FORMULA 1 - 2014

Martin Brundle: Formula 1 pay driver spread 'uncomfortable'

martin-brundle_23631731.jpg

Formula 1 racer turned commentator Martin Brundle believes the spread of pay drivers in the world championship is becoming "uncomfortable".

There has been concern over teams ever further up the grid requiring funded drivers for 2014, with Pastor Maldonado's Venezuelan sponsorship key to his deal with Lotus, where he replaces Ferrari-bound Kimi Raikkonen.

Brundle said on the AUTOSPORT Stage with KX during AUTOSPORT International 2014 that the situation was more complicated than it appeared, but was definitely a worry.

"The main problem is that they've got to stop it being so expensive to run the cars, so it stops the need for all this cash," he said.

"When a team like Lotus, the only one to really challenge Red Bull consistently last year, is short of money then something is fundamentally wrong.

"One way or another, the racing's got to be paid for. Whether it's with Santander following [Fernando] Alonso around, or Vodafone when they had [Lewis] Hamilton and [Jenson] Button for the British market, somewhere it's got to be paid for.

"You can't go racing on fresh air and there's not enough coming in from the organisation.

"There's no doubt that the pay drivers are creeping their way up the grid. But they're still great racing drivers. Don't think anybody who's paid to be there is not a high-level racing driver."

He emphasised that the pay driver tag could be deceptive.

"The balance is getting dangerously close to the pay drivers dominating," said Brundle.

"But it's an awful expression. It's a label that you just can't get rid of. Niki Lauda makes the point that he had to borrow money to pay for his early drives in Formula 1.

"I promised Ken Tyrrell £150,000 I just didn't have in 1984. I was just winging it. And eventually he said to me 'I know you don't have the money but I want you to drive for me anyway'.

"One way or another, you have to facilitate the money, so let's not get too hung up about it.

"But it's disappointing when you see a driver like Paul di Resta getting booted out of F1 when you know that others are in because they're bringing cash.

"That's the bit I'm getting uncomfortable with."

Brundle also believes that F1 needs to put more money into ensuring that the most talented drivers come through the junior series.

"The money doesn't find its way back into grass roots - or at least nowhere near enough of it," he said

"Somewhere like Wimbledon does put a very significant number of millions each year back into the system."

VIDEO: FANS QUIZ BRUNDLE AND SURTEES AT AUTOSPORT INTERNATIONAL

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

Adrian Sutil under no pressure to emulate Nico Hulkenberg at Sauber

adrian-sutil-021913.jpg

Adrian Sutil insists that he feels no pressure to emulate predecessor Nico Hulkenberg's Sauber achievements as they swap places for the 2014 Formula 1 season.

Hulkenberg is returning to Force India this year after a single campaign with Sauber, while Sutil moves in the opposite direction.

After a quiet start, Hulkenberg was one of the sensations of late 2013, producing a string of spectacular underdog performances for Sauber.

Asked on the AUTOSPORT Stage with KX whether Hulkenberg's form was a source of pressure, Sutil said it was not on his mind.

"Sure, he did a good job," the German told the AUTOSPORT International audience, "but I don't see that as pressure.

"You always get pressure your whole life if you want to achieve anything. I want to have competition, I like it."

Sutil said moving to Sauber had been good for him after spending his whole F1 career so far with what is now Force India.

He joined the team as a test driver when it was known as Midland in 2006, then raced for it from 2007-11 and again in '13, bridging its Spyker period into the Force India era.

"I think this new team is a very good challenge for me," said Sutil.

"It's a new step and I needed it after so long with the same team.

"There are a lot of benefits: it's close to my home in Switzerland, I can speak German there, and it's got one of the best windtunnels, so there's a lot of potential."

SAD FOR DI RESTA

1389544129.jpg

Force India has changed both its drivers for 2014, with Sergio Perez moving from McLaren to join Hulkenberg.

While Sutil was able to secure a Sauber seat, his team-mate Paul di Resta looks unlikely to remain in F1.

"He's a strong driver and I enjoyed working with him so it's a shame he's not there but there's how quickly it can go," said Sutil.

"Nevertheless, he's still a young driver and there could be a chance for him in Formula 1 again if he can find his way."

FIA moves to improve marshal safety in Formula 1

1383838299.jpg

The FIA has moved to avoid a repeat of the kind of accident that led to the death of Formula 1 marshal Mark Robinson at the 2013 Canadian Grand Prix.

F1 safety delegate Charlie Whiting, speaking while giving the annual Watkins Lecture run by the Motorsport Safety Fund at AUTOSPORT International on Friday, revealed that advice will be given to race organisers to improve marshal safety.

Robinson died after tripping and falling under the wheels of a mobile crane while the Sauber of Esteban Gutierrez was recovered after the finish of the 2013 Canadian GP, with Quebec's commission for the healthy and safety of workers blaming a series of safety errors.

Key to the accident was the fact that Robinson and a colleague were moving directly in front of the mobile crane holding tethers that were stabilising the car while it was being craned back to the pits.

"The accident in Canada was dreadfully unfortunate," said Whiting. "Things will change in that respect.

"Since that accident, we have briefed everyone to, if you are using one of those JCB-like vehicles to lift a car, you should never walk in front of it. It kind of stands to reason.

"The Brazilian ASN has a system which will attach two ropes to the car to hold it level [while being recovered] and it stops it twisting so you don't need people to stabilise it.

"We are trying to make everyone aware of this sort of system in order to minimise the amount of people needed to recover a car. That is the key to it."

Whiting highlighted the fact that Canada is not unique in having had marshals moving in front of a mobile crane, citing the 2013 Korean GP as just one example of such circumstances.

It is hoped that as a result of Robinson's death, organisers take steps to avoiding putting marshals in the position where they could have a similar accident.

