FORMULA 1 - 2014

Horner impressed by Austria 'carnival'

Austria-fans_3164159.jpg

F1 fans in Austria waited 11 years for the sport to return to their county and they made sure they left a big impression on the major role players.
The supporters in Spielberg certainly played their part as thousands of them packed the stands over the course of the race weekend and Red Bull team principal Christian Horner feels a lot of credit should go to Dietrich Mateschitz.
Red Bull owner Mateschitz played an instrumental part in revamping the Red Bull Ring and putting Austria back on the F1 calendar.
"I think the return of this race has been fantastic," Horner said. "It's an event for the fan, so our own frustrations are irrelevant in that respect because the weekend as a whole has been fantastic. It's been an enormous crowd, wall to wall action and a great atmosphere.
"I think you have to really applaud Dietrich Mateschitz for the commitment and the vision that he's had in bringing this grand prix back to Austria. I think it's a great example for all the promoters about what can be done over a grand prix weekend. There's been a carnival and festival atmosphere. Every five minutes there's been something different going on.
"As a facility it's fantastic. I think overall the event has been a great success."
Horner also called on F1 role players to learn from Austria's success by putting the right people in charge.
He added: "I think we had over 100,000 people [in Austria] and those tickets sold out in about 36 hours. The tickets were also affordable. It was well planned and well organised. The key thing is having the right promoters involved. Red Bull have demonstrated how an event can be promoted and organised.
"This event wasn't for Red Bull Racing, it was for the fans. Dietrich deserves all the credit for having the vision and commitment to invest."

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

'Optimistic' Dan eyes Silverstone revival

450110112_3154187.jpg

Daniel Ricciardo is confident Red Bull will iron out their problems ahead of the British GP and fight for a top-three finish.
Having won his maiden F1 race at Canada at the start of June with his team-mate Sebastian Vettel third, Ricciardo and Red Bull were expected to challenge again at their home race in Austria.
But things didn't go according to plan as the Australian could only finished eighth with Vettel forced to retire.
Luckily for the team the next race is just around the corner at Silverstone, and Ricciardo is hopeful they can challenge closer to the front as the track suits the RB10 better.
"I'm always optimistic going to Silverstone because I love the circuit but yes, it should be a circuit that suits us a little bit more," he told the official Red Bull website.
"We've got to learn a few things about our performance here but once we do that, I think we'll be fighting in the top five and trying to get on the podium."
Red Bull had high hopes ahead of the return of the Austrian GP, but they were well off the pace the whole weekend and Ricciardo feels not only did the team go backwards, but their opponents took a few steps forward.
"We expected to be quicker here this weekend and were optimistic about being in the top five and maybe sneaking onto the podium but we simply didn't have the pace," the 24-year-old said.
He added: "Another factor was that our competitors seem to have found a bit more this week and we weren't getting as much back on them in the corners as we have been previously. So, we've got a few things to look at."

F1 approves 2015 changes

FIA-WMSC-meeting-F1-600x357.png

World Motorsport Council Report 26 June 2014.
From the FIA press release:
The following decisions were taken by the WMSC:
FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
Changes to the F1 Regulations for 2015 have been agreed by the WMSC.
The last date at which the sporting and technical regulations can be changed without unanimous agreement has been changed from 30 June to 1 March each year, starting from 2015.
Changes to 2015 Sporting Regulations
Power units
- The number of engines permitted by each driver in a season will be four. However, if there are more than 20 races in a season, the number will increase to five.
- The penalty for a complete change of Power Unit will be starting from the back of the grid, not the pit lane.
Aerodynamic testing
- The number of wind tunnel runs will be reduced from 80 hours per week to 65 hours per week.
- Wind-on hours are to be reduced from 30 hours per week to 25 hours.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) usage is to be reduced from 30 Teraflops to 25 Teraflops.
- Two periods of tunnel occupancy will be allowed in one day (rather than only one).
- Teams will only be able to nominate one wind tunnel in one year.
Testing
- There will be three pre-season tests of four days each in Europe in 2015 (currently teams are able to test outside Europe). This will be reduced to two tests of four days in 2016.
- There will be two in-season tests of two days each in Europe (instead of the current four). Two of these four days must be reserved for young drivers.
Car specification at an Event
The current restrictions to the parc fermé will now apply from the start of P3 instead of the start of qualifying.
Wheels and tyres
The ban on tyre blankets will be rescinded for 2015. This will be re-discussed if and when the wheel and tyre diameter increases in the future.
Personnel Curfew
The Friday night curfew will be extended from six to seven hours in 2015 and will increase to eight hours in 2016.
Safety Car restarts
Safety Car restarts will now be a standing start from the grid. Standing starts will not be carried out if the Safety Car is used within two laps of the start (or restart) of a race or if there are less than five laps of the race remaining.
Changes to 2015 Technical Regulations
A number of changes have been made, including:
- A number of new regulations for the noses to ensure improved safety and to provide more aesthetically pleasing structures.
- A number of new regulations concerning skid blocks to ensure that they are made from a lighter material (titanium) and are better contained.
- New regulations to ensure that the brake discs rotate at the same speed as the wheels.
- A two-stage wheel fastener retaining system is now compulsory.
Many of these changes had been discussed before, but a couple interest me particularly. Reducing the number of power units from five to four for the season looks very harsh given how many teams have used so far this season. This could even give Mercedes some concerns.
The other change which strikes me as odd is the new regulation to ensure that the brake discs rotate at the same speed as the wheels. Now I would have assumed that this was what happens now, but the fact that it has made an appearance in the regulations means that either a team is doing something different now, or they have asked if they can in the future. So who is it, and what are they doing?

Indeed it will be. I really don't know how well it's going to work. I see an issue in the front runners loosing a lot of tyre temp compared to those at the rear of the grid as they wait for everyone to get in place. Imagine a start where the lead cars have little grip and the ones behind having more.

Could lead to some very interesting situations

• Like 1

Indeed it will be. I really don't know how well it's going to work. I see an issue in the front runners loosing a lot of tyre temp compared to those at the rear of the grid as they wait for everyone to get in place. Imagine a start where the lead cars have little grip and the ones behind having more.

Could lead to some very interesting situations

Like Jensen button said, these starts will not be great purely because of tyre wear. If one had tires degrading, there wont be any grip for a standing start, added to that the cold tyres. Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

• Like 1

Maldonado: I expect to be further up the order

79P3341.jpg

While Pastor Maldonado’s former team Williams ply their trade at the sharp end of the Formula 1 field, Lotus are struggling with their Renault powered E22, and despite a trouble packed race weekend in Austria, the Venezuelan is looking forward to the British Grand Prix – at one of his favourite circuits on the calendar.

