FORMULA 1 - 2014

Sutil: Drivers to lift through Eau Rouge

Adrian-Sutil-Eau-Rouge-2013_3192349.jpg

Adrian Sutil fears this season the F1 drivers won't be able to tackle Eau Rouge flat out due to the nature of the 2014 cars.
This season, Formula 1 took steps to decrease the downforce of the cars meaning there is less grip especially in the corners.
Sutil reckons that will be notable this weekend at the high-speed Spa-Francorchamps circuit and could force drivers to lift through Eau Rouge.
"Eau Rouge is one of my favourite corners, and this year it will be difficult to go flat out due to less downforce," he said of Spa's most famous corner.
The Sauber driver, though, is a fan of the track, which he rates as one of the best on the calendar.
But whether it will yield his first points of this season remains to be seen.
"As Spa-Francorchamps is my favourite track, I am really looking forward to the race weekend," he said. "The atmosphere is great as there are always many fans.
"With the new cars we will have more top speed and less grip, so it will be interesting to see how it will be to drive under these conditions.
"In Spa I expect a highlight to the season regarding this year's Championship. I have always achieved good results on this track and have some nice racing memories.
"Regarding the set-up, there are two variations: either you are fast in sector two and relatively slow on the straights or vice versa. Both set-ups can result in the same lap time. I would rather tend to go more for top speed.
"Generally, there are several high speed corners I like in Spa. The double-lefthander (Pouhon), for example, is one of them. Every corner is nice to drive as they all have a nice flow to them."

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

Vijay Mallya: Bernie Ecclestone needs F1 social media education

1408457180.jpg

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone needs educating about the benefits of social media if the sport is to make the popularity strides it desires, says Force India's Vijay Mallya.
Ecclestone caused surprise earlier this year when he suggested F1 did not need an official social media presence, because he felt platforms like Twitter and Facebook had no future.
That stance did not impress the sport's teams, which have worked hard in recent years to engage more with fans.
Mallya says he is puzzled about the situation F1 has found itself in, especially amid concerns about falling audience interest.
"What I don't understand is that Bernie doesn't want to know about social media - he's a TV man and that's it," Mallya told AUTOSPORT.
"Somebody who is qualified enough to persuade him and convince him that social media is something that should be taken seriously would be a nice addition.
"Bernie may also be concerned at the lack of live spectator interest, but you cannot immediately ascribe that to the races being unexciting.
"It could be for so many other reasons: ticket prices will influence attendance big-time, and so will weather or other clashing major sporting events - all this has to be factored in.
"You can't just say: 'the stands are empty; the sport is not exciting enough'."
Mallya suggest that the popularity boost enjoyed in recent years by Indian Premier League cricket, where he has his own team, came via it embracing social media.
"The IPL has had such a massive social media boost. We have had the CEO of Twitter and the regional head of Facebook come and make presentations to all IPL teams on how they can help promote IPL.
"It's fantastic. We need someone like that to come and make a presentation to Bernie. Then I think he will be convinced."

Williams poised for best chances of 2014 F1 win at Spa and Monza

1408465465.jpg

Williams has its best chances of the 2014 Formula 1 season to take wins at the next races in Belgium and Italy, reckons Valtteri Bottas.
The power advantage provided by the team's Mercedes engines, as well as an aerodynamically efficient car, are set to pay dividends at the high-speed Spa and Monza circuits.
Although Bottas says that good results should not be ruled out elsewhere, he knows that there is a real chance of success coming up at the next two grands prix.
"I think in theory Spa and Monza should be the next really good ones for us, maybe the best opportunities of the season," explained Bottas.
"But we need to aim to be strong in other places and we can't just rely on our good top speed and doing well at Spa and Monza."
Williams performance chief Rob Smedley thinks that Spa could be particularly good for the team, and not just because of its straightline speed.
Speaking about the opportunity of Belgium and Italy, Smedley said: "Both of those tracks will suit our car very well I would have thought - mainly due to the fact the power sensitivity at those tracks is very high; every horsepower you have is worth more there than at other tracks.
"The drag sensitivity - especially at Spa - is very high. And we know our car is very strong in those areas.
"Additionally, I think at somewhere like Spa, with harder compounds, it can sometimes be quite difficult to get the tyres turned on and I think our car can do that - especially when it's a front-end problem.
"I'm reasonably confident our car can go well in both of those races, but I've said before that we don't fear anywhere."
STRONG END TO CAMPAIGN
Felipe Massa is bullish about the prospects for Williams over the entire second half of the campaign - and does not view Spa and Monza as the only decent opportunities remaining for victory.
"I think Monza, Spa, maybe USA, maybe Brazil - and also at the last race [Abu Dhabi] you have some good straights," said the Brazilian.
"I think the car can be competitive at many tracks, not just the fastest. Maybe at Spa we can be more competitive than on the others, but I think we need to concentrate and think we can have a good car in most tracks."
When asked if Williams could be ahead of Mercedes on pure pace terms at any of the races, Massa said: "I think it won't be easy, but it's not impossible. Maybe at a few of these tracks we can have more chance."

LOTTERER REPLACES KOBAYASHI AT CATERHAM FOR SPA

lotterer-caterham.jpg

Three times Le Mans winner Andre Lotterer will make his Formula One debut in Belgium this weekend after Caterham announced on Wednesday the German driver would be replacing experienced Japanese Kamui Kobayashi.
The cash-strapped team, who changed ownership in July and are fighting for their future, said the 32-year-old had been brought in to provide more feedback to improve the car’s performance.
“The team will benefit from having another experienced driver at the wheel of the car throughout the weekend,” Caterham said in a statement.
“The German’s feedback will contribute to improve the performance of the car. The weather also plays a big role at Spa-Francorchamps and Lotterer is one of the most experienced drivers racing under mixed conditions.”
Caterham said Kobayashi, who has driven for three Formula One teams and finished third in his home Japanese Grand Prix for Sauber in 2012, remained part of the team.
However, the popular Japanese brings little in the way of funding to the team and knew his place was insecure after previous owner Tony Fernandes, the Malaysian aviation entrepreneur, sold the team in July.
dcd1415ju121.jpg
Andre Lotterer won Le Mans with Audi teammates Marcel Fassler and Benoit Treluyer
Lotterer is also a world endurance co-champion with plenty of experience of the Spa circuit. While he has never raced in Formula One, the German – who grew up in Belgium – was Jaguar’s Formula One test driver in 2002. Caterham’s other driver is Swedish rookie Marcus Ericsson.
“I am delighted to be given the opportunity to take part in a Formula One race weekend,” he said. “I’m ready for this challenge and I cannot wait to jump in the car and make the most out of the weekend ahead.
“I will need to get settled and used to the car quickly, as the team has worked on a number of updates and we will need to have as much time as possible out on track to optimise the car’s performance.”
The British-based team have never scored a point in four and a half years of trying. They are currently 11th and last in the standings.
The new management, with former F1 team boss Colin Kolles as an advisor and key figure, has made scoring a point and finishing 10th overall the key target for the rest of the season. Lotterer has previously raced for Kolles at Le Mans.

