FORMULA 1 - 2014

RED BULL SHOULD GET RACE BAN FOR CHEATING SAYS FORCE INDIA

vettel-2312.jpg

Red Bull’s illegal front wing in Abu Dhabi may have been grounds for a race ban, claims Andy Green, the technical boss of Force India, who thinks a team with a lower status in pitlane might have been punished very harshly by the governing FIA for a similar infraction.
After qualifying for the 2014 finale last Saturday, stewards disqualified both Sebastian Vettel and Daniel Ricciardo when their wing was found to be overly flexible.
But Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport claims it was not just the degree of flex that alarmed the FIA, but the fact that the wing was designed specifically to control the bending by way of a strip with built-in springs.
Designer Adrian Newey, however, insisted: “With other cars it was even worse — Williams for example.”
Williams denied its Abu Dhabi wings were illegal. Force India’s technical boss Green, meanwhile, suggested that Red Bull had been pinged in a case of clear rule-breaking.
“If this had happened to us, we would have been excluded like BAR in 2005 with its hidden fuel tanks. But Red Bull only had to start from the pitlane. It was a less severe penalty for illegal wings than Lotus had for Romain Grosjean’s legal engine change,” he added.
On Twitter during the Abu Dhabi weekend, Force India supremo Vijay Mallya described Red Bull as “cheats”.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

NO ENGINE DISCOUNT FOR SMALL F1 TEAMS

20131004-750x497.jpg

The Formula 1 Commission this week failed to act on the issue of the sport’s struggling small teams, with Autosprint reporting the Geneva meeting as a “fiasco”, as 29 items were on the agenda “but only six were actually discussed”.
It added: “The idea to give the customer teams a discount on the supply of their engines was rejected.
“Bernie Ecclestone was ready to make a contribution if the biggest teams also did, but instead the ‘status quo’ was maintained,” said Autosprint.

VERGNE SAYS HE IS A VICTIM OF CIRCUMSTANCES

Jean-Eric-Vergne-F1-Grand-Prix-Singapore

Ousted Toro Rosso driver Jean-Eric Vergne believes he was a contender to replace Ferrari-bound Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull, but fate was not on his side.
But the Frenchman, who has instead been dropped from the energy drink company’s Formula 1 roster altogether, explained that circumstances simply conspired against him in 2014.
When Mark Webber retired at the end of 2013, 24-year-old Vergne was disappointed to lose out on the seat to his Toro Rosso teammate Daniel Ricciardo.
A similar story unfolded this year: when Vettel made his shock decision to go to Ferrari for 2015, Red Bull once again chose Vergne’s Toro Rosso teammate – now the Russian rookie Daniil Kvyat – as the successor.
Vergne, who now appears likely to rescue his Formula 1 career with the Williams reserve role next year, told the French broadcaster Canal Plus: “What really didn’t help me is that Red Bull had no idea that Vettel was going to go.
“They had had to sign and announce (Max) Verstappen very quickly, so obviously they were going to replace him with the older driver, because it made no sense to replace Kvyat after just half a season at Toro Rosso,” he explained.
“Although the people at Red Bull had told me that if Vettel left the team it would be me who would replace him, I think it was difficult to reverse a decision that was made in August when they said I would not be with Toro Rosso or Red Bull in 2015.
“But at that time they had no idea that Vettel was going,” Vergne added.

Kimi not surprised by Vettel visit

Sebastian-Vettel-and-Kimi-Raikkonen_3215

Having spent a day in the same garage as new team-mate Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen has hailed the German's approach to his work.
Still under contract with Red Bull Racing, Vettel was not permitted to take part in the post-season test at the Yas Marina circuit.
That, though, didn't stop him from visiting with his new team.
Vettel spent part of Tuesday in the Ferrari garage, getting to know the team while 2015 team-mate Raikkonen put in the laps out on track.
"It was nice that he joined us in the garage for the first day of testing," said Raikkonen, "although I have to say that didn't surprise me, because I know what he's like and his approach to work.
"I think we can enjoy ourselves on track together, both of us fighting to be ahead of the other, while also working as a team to reach the common target of progressing in order to get the Scuderia back to the level it should be at."
As for the test, Raikkonen ran several new components for next season which he hopes will play a role in helping Ferrari claw back some ground against the front-running Mercedes team.
"The components we tested in Abu Dhabi have produced a lot of useful data, which can now be analaysed along with that from Sunday's grand prix.
"The team's priorities are clear and we are well aware what are the areas that did not match up to our expectations. I am sure that thanks to the knowledge we acquired over the course of the season, we will be able to develop a more competitive car.
"Clearly, how much progress we make depends on the time available and the possibilities presented by the regulations, which for the moment, impose certain limits for everyone, but I have every confidence in the ability of the team."