"When you look at Korea when they recovered Mark Webber's car [after it caught fire after being collected by Adrian Sutil's Force India], you can see the tractor coming and there are four marshals in front of it.

"And they are running, which is ridiculous really."

Jenson Button’s father John dies of suspected heart attack

d09bra1615-640x427.jpg

Jenson Button celebrates with father John during his championship year in 2009

John Button, father of 2009 Formula 1 world champion Jenson and a popular presence in the Formula One paddock, has died of a suspected heart attack aged 70.

The McLaren driver’s agent said in a statement that the body was found at home in the south of France by a friend on Sunday.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh mourned a “unique and…irreplaceable part of the McLaren family” while drivers and bosses paid fond tributes to the Briton.

“In my long Formula One career, I’ve encountered many drivers’ fathers, but I think it’s safe to say that John was perhaps more devoted to his son than any of them,” said Whitmarsh.

teh0406my26-640x441.jpg

Jenson Button with his father John Button in 1998

“Ever since Jenson was a boy, racing go-karts, his dad has been at his side, helping him, supporting him, finding the money for the next race.

“As Jenson grew older, and continued to win in cars, still John was always there, his most steadfast helper and supporter.”

Button senior enjoyed a successful career of his own in rallycross before devoting himself to his son’s career, also preparing go-karts for others including Lewis Hamilton, who went on to become 2008 world champion and a McLaren team mate.

d10tur202-640x427.jpg

In Formula 1, he attended almost all of Button’s 249 races and could usually be found in the team hospitality, happy to stay in the background with a glass of wine close to hand while supplying a steady stream of entertaining motor racing tales.

“Without Dad, I probably would never have got into motorsport,” Button said in an autobiography ghost-written after his 2000 debut season with Williams.

“Throughout those early years he was the one standing out there in the rain while I was on the track having all the fun.”

Marussia: Absolutely no concerns at all that the entry won’t be confirmed

Marussia_4694_HiRes-640x427.jpg

Marussia plan to attend the first pre-season Formula 1 test in Spain this month and have no concerns about their championship entry being listed as provisional, sporting director Graeme Lowdon said on Monday.

The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) issued an entry list on Friday with asterisks against Lotus and back-markers Marussia denoting that they were subject to confirmation.

No further information was given, and the FIA declined to provide details, although the usual reason would be because entry fees have yet to be paid.

Lowdon, whose team finished 10th of 11 last season and have the smallest budget of all, indicated the matter would be resolved shortly.

“We’re just finalising administrative details with the FIA and we have absolutely no concerns at all that the entry won’t be confirmed,” he told Reuters.

d13ita311-640x427.jpg

The basic entry fee for 2014, as laid out in the sporting regulations, is $508,000 which was supposed to have been paid by November last year.

Teams must also pay $5,080 per point scored in the 2013 constructors’ championship – none in Marussia’s case but an additional $1.6 million for fourth-placed Lotus who scored 315 points.

The rules say applications at other times will be considered if a place is available and on payment of a late entry fee to be fixed by the governing body. The season starts in Australia on March 16.

Lotus, who have had financial difficulties despite challenging for wins last season, have said their car will not be ready for the first test in Jerez starting on Jan. 28 but there was no cause for concern.

“Everything is fine here,” principal Eric Boullier said last week. “Lotus will be on the grid this year and for a long time.”

dcd1330ju52-640x424.jpg

Max Chilton and Jules Bianchi remain with Marussia for 2014

The Frenchman told the BBC he knew for a fact that Lotus would not be the only team to miss Jerez but no others have said so far that they too will be absent.

Sauber driver Adrian Sutil, whose Swiss-based team were short of cash last year, told Reuters he would be in Jerez while last-placed Caterham have yet to name their drivers but plan to reveal the new car on the first day of testing.

Lowdon said Marussia, who completed their line-up at the weekend when they announced British pay driver Max Chilton would be staying alongside Ferrari bank-rolled Frenchman Jules Bianchi, were working hard to be in southern Spain as well.

“It’s the little things that start making a difference now but we’re certainly planning to be there,” he said.

The first test is a big one for Formula One this year, with a major change of regulations and teams running a new turbocharged V6 engine on the track for the first time after saying farewell to the old V8 units.

What’s in store for Formula 1 as the second turbo era looms?

851024-640x425.jpg

The turbo on Michele Alboreto’s Ferrari 156/85 blows up in the pits during the 1985 British GP at Brands Hatch – turbo failures at the time were dramatic

First, a question: who was the last F1 driver to win a World Championship Grand Prix in a turbo-charged car? (answer at end). ;)

Second, a history lesson: turbo-charged engines went out at the end of the 1988 season, when McLaren used Honda power to make Ayrton Senna the World Champion for the the great Brazilian’s time and to claim the Constructors’ Championship on what was the fourth occasion in the team’s history to that date.

Obviously that means that none of the current drivers have any experience of racing in F1 with turbo-charged engines, which are the new norm for 2014.

The Energy Recovery Systems, a huge step up from the KERS we had come to know, will deploy twice the power and have 10 times the capacity of the previous technology, allowing the driver to call on an extra 120 kilowatts of power for more than half a minute on every racing lap.

Renault-turbo-F1-engine-640x424.jpg

Renault F1 turbo engine for 2014

Through the 64-year history of the World Championship a total of 12 engine suppliers have powered the title-winning drivers. But in 2014 only three companies will be supplying engines to the sport’s 11 teams: Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault.

Of those, only Ferrari and Renault have previous F1 experience with turbo-charging – Mercedes retired from the sport way back in 1955 and returned only in 2010, well into the V8 normally aspirated era which began in 2006.