VERGNE: TORO ROSSO WAS A GOOD SCHOOL I LEARNT A LOT

464823099_PF_9271_E492EBE0044869511A343D

Jean-Eric Vergne insists he is not giving up on Formula 1, despite after two and a half seasons into his Formula 1 grooming by Red Bull, the energy drink company’s famously-harsh driver programme – led by the gruff Helmut Marko – has given the 24-year-old Frenchman his notice.
Not long ago, Vergne was the beneficiary of the severity of Marko’s decisions when Toro Rosso ousted Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari — the latter just two years after making his Formula 1 debut as a teenager.
“Formula 1 can be cruel,” former McLaren driver John Watson told the Mirror this week, “as it was to Vergne and Alguersuari.”
dpl1409my066.jpg
Jean Eric Vergne last season with Toro Rosso
It is not yet clear if Red Bull will throw Vergne a Buemi-like lifeline and offer him another Formula 1 role for 2015.
Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost said only in Monday’s statement that he hopes Vergne can show “he still deserves another opportunity in Formula 1″.
Vergne told his more than 140,000 Twitter that he intends to do just that.
“Toro Rosso is a good school. I learnt a lot,” he said. “Now I’m focussed on a great end of the season. I’m already working for 2015. Still a lot to show in Formula 1.”

Rosberg: Every single point counts

nico-rosberg-mercedes_3180964.jpg

As he battles his team-mate Lewis Hamilton for the World title, Nico Rosberg concedes that "every last point will be crucial."
As the second part of the 2014 season gets underway, Rosberg is holding an 11-point advantage over Hamilton in the intra-team race for the title.
The duo, though, both lost a bit of ground to third-placed Daniel Ricciardo last time out in Hungary as the Red Bull racer claimed the victory.
And although it was only the second time that Mercedes had failed to win a race this season, Rosberg says it is a sign that the team needs to contine pushing hard.
The German said: "It's good to be back after the break and to see everyone looking really refreshed and up for the fight in the remaining months of the season.
"The last race didn't turn out how I had hoped after taking pole in tricky conditions the day before, but I still managed to come away with my championship lead intact and that's a good place to be heading into the next part of the year.
"Although we have had a great start with plenty of good results, that race showed that the other teams are never too far away.
"In Formula One you just can't afford to give away any advantage and I know that both the team and myself will be working harder than ever to keep improving and maintain our position right to the very end.
"On top of that, the battle with Lewis has been so close all season - and it could well stay that way right up to the final race - so every last point will be crucial in that contest too."
Looking ahead to this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix, the 29-year-old will not only be chasing his first victory but also his first visit to the Spa podium.
"Next up, of course, we have Belgium, which is definitely one of the most spectacular races of the year. The circuit is just unreal and it's one I think every driver looks forward to.
"My record there hasn't been as good as at some other circuits in the past, but I'm determined to change that and get the season kicked off again in style!"

'Senior drivers won't like Max's debut'

max-verstappen-red-bull_3192935.jpg

Max Verstappen may find the reception a little chilly when he enters F1, according to former McLaren assistant team manager Tony Jardine.
Next season Verstappen will make history when he becomes the youngest driver to compete in Formula 1.
The Dutch racer will make his debut with Toro Rosso at just 17 years of age.
Not everyone, though, will be happy with his very early debut.
Jardine told Sky Sports News: "What the senior drivers will think about it - don't ask them, because they won't like it."
However, Jardine, who also worked with Brabham and Lotus during his time in Formula 1, believes Verstappen has the ability to succeed in F1.
"This kid is good," he said.
"He has been racing karts since he was around eight or nine years of age, he has won eight times already in the Formula Three series. So they decided to take him into the Red Bull junior team and he is going to replace Vergne.
"He looks like a wonder-kid, but he is going to be the youngest-ever on a grand prrix grid.
"In the Netherlands, where he comes from, the age is 18 to get your driving licence, so it is going to be a huge story for the Dutch media.
"But the point is he has been racing since he was a little boy, like Lewis Hamilton.
"He will already have quite a few years of experience racing by the time he gets to the grid."

Raikkonen looking for 2009 Spa repeat

kimi-raikkonen-hungarian-gp_3178722.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen is hoping this year's Belgian GP will prove to be a high point in his season as it was the last time he raced a Ferrari at Spa.
Raikkonen has a mixed record racing Ferraris at the Belgian track as he either wins or he falters.
In 2007 and 2009 he claimed the race win while in 2008 he crashed out in rain.
This year, though, Raikkonen is hoping particularly for a repeat of 2009 as his Spa win came at a time when he was having a few troubles with his car.
"Last time I drove here in a Ferrari I won, and that was in a year when we had been struggling since the start," he revealed.
"But," he added, "in Spa we managed to get things going a bit more in the right direction and it would be good if the same thing could happen this year.
"That would hopefully mean the racing would be a bit more fun. It's always more fun when we get the results!"
The Finn, like many of his rivals, is a fan of the Spa-Francorchamps circuit with its long straights and sweeping corners.
"Spa is probably my favourite circuit because it's an old-style track which climbs and drops through the forest and I like the fact it's fast and flowing. Also, it usually provides good racing to watch for the spectators.
"I think you can make a difference as a driver at every part of the circuit, but as with every track, it's a combination of factors.
"At Turn 1, the hairpin, you can actually lose or gain a lot of time and you need good speed out of it because after it comes the very long straight including Eau Rouge.
"That corner has been easily flat out for quite a long time now, although actually, with this year's cars, that might not be the case."

Bottas 'aiming for good result' at Spa

Valtteri-Bottas_3178157.jpg

Valtteri Bottas has reiterated his belief that Williams could be on course for a great result this weekend in Belgium.
Williams' revival could hit a high note this weekend at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit, a track that is expected to suit the FW36.
The high-speed flowing corners and the long straights should play into the hands of the FW36's aerodynamics, aiding by the power of its Mercedes engine.
As such, many are expecting Williams to take the fight to Mercedes wtih Bottas saying a "good" result should be on the cards.
Bottas said: "Spa is always a great place to go; it's one of the best circuits in the world.
"The elevation changes and high speed corners make it a real pleasure to drive, especially in an F1 car.
"Because of the long straights and variable weather conditions races can be very interesting for the driver and for the fans.
"To be competitive in Spa you need a car with efficient aerodynamics, so we expect to be strong and are aiming for a good result."