What are your thoughts of the British Grand Prix?

Pastor Maldonado: I’ve won at Silverstone in the GP2 Series and I’ve always really liked the circuit. I’ve spent so much time in England that it’s like a second home to me, especially as I have family who live very close to the circuit in Oxfordshire. It’s a great event coming mid-season and it always provides an interesting race. It’s always a very special event for the teams based nearby and the support all drivers get there is amazing with some of the most knowledgeable fans in the world. This will be my first home grand prix for Lotus F1 Team so I’m looking forward to racing just down the road from the factory and seeing many familiar faces over the weekend.

What do you think of Silverstone as a circuit?

PM: I think that Silverstone is an amazing track. It has a great history, it’s fast and the change to the most recent layout hasn’t really changed the nature of the track too much. It’s always a special place to visit and you know that you’re always there for the racing as it’s not on the doorstep of a big city. I have always enjoyed racing at Silverstone since my first visit back in 2007. I also have good memories of it as I have had some great races there, including winning in both 2009 and 2010 in the GP2 Series.

79P7483.jpg

Which parts of the circuit do you like in particular?

PM: My favourite corner is Becketts as it is really quick through there. I think the track will suit our car because it’s similar to Barcelona and it’s also very fun to drive with sections like Maggots and Becketts which really test you as a driver.

What about the feeling of racing somewhere which so many teams call home?

PM: Certainly, it’s home for many, many people who work in the paddock and you do get a special feeling there. The support you get from the fans is amazing

What particular challenges could you face at Silverstone?

PM: With the track being quick and the temperatures usually low it is easy to grain the front tyres and this is something we will have to manage and consider when deciding on the pit stop strategy. Certainly, we’re always asking for more power and better reliability this year, and this is something I hope that we can experience in England.

R6T13501.jpg

What did you learn in Austria?

PM: The team and Renault Sport F1 hopefully learned quite a lot and for me behind the wheel it was a challenge. There were many issues to manage, but we but we drove through them to get to the end of the race. This year’s cars give you a lot to manage in terms of settings and driving strategies, so there is a lot to focus on when everything is working as it should. There’s even more to focus on when something’s not working the way it should! Quite a few teams were caught out with issues in Austria so it was satisfying for me and the team to get to the end of the race.

What’s the approach to the British Grand Prix?

PM: Like always, just to maximise the package we have and make the very most of every opportunity. Hopefully the high speed corners will work better with our car and it would be great to be back to where we were in Barcelona which is quite a similar circuit to Silverstone. Obviously, at the Barcelona test teams were all running to different programmes, so I don’t think we’re suddenly going to be the fastest car, but I do expect to be further up the order than we have been at recent races.

Hamilton: Silverstone really suits my style

d08gbr1677-001.jpg

Lewis Hamilton arrives at his home race – the British Grand Prix – with the best car on the grid at his disposal which makes him the bookies’ favourite to repeat the famous victory he scored at the venue in his championship winning year 2008. The the local hero arrives at Silverstone with one thing on his mind.

Previewing his home race, Hamilton said, “Silverstone is obviously a special race for me and the support I have there is just incredible. The British fans are the absolute best in the world and it’s really humbling to see thousands of people out there cheering you on – no matter what the weather or the result. I won the race in the wet in 2008, which was just the best feeling.”

He recollected, “I think the gap was around 60 seconds at the end, and I’d lapped everyone up to third place which was just unreal. I could never have hoped or dreamed for a race like that – especially at my home grand prix. That has to be one of the best moments of my career.”

And added, “I loved raising that gold trophy in front of the home crowds and I’m determined to get my hands on it again this year.”

d08gbr1874.jpg

Silverstone is flat as a pancake and its high speed nature rewards the brave, which is right up Hamilton’s street as he describes a lap around the former airfield:

“Silverstone is a track that really suits my style. It’s a seriously fast circuit and making sure that you have a stable car through the high-speed corners is crucial. You’re almost flat-out through the left-handed Turn One.

“Then switching direction into Turn Two and back once again for the tight hairpin of Turn Three. You’re hard on the brakes into here but it’s important to maintain speed through the corner and to quickly get back over to the right side of the track for Turn Four. This leads you out through Turn Five and down the first DRS straight of the lap.”

“You’re then into to the old part of the circuit, starting with Brooklands (Turn Six) and then Luffield (Turn Seven). Luffield is quite a long corner that just seems to roll on and on, but the best feature is that you can see all the fans in the stands on the outside of the corner which is fantastic.”

d13gbr787.jpg

“Next, you’re heading down the original pit straight and into Copse (Turn Nine) which is one of the coolest corners around the track. It’s a quick downshift then back on the power, using all the available space on exit for maximum speed.”

The Maggotts / Becketts sequence (Turns 10 – 12) is next, which is just so fast. You need so much downforce and grip from the car to be quick through here.”

“A good exit from Chapel (Turn 13) then sets you up for the second DRS zone down the Hangar straight and into Stowe corner (Turn 15). It’s quite bumpy, but you can carry a lot of speed through here – using every bit of room on exit once again.”

“Finally, you’re hard on the brakes into the Vale / Club complex (Turns 16 – 18) which is quite slippery, with low grip compared to other sections of the track. It’s hard on the power across the line once again, and that’s a lap!”

Hamilton will be looking to close the gap on his teammate Nico Rosberg and will targeting his 27th grand prix win this weekend.

Horner: We want to give Mercedes a run for their money

163377779KR00300_F1_Grand_P.jpg

For many Formula 1 teams the British Grand Prix is their true home race, and although Red Bull are an Austrian outfit the heart of the operation is based at their Mitlon Keynes headquarters not far from Silverstone. Team Principal Christian Horner explains why Round 9 of the 2014 Formula 1 World Championship is such a highlight of their year and what his team intend to do about Mercedes;

What’s special about the British GP?

Christian Horner: Well, Silverstone is a fantastic event. It’s the Factory’s local event, it’s great that there are so many fans there and it’s a unique atmosphere with all the camping and the smell of BBQs – there’s always a real buzz about the place. I’ve been going there since 1992 and you always get anticipation, in a good way, when you go through the main gates.

And what about the British fans?

