FORMULA 1 - 2014

Webber: Mercedes no longer a team

Australian-Open-women-s-final-Mark-Webbe

Former Red Bull driver Mark Webber believes Mercedes no longer has drivers competing with a common goal, with Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton battling individual glory.
Although Mercedes lead the Constructors' Championship by 150 points from Red Bull with just seven races remaining the season, there are only 29 points between Rosberg and Hamilton in the Drivers' Championship standings.
While several controversial moments earlier in the season highlighted the fact that Rosberg and Hamilton don't necessarily see eye to eye, the rivalry within Mercedes seemed to reach its zenith when Rosberg clipped Hamilton's left rear on the second lap of the Belgium Grand Prix last week while the pair were battling for first place.
As a result to the damage to his car, Hamilton was forced into eventual retirement, while Rosberg recovered from the broken nose his car suffered to finish in second place.
"Now we have a very difficult situation at Mercedes where the drivers are not enjoying a good relationship," Webber toldRed Bull show Sport und Talk.
"It's going to be interesting, not just for the rest of this year but can they drive together in the future? Is it OK for 2015 for the team to have the two together?
"The thing is, who is going to try to put this back together? Is it the people who pay Niki [Lauda] and Toto [Wolff's] wages? At the end of the day, if the drivers are not listening to these guys, do they have to say, 'Lewis and Nico, you go chat to the big guys at Mercedes, as they're paying you to get the job done in a team environment'.
"At the moment it's not a team, it looks like the drivers are doing their own thing.
"Let me tell you, when they get to the track, they'll only be thinking about each other.
"They are really only focused on beating each other, and that's what happens when you have a car that is so dominant.
"The drivers know that the Constructors' is done, so all that's left is the Drivers' championship."

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

McLaren seek Vettel, Alonso as driver lineup

boullier-eric-mclaren-2014-600x357.jpg

According to AUTOSPORT, McLaren are making a play for two of the biggest names on the driver market…Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel. The report says they are attempting to secure the drivers after their current contracts are over which is in 2016 for Vettel and 2017 for Alonso.
The team are seeking a long-term solution for top talent and the securing of these drivers would help manage their short-term driver goals as well. Team boos Eric Boullier said:
“We are still pushing and we will take the time we need. We don’t want to do a mistake – we have one shot and we don’t want to miss it. “McLaren is a top team, a big team, with a lot of history and we want to be back where we should be. “So if we can afford to take the time to think and to prepare our strategy then we have to do it.”
With Honda returning to the sport as an engine supplier for McLaren in 2015, the team is looking to get back to its winning ways and securing the top talent is part of that plan. While Alonso’s tenure at the team didn’t last long back in 2007, things have changed and the team see intent on re-building the juggernaut that has been its calling card for decades.
The question is will either driver leave the established program they are currently in and can McLaren afford such expensive driving talent? That remains to be seen but there are compelling reasons either driver might take McLaren up on the offer.

MALDONADO: BIG CHALLENGE AT MONZA WILL BE THE POWER ISSUE

Pastor+Maldonado+F1+Testing+Bahrain+Day+

Pastor Maldonado has yet to score a point in this year’s Formula 1 World Championship and his task to do so at Monza will be tough as the issue of power – or lack thereof in the case of the Renault powered Lotus E22 – will be a telling factor. The Venezuelan driver previews the Italian Grand Prix at Monza.
What are your opinions of racing in the Parco di Monza?
I like Monza and I love Italy. I actually used to live very close to the circuit when I was starting my career here in Europe. I have won races here so it holds some good memories and special feelings for sure. I have a lot of friends here and a lot of supporters who come and see me at the track, so it is very nice to catch up with them all. The track is totally unique and of course it is great to be racing where all the old heroes did too. Monza has changed only very slightly over the years and it still has the character of the old banking and the parkland trees as you drive through it and of course the fans create a great atmosphere which is a great soundtrack to the Grand Prix.
Pastor+Maldonado+F1+Grand+Prix+Bahrain+P
Any particular expectations for the Monza weekend?
For sure it is going to be a tough weekend again for us at Lotus F1 Team. Monza is all about power combined with a low downforce set-up so it is a big challenge. I think it will be interesting to see the new 2014-spec cars here because the track is so unique and there is a very particular way to get the best out of the cars. They will be difficult to drive I think for everyone but we will be doing our best to put the Spa weekend behind us and to get more positive energy going before we head off on the long haul races.
Tell us one word that comes to mind when you hear the word Monza?
Speed. It has to be speed because the track is all about how fast you can go on the start/finish straight and then also on the back straight too. We are reaching the highest speeds of the season on these stretches. One of the critical points is the Parabolica corner. You have to get this right at the end of your lap to ensure a good time, and if you get it wrong it also compromises you for the next lap. It’s difficult to do this as the car is set-up for low downforce on the straights, so it’s more difficult to drive on the corners – especially a long corner like Parabolica, which is tough and fast, the most crucial at Monza.
Pastor+Maldonado+Canadian+F1+Grand+Prix+
This year you have tarmac not gravel on the outside of Parabolica. Will this change the approach to the corner?
I don’t think it will make too much difference really. The approach will be the same which is to take it as quickly and efficiently as possible. Of course there is the obvious safety element which means that you have less risk if you go off. I think this is good from a safety point of view because it is a quick corner with not that much room on the outside.
A dry, warm Grand Prix would be nice again?
Yes. Spa was very tough with the conditions and also Hungary too. Monza is usually warm and dry which seems to suit the E22 more than the wet. We just need to have a trouble free weekend where we can further explore the low downforce bodywork, especially the front wing package that was introduced at Spa. The big challenge though will be the power issue. It is difficult to overcome any disadvantage on this front but everyone will be working to get as much speed as we possibly can.
Pizza or Pasta?
Both. Definitely both. But not at the same time of course!