Sochi is ready - Whiting

Sochi-Autodrum_3175155.jpg

FIA race director Charlie Whiting has given the go-ahead for the Sochi Autodrom to be granted a F1 license.
Whiting visited the Russian circuit on Tuesday, conducting the standard inspection that every new track has to undergo before hosting a grand prix.
The Brit confirmed that everything is in place and venue is ready to host the inaugural Russian GP this October.
"The circuit is in extremely good condition and - yes - it will be issued with a license," said Whiting.
"Everything has been done according to the plans - the kerbs are very good, the verges, the guardrails, the walls - everything is in an extremely good condition.
"Everything has been done to the highest standards and I'm extremely pleased. I can say without hesitation that the circuit is ready 60 days in advance, which is very rare really."
Asked specifically about the Race Control building, Whiting said: "Well, it's state of the art, it's very good, and I was very impressed when I walked in to the Race Control building. It really does look extremely impressive.
"Fundamentally, all Race Control buildings are the same, but in this particular case it's been done with very latest high-tech equipment. The images we see at race control are absolutely superb."
Russian GP promotor Sergey Vorobyev has welcomed the news.
"We were ready for Mr. Whiting's visit and we want to congratulate our builders who have made this positive verdict happen," he said.
"We were confident that FIA would appreciate the efforts made by our team to implement the technical details that have been so highly reviewed by Mr. Whiting today.
"Now that Sochi Autodrom has received a license, everything else is up to the organizers of the events and as such we are working intensely on ensuring that all aspects of the event are fully prepared.
"It is our aim to make this a truly unforgettable event with the comfort and enjoyment of our guests at the forefront of all our efforts."

Preview: Belgian Grand Prix

formula-1-grand-prix-belgium-belgian-spa

Ten things to watch out for at everybody's favourite grand prix, including JEV's manager working overtime... ;)

• Spa-Francorchamp is everything an F1 circuit should be - it's fast, historic, with fearsome corners, unpredictable weather and some great spectator vantage points. In the past it's seen some epic encounters - Schumi's first win, Schumacher vs Hakkinen, a Jordan GP 1-2 from Damon Hill and Ralf Schumacher. Occasionally there's carnage at the start, most recently courtesy of Romain Grosjean, and a little further back in time, Coulthard and Irvine caused an accident that decimated the field in 1998. Then there was that time that DC converted Michael's car into a three-wheeler and Lewis got one of the most outrageous penalties in the history of the sport. It's in every drivers' top three circuits, and most drivers' top one circuits. It's unmissable.
  • Dan Ricciardo gives us the drivers' POV on Spa: "Above all, Spa is a racing circuit - one that really encourages exciting wheel-to-wheel action. That said, F1 has changed over the years and whereas Eau Rouge and Blanchimont were once the standout sections, now it's probably the Pouhon downhill left-hander at Turns 10 and 11. That's seriously, seriously fast - and probably a good place to watch the race from for anyone prepared for a bit of a hike through the Ardennes."
  • Although it's traditionally been a circuit where Ferrari have done well, this year they might be struggling against the greater power of the Mercedes hybrid units. Force India first started punching above their weight at Spa in 2009 when Giancarlo Fischella put his car on pole position and finished just a second behind Kimi Raikkonen without KERS on the car. It was their first ever podium
  • Force India boss Veejay Mallya hasn't let the summer break dim his enthusiasm for a top four finish and knows the next two power races (Monza's next) will suit his car: "'I'm pleased we went into the summer break in fifth place. I think it's where we deserve to be at this stage of the season. Fourth place is not out of reach either with 38 points covering fourth to sixth place. One race can make all the difference, and the last race, with double points, could prove to be decisive."
  • Williams' director of Trackside Engineering, Rob Smedley, is hoping that the team can push Mercedes every bit as hard as they did in Austria and believes they have the package to do so: "Power sensitivity at Spa is very high; every horsepower you have is worth more there than at other tracks. The drag sensitivity is very high. And we know our car is very strong in those areas. Additionally, I think at somewhere like Spa, with harder compounds, it can sometimes be quite difficult to get the tyres turned on and I think our car can do that - especially when it's a front-end problem."
  • The weather for nearby Liege (which admittedly isn't so deeply embedded in the misty Ardennes) is predicted to be dry and cloudy on Friday, but only around 17C. On Saturday there are chances of showers all day and certainly for Qualifying at lunchtime; while on Sunday it's cloudy and 17C again. The low track temperatures could certainly help Williams qualify well given that they can switch their tyres on. Austria was like that, too.
  • Spa is the longest lap in F1, so it's important to be on the right tyre at the right time. Making a too-late call to come in and change can lose several seconds (and places). Plus there's always the chance of rain and the key is knowing when to switch on to Inters or Wets, because it can be raining on one part of the circuit and not on another. Or, it might be raining on McLaren's radar but not on anybody elses's...arf.
  • Pirelli think that there is a big time difference between the two tyres they are bringing, especially given the longer lap distance, as motorsport director Paul Hembery explains: "Despite the fact that tyre wear and degradation is traditionally high at Spa - the result of the multiple energy loadings put through the tyres - we have been able to nominate the soft tyres here as well as the medium for the first time since 2011, with the softer option liable to be the preferred choice in qualifying due to a significant time gap."
  • The paddock will be awash with stories on F1's youngest debutant in 2015, Max Verstappen. Verstappen's STR drive will finally put a Dutchman in a good car. Dutch fans might have hoped and expected that Robin Frijns would get there first, but according to Autosport's highly respected journo Marcus Simmons, Max Verstappen is very special (and you'd certainly take Marcus' word over Helmut Marko's). It's going to add an extra dimension to the paddock having his dad, the volatile Jos Verstappen on hand. It will also make Daniil Kvyat the veteran of the team at 20 years old.
  • Despite languishing behind Force India, Eric Boullier is bullish about McLaren's chances in the remaining races this year. It's a familiar tune that he's been humming from a timebefore the Bahrain Grand Prix: "It won't be until Singapore - where we resume with a more conventional set-up - that we'll get a clearer read on our progress, but I think we have reasons to be optimistic. The operational changes we've implemented over the course of the season have taken time to bed-in, but I think we'll certainly see a more pronounced upswing in performance over these final eight races of the year."

Why Andre Lotterer is driving for Caterham

andre-lotterer_100353311_m.jpg

André Lotterer will drive for Caterham F1 Team at the Belgian Grand Prix and it is not really a great surprise. The team’s primary goal is to improve the performance of the CT05 and while Kamui Kobayashi is quick, he is not famed for his technical feedback, while the team’s second driver Marcus Ericsson does not yet have the experience to do the job but is still providing funding for the team and so the Swede remains in the second car. It’s a tough break for Kobayashi but one can understand why the team had taken the decision to try another driver. There were lengthy discussions with Britain’s James Rossiter but he is busy in Japan.