CH: They’re among the most knowledgeable in the world and there’s a tremendous support for motor racing in the UK, not just in Formula One, but across all the disciplines of motorsport and they’re some of the most loyal and dedicated fans of all the countries that we visit. We always get a fantastic reception – they appreciate good performances, so irrelevant of the nationality of the driver, they’ve always respected the performance of a sportsman.

141017654KR00144_F1_Grand_P.jpg

It’s the factory’s local race, does that make a difference?

CH: It’s fantastic that we’ve got so many of the factory attending the race, and we have a team grandstand so everyone can sit together and cheer on the guys on track. The factory is only about 20 minutes away from the circuit so it’s fantastic to have so many of the team attend the race, to see their cars that they work on tirelessly all year, it is their one opportunity to see them live in action. And it gives an extra element for the race team as well, knowing their colleagues and families are in the crowd supporting them.

And what sort of show do you think the team can put on for those in the grandstands?

CH: All things being equal obviously the Mercedes have got such an advantage at the moment it’s going to be tough to beat them, but as we saw in Montreal recently, anything can happen and we’re going to be pushing hard. Renault are working hard on their side and hopefully we can give them a bit of a run for their money.

Is this the end for cash strapped F1 teams?

dms1408ju583.jpg

Formula 1′s last chance to slash costs for struggling teams has now passed as the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council met in Munich on Thursday, just days before the end-of-June deadline for rule changes to be made for 2015 – without the near-impossible need for unanimity.

With the budget cap proposal already dead in the water, many struggling teams had hoped that meaningful cost reductions would be agreed before the final deadline.

But the new and powerful ‘Strategy Group’ – dominated by the most competitive and richest teams – has ceded only a handful of minor measures. They were rubber-stamped by the FIA on Thursday.

Engine use has been reduced by one ‘power unit’ per driver to just four in 2015, wind tunnel usage per week has been reduced for 2015 from 80 to 65 hours, the Bahrain winter test has been banned and the personnel ‘curfew’ at races has been lengthened.

dcd1419ju100.jpg

Moreover, the use of computational fluid dynamics has been further restricted, teams will no longer be able to use more than one wind tunnel for testing, and two of the four in-season tests have been scrapped.

Many agree that the changes amount to ‘tinkering’, rather than a substantial move to ensure the survival of struggling teams.

Roger Benoit, the veteran correspondent for Swiss newspaper Blick, wondered: “Is this the end for Marussia, Caterham or Sauber?”

Indeed, with both Jean Todt and Bernie Ecclestone acknowledging the prospect of losing teams, it is known that detailed talks about three-car teams have already taken place.

“At the moment we have eleven teams and hopefully they stay in Formula 1,” said Toto Wolff, boss of dominant Mercedes. “But the last 50 years has shown that some teams come, some teams go. If it falls below a critical level, having a third car could be a way of filling up the grid.”

20_Australia_300dpi.jpg

Franz Tost, boss of Red Bull’s second team Toro Rosso, also admitted “the risk is there” that the Formula 1 grid of 2015 will not feature all 22 cars of today.

Currently, the rules do not allow three-car teams, and the June 30 deadline for non-unanimous rule changes for 2015 will soon pass.

“No,” Tost insisted. “If it was needed, I would not be surprised to see third cars in 2015,” he is quoted by Omnicorse.

Meanwhile, at its Munich meeting on Thursday, the FIA also banned the ugly ‘anteater’-style noses for 2015, and rubber stamped the use of titanium skid blocks so that they are “lighter” and “better contained”.

Titanium skid blocks were tested in practice in Austria last weekend, with the aim of spicing up the show with 80s-style sparks.

Alonso return to McLaren speculation will not go away

140073can.jpg

Ferrari test driver Marc Gene has played down reports that fellow Spaniard Fernando Alonso could be considering a move for away from Maranello in 2015, as speculation continues to mount regarding the future of the double world champion.

Alonso, regarded as perhaps the very best driver in Formula 1 today, has been mentioned along with fellow champions Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton as McLaren seek a truly top driver to spearhead their new Honda era, beginning next year.

Indeed, having hinted recently that Jenson Button will be re-signed, McLaren team boss Eric Boullier hinted that options remain, “It is a question where I cannot say yes and I cannot say no. We are evaluating and assessing every strategy for the future.”

Alonso’s single year at McLaren in 2007 ended more than acrimoniously, but team sources have made clear nothing would stand in the way of a reunion with Ron Dennis some eight years later.

d07hun1027.jpg

The 32-year-old has often sounded frustrated by his title-less five-year stint at Ferrari, culminating in yet another disappointing campaign for the start of the new V6 turbo era this season with a sub standard car at his disposal.

McLaren-Honda would be a fresh start and a blank canvas for Alonso’s ambition of adding a third title to his tally as he explained to the BBC, “It is something I am working for and hoping for. It is not that I’m not happy with two but the third puts you in a list of very important names.

“I think I can carry on long enough to win and to be competitive for some good years,” added Alonso. “I don’t know how many – three, five, seven. I don’t think it should be any problem.”

As far as Ferrari test driver and fellow Spaniard Marc Gene is concerned, however, Alonso is perfectly happy at Maranello.

“Si, si [yes, yes],” he told Spanish publications this week. “I think since 2010 we have seen the best of Fernando. In 2010, 2012 or this year his driving is perfect.”

“He is definitely the best driver there is right now in Formula 1; the most complete. And it’s a shame this has not been reflected in more titles – at least two. He deserved them. That said, he is happy at Ferrari; he could not be in a better place,” Gene added.

Mercedes: Silver Arrow gives you wings

Silver-Arrow-gives-you-wings.jpg

Mercedes, the dominant team of the 2014 Formula 1 season, and defending quadruple world champions Red Bull, are the turning into the sport’s absolute enemies.

After winning on Red Bull’s home soil last weekend, Mercedes released an advertising hoarding with the slogan: “Silver Arrow gives you wings”.

And, also after Sunday’s win at the Dietrich Mateschitz-owned and promoted Red Bull Ring, silver-clad personnel climbed the enormous iron bull statue in the centre of the circuit and decorated it with a huge three-pointed star necklace.

All in good fun. But less jovial have been scraps over cancelled hotel bookings, or when Mercedes lawyers urged the FIA to ban Red Bull for three races over the fuel flow saga this year.

dpl1322ma431.jpg

It is obvious that the bad feeling has affected the relationship between Red Bull and Mercedes’ respective Austrian chiefs, Helmut Marko and Toto Wolff.