Third, today’s vocabulary practice: back in the late Eighties all the talk was of turbos, boost, wastegates and throttle lag, each of which was responsible at various times for team and driver frustrations as they all got to grips with the technology of the time.

Turbo/engine failure was perhaps the most common reason given for retirements.

86gbr04-640x424.jpg

Jacques Laffite suffers a turbo engine failure during the 1986 British GP

As the great Alain Prost has said, “You have to say that the turbo engine years generated interest in F1: everyone was interested in this new technical challenge. It was also a bit of an emotional journey, insofar as huge developments were expected at each race.”

Will we see the same hair-tearing at the start of 2014 when the radical new F1 comes to Melbourne? Probably not – the issues raised by the technology a quarter of a century ago have been largely by-passed.

On the other hand, there is a new generation of complex technology to be mastered: two turbos at work to provide the ‘boost’ in engine power which is the technology’s whole raison d’être.

tne1107ja04-640x428.jpg

The Honda RA168-E V6 turbo engine fitted to the 1988 McLaren MP4/4.

Boost – pressurizing the engine to more than its nominal cylindrical capacity – also equates to fuel use, and fuel flow is one of the central elements of the new power-train technology in F1. It’s limited to 100 kilogrammes of racing fuel per hour, and the total fuel allowed is 100 kilos per grand prix. The fuel flow limit puts a check on the amount of boost that can be used.

We don’t have wastegates any more, either: they were escape exits for excess energy back in the day. Nowadays the turbo will have a second electric motor attached to it to convert that excess energy into instantly usable electricity.

That in turn means that throttle lag shouldn’t be a problem, as it used to be, with drivers desperately waiting for what old-timers like Derek Warwick used to call that ‘kick in the back’ that propelled the cars forward at breakneck speeds.

mercedes-turbo-engine-640x424.jpg

Mercedes V6 turbo F1 engine

But how well will the three engine-suppliers succeed in recuperating energy, storing it and deploying it effectively?

Many expert analysts believe that, following the bullet-proof reliability of engines we have come to expect in recent years, engines will not only make the difference but may also be the weakest link in the chain of components that contribute to a grand prix car’s performance.

“It’s a return to an era when the driver will need to be strategic and very calculating in how he uses his racing car,” adds Prost.

“Being quick will no longer be enough on its own: you’ll need to be quick and sensitive.” And that should suit a certain young German down to the ground…

Ferrari have now contested a staggering 870 grands prix, winning an equally amazing 222 of them. But there were only two wins for the Scuderia in 2013 – both for Fernando Alonso, and there has been some fairly loud sabre-rattling from Di Montezemolo ahead of the new F1 era. The Italian marque will supply not only the scarlet cars of the Scuderia, but also those of Sauber and Marussia.

82rsa15-640x424.jpg

Gilles Villeneuve turbo powreed Ferrari 126C2 during the 1982 South African GP

Mercedes will cater for four teams: the works cars, of course, plus McLaren, Force India and Williams. Teams like Sir Frank’s will be desperately hoping that wholesale changes level the playing-field and allow the independents like Williams back into the race, so to say.

Renault, meanwhile, brings a brilliant record of success in the last two decades – 12 Constructors’ titles and 11 Drivers’ titles between 1992 and 2013 – to their pursuit of continued glory in the new era. Can four straight titles with Red Bull become five with the new power trains?

tm0117au05-640x424.jpg

Alain Prost drives to victory at the 1988 Australian GP – the final F1 victory for a turbo powered car at the end of the first turbo era

With so much change in the offing, any degree of continuity can only be a positive. That’s why Mercedes looks such an attractive bet: the only team with the same drivers as it had in 2013, both Rosberg and Hamilton operating at a high level, and a genuine ambition to build on last year’s runners-up status.

But if you can’t make up your mind, hang fire for another year. In 2015 Honda will return yet again to F1, where they bridged the end of the turbo era and the return to normally aspirated engines with five straight title wins from 1987 through 1991. You can bet that they’re coming back intending to win…

The sport’s last turbo charged winner was Alain Prost, winner of the 1988 Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide driving a McLaren Honda.

Williams strengthens engineering team for 2014 season

G7C3334-640x434.jpg

The Williams F1 Team has expanded its engineering team as part of its on-going work to strengthen the technical leadership structure at Williams ahead of the 2014 Formula One World Championship season.

As part of this process, Jakob Andreasen has joined as Head of Engineering Operations and will work under Chief Technical Officer Pat Symonds. Previously at Force India, Jakob’s focus will be on better integrating trackside operations with the continued design and development of the Williams-Mercedes FW36 at the factory.

Jakob is supported by two further appointments in Craig Wilson, Head of Vehicle Dynamics, and Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer. Craig returns to Williams from Mercedes to strengthen the engineering team in applying vehicle modelling and analysis to help bring further improvements to on-track performance. Rod joins from the Lotus F1 Team to head up the team’s testing programme including leading the group at the factory that provide support and analysis from Grove over all race events.

Reporting directly to Jakob, Max Nightingale is promoted to Head of Vehicle Science to ensure a focus on performance within the new structure which will improve the connection between race operations and on-going development work.

Pat Symonds, Williams F1 Team Chief Technical Officer, said; “Williams is determined to make strong improvements in our competitiveness over the coming seasons and these new appointments continue our aggressive approach in recruiting some of the sport’s best talent. We are also committed to allowing our existing talent to grow and showcase their skills in senior leadership roles. Our engineering team for the coming season is looking strong and I’m excited about what we can achieve moving forwards.”

Williams FW36 will be at Jerez test for Massa and Bottas

Williams_F1-logo-2.jpg

Williams have confirmed that they will be in action at Jerez when 2014 Formula 1 season testing begins on 28 January in Southern Spain.

Williams announced on Twitter, “We’ll be on track in Jerez in just over two weeks… and everyone is looking forward to getting going now!”