On paper, Lotterer is a German. His father was a German-Peruvian motorsport engineer Henri Lotterer but when Andre was three the family moved to Belgium and Henri established a racing team called RAS, best known in the 1980s as the team that prepared Volvos for the European Touring Car Championship. So Andre grew up in Belgium, attended school in Nivelles and cut his teeth in competition there. Today he is officially resident in Monaco, spends several months a year in Japan but returns to Belgium on a regular basis to see his mother, who remains there. His father died several years ago.
It is also often forgotten that Lotterer was a Formula 1 test driver with the Jaguar Racing team back in 2002 but did not find a way to break into Grand Prix racing and so headed to Japan where he built himself a very successful career in Formula Nippon and the Japanese Super GT Championship. he was the Formula Nippon champion in 2011. This led to him being recruited by the Audi factory sportscar team and to his three Le Mans victories in 2011, 2012 and earlier this year. The team believes that Lotterer will provide them with the feedback that is needed in order to make changes to the Caterham that will give the team a chance to score points in the latter part of the season. It is a tough challenge but Lotterer is clearly up for it because he is giving up a Japanese Super Formula race in Motegi to compete at Spa, which will impact his chances in that series, in which he is lying second, battling former Williams F1 driver Kazuki Nakajima, his team-mate, for the title. The team says that weather also plays a big role at Spa-Francorchamps and Lotterer is one of the most experienced drivers racing in mixed conditions, thanks to his considerable experience on Japanese tracks.
“I’m ready for this challenge and I cannot wait to jump in the car and make the most out of the weekend ahead,” said Lotterer. “I will need to get settled and used to the car quickly, as the team has worked on a number of updates and we will need to have as much time as possible out on track to optimise the car’s performance. I really enjoy racing at the legendary circuit of Spa-Francorchamps, it’s one of my favourite tracks and it’s very close to where I grew up, so this makes the weekend even more special.”

Dall’Ara blames Ferrari for Sauber's struggles

sauber-ferrari-hungary-14.jpg

Sauber's head of track engineering has blamed Ferrari for its woes this season as the Swiss team is just one of two to have failed to score a point so far in 2014.

His comments come after team principal Monisha Kaltenborn refused to lay the blame squarely on Ferrari despite admitting the engine's lack of power is a "major factor".

Giampaolo Dall’Ara sees it differently though. Whilst he admits the C33 "isn't the best car" they've built, he says the lack of top speed afforded by the Ferrari power unit is their achilles heel.

"We received our new power train late. And all the associated information," he told Auto Motor und Sport.

"The plan for the first test was to learn and sort out the reliability problems. Unfortunately, the laptimes were disappointing.

"The numbers show it pretty clearly. We lack top speed," he explained.

"At Hockenheim, we noticed that we were not losing much to them [Williams] in the faster corners. The time we are losing is on the straight and under braking.

"It is clear that our engine is not at the level of the Mercedes. And despite our good cooperation with Ferrari, our hands are tied. And even Ferrari’s are as well because of the engine homologation."

Caterham confirm new-look nose for Belgian GP

caterham-ct05-2014-bahtest.jpg

Caterham will debut a new-look nose at this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix, deputy team principal Manfredi Ravetto has confirmed.

It was reported in July that a new nose was under development with the hope of deploying it at Spa, as part of a major development push in order to claim 10th from Sauber or even jump Marussia in 9th.

"The new nose is part of a package of innovations we are bringing to Spa as a demonstration of how we are trying to revive our performance, even if we are restructuring the team and living difficult days from which we hope to emerge soon," Ravetto told Omnicorse.

Whilst the new nose will have a major visual impact on the CT05, Ravetto revealed it's just a small part of a major development package which will become clearer over the next few races.

"The changes in Belgium are, in fact, just the beginning - the most important things you will see later," he added.

Lotus record £64 million loss during 2013

maldonado-e22_W2Q5059.jpg

The Lotus F1 Team has recorded losses of £64 million during the financial year of 2013 according to its latest accounts. The losses come just days after team co-owner Gerard Lopez dismissed talk of financial problems at the Enstone outfit.

A report in Forbes states the loss is a result of inter-company loans between the team's owner, Genii Capital, and the interest accrued on those loans.

The 2013 accounts show that revenue was stable at £92.6m ($154m), but net losses rose by almost £10m ($16m) as interest payments increased to £13.5m ($22.5m).

The increase in interest payments is down to the fact loans to the company have almost doubled to £125m ($208m), made up of third-party debt and group loans. 2014 accounts may well show a minor improvement after the team sold a 10 per cent stake to Russia's YotaPhones following the failure to sell a 35 per cent stake to Quantum Motorsport last year.

LOTTERER: I HOPE I CAN HELP CATERHAM TO MOVE FORWARD

dcd1421au184.jpg

Andre Lotterer says will dig deep into his experience in an effort to help move Caterham forward when he makes his Formula 1 debut at the Belgian Grand Prix.
The 32-year-old German was drafted into the Caterham team in place of regular driver Kamui Kobayashi, so that the team can tap into his knowledge of the new technology due to his success with the factory Audi sportscar team with whom he has won Le Mans thrice.
Lotterer last drove a Formula 1 Jaguar back in 2002 where he was a test driver. Since then he has competed regularly in single seaters in the Japanese Super Formula series, becoming champion in 2011, and coupledto this is his exceptional pedigree in endurance racing.
djmval45103.jpg
Andre Lotterer during Valencia testing of the Jaguar R2 in 2001
He told the official F1 website, “It is a big challenge to come in like that [at the] last minute, but to do an F1 race is always something that I wanted to do. I grew up in Belgium, I know Spa very well so I thought: lets do it!”
“I hope I can help Caterham to move forward. I don’t know if you can expect a lot from me, but I’m ready to give everything and go flat out,” concluded Lotterer.
“The team will benefit from having another experienced driver at the wheel of the car throughout the weekend,” Caterham said in a statement earlier in the week.
“The German’s feedback will contribute to improve the performance of the car. The weather also plays a big role at Spa-Francorchamps and Lotterer is one of the most experienced drivers racing under mixed conditions.”

ALONSO: HOPEFULLY OUR NEW PEOPLE CAN FIND EXTRA HORSEPOWER!

Fernando+Alonso+F1+Grand+Prix+Belgium+Pr

Fernando Alonso prepares to drive one of the Shell Eco-Marathon cars at their unveiling on the eve of the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps

The first part of Fernando Alonso’s usual Thursday press meeting, this time on the eve of thew Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps, was taken up discussing a 16 year old Dutch boy!

The news that Max Verstappen will be 17 years old when he makes his debut with Toro Rosso next year has been making all the headlines in the week heading to Spa.
“We will have to see how he gets on next year,” was Alonso’s view. “For now, I welcome him and wish him the best. Probably I wasn’t ready at 17. Maybe I felt I was at the time, but now, after 14 years in Formula 1 you can see areas where you improved a lot. But today, Formula 1 cars are a lot easier to drive, not so demanding physically, so that can help the new arrivals.”
Team Principal Marco Mattiacci recently declared that the Maranello team has to adopt a more aggressive approach in how it goes racing, and the Spaniard agreed that this was the right way to move forward.
“Actually, I think we have already been quite aggressive in recent years, with such examples as running pull-rod suspension on the front of the cars since 2012 and a new concept for the exhausts at the rear,” he observed.
Fernando+Alonso+F1+Grand+Prix+Belgium+Pr
“Now, we just need to keep improving the car and our facilities in the factory in order to be a stronger team, with new ideas.”
The Ferrari driver then had this to say about Luca Marmorini being replaced by Mattia Binotto, “All the changes made recently are aimed at making us more competitive and stronger. So if the team decides to replace someone, it’s because it feels a new person can do better.”
“The power unit development was frozen but from next year, we need to unlock some more of the potential from the power unit, because we are not at the performance level of some of our opponents. Hopefully, the new people can find the extra horsepower!”
As for the rest of the season, Alonso restated his aim to help the team finish as high up the Constructors’ classification as possible.
“I think the fight with Williams will go right to the end,”predicted the double F1 world champion. “These two races in Spa and Monza should favour them more, so we must try and score good points. As for the Drivers’ championship, I would like to finish third, fighting Ricciardo, but that’s quite an ambitious target.”