GROSJEAN: MONZA WILL BE TOUGH FOR US

R6T2679.jpg

Romain Grosjean is enduring a forgettable season at the wheel of the woeful Lotus E22 which he things will be a handful during the Italian Grand Prix weekend at the high speed Monza circuit, nevertheless he looks forward to Round 13 of the 2014 Formula 1 World Championship.
How do you like Monza, the Theatre of Speed?
I like Monza a lot because it is so distinctive. Monza is a great track that has a lot of great racing history. This makes it nice for us to compete at a place where all our heroes raced too. There is a lot of atmosphere around the track and to race in the setting of the royal park makes for a really special ambience. Of course the Ferrari fans are a big part of it and it is really nice competing at such a legendary venue.
Any special memories from Monza?
One of my first ever races in cars was at Monza back in 2003 when I was driving in a category called Formula Lista where I won and then went on to win every race of my rookie season in that formula. I have had some other big results at Monza too throughout my career, so it holds lots of good memories.
N7T3746.jpg
What aspirations do you have for Monza this weekend?
I think that it will be tough for us. On paper it is not one of the races that we should do that well at. But as always we will be fighting hard and trying to get the maximum from the weekend, so that it gives us good momentum for the Singapore weekend later in September when we should be stronger and the track should suit the E22 a little better. We will have a one-off rear wing for Monza and the key will be to make the car as quick as possible from an aero point of view, so that we can get back some of the performance from our straight-line speed disadvantage. Then we have to manage the tyre degradation. Also for us it will be tricky in the big corners like the Lesmos and the Ascari chicane because the less downforce you have then the more difficult it is to get good grip in the turns. It is a tough compromise but one I am sure that the team will get the best solution possible.
Do you think that the 2014 spec cars with reduced downforce will be tough to drive at Monza?
Yes but this is the same for everyone. Especially without the blown diffuser it will be more challenging than last year for sure. But this is F1 and you have to meet the challenge which we will do. The reality is that we will probably have to run less all-round downforce to make up for the time we lose on the straight, but we will just have to stay positive and extract the most from the package we have in Italy.
R6T3831.jpg
What do you make of the revisions to the run-off at Parabolica?
Parabolica is a very challenging and quick corner so from a safety point of view it is a good thing to have some more margin for the drivers. I remember sometimes in the past coming in to the corner and knowing that to brake even a little bit too late then you could be straight in the gravel and then straight to the wall at high speed. I think that now what you will see is the drivers finding the limits sooner, because we know there will not be the big gravel and crash penalty like previously.
Pizza or Pasta?
I know a great Pizzeria close to the track, so it is pizza all the way for me. But I am always careful because it can catch up very easily on the weight side of things! Italy is a magic place and the cultural aspects are a big part of that. Like a lot of drivers I did a lot of racing there, even since karting days so I feel like I know the country very well. I don’t know anyone who does not enjoy being in Italy.

MERCEDES SEEK GUIDANCE FROM FANS AND BIG BOSS

SNE12613_copy.jpg

Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche has become involved in resolving the image damaging feud between warring teammates Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton, as the Mercedes brand credibility takes centre stage in social media where fans are overwhelmingly in favour of free racing between the two title protagonists..
As team chiefs Toto Wolff, Paddy Lowe and Niki Lauda work to safeguard Mercedes’ overwhelming title prospects amid an escalating driver feud, Lauda revealed that Zetsche has been moved to intervene.
“Naturally we have to report to him,” the Formula 1 legend and team chairman told Bunte. “We have a need for clarification. It [the Formula 1 project] is all about building credibility for the brand.”
Until now, although there have been efforts to cool the heat in the wake of last Sunday’s incident, the clear finger of blame has been pointed at Rosberg for causing the lap two incident at Spa that left Hamilton almost 30 points behind in their title fight.
dms1405jy42-001.jpg
Lauda, for instance, admitted to Bunte that even the German driver’s post-race explanation of what happened was “not understandable to me”.
A key meeting to plot a way forward will take place at the team’s Brackley base on Friday, Sport Bild reports.
“I will not be there,” Lauda confirmed, “but Toto, Paddy and the two drivers will be.”
It is possible that Zetsche, who has always argued against team orders, will ask for any solution to the problem to not involve ending Mercedes’ policy of free racing.
Indeed, on Twitter on Thursday, Mercedes asked its half-million followers to vote for either “team orders or free racing”.
“This is a chance to have your say,” the team tweeted along with a Facebook campaign of the same ilk.
dpl1424au083.jpg
The predictable and overwhelming response saw 92 per cent support for free racing, with Mercedes going on to ask for suggestions for potential penalties for breaching the “no contact rule”.
“Would you suspend a driver for a race and not maximise constructors’ points? Perhaps you’d set the order at qualifying slots?” the team’s Twitter writer asked.
Lauda tipped Mercedes to ultimately keep the faith and refrain from playing safe and introducing team orders for the rest of the 2014 battle.
“Nothing changes,” he said, “although it is important to avoid unnecessary risk. “But I do not want to prejudge the [Friday] meeting. Let’s see what the decisions look like.”