The team will have Valterri Bottas and new signing Felipe Massa on duty in the FW36, which is currently in the final stages of being built, according to the Grove based team.

“Things are starting to get busy now as we enter FW36 car build week!” added Williams.

2014 Formula 1 cars to have anteater style nosecone

http://youtu.be/9jSTNd6Mqqs

Front nose solutions for the 2014 regulations could leave Formula 1 cars resembling anteaters, claims authoritative magazine Autosprint.

The report published an image apparently originating from the mandatory FIA crash test undergone recently by Caterham’s new car.

It depicts an impression of the 2014 nose on the so-called ‘control plate’ after the impact, confirming some observers’ fears that the likely solutions are aesthetically questionable.

“Notice how the nose is considerably narrower (than in 2013), for aerodynamic reasons.

“When the noses could be higher, they could be wider as they channelled air under the chassis. But a wide nose would now be a disturbance to the air flow,” correspondent Alberto Antonini explained.

Antonini said that it is likely thatmost teams will adopt similar ‘anteater’-like solutions. Video animation by Giorgio Piola.

Liuzzi wins Massa’s karting event in Brazil

massa-event-640x423.jpg

Former F1 driver Vitantonio Liuzzi was the winner of Felipe Massa’s ‘Desafio das Estrelas‘ charity karting event in Brazil this past weekend

Desafio das Estrelas – translates to the Challenge of the Stars – took place at Beto Carrero World in Santa Catarina and included the likes of Rubens Barrichello, Nelson Piquet Jr and Sebastien Buemi and of course Massa himself.

It was Liuzzi who dominated from the first session, topping the timing sheets in all practice sessions and taking pole position in qualifying.

The Italian won the final race by six seconds, from Red Bull reserve Sebastien Buemi, with host Massa taking third.

Desafio das Estrelas Results:

1. Vitantonio Liuzzi, 29 laps

2. Sebastien Buemi, -6.021

3. Felipe Massa, -10.601

4. Julio Campos, -11.484

5. Antonio Pizonia, -11.584

6. Daniel Serra, -11.829

7. Nelsinho Piquet, -13.733

8. Felipe Nasr, -19.970

9. Valdeno Brito, -30.533

10. Pietro Fittipaldi, -31.465

11. Beto Monteiro, -31.548

12. Luciano Burti, -32.081

13. JP Oliveira, -32.237

14. Luiz Razia, -32.366

15. Bruno Senna, -32.541

16. Popó Bueno, -37.213

17. Ricardo Zonta, -38.601

18. Felipe Giaffone, -1 lap

19. Rubens Barrichello, -3 laps

20. Lucas di Grassi, -8 laps

Schumacher’s condition remains unchanged

schumi-fans-640x424.jpg

Injured Michael Schumacher’s medical condition remains unchanged, the German newspaper Bildreports.

Almost a week ago, the seven time world champion’s wife Corinna urged the media to go easy on the struggling family, as Schumacher – whose coma has now entered a third week – lies in a critical condition after a skiing fall late last year.

Since Corinna’s plea, neither the 45-year-old former Formula 1 driver’s management, nor the Grenoble hospital, have issued any official updates about his condition.

But Bild cited hospital sources as it reported that the great German remains in a stable yet critical condition, with his health having “not changed since the last statement [from] the doctors”.

The widely-circulated newspaper said that Schumacher is, however, undergoing new brain scans, as the risk of renewed bleeding and infections remains high.

“The doctors want to see which areas of the brain are damaged and which are functional,” Bildexplained.

“It is not clear when new official information about his health is expected, but it could take weeks, or even months,” correspondents Nicola Pohl and Thomas Sulzer added.

Meanwhile, Jean Alesi criticised another former Formula 1 driver, Philippe Streiff, for divulging information about Schumacher’s condition to the media recently.

Streiff visited the hospital in Grenoble and controversially revealed afterwards that Schumacher’s “life is not in danger any more”.

“I was very disappointed and upset to see the French driver who did a press conference talking about Michael Schumacher,” fellow Frenchman Alesi told RMC Sport.

“We must respect his family and leave them alone, and especially the doctors [should be left] to do their work,” he added.

Lotus E22 delays may be down to legality of new car

dcd1118fe95-640x427.jpg

The signals from Lotus – who only have a conditional entry on the FIA 2014 Formula 1 entry list – is that the team has been forced to delay the roll out of their 2014 car due to having pushed the rules a tad too far.

The team has announced that it will not be at the season opening test, giving rise to speculation that financial woes continue to plague the team despite the arrival of ‘pay driver’ Pastor Maldonado.

But Omnicorse speculates that the problem may simply be the fact that the legality of the Enstone team’s nose solution for its 2014 car – the E22 – may have been rejected by the FIA.

Further, Finnish broadcaster MTV3 suggests that the missing link could be the dotted line on a new Renault engine deal for the black and gold liveried team.

At any rate, Lotus continues to work hard on its 2014 car, with the team’s official Twitter account revealing a teaser preview of the E22.

“Seeing is believing,” the Twitter message read last week. “Hello E22, and oh how you’re growing.”

Lotus team boss Eric Boullier insists that there is no cause for concern.

“Everything is fine here,” he told the BBC. “Lotus will be on the grid this year and for a long time.”

Paffet: McLaren never fully understood MP4-28 problems

dcd1411ja26-640x427.jpg

McLaren came to the end of the last season without fully understanding where it went so wrong with their 2013 Formula 1 car.

The Woking based team’s main test driver Gary Paffett, has admitted as much while revealing that he has been testing the all-new 2014-specification MP4-29 in the simulator.

“We certainly feel it is a bit of a fresh start for everybody and we are pushing very hard to make sure we get on top of it from the start [of the 2014 season],” he told the British broadcaster Sky.