RAIKKONEN: F1 CARS WERE MUCH MORE CHALLENGING TO DRIVE IN THE PAST

140021bel.jpg

The Spa circuit is famous for its high speed challenge and, at his usual Thursday meeting with the media in the Belgian paddock, Kimi Raikkonen was asked if he regretted the fact the current cars are a bit slower than in the past.
“In a way yes, if you think of F1, you’d think we would have everything possible in the car to make them go faster, as it was in the past,” mused the Scuderia Ferrari driver.
“But obviously, now the rules have changed aimed at making the cars slower, while improving the show. I think the cars looked nicer in the past and were much more challenging to drive and it was more fun in some ways.”
“On the other side, maybe we have more overtaking now, but sometimes I think it would be nice to go back and race with the cars from the past.”
When Kimi made his F1 debut there were concerns voiced about his lack of experience, so he is ideally placed to comment on the story of the day, next year’s arrival of the currently 16 year old Max Verstappen at Toro Rosso.
140007bel.jpg
Kimi Raikkonen drives one of the Shell Eco-Marathon at Spa-Francorchamps
“I did one full year, 23 races in a car before coming to F1,” recalled the Finn. “He has probably done more. I did well; time will tell how he will do. The sport is more straightforward now than in the past, the points are given out to more finishers. So I don’t think he will have problems and I hope he does well.”
Kimi’s last win at Spa came at the wheel of a Ferrari in 2009, which at the time he described as “a miracle.”
He was asked what a victory would represent on Sunday. “It would be a similar story!” he said.
“That year, we were one of the few teams running KERS and that was a good help for us here. Hopefully we can have a good weekend overall and a good race, so that we start improving.”
“But here and Monza are probably not the easiest places for us as we are missing some straightline speed, which is very important at this circuit and the next one. I think that the final part of the season can only be better for us, especially as I’ve had a much better feeling from the car at the last two races.”

ROSSI TO MAKE F1 RACE DEBUT REPLACING CHILTON

dne1424jy100.jpg

American Alexander Rossi will make his Formula One debut for Marussia at this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix after Britain’s Max Chilton was sidelined for contractual reasons.
The team announced: “The Marussia F1 Team will provide Alexander Rossi with the opportunity to make his Grand Prix debut at this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix in Spa-Francorchamps.”
Rossi, 22, will race alongside Frenchman Jules Bianchi and become the first US driver to start a grand prix since Scott Speed with Toro Rosso in 2006.
Rossi joined British-based Marussia as reserve driver last month after previously carrying out the role at tail-enders Caterham.
“It goes without saying that I am thrilled to be given the opportunity to race in Formula 1 for the first time and I cannot thank the Marussia F1 Team enough for the faith they are demonstrating in me,” said the American.
Marussia_14093_HiRes-001.jpg

“It’s a very big moment for me and there’s a lot to prepare in a short space of time, but on the other hand I have felt ready for this for quite a while now. It is also exciting to be given this opportunity at such a fantastic and historical circuit as Spa-Francorchamps. I can’t wait to drive the MR03 from tomorrow and I hope to reward the team with a solid race weekend,” he added.

Team principal John Booth indicated the change had not been planned, “Although it was not our intention to offer Alexander the possibility to race this season, in light of the circumstances we are pleased to be providing him with the opportunity to make his Grand Prix debut at this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix in Spa-Franchorchamps.”

“Naturally we hope to resume normal service with respect to our established race driver line-up as soon as possible, but for now we wish Alexander well for the weekend ahead and we look forward to seeing him in action,” he added.

Rossie becomes the first USA driver in Formula 1 since Scott Speed who departed Toro Rosso after the 2007 European Grand Prix, after 28 races with the team.

Mario Andretti (Lotus) and Phil Hill (Ferrari) have been the only Americans to be Formula 1 world champions, this they achieved in 1978 and 1961 respectively.

Alexander Rossi motorsport CV

From 185 Formula car starts, 22 year old Alexander has: 39 wins, 68 podiums, 35 poles and current win percentage of 21.1%.2014 Marussia F1 Team Official Reserve Driver

• 2014 Caterham F1 Official Reserve Driver
  • 2014 Caterham Racing GP2 Championship Race Driver
  • 2013 Caterham Racing GP2 Championship Race Driver – 8th Overall
  • 2013 Caterham F1 Team Official Reserve Driver
  • 2012 Caterham F1 Team Official Test Driver
  • 2012 World Series by Renualt – 11th Overall
  • 2011 World Series by Renault – 3rd Overall and Rookie Champion
  • 2011 AirAsia Team Lotus Driver Development Program
  • 2011 FIA Institute Young Driver Excellence Academy
  • 2010 ART Grand Prix GP3 – 4th Overall Championship
  • 2009 BMW Sauber F1 Testing – F1 Superlicense Qualifications
  • 2009 GP2 Asia / Meritus Racing and Ocean Racing – 9th Overall, 3 Top 5 Finishes
  • 2009 International Formula Master Championship / ISR Racing – 4th Overall and Rookie Champion
  • 2008 Formula BMW World Champion, 1st Place
  • 2008 Formula BMW Americas 1st Champion, 10 wins
  • 2007 Formula BMW Americas 3rd Overall, 3 wins
  • 2006 Skip Barber National Series, 3rd Overall, 4 wins
  • 2006 Skip Barber Western Regional Series, 1st Champion

STEWART: ALONSO IS A GENIUS AND MOST COMPLETE DRIVER

d12gbr2116.jpg

Motorsport legend and triple world champion Sir Jackie Stewart has pointed out four drivers who he claims are the best of Formula 1′s current era, but of the quartet Fernando Alonso stands out claims the Scot.
Asked by the sports newspaper Marca to name the best driver in Formula 1 today, 75-year-old Stewart said: “Mentally, probably Alonso. The fastest is perhaps Lewis Hamilton.
“Rosberg is definitely one of the best, more consistent, and on the same level I think is Vettel. Those are the best,” said Stewart. “In the world there are hundreds of millions of drivers, several thousand make their living from it, a few hundred live very well.”
“There are 22 Grand Prix drivers, maybe six of them are really good, three exceptional, but there is only one genius. So if I had to choose the most complete driver I would say Alonso,” he explained.
SNE17293_copy-750x500.jpg
Jackie Stewart has high regard for Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel
Stewart thinks Alonso, at 33, is in the prime of his racing life, “I think it’s the perfect age. He has lived the good, the bad and the ugly.”
Arguably, however, the present is one of those ‘ugly’ phases for Alonso; highly paid but missing a third career title ever since he switched to Ferrari in 2010.
“I don’t know if he should change teams,” Stewart said, “but what I do know is that he will have to make that decision in the next six to eight weeks.”
Alonso won two F1 world titles for Renault in 2005 and 2006, and since his grand prix debut for Minardi in 2001 has scored 32 wins, 97 podiums in 227 starts.