Horner: Nothing will change in 2015

Christian-Horner_3234543.jpg

Christian Horner fears Formula 1 could be in for more of the same next year as the sport gears up for another season of Mercedes domination.
With the best package in the field, powered by the best engine, Mercedes set the pace in 2014.
Claiming 16 of 19 grand prix wins - 11 of which were 1-2 results - the Brackley team also started all but one race from pole position.
With the numbers firmly in their favour, the team wrapped up the Constructors' Championship in Russia before Lewis Hamilton won the Drivers' title in Abu Dhabi.
Rivals had hoped that a call to unfreeze engine development would allow them to catch up over the winter, however, with Mercedes putting the brakes on that,, Horner says 2015 will again belong to Mercedes.
He conceded: "Nothing's going to change for next year, but we [the sport] can't afford to not get 2016 right.
"We're not writing off next year but for sure the gap that there is, and from what we hear the performance gains that Mercedes are bringing next year, it's going to be a massive challenge to reduce that.
"If you believe the numbers that are floating around the gap could grow rather than diminish, so that would be rather depressing if that were the case!"
The Red Bull boss, though, is refusing to be all doom and gloom, saying there is a possibility that Renault - and even Ferrari - could marginally close the gap.
He added: "They can make an inroad but I think it would be unlikely to match this year's engine. I think we can get closer to it but of course Mercedes aren't going to stand still.
"Ferrari are probably in a very similar situation. That's very tough when the engines are frozen at the end of February."

Williams drivers Massa and Bottas drive historic F1 cars

Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas had the chance to try out some historic Williams Formula 1 machinery at Silverstone during the team's annual partner day.

The Williams-Renault FW18 that Jacques Villeneuve drove to wins at the Hungaroring, Silverstone and Estoril in 1996, the Cosworth-engined car driven to victory by Keke Rosberg at Monaco in 1983 and the current FW36 made a huge impression during the partner day.
This new video reveals just how much the team's race drivers, and testers Susie Wolff and Felipe Nasr, enjoyed the experience.
MIKA: Please bring back V10's!

VETTEL HOLDS FIRST TEST WITH FERRARI AT FIORANO

Vettel-Ferrari-Test.jpg

Quadruple F1 world champion Sebastian Vettel has tested with Ferrari for the first time since signing with the Maranello team.
The Gazzetta dello Sport reports that the German driver was at the wheel of an F2012 from two seasons ago at Ferrari’s private Fiorano circuit.
It was announced last week that Vettel, who won four consecutive F1 titles at Red Bull, had signed a three-year deal with Ferrari to replace Fernando Alonso.
Vettel wore a white helmet that had the words, “My first day at Ferrari” plus Saturday’s date, written on it. He faces a difficult challenge to restore Ferrari to prominence, with the Italian team having just concluded its first season without a win since 1993.
Vettel also struggled this year, finishing 217 points behind F1 champion Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes.

Hamilton: London GP would be insane

formula-one-racing-lewis-hamilton-merced

Lewis Hamilton has welcomed talk of a London GP, saying it would be "even better" than Formula 1's other street races.
Several years ago there was a proposal for a street race with the circuit layout incorporating The Mall, Trafalgar Square, and Park Lane.
And although F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone voiced his support, as did several teams, nothing has yet come of it.
Hamilton, though, says he would welcome a race through the English capital.
Speaking to ITV News, the double World Champ said: "I'm proud to be British and I'm proud to represent the country. There's only really me and Jenson doing it.
"When you win the Championship and you have the chance to get the flag, it's one of the proudest moments. Having the British Grand Prix is really important because sport is huge here.
"A London Grand Prix would be insane. We have the Singapore Grand Prix in the streets of Singapore and it's unbelievable at night time there.
"It would be even better here. It would bring more tourists in, not that we need any more because it's always such a popular place."