FORMULA 1 PROMOTER GURDJIAN PASSES AWAY

d09mal1301.jpg

Former French Grand Prix promoter Philippe Gurdjian has passed away at the age of 69. Born in the suburbs of Paris in 1945, Gurdjian also helped establish a number of new F1 events, including those in Malaysia and Abu Dhabi.
Gurdjian began his career in advertising and was a keen gentleman racer, competing several times in the famed Le Mans 24 Hours in the 1970s and ‘80s. He took charge of the French Grand Prix at Paul Ricard in 1985 and in 1991 oversaw its transfer to Magny-Cours, where it remained until 1998.
He went on to organise the Spanish Grand Prix for a time, and played a major role in bringing Malaysia’s Sepang International Circuit and Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina Circuit to the F1 calendar in 1999 and 2009 respectively.
Among Gurdjian’s other notable achievements was overseeing the transformation of Paul Ricard into a high-tech testing facility, earning the venue the first FIA Institute Centre of Excellence Trophy for its outstanding safety standards. He was awarded a prestigious French Order of Merit in 2006.

ANALYSIS SHOWS 2014 SPA PACE FASTER THAN LAST YEAR

Lewis-Hamilton-Mercedes-F1-W05-Hybrid-le

This year’s Belgian Grand Prix was the first time the new V6 turbo power unit era Formula 1 cars proved faster than the screaming V8-powered machines of 2013.
So far this year, the V6 turbo combined with lower downforce and heavier cars – have proved at least several seconds slower than the pace of the past.
But at Spa-Francorchamps, the fastest lap on Sunday – achieved by championship leader Nico Rosberg – was two tenths quicker than the corresponding race of 2013, won by champion Sebastian Vettel.
An analysis by Auto Motor und Sport shows why. First, aerodynamics plays a lesser role at Spa, where the more powerful turbo ‘power units’ of 2014 resulted in an average of 20+kph more top speed than the 2013-spec V8s on the long straights.
And the cornering deficit in 2014 was minimised at Spa last weekend, with Pirelli bringing the soft and medium compounds to Belgium compared to the medium and hard choice of last year.

VERSTAPPEN NOT READY FOR F1 SAYS HAKKINEN

dpl1221jy102.jpg

Double F1 world champion Mika Hakkinen has added yet another disparaging response to the news that teenager Max Verstappen will make history next year as by far Formula 1′s youngest ever driver.
And the 1998 and 1999 world champion does not only criticise Red Bull‘s decision to sign the young Dutchman just half a year out of karts, but also his former Formula 1 rival Jos Verstappan, who is Max’s father and manager.
“In no case is a driver ready for Formula 1 at 16 or 17,” Hakkinen said in an interview with his sponsor Hermes.
Hakkinen, who was involved in Valtteri Bottas’ management and also has a son (Hugo) in the world of highly-competitive karting, insisted: “Either as a manager or a father, I would never let a driver as young as that race in Formula 1.
“It’s too early, and if it fails, it can cause considerable damage,” Hakkinen added.

NO MONEY ENDS NEW JERSEY F1 RACE HOPES

dne1316jy27-750x497.jpg

Plans for a New York street race were foiled by financial backers that pulled out, according to Formula 1 Bernie Ecclestone supremo.
A second American Grand Prix, in New Jersey but amid the iconic Manhattan skyline, has appeared on draft calendars for some time but the Formula 1 supremo now admits it is unlikely to happen.
“I honestly don’t think so,” Ecclestone said in Belgium last weekend. “They still have the same problems they had in the beginning. Nothing has changed.”
Now, speaking to the Formula 1 business journalist Christian Sylt, the nature of those ‘problems’ has become clear — and it’s all about money.
“Two or three backers that (promoter) Leo (Hindery) had had confirmed to me that they had an agreement with him and they were going to put the money up,” Ecclestone told Forbes. “If Leo had got the money or I had put the money up that race would have been on.”
Ecclestone admitted that he went beyond his usual efforts for New Jersey, as the teams “were dying to have a race in New York so we were trying to make it happen”.
Sylt said Ecclestone gave Hindery lots of chances by continually reinstating the race on draft calendars, and he even offered funding, “I had nothing to lose with Leo. If somebody had come along and put the money up and he had done the job I would have been delighted.
“He (Hindery) was trying to keep things alive hoping that somebody was going to put money in. It suited us to give him chances. Everybody wanted a race in New York.”