MATTIACCI: ALLISON IS HEAD OF THE 2015 FERRARI PROJECT

dms1418ap693.jpg

Ferrari invited its fans to put questions to team principal, Marco Mattiacci, through Twitter and Facebookand there were hundreds of questions from around the world, which came in the space of a few hours. Here is a selection of answers from the Maranello team boss.
Does Ferrari really intend to return to the top of Formula 1? In that case isn’t it time to make its own weight felt to change it?
MM: To return to winning ways, the team must first think of improving itself, the performance of the group and the development of the car. We must be innovative and ahead of the others. As for making its weight felt, the voice of Ferrari, one of Formula 1’s main players, and is always listened to: clearly we need to work with common interests to truly understand what Formula 1 should be in the future. In any case we believe there are on going discussions that prove just what the opportunities are for improvement in a sport that is already per se phenomenal.
Have you already started work on the car for next year?
MM: Certainly. And we are doing so capitalising on the experience of 2014 which has, in its own way, been essential.
Have you made any decisions to try and improve the relationship between the engine and aerodynamics departments for 2015?
MM: Yes. Today James Allison is effectively the overall head of the project with a clear responsibility, and the coordination and supervision of the various divisions is up to him.
140058ger.jpg
James Allison in charge of the technical side in 2015
What have been your early impressions of how the Gestione Sportiva runs, either positive or negative?
MM: Gestione Sportiva is the result of over 60 years of racing, a great vision, phenomenal drivers and impressive engineering, When I arrived I had the impression of entering in the heart of a legend. I therefore came here with the utmost respect and curiosity.There is a need for leadership and a clear vision to get back to the top again, starting with elements that are in our DNA, including tradition, innovation and a hunger for wins.
When you accepted the offer to take the helm of Scuderia Ferrari, did you think the situation was as bad as it looked from the outside?
MM: The team turned out to be what I expected. We have a very strong base, a great tradition, because our company was born out of a race team and we are working to make the team more compact and to get back to being competitive as soon as possible.
What are the three main changes you have introduced?
MM: We are applying a change to our working methods, adopting a new approach and a strategy that can make us more competitive. We have decided to invest in new infrastructures and people to create a more modern and slimmed down organization, but one that at the same time puts the emphasis on the team and on individuality. It is equally important to give everyone the chance to express their talent to the maximum. Putting this aside, historically, Ferrari has been and will always be ever more the maximum authority in motorsport.
140055can.jpg
Fernando Alonso in the Ferrari F14T
What do you think was the biggest mistake made in planning the F14T?
MM: There were some decisions from the technical point of view that didn’t pay off as well as those of our rivals. But I think that this type of discussion should be dealt with inside the team. We are very clear about the areas where we are uncompetitive. It boils down to a mid-to-long-term path that we will try to speed up as much as possible but that in general requires strategic preparation that is very different to what we’ve done in the past.
Aldo Costa and Luca Marmorini said a lot of interesting things about Ferrari, especially about the ‘chaos’ inside the team. What is your opinion about their statements?
MM: I think working for Ferrari, as I said since my first day in this role, is not a regular job: it’s a mission. I believe therefore it’s extremely difficult for anybody to leave Ferrari. However, in a professional world, I like people that always fight for their ideas and challenge the status quo, in the right place and without settling for compromise.
Don’t you think it would be better to have a championship with 16 races and more testing (which is useful for development) with the paddock open to the fans, at least at tests?
MM: I think that it is important to extend Formula 1’s user base, both physically and in terms of media, to as many countries as possible. At the same time I consider it crucial to bring tests back to our sport: this is to give the chance for talented young drivers to grow and to be put to the test, and to allow the teams to make progress on their own cars and to come up with new solutions. But above all however, tests could be used to bring the public closer to Formula 1, it is to transform the tests into the central element to bring the public back closer to our sport, with more of a focus on entertainment involving individual fans.
140128spa.jpg
When do you think we could see Ferrari fighting for the world championship?
MM: What I can promise is that we are working as hard as possible to return to being competitive in the shortest time possible, to offer our fans weekends that can give more hope that we can fight for the win right up to the final kilometre and the final bend.
How would you describe in all honesty your relations with employees?
MM: First among equals… I am one of them.
What relationship does a Team Principal have with the engineers working at Maranello?
MM: The Team Principal has the job of bringing leadership, to establish targets and to offer the workers a comprehensive vision, which goes beyond their specific technical field. He must also allow every individual to express their own talent in the best way and maintain strong coordination between the various departments.
What is needed to have a brilliant career within the Ferrari F1 Team?
MM: There is a formula for success in every business, not only in Ferrari, and it’s this: work harder than your colleagues!!
What do you expect from Spa-Francorchamps to the end of the championship? What do you think of Fernando Alonso?
MM: At Spa and Monza I expect very difficult races, where the hierarchy among the teams and the advantage of our our rivals’ cars’ will be more obvious. They will be tricky races but we will go into them with the total commitment, adopting aggressive strategies and trying to make the most of any opportunities that come our way. As for Fernando Alonso, he is without doubt one of the best drivers in the world.
Alonso-Raikkonen.jpg
Can you tell what you appreciate most about your two drivers?
MM: In Fernando I like the passion and the permanent will to win and fight. In Kimi I like his coolness and pure love of driving. Everything aside from driving is perhaps secondary in his life. They clearly have different personalities but with a lot in common.
After teenager MaxVerstappen at Toro Rosso, why not youngsters Raffaele Marciello or Antonio Fuoco in Marussia?
MM: The FDA is a very important strategic part of the development of our team in the future. Clearly in Formula 1 the ages are lowering a lot. Having said that, there are various different systems for scouting out and training new drivers. As for our philosophy we will continue to invest in improving the FDA, which has only been going for four years. Naturally we will also work to find an outlet for our drivers, and this is one of the areas in which we are concentrating our efforts
Will we ever see a B-Team, a bit like Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso, to give a chance to promising youngsters?
MM: It’s a fact that opportunities will be created for the Ferrari Driver Academy (FDA) drivers, as it is tasked with training new talent. One needs to create the possibility to put these youngsters to the test and make them progress, until they are ready for a top team. We are exploring various methods and new solutions to continue to work in this area and currently various possibilities are being discussed. Obviously once you have created these talents, you need opportunities to test out these young drivers, putting them to the test and helping them grow until they are ready for a top team. We are exploring methods and new solutions to continue to work in this field – and there are different possibilities already under discussion.
When you were a teenager did you follow Formula 1? Who was your favourite driver?
MM: Yes, I’ve always followed it. Among my favourite drivers were Ayrton Senna first of all, followed by Gilles Villeneuve and Michael Schumacher.
What is the one thing you would like to have in Maranello which is from the USA?
MM: Starbucks coffee!
What was the thing you found strangest about F1?
MM: The interest in my sunglasses…