MERCEDES CELEBRATE FORMULA 1 SUCCESS WITH 50,000 SPECTATORS

141129STARSANDCARS-1984.jpg

Mercedes-Benz organised a spectacular conclusion to the 2014 sporting year on Saturday, November 29th with Stars & Cars in Stuttgart. 50,000 visitors came to the event based around the Mercedes-Benz museum in Stuttgart to honour Formula 1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton, his team-mate and world championship runner-up Nico Rosberg and Silver Arrows constructors’ champions Mercedes AMG Petronas.
“The reception from the fans here in Stuttgart was absolutely indescribable,” said Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton. “I celebrated my first world title with spectators here at Stars & Cars back in 2008, but this year, they have topped even my expectations. The atmosphere was fantastic and a fitting conclusion to this incredible season.”
“I never thought in a million years that I would receive such support. Winning this title was the best moment of my life. The team turned in an extraordinary performance, for which I would like to thank all my colleagues in the factories at Brackley, Brixworth and here in Stuttgart. Our progress since last year has been absolutely phenomenal.”
141129STARSANDCARS-0649.jpg
Lewis Hamilton with fans
This was the double world champion’s first appearance in a Silver Arrow since winning the world championship last Sunday in Abu Dhabi. Hamilton, Rosberg and many other current and former racing drivers thrilled the audience by performing demo laps on a temporary 1.1 km track close to the Mercedes-Benz museum, driving Mercedes-Benz racing cars that represent 120 years of motor racing history.
Nico Rosberg: “2014 has been an incredible year for me. I am proud to be part of this fantastic team. Driving my Silver Arrow this season has been enormous fun. It was an amazing experience for me. I’ve been particularly inspired by the huge support from my fans around the world. It gave me extra strength yet again. I’ll be back on the offensive next year.”
A total of 64 vehicles took part in 20 car runs. The oldest vehicle was the grand prix racing car from 1914 with which Mercedes achieved a legendary triple victory in France. The most modern car was the Silver Arrow of world champion Hamilton. In the past Formula 1 season, Hamilton and Rosberg took the Mercedes AMG F1 W05 Hybrid to a total of 16 grand prix wins – more than has ever been achieved by any team in one season. Eleven of them were one-two victories, which is also a new record.
141129STARSANDCARS-3196.jpg
Mercedes F1 winning team management
The most spectacular run of the day was dedicated to the three letters SLR. The six SLR vehicles driving on the track around the Mercedes-Benz museum, among them the Uhlenhaut Coupé, are valued at well in excess of 100 million euros. Many VIP guests attended the event, including legendary motor racing greats Hans Herrmann, Stirling Moss and Klaus Ludwig and sports stars like professional golfer Martin Kaymer, head national football coach Joachim Löw and manager of the German national football squad Oliver Bierhoff.
Head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport Toto Wolff: “This event was the most fitting way to bring to a close this wonderful anniversary season, celebrating 120 years of motorsport and 80 years of the Silver Arrows. We could not have devised anything better. Stars & Cars gave us the chance to say thank you to our loyal fans for their great support after a long motor racing season.”
“It was just brilliant to hear the engines of current and classic Silver Arrows firing up around the Mercedes-Benz museum. Once again this year, Stars & Cars provided a unique blend of modern and classic motor sport.” (GP247-Mercedes)
141129STARSANDCARS-3098-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-3115-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-3143-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-3201-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-3224-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-3378-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-3409-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-3426-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-0449-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-0667-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-0713-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-0847-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-0861-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-1017-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-1404-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-1684-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-1704-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-1695-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-1750-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-1839-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-1844-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-1900-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-1965-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-2021-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-2072-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-2080-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-2145-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-2156-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-2270-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-2592-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-2623-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-2733-350x250.jpg
141129STARSANDCARS-2877-350x250.jpg141129STARSANDCARS-3093-350x250.jpg