Mercedes’ Wolff confirmed to the Austrian weekly News that the pair are not on speaking terms, “No, we do not [speak]. He’s just not a point of contact for me in his role and therefore there is no reason for us to talk to each other.”

Wolff stopped short of saying the pair ‘hate’ one another, “‘Hate’ would be too emotive. We are competitors on the track, that’s our job and it’s important that we obtain the greatest possible success.

“I respect the Red Bull team,” he said. “Nevertheless, life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Raikkonen: I hate it when there is no front end on the car

140027aut.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen is blatantly uncomfortable driving the troublesome Ferrari F14T, but does not blame his struggles on the complex gizmos required to maximise the performance of the new generation V6 turbo powered cars.

Speaking to the media during the Austrian GP weekend Raikkonen explained the reasons behind his problem, “It’s really about how the car handles, what I prefer and the way the tyres work. It’s a combination of that. We have a lot of work to do with the car, we are missing traction and we are missing a bit of grip on the mechanical side.”

“We try to balance it out and try to have a front end on the car, but it is very, very difficult. I hate it when there is no front end on the car,” admitted the 2007 Formula 1 World Champion.

He added, “If we sort out the front end we lose the rear and it is trying to balance it out – and somehow get it working. We have a lot of work to do before we have good things, but for sure we will get there.”

Ferrari have been relentlessly developing the F14T – which was problematic from the moment it rolled out of the garage at Jerez in late January – and to their credit are doing all they can to help Raikkonen overcome his woes, but the updates introduced for Austria did not have the desired impact.

“We tried something different since Saturday [in Austria] onward and I don’t think it made a difference in the end,” said Raikkonen.

“In certain areas it was totally missing, and it was a similar thing in Qualifying, but once we had decided to go that way we had to stick with it,” added the Finn.

Red Bull announce collaboration with Ultimate Ears

ue-boom-bluetooth-speaker-2.jpg

Infiniti Red Bull Racing is pleased to announce that it has entered into a collaboration with Ultimate Ears, which will power the music for the team’s trackside hospitality.

Ultimate Ears will also provide the team with its award-winning UE Boom wireless speaker, with two examples of the go-anywhere speaker going to Infiniti Red Bull Racing drivers Sebastian Vettel and Daniel Ricciardo. The social music player, which provides 360-degree sound, will also be given to VIP fans at each grand prix of the season.

Ultimate Ears has produced a custom-edition UE Boom speaker for the team and each will reflect the team’s signature blue and play the sound of a racing engine when turned on.

“Ultimate Ears is a great fit for Infiniti Red Bull Racing’s Formula One trackside hospitality program,” said Rory Dooley, general manager of Ultimate Ears. “The prestige of the organisation and team, paired with the world-class performance of the UE Boom was a natural match, and we’re thrilled to be providing both the music and the premier merchandise for the exclusive VIP guests, made up of celebrities and industry influencers.”

Commenting on the new collaboration, Infiniti Red Bull Racing Team Principal Christian Horner added: “We are always looking to work with companies that share the team’s ethos of doing things differently, whilst retaining a commitment to quality and excellence. We have found that in Ultimate Ears and we look forward to sharing a successful season together.”

UE Boom is known for its bold, immersive sound and go-anywhere design. The speaker has a versatile shape that easily fits in any backpack or water bottle holder. The UE Boom is wrapped in a specially developed acoustic skin that is both water and stain resistant, so you can take it anywhere without worry.

Additionally, thanks to its cylindrical shape, the UE Boom blasts bold 360-degree sound. After downloading the latest UE Boom app for iOS™ or Android™ through the App StoreSM or Google Play™, the speaker can also pair to another UE Boom for double the sound or traditional left/right stereo sound.

Rosberg wants 'special' Brit win

Nico-Rosberg-1_3162156.jpg

Although Nico Rosberg would like to add another British GP to his personal tally, he concedes that next weekend's race is "all about the team."
Rosberg will head to Silverstone for round nine of the Championship with a healthy 29-point lead over team-mate Lewis Hamilton.
He extended his advantage at the last race in Austria where he claimed his third win of this season ahead of Hamilton.
"The last race weekend in Austria was not an easy one for us overall, so I was delighted to come away with the win and even more so for the team to have both cars at the front when we crossed the line," Rosberg said.
"The atmosphere at the circuit was really great and, being so close to Germany, it almost felt like a home race for me."
The next race on the calendar, though, is undoubtedly a home race for Rosberg's Brackley-based Formula 1 team.
Last season the German claimed the victory at the Northamptonshire track in what was a chaotic race weekend with several drivers, including his own team-mate Hamilton, suffering tyre failures.
He added: "Silverstone is another special one for me, as I managed to win there last season. It was actually very close to my birthday and I had a really cool experience after the race.
"There's usually a fan festival with rock bands and all sorts after the track action finishes, which is something I go to almost every year.
"This time, I was up on stage doing a quick interview and the whole crowd started singing Happy Birthday to me, which was very cool! The British fans are absolutely fantastic.
"So I enjoy going to Silverstone personally, but really this one is all about the team.
"For the hundreds of people at Brackley and Brixworth it's a home race and many of them will be there with their families and friends across the weekend.
"I want to put on a good show and get the best result possible out of it for them after all their hard work this season."

Mansell: All credit to Mercedes

nigel-mansell-lewis-hamilton-british-f1_

Nigel Mansell has praised Mercedes for allow Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton to race each other, saying it is "fantastic" for F1.
At a time when Mercedes are dominating the sport, well ahead of the chasing pack, the Brackley team has given their drivers free reign to fight it out.
That has resulted in several close battles and finishes, adding to the excitement of the season.
And although the situation between the two drivers is undoubtedly tense of late, aside from a bit of a fall-out in Monaco, Mercedes have avoid all-out war.
"The great thing is when you're with a fabulous manufacturer like Mercedes, who undoubtedly have got the best engine bar none this year, and the way the team's being managed with Niki Lauda's input there - and that is outstanding - I think there'll be very little if anything going on like that," Mansell told Sky Sports Online.
"If anything's going on then obviously it's between the immediate engineers of the drivers and the drivers themselves, and that can be managed to a large degree.
"But you've got to take your hat off to the Mercedes team as a whole and the manufacturer because they are giving the drivers equal equipment, they are giving the sport's fans and Formula 1 what they want - which is outright racing.
"Both Nico and Lewis are gung-ho with their racing and racing like crazy together. It's fantastic for them, fantastic for the sport.
"Mercedes don't have to do that and so all credit to Mercedes for how they're dealing with this situation and long may it continue."
  • Like 1