Mattiacci even more motivated than before

mar-marco-mattiacci-ferrari_3196770.jpg

Ferrari Team Principal Marco Mattiacci says he is "100 times more motivated" to succeed in his role than when he took over from Stefano Domenicali.
The Italian was appointed ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix after Domenicali resigned following the Bahrain Grand Prix a fortnight earlier.
Speaking to the official Formula One website after last week's Belgian Grand Prix, Matiacci maintains that he is determined to succeed in the role and make Ferrari a F1 force again.
"I am so much more motivated. I've always been 'parachuted in'. In my very brief career journey, overall every two to three years I've always been called in to what is called a 'difficult situation' in order to turn it around. So I am happy that the company is keeping me in that kind of responsibility," Mattiacci told the official F1 website.
"I am so excited. The more I receive criticism, the more my team receives criticism, that's like an energy recovery system - we get more motivation out of it! Every day I get more motivation so I am 100 times more motivated than when I started the job in China."
Mattiacci added that Ferrari is "starting from a very solid platform" as they attempt to get their sometimes misfiring car back to the front of the grid.
"We have a very clear strategy and a very clear timeline. Like all serious managers you have to try to do the utmost to shorten this scenario. But Formula One is not soccer. It's not a case of changing one or two players and the coach and the next season you are winning," he added.
"This is a very competitive environment with the most sophisticated engineering in the world and with great talents to contribute to it. We know that we have a lot of work to do, but we are starting from a very solid platform. I have found incredible assets in this company. We have the most talented couple of drivers, we have a tradition of over 60 years, and an impressive obsession to come back and win."

'Plenty to be positive about at Lotus'

pastor-maldonado-lotus-crash_3194145.jpg

Lotus Deputy Team Principal Federico Gastaldi maintains that there is 'plenty to look forward to' at the Enstone team despite their trying 2014 season.
In the previous two season, Lotus regularly finished races near the front of the grid and finished fourth in the Constructors' Championship as a result.
This season, though, Lotus have struggled to come to grips with the new engine and aerodynamics regulations and have amassed only eight points through Romain Grosjean.
As a result, they currently sit in eighth place on the Constructors' Championship standings with seven races left in the season.
Despite both its drivers - Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado - not finishing in Belgium last week, Gastaldi remains confident that better times are just around the corner.
"We stated that for the second half we will strive to make the most of the E22 and to add to the points tally right up until Abu Dhabi in November," Gastaldi told reporters after last week's race at Spa.
"The team is fully focused on ensuring that we get some reward from 2014 which has been challenging for many reasons. Naturally in F1 you are always thinking ahead and we have already started on the 2015 project but we have the resources to do both concurrently.
"There is plenty to look forward to for the short and long term at Enstone."
Despite that statement of defiance, the Lotus boss admitted that next week's Italian Grand Prix at Monza is likely to be another struggle for them.
"We go there [to Monza] in a difficult position as we are not the fastest in a straight line," he added.
"But we will push to the maximum, matching the passion and spirit we see off the track from the fans, with our usual determination on it. We have to dig in and make sure we are in the best position possible for when our luck changes.
"Singapore should be better for us as the power disadvantage will not be so pronounced. Sochi will be a big unknown for everybody and Suzuka, although having some long straights, also rewards a good set-up and good aero."

Bottas set for new Williams deal

Valtteri-Bottas-2_3177242.jpg

Valtteri Bottas is expected to remain at Williams for the near future as talks between the Finn and the Grove outfit over a new contract continues.
Williams have an option of extending his contract for another season, but so far this season the 25-year-old has exceeded all expectations of him and the team is hopeful of keeping him on as Felipe Massa's team-mate past 2015.
"Personally I don't see a reason to look around at this moment," Bottas told Autosport when asked whether or not he is happy driving for Williams.
"But it's too early to say - it's better to wait for confirmation, and we will speak when we have something to say.
"I should just focus on this moment, this year, then once we know what is going to happen next year we can focus for that, and then we will see."
Williams have performed admirably so far this season, with Bottas in particular impressing after finishing on the podium in four of the last races.
They are currently in fourth place on the Constructors' Championship standings but are only 10 points behind Ferrari with seven races left in the season.
With no major technical changes expected for next season, Bottas believes Williams will continue to finish record strong results after making the switch from Renault to Mercedes power units at the start of the current season.
"I really think this team is not at its peak yet," Bottas added.
"I really think the direction is right, and I am confident this team can still be better than what we have seen this year. So that's why I am really confident here with me continuing."

Time to move on!

The Formula 1 media has been fixated in recent days on the Lewis Hamilton-Nico Rosberg situation and everyone has expressed their opinions, no matter how insane these may be. When you boil it all down, Rosberg has sullied his reputation but has a big lead in the World Championship. He may or may not have been fined by the team, but money is irrelevant in this circumstance. He will make far more if he wins the title. Hamilton accepted that perhaps it was wrong to do the dirty washing in public, but by doing so he has revealed a little more about his rival, which is fair enough. Points are points and Rosberg has them.