• Like 1

Marko 'confident' youngsters will deliver

max-verstappen-carlos-sainz-toro-rosso_3

Despite fielding an all-rookie line-up at Toro Rosso in 2015, Helmut Marko is "confident" Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz are up to the challenge.
Having raised eyebrows with the signing of teenager Verstappen, Toro Rosso then took the unusual step of teaming the Dutchman up with another rookie in Sainz Jr.
The Spaniard, who won the Formula Renault 3.5 Championship earlier this year, is part of the Red Bull fold and beat out other drivers, including the more experienced Jean-Eric Vergne, for the second race-seat.
Marko said: "Carlos has been with the Red Bull Junior Team for a long time. He's had some ups and downs, but he convinced us by winning this year's World Series title - and especially doing so with a record of seven wins.
"Nobody in the history of the series has matched Carlos in that regard. He's matured a lot in the last two years.
"Of course, we were waiting to see how the Championships were going. And then the test in Abu Dhabi in the Formula One car [for Red Bull Racing] was the thing that really confirmed to us he was the right man for the seat.
"He had a very successful test this week. He did 100 laps, the speed was good and the technical feedback was good. He's done everything we expected, so I'd say he was the natural choice."
The Red Bull advisor has downplayed concerns about the duo's combined lack of experience as both will make their F1 debuts in 2015, Verstappen, though, has at least taken part in several Friday FP1 sessions.
"We have a lot of trust in the drivers, but we also have a lot of trust in Toro Rosso, led by Franz Tost," said Marko. "He handles the situation and the education of young drivers very well. All of the preparation he did with Max was very good.
"Of course, it gives us nice, bright future driver-wise - and also it means our budgets are not as affected as those of other teams!"
He added: "I'm looking forward to seeing these two young guys having their first season! We're confident they'll do very well. From the tests, the approach, the personalities, everything looks really promising."

Wolff rubbishes Renault quit fear

Toto-Wolff_3097945.jpg

Toto Wolff has responded to Christian Horner's quit threat, adamant Renault won't walk away from F1 if the sport sticks with the 1.6-litre V6 engines.
Unhappy with the current engines, Horner is keen to Formula 1 to ditch the 1.6-litre turbocharged V6 units in 2016.
He reckons they are too complicated and too expensive and that any fear that Mercedes could quit the sport if they are changed should be weighed up against the prospect of other manufacturers walking away.
"What do you do?" said the Red Bull team boss. "If you leave it as is, you will probably drive Renault and one or two others away.
"So, you have to do what is right for the sport rather than what is right for an individual manufacturer."
Wolff, though, is adamant that sticking with the current units long-term will not result in Renault quitting the sport.
He told Autosport: "They are interesting comments, but probably the whole story has been turned around a little bit.
"What we have said is that Formula 1 needs long-term stability and that the constructors in Formula 1, Renault, Honda and Mercedes, decided to enter Formula 1 based on a set of rules.
"And all of the constructors, including Ferrari, share that vision, share that view.
"So he [Horner] is probably speaking about his team and not Renault."
The Mercedes motorsport boss, whose team dominated this year's Championship easily winning both titles, also claimed that Ferrari are committed to the current format, they, like Renault, just want the engine freeze lifted.
"I think Ferrari is very committed to the current engine format, and it's clear for all of us that short term we shouldn't be erratic," he said.
"We shouldn't take any decisions that will destabilise Formula 1 and destabilise potential new entries such as Honda or others.
"We need to look at the long-term perspective and how we can optimise the sport.
"There were some very sensible discussions, very refreshing and direct views from Ferrari, and the meeting made all the sense in the world."

O'Connell 'talking' to potential buyer

caterham-2014-abu-dhabi-gp-mechanics_323

Caterham could be sold "within the next month" according to administrator Finbarr O'Connell.
O'Connell took control of the floundering F1 team when it went into administration earlier this season and, turning to crowdfunding, was able to get Caterham back onto the grid for the season-ending Abu Dhabi GP.
With the team remaining a viable option for a buyer, the Irishman has revealed a possible buyer is lurking in the wings.
"I am honestly talking to somebody who would like to take this over within the next month," he told Press Association Sport.
"This is somebody who feels the same as me, that if we don't do something quickly then the team will drift away.
"This is a credible person with credible backers, somebody linked to Formula One, and I am delighted about that.
"Talking to people with no Formula One involvement at all adds that huge risk factor, but this is somebody who knows it and who wants to do it.
"They'd like to take it over with the same people and with the same infrastructure, as the same team, and that would be the dream result for me. It would be absolutely fantastic."
The 54-year-old reckons Caterham's will to return to the grid at the Yas Marina circuit has played a massive role in garnering the buyer's attention.
He added: "The weekend advanced the talks with the buyer as they saw we are not just the concept of a team.
"They could see the people here are committed, together, that we're an operational team, and that was really attractive."

