and should not prevent us from solving problems with the car,” Lowe insisted.
Indeed, dealing with in-race technical problems after the 2015 clampdown is also a concern raised by drivers.
Asked in Singapore, for example, how he will know if his brakes are overheating, Nico Hulkenberg smiled: “I will notice brake pedal getting longer.”
But how will he know how to manage it, for instance either by adjusting the forward or rearward brake balance? “Good question,” the German admitted to Auto Motor und Sport.
Jenson Button agrees, “In a case like that, you’re probably better off being informed by the team and taking the 5 second penalty.”

FERRARI VIEW: EDDIE IRVINE 15 YEARS ON

140249_new1.jpg

Eddie Irvine had not been to Maranello since 1999, when he was last a driver for Scuderia Ferrari, over a four year period from 1996. It was a step back in time for the Irishman, here just to enjoy catching up with old friends and to have a look at how the factory has changed.
“It’s fantastic to be here after such a long time and it’s really surprising to see how much things have changed since I was last here,” he said during a one-off factory tour laid on for him, which went from the new production areas and ended at the Gestione Sportiva.
“I saw a lot changes everywhere, such as the work on the historic cars, which is a passion of mine, that’s really incredible, as is the level of technology now used in the production areas. I’ve got nothing but nice memories of the four years I spent here, even if in the beginning it was a disaster because of all the problems we had with the car.”
It was an incredible opportunity and a great honour, that any driver would want to experience at least once in his life. He did not seem to think much of the new Formula 1, “I always watch the races, even if I’m not particularly keen on the new things like the boost button and the DRS, the fact the noise has gone and having races in countries with no motor sport tradition.”
However, the former Ferrari driver feels the current season is producing plenty of excitement and that the next one should be even better, “It’s great to see the drivers fighting. Ferrari needs to make a step forward and I think it can do it, so that next year will be even more interesting.”
140248_new1-350x250.jpg140247_new1-350x250.jpg
140246_new1-350x250.jpg140245_new1-350x250.jpg
  • Like 2

DRIVERS CAN GAMBLE AT RACE START SAYS WHITING

d10cdn856.jpg

Formula 1 drivers are allowed to make an gamble on making a false start coming off the grand prix grid, the FIA’s Charlie Whiting has confirmed.
At Monza, some observers were both amazed and bemused when Lewis Hamilton reacted to the five starting lights to the tune of 0.05 seconds.
Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport said it is “virtually impossible” that the Mercedes driver legitimately reacted to the lights, as the minimum human reaction time is much longer.
In athletics, a sprinter for example will be deemed to have made a false start if their reaction time is better than 100 milliseconds.
But Whiting said Hamilton did not jump the start at Monza, “For us it’s not like athletics. We proceed on the basis that anyone who tries to anticipate the start takes the risk of incurring a penalty.”
“But if he does take the risk and takes off just as the lights go out, he’s lucky,” Whiting added.