Uncharacteristically for the great British team, McLaren finished last season a distant fifth in the Constructors’ World Championship, having dramatically erred with the design of the MP4-28.

But with the rules changing so radically for 2014, the team decided to design its next car with a clean slate, rather than try to rectify every problem with the 2013 car, Paffett explained.

He admitted that McLaren engineers do not even know why the MP4-28 was so bad.

“I think if we had fully identified [the problem] we would have been a lot more competitive at the end of [2013],” he said. ”I think [that] the problem was [that] some of the areas were too big to fix during the season.”

With Lotus having pulled out of the forthcoming first winter test at Jerez, the media’s attention has now turned to whether other high-profile teams will also be missing in action as the crucial 2014 pre-season begins.

Paffett said that McLaren is right on track.

“Yes, I’ve seen the car in the workshop, they are working hard and the car will be in Jerez,” he said.

“It is going to plan but I think just understanding the (V6) powertrain and how it all works is going to be the first target which isn’t going to be too easy I don’t think.”

Raikkonen back at Ferrari – first picture

raik-ferr-2014-470x297.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen was back at Ferrari for the first time this week following his return to the team.

Raikkonen told Ferrari’s website “it’s good to be back at work”. “I began by getting used to all the new systems and procedures that we will use this year.”

“From this point of view, the simulator is really very useful. It’s true there’s lots to do, but the workload is not much different to what it was in the past. For me, these days in Maranello are also an opportunity to be with the team and spend a bit more time with my many friends here.”

Raikkonen will use the number seven on his car this year, the same as he had last year at Lotus.

“There’s no particular story linked to it,” he said. “It’s the number I already had last year and I saw no reason to change it. I like it which is good enough isn’t it?”

Mercedes downplays fears of chaos during Formula 1 testing

1389611542.jpg

Mercedes motorsport chief Toto Wolff has played down fears of Formula 1 testing chaos with new cars struggling to complete laps early on, but accepts there will be an unusual build-up to the campaign.

F1 teams are in the final stages of getting their 2014 cars ready for the first test at Jerez in Spain, which starts on January 28.

With senior figures braced for a tough time, due to the complexity of the new car and engine regulations, there has even been talk of a reliability bloodbath because of the incredible technical challenge.

But Wolff is much calmer about the situation, and believes that Jerez will be much less chaotic that some are predicting.

"I don't think that it is going to be a bloodbath with cars not being on track and breaking down," Wolff told AUTOSPORT.

"But it is not going to be the usual testing, when you have an evolution of technical regulations and we are going to do 100 laps per day.

"It is probably going to be something in the middle. But this is part of a new development that you need to run to find out what the problems are. This is why we are going testing."

The difficulty of getting cars ready in time means only a few outfits have so far confirmed that they will be testing in Jerez, although all except for Lotus currently expect to be there.

The extreme change in rules has prompted talk that perhaps the new regulations were perhaps a step too far, although Wolff is not convinced.

"It is just a huge challenge with competition among the engineers - and this is an essential part of F1," he said.

"F1 has always been successful and has become the number one motorsport brand because it is about the innovation and competition among racing drivers and also the teams. Competition also comes with innovation.

1389611598.jpg

"What we are getting next year is just 'wow'! One third more fuel efficiency and trying to maintain the level of performance, plus trying to fit all of that under the skin of a racing car.

"Cooling is an issue. Managing fuel efficiency is going to be key and at the same time having less aerodynamic downforce. Wow! It is good."

Wolff also thinks that as well as the hard work being done now, one of the keys to success in 2014 will be in reacting quickly to what become the best strategies and approaches to race weekends.

"Of course there will be lessons to be learned for the racing and for strategies," he said. "Whoever is going to do it quicker and anticipate things quicker is going to be there."

Valsecchi: My salary was like that of a waiter, but Lotus hasn’t paid me yet

107197-640x424.jpg

As fears about Lotus’ well being mount, their 2013 reserve driver Davide Valsecchi has revealed he has not yet been paid by the Enstone based team, as he looks set to sever ties with them.

As reigning GP2 champion, 26-year-old Italian Valsecchi served last year as Lotus’ reserve driver, but he admitted last week he is now likely to exit.

“After a 2013 season in which I travelled a lot but did not get on the track, I want to go back to wearing overalls and a helmet,” he had said.

When Lotus overlooked him late last season as Kimi Raikkonen’s replacement in favour of Heikki Kovalainen, Valsecchi admitted that the decision made him “angry”.

ded1318jy147-640x424.jpg

“I thought that, in their choice, my willpower would prevail over a driver like the Finn, who is at the end of his career,” he told the Italian website Formula 1passion.it this week.

Valsecchi admits that he is likely to leave Formula 1 because powerful pay-drivers “such as the Mexicans or Venezuelans” have priced drivers like him out of the market.

“I don’t conceal my desire to get into Indycar,” he said.

In the meantime, there are real fears among Lotus’ fans about financial the health of the Enstone based team.

Although highly competitive, the black and gold liveried outfit finished last season amid headlines about its elusive Quantum buy-in deal, and now Lotus has been only conditionally listed on the 2014 entry list.

The very latest news is that team CEO Patrick Louis has resigned.

d13brn1503-640x423.jpg

It is believed that Lotus, having lost Finn Kimi Raikkonen to Ferrari because he wasn’t paid, is struggling to raise its more than $2 million FIA entry fee for 2014.

Now, Valsecchi has admitted the team has failed even to pay his small 2013 salary.

“According to my contract my salary was like that of a waiter,” he revealed. “They haven’t paid me yet. I’m sure that as soon as they’ll be in a position to do so, they’ll solve their debt.”