Mercedes Benz has done a decent job, jumping from burning bush to burning bush, trying to stamp out the fire without setting fire to its trousers, while the FIA has proved that a fishmonger has paid a visit as the administration appears to have been filleted and the back bone thrown away. The regulator of the sport has not reacted to a case in which it seems an advantage has been gained by unsporting driving. It is not a matter of opinion over a racing incident if one of the parties admits intent…
An investigation was necessary at the very least to examine the incident but nothing happened. But perhaps it being the holiday period in France, this played a role as well…

Formula 1 and America

The ultimate irony about the failed Formula 1 race in New Jersey is that while Bernie Ecclestone is blaming it on a promoter who failed to deliver the money, and the reporting on the matter inevitably fails to tell the whole story, it is still his primary ambition to get F1 into the New York and Los Angeles metropolitan areas, and by extension to conquer at least a small part in the lucrative US sports market. This is huge but Formula 1 has failed to get a deal in Long Beach and has now failed in New Jersey as well. Both were viable projects, but failed because of the attitudes involved.

It has been clear for decades that the F1 business model will not work in the US market because it is far too greedy. It leaves nothing on the table for the promoter, except some direct economic impact for the region and more nebulous international exposure and the impact of F1 on the glamour of an area and thus a potential hike in real estate prices. Very few public bodies in the US can provide funding and the best that can be hoped for is loans, and so F1 has been forced to rely on those on ego trips such as the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis. The race in Austin is an anomaly in that the state of Texas did agree to have a rolling loan to allow F1 to generate money for the local economy. But someone is losing money on this deal and we must wonder where it will ultimately end.
Formula One cannot simply blame America for the failures. If there is one market that would generate more money for F1, it is the United States. F1 is ultimately a consumer business and it should be strongest in the world’s biggest consumer market, a country that will continue to enjoy such status for at least another 30 years, such is its current level of domination. The potential for F1 to earn money in the United States is huge, but F1 refuses to make any investment. The irony in New Jersey is that Bernie recognised this and loaned the New Jersey promoter money, hoping to make things happen. But it made no difference because the loan was not enough to get the race started and then, of course, he fell out with the promoter and so the whole thing ceased to be viable as the right to hold the event suddenly belonged to someone with whom Mr E did not want to do business with any longer. And so the dream that was attainable has been dashed.
The problem goes back to CVC Capital Partners. They exist to take, using their financial muscle to buy companies and then take as much out as possible while leaving them saleable. If F1 is to make it in the US, someone is going to have to look at the bigger picture and have the patience to nurture races, to invest in building an audience. Take out the race fees and F1 can work anywhere. If you stop and think about it, the United States is a bit like Ferrari in that F1 wants it, the difference is that Ferrari has been able to leverage that desire into cash. The United States has not.
That might happen if a US company owned the business. Let us hope that this happens soon…

Max Verstappen has minor shunt during F1 demo

Max Verstappen's first public Formula 1 demo didn't go exactly how he had imagined in his head after he hit the barriers, damaging the front-wing of the Toro Rosso liveried Red Bull RB8.

The 16-year-old, who recently signed a deal to race for Toro Rosso next year, was driving the RB8 as part of a Rotterdam demonstration when he failed to brake in time for the barrier, damaging the front of the car. shead.gif

'If I have to retire this year then so be it' - Button

jenson-button-spa-_L4R7199.jpg

Jenson Button is coming to terms with the idea that he may not be racing in Formula 1 much longer given the driver situation at his current team McLaren.

The Briton has been competing in F1 for 14 years, but may not have a choice when it comes to continuing after 2014 as McLaren are reportedly seeking the services of Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel.

Whilst it's unlikely they'll get both 'star drivers', it's believed they're close to securing the services of at least one and they're likely to replace Button over Kevin Magnussen. The 34-year-old says he's having a difficult time contemplating life away from the sport.

"We haven't sat down and talked about it," he told the BBC about 2015 and contract extensions.

"If I have to retire at the end of the season then so be it, but I feel I have so much more to give and I can't imagine life without motorsport and especially Formula 1.

"I think uncomfortable is the wrong word for me, I don't feel uncomfortable. It's unusual, yes, but sometimes it's that way.

"Our job is to drive as fast as we can, do the best job for ourselves and the best job for the team. I feel we are both doing the maximum we can and a very good job."

GREAT CIRCUITS: MONZA

http://youtu.be/H520vALUtJk

Great Circuits: Monza is a one hour documentary covering the history of one of the most infamous racing circuits in the world, it’s a fantastic look at the early history of the track and is essential viewing for anyone planning to watch the modern Italian Grand Prix at Monza this coming weekend.
As a bit of a bonus, the film also explores the early history of the Mille Miglia – Italy’s other great race that shares a long list of drivers, marques and history with Monza.