KOBAYASHI: I FEEL SORRY FOR ALL MY SUPPORTERS

dms1416ma26.jpg

Sidelined Caterham driver Kamui Kobayashi will spend the Spa-Francorchamps weekend out of the cockpit and assessing the potential lack of harmony in his racing life and admits he feels for his fans who helped him secure the drive with their financial contributions.
Although still under contract to Caterham, the team’s new management has substitued the popular Japanese driver for at least the Belgian Grand Prix in favour of 32-year-old Formula 1 rookie and reigning Le Mans winner Andre Lotterer.
“It’s a shame not to drive Spa,” Kobayashi told his more than 150,000 Twitter followers. “I feel sorry for all my supporters but this is motor sports – I hope not!”
Able to bring little to the table for the increasingly sponsorship-minded new Caterham chiefs, Kobayashi has earlier lamented the increasing power of the ‘pay driver’ but also life at the back of the grid in 2014.
Asked in Hungary recently if the uncompetitive Caterham is giving him the tools to showcase his famously attacking style, he admitted: “Not really! It’s not really happy but I need to hope that one day I’m going to make something, a really exciting race. A train race is not really exciting,”
Kamui+Kobayashi+F1+Grand+Prix+Germany+Pr
Kamui Kobayashi has not had much fun with Caterham this season
Now, after his ousting, Kobayashi posted a Leonardo da Vinci quote to his Twitter followers in Japanese.
In English, the quote is: “Every now and then go away, have a little relaxation, for when you come back to your work your judgment will be surer.
“Go some distance away because then the work appears smaller and more of it can be taken in at a glance and a lack of harmony and proportion is more readily seen,” the fabled Italian painter had said.
Caterham’s decision to axe Kobayashi has been criticised by former team technical boss Mike Gascoyne, who is still involved in the wider Tony Fernandes-led Caterham Group.
“Such a shame that Kamui is not driving for Caterham at Spa,” the Briton said on Twitter. “He was their only hope of regaining tenth place but [the decision is] typical of the new management.”

CHILTON EXPECTS TO BE BACK ON THE GRID AT MONZA

dpl1421au027.jpg

Max Chilton expects to be back in the Marussia cockpit in two weeks time for the Italian Grand Prix, despite being forced to miss the Belgian Grand Prix due to a contractual issues and his race seat this weekend being filled by American Alexander Rossi who will make his F1 race debut at Spa.
A statement released by Chilton’s PR agency, suggests that the Briton stepped aside voluntarily to help the cash strapped team: “Max Chilton has volunteered to step out of his race seat for this weekend’s race in Spa, Belgium, to allow the team to attract much needed funds by selling his seat. Max will attend the race and be on hand to support the team in any way possible.”
“Marussia are currently in talks with several new investors and it is expected the situation will be resolved before the next race in the F1 calendar in Monza,” concluded Chilton’s statement.
Meanwhile the team announced on Thursday that Rossi “will race alongside Jules Bianchi, substituting for Max Chilton while contractual issues are resolved.”

Rosberg warns of lessons learned

Nico-Rosberg_3193719.jpg

Nico Rosberg has revealed he learned "various things" from Mercedes' latest team order row that he intends adapting for the future.
Last time out in Hungary, with Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton on different strategies, the German found himself behind his team-mate out on track.
Hamilton was ordered to move over but told the team that the Championship leader would have to do the work himself.
The end result was a third place for Hamilton, a fourth for Rosberg, and just 11 points separating the two in the Championship race.
Asked for his thoughts about Hungary, Rosberg said: "I gather it was a bit of a mess in the media after Hungary, so it's best I don't add too much, add too many details.
"In general, of course we discussed it after the race because it's important to review a situation like that, and how to move forward.
"I learned various things from that race which I will adapt for the future."
The 29-year-old was pushed to elaborate on what he meant but refused to.
"I don't really want to go into too much more detail than that," he said.
"As I said, we sat down and discussed it all, we reviewed to change things for the future, and that's what we've done."

THE BIG PREVIEW: BELGIAN FORMULA 1GRAND PRIX

1965_spa_start_b_1-002.jpg

Action through Eau Rouge during the 1965 Belgian Grand Prix

After enjoying its traditional summer break, Formula One returns for round 12 of the 2014 championship, the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps, one of the calendar’s true classics and one of its toughest tests.
The 7.004km circuit features every kind of challenge. From the run down through Eau Rouge and up the steep incline towards the blind Radillon corner, to the flat-out blast of the Kemmel Straight, through Les Combes and the technically difficult stretch down through Rivage, Pouhon and Fagnes and on to the fearsomely fast Blanchimont left-hander, Spa-Francorchamps is a circuit that, despite myriad alterations over the years, still pushes man and machine to the limit.
Spa is one of the season’s fastest tracks with average speeds of 230km/h and the stretch from the exit of La Source to Les Combes sees the throttle wide open for 23 seconds – the longest single period on the calendar.
Indeed, in the past as much as 70 per cent of each lap has been spent at full throttle so it will be interesting to see how teams meet that demand with 2014’s hybrid power units. Set-up is tricky too, with the key to success being the right balance between low downforce for the high-speed first and third sectors and good grip for the twistier middle sector.
d12bel2361.jpg

And then there’s the weather. The Ardennes defines the phrase ‘four seasons in one day’ and while one end of the circuit can be bathed in sunshine the opposite side can be drenched with rain. The changeable conditions can present a real headache for teams especially regarding tyre choice.

All told, Spa is the perfect venue for F1’s title hopefuls to renew hostilities. In the Driver’s Championship, just 11 points separate leader Nico Rosberg from Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton, while the battle for third spot sees Daniel Ricciardo, a two-time GP winner this season, 16 points clear of Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso. Of these, only Hamilton has won here before, but at mercurial Spa past form often counts for little. A thrilling race lies in prospect.

Spa-Francorchamps Circuit Data

• Length of lap 7.004km
  • Lap record 1:47.263 (Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull Racing, 2009)
  • Start line/finish line offset 0.124km
  • Total number of race laps 44
  • Total race distance 308.052km
  • Pitlane speed limits 80km/h in practice, qualifying and the race
  • New debris fences have been installed at Turn One.
  • Drainage has been installed or improved at Turns Two, Four, Eight, 11, 16 and 17.
  • The wall on the driver’s left after Turn 11 has been renewed.
  • There will be two DRS zones in Belgium. The detection point for the first zone will be 240m before Turn Two, with the activation point 310m after Turn Four. The second detection point will be 160m before Turn 18, with the activation point 30m after Turn 19.