Valsecchi said the Kovalainen affair made him angry and “bitter”, but he trusts Lotus to eventually pay, saying that “the team has always behaved well towards me”.

“I’m very grateful to Lotus for having chosen me as third driver, without asking anything in return. I can’t complain,” he said.

“Try to look for a job as third driver without paying a single euro! We’re talking about a team that could sell a seat for at least two or three million euros.”

Alonso says drivers must always obey team orders

100052ger-640x427.jpg

Fernando Alonso with Felipe Massa after the 2010 German GP

Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso says drivers are obliged to follow team orders when they are commanded from the pit gantry.

Alonso was asked by a young journalist if “you have ever received a team order you did not responded to?”

Alonso replied, “No. Normally when the team says something you must obey, because they have all the information and [they] know what’s going on.”

“You can ask them on the radio why you have to do something [which they have requested] to try and understand the order, but you must always obey,” added the Spaniard.

Famously at the 2010 German GP Alonso’s teammate at the time, Felipe Massa, was informed by his engineer, “Fernando is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?”

This was a thinly veiled team order for Massa to allow Alonso to get past, which the Brazilian did much to his consternation.

In 2014 Kimi Raikkonen rejoins Ferrari as teammate to Alonso.

MIKA: It will be interesting to see which one out of Alonso or Kimi will be given an order and who will follow it... ;)

Ferrari not ditching pullrod front suspension layout for 2014

dcd1301no15-640x427.jpg

Reports that Ferrari has ditched its innovative pullrod front suspension layout for their 2014 car were apparently wide of the mark.

In late November, Autosprint reported that the Maranello team had “almost certainly” decided to revert to the more conventional pushrod for its new V6-powered car, used by every other team except struggling McLaren in 2013.

Indeed, jjust last week, the authoritative Formula 1 technical illustrator, Giorgio Piola, agreed that his sources also said that Ferrari – third in last year’s Constructors’ Championship – would not have pullrod suspension this year.

“Usually the information from Giorgio Piola is bulletproof,” said Tobias Gruner, correspondent for Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport. ”But even the best-connected experts are apparently also sometimes fed false information.”

Meanwhile Ferrari said on Monday that returnee Kimi Raikkonen will be at the wheel of the 2014 car in the new simulator at Maranello over three days this week.

Raikkonen also revealed his lukewarm reasoning for picking ‘lucky’ number 7 for his new, permanent race number.

“It’s the number I already had last year and I saw no reason to change it,” he said. “I like it, which is good enough, isn’t it?”

Wolff: No testing bloodbath

Toto-Wolff_2954116.jpg

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff admits there will be teething problems during pre-season testing this year, but he has dismissed suggestions of a possible "bloodbath".

With new regulations coming into effect at the start of the 2014 campaign, teams, drivers, engineers and just about everyone else will have plenty to learn during testing.

The first winter test gets underway at Jerez, Spain, on January 28 and many believe quite a few teams will struggle on the opening few days as they come to grips with the rules.

However, Wolff feels talk that a lot of cars will break down is over the top.

"I don't think that it is going to be a bloodbath with cars not being on track and breaking down," he told Autosport. "But it is not going to be the usual testing, when you have an evolution of technical regulations and we are going to do 100 laps per day.

"It is probably going to be something in the middle. But this is part of a new development that you need to run to find out what the problems are. This is why we are going testing."

Lotus have already decided to skip the first test as they look to spend more time working on their new car in the factory and they have suggested several other teams could follow.

Wolff, though, says everyone will eventually come to grips with the new regulations.

"It is just a huge challenge with competition among the engineers - and this is an essential part of F1," he said.

"F1 has always been successful and has become the number one motorsport brand because it is about the innovation and competition among racing drivers and also the teams. Competition also comes with innovation.

"What we are getting next year is just 'wow'! One third more fuel efficiency and trying to maintain the level of performance, plus trying to fit all of that under the skin of a racing car.

"Cooling is an issue. Managing fuel efficiency is going to be key and at the same time having less aerodynamic downforce. Wow! It is good."

Six Key Points To Watch Out For In The New Look Formula 1 - 2014 Season:

PostDefault.jpg

The controversial new rule for 2014 awarding double points for the last race is likely to have unintended consequences, like influencing the way that the smaller teams in F1 design the cars. This is one of six key points to look out for in 2014, according to Formula 1 technical adviser Mark Gillan.

“The smaller teams could well completely change their design process in an attempt to secure these points, as it could make a significant difference to their constructor’s position. If I were running operations for one of the smaller teams I would definitely do it,” said Gillan, former head of track operations for Toyota and Williams.

As the last three places in the table are separated by just a few points there is a clear gain to be had from developing the optimum package for the car around the Abu Dhabi circuit, which could make or break a season.

Teams are due to meet the FIA next week to finalise cost controls and other rules voted through by the F1 commission last December. Although the double points rule has proved a real turn-off for fans, many commentators and even senior figures like Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, it is not clear how much of an airing it will get in the January meeting as the cost control discussion looks set to take priority. If the double points finale remains for this year, the smaller teams will have to react. (NB – Promoters of some other Grands Prix are unhappy about Abu Dhabi appearing more important than their race)

Whereas in the past teams might place resources into on a specific Monza package, for example, which would give them a strong performance on the one-off low downforce track, now the double points on offer at the final race make it a priority.

But teams have to be very crafty about how they plan their aerodynamic development this year.

With a significant reduction in the amount of wind tunnel and CFD time that teams are allowed to do, the development process is going to change this year. With radical new rules the need to react is going to be greater than ever, but the ability to do so it less than ever, because even the top teams can only have their wind tunnels and CFD computers working a maximum of 30 hours a week.