HONDA: WE WILL MATCH MERCEDES

2014-03-16T003136Z_1_CBREA2F01GX00_RTROP

Honda motorsport boss Yasuhisa Arai has rubbished reports that the Japanese manufacturer’s new Formula 1 V6 turbo engine is down on power and behind schedule, and is adamant they can match the Mercedes unit which has dominated the 2014 season.
Speaking to the official F1 website, Arai declared, “I have confidence that we will match Mercedes.”
And added, “I think that the two other engine suppliers will recover next season – I strongly believe that. And we will be there too.”
Reports that the Honda power unit is behind schedule were also denied, “We are absolutely within our development plan. Our engine – or more precisely our power unit – is ready for a whole system check, but without the chassis. It will still need more time to bring the power unit and chassis together and then be able to run checks with the complete car.”
“In the next couple of weeks we will run simulations and at the beginning of next year we will start to run on the track – very likely at Jerez. That will very likely be the first time to show the whole car, the Honda engine and the McLaren chassis – the Honda McLaren,” added Arai.
tne0517ja03-750x497.jpg
Ron Dennis with Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost and the 1988 McLaren team powered by Honda
Radical rule changes which came into effect this season were the reason which enticed Honda back to Formula 1, Arai acknowleged “it definitely was one reason for Honda to come back into Formula One, but there was also the fact that the lap times compared to the old engines are very similar.”
“We are talking about a technology that is very advanced. You can match the speed of the old engines, but with much smarter and resource-saving technology,” he said.”
Honda will supply McLaren exclusively in 2015, but the door may be open to service other F1 teams from 2016 onwards.
“In 2015 we don’t have the plan to supply any team other than McLaren. In 2016 or after, if some teams or partners ask us to supply them too, we will take a look at that situation. But even in 2016 McLaren will be our main partner in F1,” confirmed Arai.
But added, “Even if we supply other teams from 2016 onwards our main focus will always be to win, to make the engine better through more data, and not necessarily to look at a return on investment. If you win that comes automatically.
As for Mercedes’ huge success during the first year of the new technology in Formula 1, Arai ventured, “I can imagine that Mercedes found the perfect balance between their chassis and their power unit and that the others didn’t find that balance.”

FERRARI VIEW: OUR HOME RACE AT MONZA

d10ita1761.jpg

This Sunday’s race is the 65th Italian Grand Prix to count for the Formula 1 World Championship and, along with the British GP, they are the only races to have featured on the calendar every year of the championship.
With the exception of 1980 when it was held at Imola and won by Nelson Piquet in a Brabham, it’s always been staged at Monza. Over the years, Scuderia Ferrari has won 18 times, a hit rate of 28%, to go along with 19 pole positions and 64 podiums.
Speed, slipstream and scares. With the demise of the old Hockenheim, Monza is the last of the truly old style Formula 1 circuits, although Spa-Francorchamps is also a contender for this category.
Down its straights, before they were interrupted by the three chicanes we have today, some of the closest battles in history took place, with dozens of passing moves every lap as cars were able to slipstream each other: the 1971 edition is famous for the closest ever finish, when Peter Gethin won for BRM, finishing just a hundredth of a second ahead of Ronnie Peterson in the March, with the top five all within six tenths.
The high speeds have also led to tragedy and the victims include Alberto Ascari, Wolfgang Von Trips, Jochen Rindt and the aforementioned Peterson.
003107_035.jpg
The 1971 Italian Grand Prix was an epic
The first wins. Ferrari took its first Monza win in 1951 courtesy of Alberto Ascari in the 375, while second placed Jose Froilan Gonzalez made it a one-two. The Italian won again the following year and after that, there was a pause until 1960, which produced an easy victory, as the British teams boycotted the race in protest against the use of the high-speed oval, built in 1955 and considered too dangerous.
Ferrari took the top three spots with Phil Hill, Richie Ginther and Willy Mairesse. The following year, everyone was present, but tragedy struck. Von Trips collided with Jim Clark in the Lotus, dying along with 14 spectators. Hill won in the 156 to become the first American World Champion, but there were tears instead of celebrations.
Key victories
In 1964, Scuderia Ferrari was back to winning ways with John Surtees, who dominated the race in the 158 having shaken off the attentions of Dan Gurney. The win was key to the Englishman getting back in the running for the title, which he won in thrilling fashion in the final race in Mexico. Two years later came an equally important win for Ludovico Scarfiotti, who scored a one-two with Mike Parkes in the 312, which saved the day in an an otherwise lacklustre season.