Smedley downplays dropped points

dms1406ju905_3161999.jpg

Rob Smedley has refuted suggestions that Williams have lost points throughout this year's Championship through poor tactics.
Last time out in Austria, the Grove team brought in their biggest points haul of this season as Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa finished third and fourth.
The duo netted 27 points, however, having started on the front row of the grid there were some questions about whether poor tactics had cost the team vital points.
Smedley, though, says those expectations of more have been created outside the team.
"I'm not always fully in agreement that we haven't [taken the points we should have]," he told Crash.net.
"I think it was my first ever press conference, in Bahrain, when it was suggested that we were not getting all the points we should have been getting. But, if you look at the pace of the car, yes we've dropped some points, but I don't think we've dropped any more points than other people.
"I think that's something that has built up some momentum outside of the team, rather than inside the team, so I don't think [Austria's result] was any more or less important than it ever is.
"We come thinking, if there's 27 points on the table, we want them. There's not always 27 points on the table for us, looking at it realistically, but [in Austria] there was and we went and got them. It was important - but it's always important."
The team's head of vehicle performance, who joined Williams from Ferrari, is now looking forward to the British GP, confident that in the FW36 and its Mercedes engine, Williams have a car capable of fighting for solid points.
"We have a very efficient car, with a lower drag level compared to our competitors, and [Austria] is quite an 'efficient' circuit, so that's a circuit that suits us with less drag. There's also a high power sensitivity there, so if we've got a powerful engine, that suits us as well. I don't think there's any magic...
"At Silverstone, the downforce sensitivity is a lot higher than [Austria] so, for every point of downforce you're missing against your competitors, that's more heavily penalised at Silverstone.
"he drag sensitivity is high at Silverstone, and power sensitivity is high, but I don't think there is anywhere we should fear, or be scared of circuits or circumstances. We can go everywhere and be positive. Some places will suit us more than others, but we shouldn't be scared of anywhere."

Lauda: F1 penalty system a joke

Niki-Lauda_3165269.jpg

Niki Lauda has applauded a decision for F1 race stewards to take a step back, adamant that drivers should be "free to race."
Earlier this month, Autosport reported that the FIA would be taking a step back when it came to on-track incidents.
Instead of investigating and handing out penalties for every incident, they would instead only deal with the big ones.
The decision has been welcomed by triple World Champion Lauda, who feels drivers should be allowed to race each other without fear of punishment.
"Honestly, it is a joke," the Austrian told The Mirror. "The public leaves us because we are not racers any more.
"The Perez and Massa incident was a normal one. Thank God nothing happened, but I would leave it at this.
"Then in Austria there was another investigation into the Vettel-Gutierrez incident. It was all wrong.
"It has to be stopped. If, after the race, somebody wants to protest because of it being unfair, fine, he should do it. It costs a lot of money, a lot of lawyers and a lot of bulls**t. So this will not happen.
"I would let these drivers be free to race. There is too much control of everything.
"What I do not like is when I watch a race like Montreal, Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton are close in the first corner and then it says on the television that they are under investigation."
The 65-year-old added that he had spoken with both FIA race director Charlie Whiting and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone about the matter.
"I went to Charlie and Bernie and said we need to bring the old days back, like when Nelson Piquet hit the other guy [Eliseo Salazar] in Hockenheim.
"You should leave it to the drivers. Don't interfere in all this. Interfering takes the interest away. Charlie agrees with it and they are going to do less and less and less on this."

THE BIG PREVIEW: BRITISH GRAND PRIX

d13gbr1087.jpg

Round nine of the 2014 FIA Formula One World Championship sees the majority of teams faced with a short trip to their local race – the British Grand Prix at Silverstone. Silverstone sets a different challenge to the circuits that have seen action so far this season, its defining characteristic being high-speed changes of direction that will severely test 2014’s reduced downforce specification.
There is more, however, to the modern Silverstone than just its fast corners. The Arena layout, introduced in 2010, has subtly changed the nature of the circuit. Drivers were slow to appreciate the changes but today the infield section has acquired many fans, with the variety of lines through Turns Three and Four creating more overtaking opportunities leading into the first DRS zone on the Wellington Straight.
After three races in a row with the Soft and Super-soft compounds, Pirelli this weekend have gone to the other end of the scale with the Hard and Medium tyres as the succession of medium and high-speed corners puts huge amounts of energy through the rubber. Something else to factor in when considering those corners is the fact that Silverstone is not especially demanding on the brakes. With drivers braking for only around eight per cent of the long lap, recovering the maximum allowed amount of energy through the MGU-K every lap will prove difficult, as was the case with KERS.
Mercedes have pulled a long way clear in the Constructors’ Championship but a battle royal rages between drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg. Rosberg leads by 29 points but, with 11 races to go, Hamilton is far from an underdog. He has four victories to Rosberg’s three and has been unfortunate to suffer both of Mercedes’ DNF’s this season. The Briton will be highly motivated to begin closing the gap at his home race.
d13gbr828.jpg
Top three on the podium after the 2013 British Grand Prix

Silverstone Circuit Data

• Length of lap 5.891 km.
  • Lap record 1:33.401 (Mark Webber, Red Bull Racing, 2013).
  • Start line/finish line offset 134 m.
  • Total number of race laps 52
  • Total race distance 306.198 km
  • Pitlane speed limits 80km/h in Practice, Qualifying and Race
  • Artificial grass has been removed from the exits of Turns Five, Eight and Nine.
  • The wall to the driver’s left before Turn Six has been extended.
  • Drainage has been improved in a number of places around the circuit..
  • There will be two DRS zones at Silverstone. The detection point of the first is 25 m before Turn Three, with the activation point 30 m after Turn Five. The second detection point is at Turn 11 with the activation point 55 m after Turn 14.