The reduction is a cost saving measure which is likely to save millions, not least in electricity costs from running these 4/5 megawatt tunnels for less time. It is also making the leading teams feel more inclined to share their tunnels- or lease them out at least – with other smaller teams, thereby raising some additional income.

The cost control measures, such as the wind tunnel restriction, are now in the FIA Sporting Regulations, which means that they are FIA regulated and therefore policeable, not subject to a FOTA gentleman’s agreement. Hopefully this will open the door for further cost controls under FIA control which should lead to more sustainable costs and teams surviving.

With the elimination of straight line aerodynamic testing, the four two day tests and especially the Friday practice sessions at Grands Prix are going to be crucial for aero development work and this could be a decisive factor in doing well this year.

Screen-Shot-2014-01-14-at-14.29.05.png

Artists impression of 2014 F1 car (Ferrari) designed to new rules (in Gazzetta dello Sport)

Weight is still an issue: Despite lobbying from drivers, the teams failed to agree on raising the minimum weight at the end of last year. This means that there is a real penalty for running a heavier driver. Many teams are struggling to make a car at the minimum weight limit and to run overweight means being uncompetitive.

“With these very complex new cars, teams will want to run a lot of instrumentation, to measure things,” says Gillan. “And this adds weight. If you also have a heavy driver, then you can’t afford to have the instrumentation.”

Fuel flow: is another new factor that will be well worth watching for. Teams have to cover a 300km race with one third less fuel. This has given rise to fears that F1 will become an “economy run” with engines turned down and drivers running slowly to save fuel. The reduction in fuel is in line with the reduction in cylinders (8 to 6) and capacity (2.4l to 1.6l)

Crucial to this is the fuel flow sensor, which is an FIA part common to all cars. There has been pressure on the supplier to make this part reliable and there could be some chaotic races if the sensor encounters problems on some of the cars.

There has been debate about how many teams will be in Jerez from January 28-31, following Lotus’ announcement that they will miss the first test. Lotus boss Eric Boullier has said that he is certain a number of others will also be forced to miss the test. For Gillan, missing Jerez is a much bigger penalty than in previous years.

“You have to be there (Jerez),” he says.” The racing this year is going to be dominated by reliability, at least for the first part of the year, the power train is very complicated. There are a lot of new operations to control and some very difficult cooling decisions. If you lose track time early on where those decisions get made you lose ground. These engineers will be operating well outside their comfort zone at the start of 2014 with all this new technology. It was easy with the old V8 normally aspirate engine, but developing a cooling system for a turbo engine is a big job and with quite a few hot races early on you need to be on track for as much of the testing time as possible. Missing a test in 2014 is MUCH more of a problem than in previous years.”

There are believed to be some great innovations on radiators on the new F1 cars, with a huge amount of research into making bigger radiators with finer internal tubing to allow for optimum packaging.

As a short-cut guide, here are the six key points to watch out for in 2014:

1) The power unit change – much more road manufacturer-relevant going from 2.4 V8 60kW KERS boosts (for 6secs/lap) KERS to 1.6 V6 turbo with 120kW ERS boosts (for 33sec/lap). Convergence with Le Mans engine technology. Turbocharged unit revving at a max 15,000rpm through a new 8 speed gearbox (with fixed ratios for the season). Only one exhaust tailpipe exit allowed. No more exhaust blowing the diffuser. Cooling could be a major issue.

2) Resource restriction into Sporting Regulations – new limits on the Wind Tunnel/CFD (30 hrs wind on time/CFD Teraflops/wk, 80 runs/wk, 60hrs occupancy/wk )and no aero test day allocation – Friday practice at GPs will be even more aero test biased.

3) New penalty structure for power train use over a season. Now max 5 units per year instead of 8 – reliability will be key.

4) Car weight increase from 642kg to 690kg. It is likely that Teams will struggle to hit this target – ballast for weight distribution, additional electronics (for e.g. tyre monitoring) may then become punitive to run in terms of weight. Penalty for heavier drivers.

5) 100kg fuel mass limit usage during the race with max fuel mass flow of 100kg/h above 10500rpm, which is down from approximately 150kg in 2013. The mass flow sensor is now the most important sensor on the car – reliability of this sensor is paramount.

6) Double points for final race of the season – smaller teams will completely change their design process in an attempt to secure these points as it could make a significant difference to their constructors’ position.

Jerez won't reveal competitive order - Hulkenberg

nico-hulkenberg-force-india-2012.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg is hoping Force India can take advantage of the major regulation changes for 2014 and come out near the top.

However the German concedes that the order remains a complete mystery, more so than ever before during a pre-season, simply because everyone is starting from scratch.

"At the moment, nobody knows how this season and the new cars are going to be," he said on Tuesday.

He's not even sure whether the first pre-season test in Jerez will reveal any answers, especially as reliability, particularly surrounding the new V6 engines, is expected to cause a few upsets.

"There are a lot of questions which we can't really answer until we have been on the track, running - not even the first race will be the absolute truth teller.

There will be a lot of data we need to look at and analyse, work with it to go forward. "Never before there has been a situation like this, when with just a couple of weeks before the first test nobody has any idea of where everyone is," he added.

The levelled-playing field does present the opportunity for one or a few teams to steal a march on their rivals, but Hulkenberg warned it can also work in the opposite direction.

"It's a pretty unique situation for everyone," he said.

"It's a challenge, an opportunity to do something special, but on the other hand it opens up the opportunity to do mistakes, so we will need to do our work well."

Felipe Massa Q&A: First few days at Williams

felipe-massa-0987654-williams.JPG

Q. How was your Christmas?

Felipe Massa: Christmas was great, it was nice to be with the family and I spent it at home in Brazil. I then went to Miami for New Year which was a lot of fun. I was then back in Brazil for the start of the New Year, and most recently had my annual International Challenge of the Stars charity karting event there. It is always a lot of fun and attracts a lot of other F1 drivers, so it’s certainly got me in the competitive mood.