79ita02.jpg

Jody Scheckter won the 1979 Italian Grand Prix

The Seventies
After three barren years, the Maranello marque won again in 1970 courtesy of Clay Regazzoni who, in the final stages got the better of Jackie Stewart in the March. Five years later, the Swiss driver did it again which was cause for great celebration, as by coming third, Niki Lauda brought the Drivers’ title back to Maranello, eleven years on from Surtees. It was the same scenario four years later in ‘79, this time the title going to winner Jody Scheckter, with team-mate Gilles Villeneuve riding shotgun in second.
The 1988 miracle
Scheckter’s win was the last for a very long time for the Scuderia at Monza. In September 1988, Ferrari turned up in Monza with a heavy heart, as it was the first race following the death of the founder Enzo, back in August. In qualifying, the McLarens that had won every race that year, monopolised the front row with Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna. Prost retired with a problem, but Senna seemed to be heading for an easy win. However, with three laps to go, the Brazilian came up behind the backmarker, Jean-Louis Schlesser in the Williams. The Frenchman moved over but ended up t-boning Senna who had to retire. It left the door open for Gerhard Berger and Michele Alboreto to take their Ferraris to a one-two. The next day, some journalists wrote that, looking down, Enzo Ferrari had orchestrated Schlesser’s misfortune.
dmk0611se05.jpg
2006 Italian Grand Prix winner Michael Schumacher
The Schumacher era
There would be an eight year break before seeing a Ferrari on the top step of the Monza podium. It was 1996 and the winner was the great Michael Schumacher, who won again in Monza in 1998, with a fabulous passing move on Mika Hakkinen’s McLaren at the Roggia chicane. In 2000, another win meant Schumacher equaled Senna’s number of victories and he couldn’t hold back the tears in the press conference. He also won in 2003 and 2006, while Rubens Barrichello made his mark in this era, winning in 2002 and in 2004, when the Ferraris had to fight their way back up the order after Rubens had made a poor tyre choice and Michael spun at Roggia.
The Alonso era
The latest win for Ferrari at Monza was down to Fernando Alonso. The Spaniard had previously won in 2007 and in 2010, he had a long duel with Jenson Button in the McLaren, the Englishman finally having to give best to Fernando’s pressure and the performance of the F10. As for Kimi Raikkonen, the Finn has never won at Monza, his best result being a second place in 2006.

MCLAREN TEMPT ALONSO WITH $32 MILLION DEAL

140057bel.jpg

Despite Ferrari team boss Marco Mattiacci repeating, albeit unofficially, that the team’s driver line-up for next year will remain the same, reports are emerging that today – 1 September – a performance related clause in Fernando Alonso’s contract may allow the Spaniard to leave Maranello and take up a $32 million contract with McLaren.
Ferrari are not in a position to confirm news of their 2015 driver line-up during the weekend of their home Italian Grand Prix at Monza, where they would receive maximum PR mileage.
“There will be no announcement at Monza with regards to the drivers,” Mattiacci is quoted by Autosprint, “because there’s nothing to announce.”
He says that is because Alonso and Raikkonen are already under contract for 2015. Technically this is a fact, but Auto Motor und Sport claims that September 1 could change everything.
140103bel.jpg
Correspondent Michael Schmidt cited internal sources as confirming that Alonso’s contract contains a clause that opens the potential exit to the Spaniard if he is not within 25 points of the championship leader on September 1.
Prior to Monza, Alonso is actually closer to 100 points behind Mercedes‘ Nico Rosberg. It doesn’t mean Alonso will jump at the chance to leave, but Telegraph newspaper reports that – despite their history – McLaren chief Ron Dennis has made an astonishing offer of $32 million per year to Alonso.
The report said Dennis, although having spectacularly fallen out with Alonso in 2007, has spoken with Alonso about the Spaniard’s return to Woking to head the new Honda-powered project, however Alonso might be alarmed by the latest reports emerging from Japan.
The reports suggest Honda, returning to Formula 1 in 2015 after a six-year absence, is currently far behind the performances achieved by leading engine supplier Mercedes as it works on its all-new turbo V6 turbo power unit for McLaren.

BOTTAS: I DON’T SEE A REASON TO LOOK ELSEWHERE

dms1424au319.jpg

Valtteri Bottas looks set to remain with Williams, who has been the on of the revelations of the season, beyond the 2014 as he sees no need to leave the one of the sport’s great Formula 1 teams which is enjoying a renaissance spearheaded by the young Finn this year .
The Finn has been a standout of this year’s championship, outshining the Ferrari veteran Felipe Massa and leading Williams’ Formula 1 resurgence with four podium appearances.
The 25-year-old has therefore been linked with a potential move from the Grove squad, perhaps to McLaren as the Woking team plans for a long and lucrative future with new works partner Honda.
But Bottas seems destined to stay at Williams, the team that groomed him from Formula 1 tester to 2014 star.
dcd1424au248.jpg
“Personally I don’t see a reason to look elsewhere at this time,” he is quoted as saying by Tuttosport and the Spanish sports daily Marca.
“We are working in the right way and I am confident that this team can be even better than what we have seen so far this year. That’s why I’m confident about continuing.
“Perhaps it’s too early to talk about the contract,” he added, “but I really want to continue this adventure with Williams. “Until then it’s better to wait for confirmation, so we will talk when we have something to say.”
Bottas, who made his debut at the 2013 Australian Grand Prix, will start his 32nd Formula 1 race at the forthcoming Italian Grand Prix. This season he has scored four podium finishes.