giuseppe-farina.jpg

Giuseppe Farina won the 1950 British Grand Prix driving an Alfa Romeo 158/50

British Grand Prix Fast Facts

• The British Grand Prix is one of two ever-present races on the Formula One World Championship calendar. The other race featuring every year since 1950 is the Italian Grand Prix.
  • Three venues have hosted the British Grand Prix during the World Championship era. Silverstone shared the early races with Aintree, which held races in 1955, ’57, ’59 and 1961-2. Aintree was replaced by Brands Hatch, which held the British Grand Prix in even years between 1964-1986. Silverstone has hosted all of the other races.
  • 2014 marks the 48th running of the Formula One World Championship British Grand Prix at Silverstone. The circuit, however, is celebrating it’s 50th race, having hosted pre World Championship grands prix in 1948 and 1949. Both of those races were won by Maserati, courtesy of drivers Luigi Villoresi and Baron Emmanuel ‘Toulo’ de Graffenried respectively. Giuseppe ‘Nino’ Farina won the inaugural world championship race in 1950. Before Silverstone, a British Grand Prix was held at the Brooklands circuit in 1926 and 1927.
  • Silverstone is situated in an area known as ‘Motorsport Valley’. Eight of the 11 F1 teams are clustered within 125 km of the track. In order of distance they are McLaren (125 km), Williams (65 km), Caterham (59 km), Lotus (40 km), Red Bull (33 km), Marussia (24 km) and Mercedes (13 km), with Force India based a few hundred metres from the front gates of the circuit. Additionally, Mercedes High Performance Powertrains’ manufacturing facility is based 33 km from the circuit and Toro Rosso’s wind tunnel is located 23 km away.
  • Mercedes have dominated 2014 with seven victories and seven poles from the eight races so far. Neither driver, however, has shown dominant form at Silverstone in the past. In Nico Rosberg’s eight races he has been out qualified by his various team-mates five times. Lewis Hamilton has been out qualified by his team-mates three times in seven attempts. As team-mates in 2013 Mercedes locked out the front row with Hamilton on pole – but Rosberg won the race after Hamilton suffered a tyre failure. Jim Clark (1962, ’63, ’64, ’65, ’67) and Alain Prost (1983, ’85, ’89, ’90, ’93) share top billing at the British Grand Prix with five victories each. One behind them is this weekend’s driver steward Nigel Mansell who won in 1986, ’87, ’91 and ’92. Mansell did, however claim five victories on home soil, winning the 1985 European Grand Prix at Brands Hatch a year before winning the British Grand Prix at the same circuit. Mansell is one of only two drivers to have won differently titled grands prix at the same circuit (Nelson Piquet won the 1980 Italian and 1981 San Marino Grands Prix at Imola.)
  • Austria marked Mercedes’ sixth one-two finish of the eight races so far this season. McLaren hold the record with 10, set in 1988 by Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna.
91GBR29.jpg
Silverstone has been the scene of some of the Formula 1′s most memorable moments

British Grand Prix Race Stewards

• Dr Gerd Ennser has successfully combined his formal education in law with his passion for motor racing. While still active as a racing driver he began helping out with the management of his local motor sport club and since 2006 has been a permanent steward at every round of Germany’s DTM championship. Since 2010 he has also been a Formula One steward. Dr Ennser, who has worked as a judge, a prosecutor, and in the legal department of an automotive-industry company, has also acted as a member of the steering committee of German motor sport body, the DMSB, since spring 2010, where he is responsible for automobile sport. In addition, Dr Ennser is a board member of the South Bavaria Section of ADAC, Germany’s biggest auto club.
  • As the son of former McLaren Team Principal Teddy Mayer, Tim Mayer grew up around motor sport. He organised IndyCar races internationally from 1992-98, aided the construction of several circuits, and produced international TV for multiple series. In 1998 he became CART’s Senior VP for Racing Operations. He also became VP of ACCUS, the US ASN. In 2003, Mayer became COO of IMSA, operating multiple series at all levels, and also took on the role of COO and Race Director of the American Le Mans Series. He was elected an independent Director of ACCUS and FIA US Alternate Delegate, responsible for US World Championship events.
  • From 187 grand prix starts Mansell took 32 pole positions, 31 victories and 28 other podium finishes. He raced for Team Lotus, Williams, Ferrari and McLaren, winning the FIA Formula One World Champion in 1992 with Williams. The following season Mansell took a sabbatical from F1, racing in the CART championship. He become the first rookie to win that title and the only man to hold the Formula One and CART titles simultaneously. Mansell is a four-time winner of the British Grand Prix, with three of those victories coming at Silverstone.

dne1208jy360.jpg

Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button are local heroes

Reuters British Grand Prix Facts & Stats

• Mercedes have won all but one race so far this season. The exception was Canada, won by Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo.
  • Red Bull’s quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel has 39 career wins, Fernando Alonso 32, Lewis Hamilton 26, Kimi Raikkonen 20 and Jenson Button 15. Championship leader Nico Rosberg has six.
  • Rosberg’s win in Austria meant his career tally of wins now exceeds that of his father Keke, the 1982 champion.
  • Ferrari have won 221 races, McLaren 182, Williams 114 and Red Bull 47.
  • McLaren have not won for 27 races, a run that dates back to Brazil 2012.
  • Ferrari’s last victory was in Spain in May 2013 – the last time a team other than Mercedes or Red Bull won.
  • Brazilian Felipe Massa’s pole for Williams in Austria ended Mercedes’ run of seven in a row. It was also the first time since Brazil in November 2012 that a team other than Mercedes or Red Bull had started on pole.
  • Hamilton (Australia / Malaysia / China / Spain) and Rosberg (Bahrain / Monaco / Canada) had previously started every race on pole.
  • Vettel took nine poles last year, and now has 45 for his F1 career.
  • Hamilton now has 35 poles, more than any other British driver in the history of Formula One.
  • Ferrari’s last pole position was in Germany with Fernando Alonso in 2012.
  • Caterham, who came into the sport in 2010, are the only team on the grid who have yet to score a point.
  • Ferrari have finished a record 75 successive races with at least one car in the points, a run that dates back to the 2010 German Grand Prix.
  • Toro Rosso’s Daniil Kvyat is Formula One’s youngest point scorer aged 19 years and 324 days.
  • Silverstone hosted the first race in the Formula One World Championship in 1950, two years after putting on a grand prix for the first time.
  • Pole has not been a significant advantage, historically. Only four times in the last 19 races has the quickest driver in Qualifying gone on to win, but every winner has started from fourth or higher since 2000.
  • The race has never been won by anyone starting outside the top 10.
  • The last British winner was Hamilton in 2008.
  • McLaren’s Jenson Button, the most experienced driver on the starting grid, has never stood on the podium at his home race.
  • Ferrari have won 16 times in Britain, McLaren 14 and Williams 10.
  • Five current drivers have won at Silverstone: Rosberg, Hamilton, Alonso (twice), Vettel and Raikkonen.
  • Massa will be starting his 200th grand prix.
  • Ricciardo turned 25 on Tuesday, July 1.
  • Silverstone is celebrating its 50th Grand Prix this weekend (but 48th in the world championship)