166987383KR00119_F1_Grand_P.jpg

2013 Belgian Grand Prix podium

Belgian Grand Prix Fast Facts

• This will be the 59th Formula One Belgian Grand Prix, the first having been held in 1950 when it formed the fifth round of the inaugural F1 championship. The race was won by Juan Manuel Fangio.
  • That first edition of the race was held at Spa-Francorchamps, on the original 14.1km circuit. That circuit, with minor modifications, was used from 1950-’56, 1958 and from 1960-’70, after which the track was deemed too dangerous for Formula One. The Nivelles circuit was used in 1972 and 1974, with Zolder hosting the race in 1973 and then from 1975 until 1982. Spa hosted the 1983 race on a shortened 6.949km circuit and Zolder hosted its final Belgian GP in 1984.
  • With just two exceptions (2003 and 2006, when the Belgian GP was not held) the race has been staged at Spa-Francorchamps every year since 1985. The circuit has been subject to frequent modifications since then, the largest being the construction of new pit and paddock facilities prior to the 2007 race. The resultant 7.004km layout is the one currently in use. This will be the 47th F1 grand prix held at Spa-Francorchamps.
  • The most successful driver at the Belgian Grand Prix is Michael Schumacher, with six wins. The first of the German’s 91 career wins was scored here in 1992 with Benetton. He won with the same team in 1995 before recording a quartet of victories for Ferrari in 1996, ’97, 2001 and 2002. Ayrton Senna comes next, with five wins, in 1985, ’88, ’89, ’90 and ’91.
  • No driver has won the Belgian Grand Prix at more than one venue. Emerson Fittipaldi, however, is the only man to have won at Nivelles. The unloved 3.7km circuit near Brussels hosted just two Formula One grands prix and the Brazilian won both, the first with Lotus in 1972 and then in 1974 with McLaren.
  • Ferrari is the most successful constructors at the Belgian Grand Prix. The Italian squad has 16 wins, followed by 14 for McLaren and eight for Lotus. Williams have four wins, while Red Bull Racing have two. Mercedes also have a win to their credit too, in 1955, courtesy of Fangio.
  • There are five Belgian Grand Prix winners entered this weekend. Felipe Massa won in 2008, Lewis Hamilton in 2010, Sebastian Vettel in 2011 and 2013 and Hamilton again in 2012. None comes close to the achievements of Kimi Räikkönen, however. The Finn has won this race four times, starting with back-to-back wins with McLaren in 2004 and 2005. He next won for Ferrari in his championship-winning season of 2007 and most recently won again in 2009, the final year of his previous stint with the Scuderia.
  • Räikkonen’s first win at Spa-Francorchamps came from a starting position of 10th on the grid. It’s not the lowest grid slot from which victory has been scored, however. Schumacher’s 1995 win was scored from a starting position of 16th.

d05bel951.jpg

Michael Schumacher has been the most successful driver at Spa-Francorchamps

Belgian Grand Prix Statistics by Reuters

• Mercedes have won all but two races so far this season. The exceptions were Canada and Hungary, both won by Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo.
  • Red Bull’s quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel has 39 career wins, Fernando Alonso 32, Lewis Hamilton 27, Kimi Raikkonen 20 and Jenson Button 15. Championship leader Nico Rosberg has seven.
  • Hamilton is level with triple champion Jackie Stewart in the all-time list of winners. The only British driver to have won more is 1992 champion Nigel Mansell (31).
  • Ferrari have won 221 races, McLaren 182, Williams 114 and Red Bull 49. Mercedes have won 22 and one more would lift them level with now-defunct Tyrrell.McLaren have not won for 30 races, a run that dates back to Brazil 2012.
  • Ferrari’s last victory was in Spain in May 2013 – the last time a team other than Mercedes or Red Bull won.Mercedes and Williams are the only teams to have started a race on pole position this year.
  • Rosberg (Bahrain/Monaco/Canada/Britain/Germany/Hungary) has had six poles this year to Hamilton’s four (Australia/Malaysia/China/Spain). Brazilian Felipe Massa was on pole for Williams in Austria.Vettel has 45 career poles. Hamilton has 35.
  • Ferrari’s last pole was in Germany with Alonso in 2012.
  • Mercedes scored more points in the first 10 races of the year (366) than in all of 2013 (360).Caterham, who came into the sport in 2010, are the only team on the grid who have yet to score a point.
  • Ferrari have finished a record 78 successive races with at least one car in the points, a run that dates back to the 2010 German Grand Prix.
  • Alonso is the only driver to have scored points in every race this season.
  • Sauber have gone 11 races without scoring, their longest barren run since they entered the sport in 1993. They went nine in a row between October 1995 and May 1996, at a time when only the top six cars scored points.
  • Ferrari’s Raikkonen is the only driver who has yet to beat his team mate this season.
  • Spa is the longest lap of the season and one of the fastest, with an average speed of around 230kph. Cars are flat out for about 70 percent of the time, making it the hardest circuit of the year for engines.
  • The circuit has hosted 46 of the 57 Belgian GPs to date.
  • Michael Schumacher won six times at Spa, more than any driver. Kimi Raikkonen has four wins there.
  • There are no Belgian Formula One drivers at present. The last Belgian to score points in F1 was Thierry Boutsen in 1992.
  • Ferrari and McLaren have both won 12 times at Spa.
  • Only five of the last 12 races at Spa have been won from pole position.
  • Germany’s triple Le Mans winner Andre Lotterer will be making his F1 debut this weekend with Caterham at the age of 32, replacing Japan’s Kamui Kobayashi.
  • American Alexander Rossi will make his Formula One debut when he replaces Briton Max Chilton in the Marussia team’s line-up.

d12bel2323-750x500.jpg

Romain Grosjean triggered one of the biggest shunts in recent memory at the 2012 Belgian Grand Prix

Belgian Grand Prix Race Stewards Biographies

• Dr Gerd Ennser has successfully combined his formal education in law with his passion for motor racing. While still active as a racing driver he began helping out with the management of his local motor sport club and since 2006 has been a permanent steward at every round of Germany’s DTM championship. Since 2010 he has also been a Formula One steward. Dr Ennser, who has worked as a judge, a prosecutor and in the legal department of an automotive-industry company, has also acted as a member of the steering committee of German motor sport body, the DMSB, since spring 2010, where he is responsible for automobile sport. In addition, Dr Ennser is a board member of the South Bavaria Section of ADAC, Germany’s biggest auto club.
  • Italian-born Vincenzo Spano grew up in Venezuela, where he went on to study at the Universidad Central de Venezuela, becoming an attorney-at-law. Spano has wide-ranging experience in motor sport, from national to international level. He has worked for the Touring y Automóvil Club de Venezuela since 1991, and served as President of the Sporting Commission since 2001. He was president for two terms and now sits as a member of the Board of the Nacam-FIA zone. Since 1995 Spano has been a licenced steward and obtained his FIA steward superlicence in 2003.Spano has been involved with the FIA and FIA Institute in various roles since 2001: a member of the World Motor Sport Council, the FIA Committee, and the executive committee of the FIA Institute.
  • During a motor sport career spanning almost 40 years, Emanuele Pirro has achieved a huge amount of success, most notably in sportscar racing, with five Le Mans wins, victory at the Daytona 24 Hours and two wins at the Sebring 12 Hours. In addition, the Italian driver has won the German and Italian Touring Car championships (the latter twice) and has twice been American Le Mans Series Champion. Pirro, enjoyed a three-season F1 career from 1989 to 1991, firstly with Benetton and then for Scuderia Italia. His debut as an FIA Steward came at the 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and he has returned regularly since.