2014 F1 CARS MAY NOT BEAT KIMI’S 2005 TOP SPEED

d05ita713.jpg

Top speeds by Formula 1 cars at the fable Autodromo Nazionale Monza this weekend may not be quite as spectacular as earlier expected.
That is the claim of Auto Motor und Sport, despite predictions the new turbo V6-powered machines could soar beyond the old 370+kph top-speed record of the 2005 Italian Grand Prix.
Then, it was Kimi Raikkonen’s almost 1000 horse power McLaren-Mercedes V10 that screamed down the straights of the Autodromo Nazionale.
But in 2014, as the turbo V6s combine with reduced aerodynamics and therefore drag, top speeds have once again been turning heads in the grandstands very rapidly.
At Barcelona, Felipe Massa’s Williams-Mercedes topped 342kph, compared to the fastest V8 in the 2013 Spanish Grand Prix, Fernando Alonso’s Ferrari, that managed less than 320.
In Canada, this year’s fastest car was just a tad under 350kph, and similar speeds were seen at Spa-Francorchamps recently.
Monza-Aerial-2D-8au0rc4sm9-750x507.jpg
Monza is unique
But Monza is a very special layout — the last truly ultra-low downforce circuit on the calendar. Last year, the top speed was Esteban Gutierrez’s 341kph in the Ferrari-powered Sauber.
So with the field of 2014 often proving 20-30kph faster than last year’s V8s, speeds of up to 370kph and perhaps even beyond at this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix were predicted.
Not likely, according to the German analysis by correspondent Michael Schmidt. He said pre-Monza team simulations have shown an actual likely top speed this weekend of about 350-355 or perhaps 360 in a slipstream.
Force India technical boss Andy Green explains: “The regulations have taken about 10 per cent downforce from us and reduced drag by the same amount.
“But this refers to the circuits where we run with maximum downforce. If we now go to Monza then we are comparing ourselves with cars that in the past were running with minimal downforce anyway. So the difference will be not so great,” he said.

PHOTOS: FERRARI AND KIMI STAR IN ROTTERDAM

Scuderia Ferrari put on an exciting and spectacular show today, as part of VKV Rotterdam City Racing, the event which saw around half a million fans flock to the Dutch city, encouraged by the sunshine which chased away yesterday’s clouds. One of the supporters of the event was Scuderia sponsor Santander Bank.

On hand for Scuderia Ferrari was Formula1 driver Kimi Raikkonen, who drove three laps of the four kilometre circuit which ran between the Willemsburg bridge and the Hofplein roundabout, at the wheel of a 2009 F60, the car in which he won that year’s Belgian Grand Prix. The Finn thrilled the Rotterdam crowd with scorching starts, tyre burn-outs and spectacular acceleration.
Before and after his runs, Kimi met fans and enthusiasts of all ages, including lots of kids, chatting with them about this season and expectations for what lies ahead, while also signing dozens and dozens of autographs for racing fans from a country which used to host a Formula 1 Grand Prix up to 1985, when the Dutch Grand Prix was held for the last time at the Zandvoort circuit.
140226_new-350x250.jpg140227_new-350x250.jpg
140228_new-350x250.jpg140229_new-350x250.jpg
140222_new-350x250.jpg140223_new-350x250.jpg
140224_new-350x250.jpg140225_new-350x250.jpg

UBS REDUCING F1 SPONSORSHIP

ubs.jpg

Major Formula 1 sponsor UBS is scaling down its investment, after a high profile period at the pinnacle of the sport.
The Swiss based global financial services company entered Formula 1 in 2010 powered by its then chief executive Oswald Grubel.
But UBS is now headed by Sergio Ermotti, a Swiss banker, who last year commenced market research into the wisdom of Grubel’s Formula 1 deal.
The Swiss newspaper Blick on Monday quoted a UBS spokesman as saying: “We have always stressed that Formula 1 is a long-term commitment. We are very pleased with the partnership.”
The report said UBS has agreed a new, less lucrative contract with Bernie Ecclestone.
“We put the customer platform more in the centre and focus the brand on key growth markets,” the spokesman said.
Part of the reduction of the deal is trackside advertising at less grands prix, and the end of the title sponsorship of the Chinese Grand Prix.
The report said UBS is reducing its annual spend from about $54 million to $32 million.

PARABOLICA CHANGES REQUESTED BY DRIVERS AND FIA

New-Parabolica.jpg

FIA safety delegate Charlie Whiting has defended the changes made to the legendary Curva Parabolica at Monza.
Speaking to media ahead of the Italian Grand Prix weekend, Whting explained, “About 35 per cent of the gravel has been replaced. This has been requested for safety reasons by the FIA and the drivers, just as it has been at virtually every other circuit that F1 races on.
Parabolica has always been one of the most challenging corners in Formula 1. The approach from Variante Ascari is down a high speed straight into the right hander, the final corner at Monza which starts tight and gradually widens before leading on to the main straight. Any mistake would be punished with a costly journey through the gravel trap.
Now the curve is bordered by a wide piece of tarmac extension which allows errant drivers a forgiving run off area, and much more forgiving.
Whiting conceded, “We know that it is not as punishing to a driver who leaves the track but that is the price that we pay for much improved safety: a price both the drivers and I believe is worth paying.”