d13gbr865.jpg

Fans at the 2013 British Grand Prix

FIA press conference schedule
Williams’ Valtteri Bottas, fresh from his breakthrough Formula One podium in Austria, will be among the six drivers who will take part in the official FIA press conference at Silverstone on Thursday. The British trio of McLaren’s Jenson Button, Marussia’s Max Chilton and Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton – a winner on home soil in 2008 – will also be present.
On Friday it is the turn of senior personnel – including Red Bull’s Adrian Newey and Gerry Hughes of Caterham – to answer questions from the press. The line-ups in full…
Thursday, July 3, 1500 hours local time (1400 GMT)
Valtteri Bottas (Williams), Jenson Button (McLaren), Max Chilton (Marussia), Lewis Hamiton (Mercedes), Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso), Felipe Massa (Williams)
Friday, July 4, 1600 hours local time (1500 GMT)
Gerry Hughes (Caterham), James Key (Toro Rosso), Jonathan Neale (McLaren), Adrian Newey (Red Bull), Pat Symonds (Williams), Rob White (Renault Sport)
The Qualifying and post-race press conferences with the top three drivers will take place immediately after the respective sessions.

KOLLES ADVISED CONSORTIUM BUY CATERHAM FROM FERNANDES

12234134726_0008ea3b28_o.jpg

Malaysian aviation entrepreneur Tony Fernandes ended an unhappy Formula One adventure on Wednesday by selling his struggling Caterham team to a group of Swiss and Middle Eastern investors with former driver Christijan Albers at the helm.
The team announced in a statement ahead of Sunday’s British Grand Prix that they would continue to race as Caterham, from their existing factory at Leafield in central England, for the immediate future.
Dutch retired driver Albers, who competed in 46 grands prix with tail-end teams between 2005 and 2007, will take over the day-to-day running of the team with the assistance of Manfredi Ravetto.
Albers replaces the departing Cyril Abiteboul, who was appointed principal by Fernandes at the end of 2012 when the AirAsia boss decided to step back and focus on other business interests.
Caterham said that Romanian-born Colin Kolles, who was Albers’ principal when the Dutchman drove for the Midland / Spyker team that became Force India, has been advising the consortium.
d07usa310.jpg
The sale ended a costly and ultimately failed foray into motor racing for Fernandes, whose main sporting interests have increasingly become focused on his Premier League soccer side Queens Park Rangers.
Fernandes has been noticeable by his absence from racetracks this year and he heralded the end of his involvement when he closed down his Twitter account last week with the words “F1 hasn’t worked”.
He entered Formula One in 2010 with Lotus Racing, one of three new teams that had been encouraged to join by then FIA president Max Mosley with the promise of a budget cap to level the playing field.
The budget cap never happened and success was also elusive for Fernandes, whose team changed name to Team Lotus after a legal dispute with the carmaker of the same name failed, forcing the name change to Caterham.
In four and a half seasons they have failed to score a single point, making them the only team on the current grid still in that predicament, this season has seen the car no more competitive.
Marussia, who came in as Virgin Racing at the same time and finished 10th and ahead of Caterham in the championship last year, picked up two points in Monaco in May.
d12sin1071.jpg
Fernandes had warned before the season started that he was losing patience and would walk away without clear signs of improvement and his decision to sell shows that that was no empty threat.
He had also been critical of F1′s failure to introduce the sweeping cost-cutting measures that smaller teams have called for, and the lack of progress at a recent meeting would not have helped.
In January, after announcing Japan’s Kamui Kobayashi and Sweden’s Marcus Ericsson as his drivers, he said F1 was too predictable, too expensive and not exciting enough with insufficient chances for underdogs to surprise.
Kolles, who most recently ran the now-defunct Spanish-owned HRT team, is an expert at keeping small teams afloat against the odds, while Albers spent his F1 career at minnows Minardi, Midland and then Spyker between 2005 and 2007. Ravetto was previously at HRT with Kolles.
“We are aware of the huge challenge ahead of us given the fight at the bottom end of the championship and our target now is to aim for 10th place in the 2014 championship,” Albers said in the statement.
“We are very committed to the future of the team and we will ensure that the team has the necessary resources to develop and grow and achieve everything it is capable of.”

BUTTON: SOMETIMES YOU NEED A CHANGE

L4R6525.jpg

Jenson Button believes that change will be good for McLaren and is looking forward to the team’s new Honda era, despite team supremo Ron Dennis’ warning that the most experienced driver in the paddock actually might not get a new contract beyond 2014.
Dennis told Sky, “Do I want him [button] to try harder? Of course I do. He’s a highly paid grand prix driver, and yes, we’re not giving him the best car, but he could do his bit, and Kevin’s got to make it as difficult for him as possible.”
But 34-year-old Briton Button, who will wear a pink helmet this weekend in memory of his late father John’s ever-present pink shirt, thinks that the arrival of Honda for 2015 is what McLaren need as they try to emerge from a two-season slump.
“Everyone is looking forward to it,” he told DPA news agency. “A lot is already going on. Ron is again in charge, Eric [boullier] is on board now. In the past, a lot of things were working well, but sometimes you need a change. I feel we are on the right track.”
R6T4153.jpg
Dennis said that the arrival this year of rookie Kevin Magnussen had given Button a “wake-up call”, and even the British driver admits the that young Dane has been impressive.
“Kevin is learning very quickly,” said Button. “He did not have much experience when he arrived, but within six months he has made up for a lot of that.
“We are not best friends,” Button reveals. “I have never been great friends with a teammate – I have my own friends. But he’s a good guy and I like working with him.”
However, Button insists that Magnussen is not the biggest challenge of his career, instead nominating Lewis Hamilton as his fastest-ever Formula 1 teammate.
“On pace, yes. [Hamilton] is very fast, but I expected that when I came to the team. If you have beaten Lewis, you know you’ve had a good day,” he said.