Q. What training have you done over the winter and when did the focus on 2014 start?

FM: Even in the holidays I was training, it never really stops. I was in Miami for 11 days and did something every day. I like sport so I am always active, whether it’s tennis or going for a run. Now the work turns to testing which means more time in the gym. I prefer playing sports to work in the gym, but the time in the gym needs to be done. I have a dedicated trainer who goes to each race with me and he will be coming over to Williams this year. We have been working together since 2007 so we have a very good working relationship. I also have another trainer for when I am back in Brazil.

Q. With the new regulations coming into effect, which of the them excites you and how will it make the racing more exciting?

FM: There are so many changes for this year but everyone is in the same boat. Until we are in the car we don’t know what we need to learn and what we don’t, things like how to feather the throttle with the big increase in torque, and how the new stronger ERS will affect driving. Aerodynamically the cars will have less downforce than 2013, especially in the first half the season. These are big changes which we need to understand as quickly as possible when we start testing.

Q. What are your first impressions of the team?

FM: Williams have a great factory here with good resources so I know that we have everything we need to be competitive. It’s a big team with a great history, so the focus is on getting all the pieces working well together and moving in the right direction. I have been steadily trying to meet as many people across the factory as possible and everyone has been very nice and I’m enjoying working with my engineering team.

Q. You are here at the factory for two days, what will you be doing in that time?

FM: First of all is the seat fitting and getting the right position in the car. I don’t normally require too many seat fits throughout the year, but obviously going to a new team means we need to start from the beginning to make sure I am comfortable which can take a bit of time. Then I have a lot of meetings across different departments to get us ready for the first test in Jerez and start providing my input.

Q. Williams have always had good support from Brazil, what has the reaction been amongst your fans?

FM: My fans are very happy that I have moved to Williams, especially with the history the team has in Brazil with past drivers such as Nelson and Ayrton. This has made the team very famous in Brazil, so I am very happy to be here and I hope I can help the team get back to where they were before and fighting for wins.

Q. How is your relationship with Frank Williams?

FM: Frank is one of the most famous people in the paddock and someone that is admired by everyone for what he has achieved in the sport. He is part of the history of Formula One. I didn’t know him too well before I joined the team but from spending time with him he is a really nice guy and I’m looking forward to racing for him.

Vettel explains why he chose the number five

octane2013-09-06-vettel-rb9-italy-monza-fp2.jpg

Sebastian Vettel has revealed the reason behind choosing the number five as his permanent driver number for his Formula 1 career.

Whilst he won't carry it throughout 2014, as he's chosen to use the number one - which is available only to the current champion - he says the number has some special meaning behind it as well as being influenced by some of his idols.

"I have decided for number five because I drove it successfully in karting in 2001 and got my first title with it in 2010," he told Bild.

"Furthermore there were some other drivers who became champion with this number; I'm thinking of Michael Schumacher and Nigel Mansell."

Just two drivers are yet to confirm their chosen numbers because Caterham has yet to announce its line-up. Max Chilton confirmed on Monday that he'll use the number four.

Frijns set for Friday FP1 role with Caterham

ddr1319ap218-640x424.jpg

Highly rated Robin Frijns appears set to secure a role in the Formula 1 paddock for 2014.

The only remaining vacancies on next year’s grid are at Caterham, but the green-coloured team looks set to sign former Sauber driver Kamui Kobayashi, and Swedish rookie Marcus Ericsson.

That would be bad news for Caterham’s existing race drivers Giedo van der Garde and Charles Pic, who in that scenario would be locked out of Formula 1 for now.

For Dutchman Frijns, however, Caterham could be his Formula 1 lifeline, after the highly-rated 23-year-old lost his reserve seat at Sauber last year amid the Swiss team’s financial troubles.

The Dutch newspaper Dagblad de Limburger reports that Frijns has “almost certainly” secured the Caterham race seat for 2014.

The report cited sources “close to the team and the driver”, confirming that the deal is “almost complete”.

With his reserve role, Frijns will reportedly get 16 guaranteed days at the wheel of Caterham’s 2014 car — eight on Friday mornings and eight additional test days.

Dagblad de Limburger added that Frijns’ debut will be at Jerez later this month, followed by more running in Bahrain ahead of the start of the 2014 season.

Frijns would not confirm the news.

“We are working on options for 2014, and of course Formula 1 is a part of this,” he is quoted by Speed Week.

Ferrari to reveal 2014 car next week after fans pick the name

140006_new-640x424.jpg

Ferrari have confirmed that it will launch its 2014 car on 25 January, but before then fans will pick the car’s name – the 2013 car was the Ferrari F138.

The team announced on their website: “For the first time in the history of Scuderia Ferrari, the name of the car that Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen will drive as they aim for victory in this year’s Formula 1 championship will be chosen by fans from around the world.”

I reported last week that the Italian team would have its new car ready for a Jerez debut, with an official launch date set for Maranello a few days earlier.

Indeed Ferrari said it will reveal its car on the internet with a series of exclusive photos on 25 January along with Alonso and Raikkonen’s public re-introduction, a day after the official 2014 car name is announced.

Before then, fans can vote for the name in an online poll, with the five options being F14T, F14 Maranello, Formula 14 Scuderia, F166 Turbo and F616.

Vote here>>>

Ferrari added: “Not only can fans make their mark on the Scuderia’s 2014 adventure, but again through the website and social media networks, they can also put questions to Team Principal Stefano Domenicali and the two race drivers, using the hash tags #askStefano, #askAlo, #Kimi. The protagonists will answer the most interesting and stimulating questions in a video which will also go out on Saturday 25 January.”