ECCLESTONE: I AM READY FOR F1 WITH EIGHT TEAMS OF THREE CARS EACH

attachment_95844.jpg

Despite speculation of doom and gloom surrounding Caterham’s future, Formula 1 Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone is unmoved and is advocating three car teams for the ‘pinnacle’ of motor sport.
He told an Austrian newspaper last week that he would be happy if struggling and complaining small teams succumb to their money troubles.
More recently Ecclestone told La Gazzetta dello Sport, “If you can’t afford to be in this game, you should not be here. If they don’t have the money, they should close.”
“I am ready for a Formula 1 with eight teams and three cars each. Is it better to see a third Ferrari or a Caterham? Ferrari might find new sponsors in America and an American driver. Great,” declared Ecclestone.
100064eve-001.jpg
Bernie Ecclestone horsing around…and making a point
Adding that a strong Ferrari team will help with Formula 1′s problems, such as a dwindling television audience, arguing that Caterham will “never” be competitive.
“If Ferrari started to end up first and second in Qualifying and races, then television ratings would improve everywhere. Ferrari is a worldwide passion,” he said.
Since then, Caterham founder Tony Fernandes has conceded on Twitter that his Formula 1 project “didn’t work”, and the team has reportedly been sold along with its reported €20 million in debt, but 83-year-old Ecclestone is unmoved about the small teams’ plight.

RICCIARDO: A SHAME THAT I HAVE COME IN WHEN THE TEAM IS NOT DOMINATING

Daniel+Ricciardo+Red+Bull+Open+House+Go+

Daniel Ricciardo is a product of the highly regarded but notoriously tough Red Bull motorsport ladder, through the minor leagues he made his way to the very top in Formula 1 with the energy drinks outfit and his performances since his arrival in the cockpit of the world champion team has been nothing short of sensational, but the likable Australian laments the timing of his rise.
Speaking at a karting event to celebrate his birthday ahead of the British Grand Prix, Ricciardo told media, “It’s a shame I have come in when the team is not dominating but we are still able to get good results, so I’m not down.”
He mused, “From the team perspective, we would love to be more competitive, but that’s how it is. You can’t dominate forever.”
Perhaps the biggest surprise of the season is the decline in Sebastian Vettel’s performances, the quadruple world champion has struggled to come to grips with the new V6 turbo technology, while his teammate Ricciardo has flourished and more often than not he has been the one to take the fight to the dominant Mercedes team.
493595009_MT_6455_8145B55EE8C126B341B2DC
Daniel Ricciardo’s victory in Canada is likely to be the first of many
Even Ricciardo has been taken by the manner in which he has dealt with Vettel so far this season.
“I’ve got the better of him both in Qualifying and the race, which has been surprising,” said the big smiling Aussie. “I came into the season knowing what I had around me and if I could use it all, I could challenge Seb.”
“Did I think it would be 6-2 in qualifying and I would be leading him in the championship? Probably not. It’s been reassuring. I’ve always believed in my ability but to go out and do it does a lot for your confidence. To get two podiums and a win, I can’t complain,” said Ricciardo.
Heading to Silverstone with an under-powered car, Ricciardo is nevertheless optimistic, “If we can get our car working as it should, I think that Silverstone can be good for us. If we can get our stuff together, we can be a solid second-based team (to Mercedes).”
Speaking about the track where he made his grand prix debut in 2011 with HRT, funded by Red Bull, he said, “Silverstone is great. It’s just a great, great racing circuit. It’s fast, it’s flowing and you really get to rag your car for all it’s worth. There’s nowhere better at letting you know how very, very good an F1 car is than Silverstone, and in particular through that ultra-fast Maggots-Becketts-Chapel complex.”
d11gbr550.jpg
Daniel Ricciardo made his F1 race debut at the 2011 British Grand Prix weekend
“The more I drive it, the more I also enjoy the new section because it creates more chances for overtaking and it’s not as straightforward as it looks. I’m looking forward to my first race with Red Bull this year at Silverstone, I know a lot of the guys are going to be watching at the track so I’ll be going at it for a good result,” promised Ricciardo.
Hot topic of late has been the introduction of standing re-starts which are due to come into effect next season. Ricciardo made it clear that he is not a fan of the concept.
“I don’t like the idea of standing re-starts. If you’re leading by 20 seconds, you lose it when a safety car comes out which is firstly a big disadvantage,” he explained.
“And then by putting in a standing re-start, anything could happen – not just an accident but a poor start when you drop from first to fourth because you’re using tyres which could be very old. It’s the same for everyone, but it seems harsh on the leader,” ventured Ricciardo.
On a lighter note the good natured Aussie revealed how serious things can really get in the Red Bull pen, “They [mechanics] play jokes on me. On Sunday mornings, I get in the car and I do a few things in the cockpit. I have to take my shoes off to get in the car. But they glued my shoes together on the floor. I put my feet in the shoes, went to walk off, and nearly face planted. But I’ll get them back, I’m just being patient.”

MURRAY WALKER: VERY, VERY DIFFICULT FOR HAMILTON TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIP

Murray+Walker+FILE+Profile+Murray+Walker

Nico Rosberg has put himself in top position to beat his high-profile teammate Lewis Hamilton to the 2014 1 World Championship according to Murray Walker, the legendary Formula 1 commentator, ahead of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
Walker, arguably the most famous voice in Formula 1 history, thinks that Hamilton and Rosberg’s respective personalities do set them apart as they battle in 2014.
“I don’t think it is unfair to say that Hamilton is a lot more emotional about it and that can affect his driving,” the 90-year-old told the Daily Mail.
“The more he is beaten by Rosberg, the more it could hypothetically hurt him emotionally, and that brings about more pressure,” ventured Walker.
“In a nutshell it is going to be very, very difficult for Hamilton to win the championship because Rosberg is a thinking driver. Hamilton is faster but I don’t think he is cleverer than Rosberg,” said Walker.
Lewis+Hamilton+F1+Grand+Prix+Austria+Pra
Niki Lauda, a triple world champion and the team chairman at Mercedes, thinks that Hamilton’s home race comes at “the perfect time”, after his three-race losing streak to the on-form Rosberg.
“He has his home race and fans and he needs to make up ground to Nico,” the great Austrian told The Mirror.
But Lauda admits that Hamilton’s task is a tough one, given his 29-point points deficit to Rosberg, “Unfortunately it is. No question.”
Worse still, after Hamilton suspected in Monaco that Rosberg made a deliberate ‘error’ to keep pole position, the latest conspiracy theory is that Mercedes’ pit crew gave Hamilton deliberately slow service in Austria.
“In the race you cannot get paranoid,” Lauda insisted. “I don’t need to coach him. I’ve known him a long time and he’s absolutely perfect in his head. He’s highly motivated.”