Marussia auctioneer shows photos of 2015 car

upmaru1.jpg

The assets of the Marussia F1 Team are to be auctioned off in mid-December.
The Marussia F1 Team has fallen after desperately trying to claw their way back to the Formula One grid. Their fall was preceeded by the tragedy in Japan where their star driver Jules Bianchi almost lost his life and still remains unconscious in a French hospital, two months later.
upMaru3.jpg
The fall of Marussia
They ran only one one car in the Russian Grand Prix that followed in Sochi, retiring from the race in the early going. The team did not appear at the United States Grand Prix and was cast into administration. Hope rose that they would return when a provisional entry list for 2015 had them on it, but carrying the name of 'Manor F1 Team.'
Less than 48 hours later, negotiations with potential investors had failed and Marussia ceased trading, making over 200 employees redundant. However, the crumbling organization fought to rise from the shattered remains of their race team once more, making a brazen attempt to run the season finale in Abu Dhabi. Some equipment and even crew members made it to the circuit, but the cars never did.

What's for sale

Now, the skeleton of what was once Marussia is to be auctioned off on the 16th and 17th of December. The sale will include race cars (no engines), a complete test lab and machine shop, corporate offices, a fleet of trailers, a large quantity of spare parts including race day replacement parts/tools and high tech server equipment.

Among all the interesting items up for sale, one is of great interest ... The concept body of what appears to be Marussia's 2015 Formula One car. CA Global Partners is the company in charge of the auction, with more details HERE.

Big crash for Webber in Brazil

Mark Webber has emerged from a sizeable crash in the WEC race at Interlagos, in the same place as he crashed heavily in a Jaguar F1 car back in 2003. It is not yet clear exactly what happened, but Webber and the AF Corse Ferrari of Matteo Cressoni went into the wall together at the fast left-hander, just before the pitlane entry. There is no space there for run-off. The Porsche hit the wall side-on and then slewed across the road into the inside wall. There was a small oil fire after the crash.
Webber gave a thumbs up when being stretchered away from the car and Porsche Motorsport later tweeted “Driver OK”.
The race ended under caution with Webber’s team-mates Neel Jani, Romain Dumas and Marc Lieb giving Porsche its first win since returning to sports cars this year. The trio finished ahead of the Toyota of Anthony Davidson and Sebastien Buemi with the Audi of nine-time 24 Hour of Le Mans winner Tom Kristensen finishing third in his last race, with team-mates Lucas di Grassi and Loic Duval.

MERCEDES: WE WOULD WELCOME AUDI AND BMW IN F1

141129STARSANDCARS-4204.jpg

Mercedes would like to go head-to-head in Formula 1 with Germany’s other two premium car manufacturer brands, claims Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche, after Mercedes-Benz in 2014 succeeded in winning the Formula 1 drivers’ and constructors’ championships.
Zetsche told Sport Bild: “We share – and I’m talking about the premium business – about 80 per cent of the world market share with Audi and BMW.
“Of course,” he added, “we greatly admire Red Bull and Ferrari and the other teams, nevertheless other manufacturer teams [bMW and Audi] would be very much welcomed by us.”
Mercedes, Audi and BMW are heavily involved in DTM – the German premier touring car series – which features a mix of former F1 drivers and young driving talent destined for either F1 or sportscars.
Mercedes bought and renamed the title-winning Brawn GP team – formerly Honda – after 2009 and initially targeted success with the Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher.
DI30213-20120928.jpg
Zetsche admitted: “We never imagined that success would be so difficult and take so long to achieve.”
But he said that Mercedes is now fully committed to Formula 1, “If we do something, we do it properly. Therefore, we have at no time asked the fundamental question, and nor do we have plans to change anything on that commitment now.”
He admitted that the new electric open wheeler series Formula E is worth considering from Mercedes’ point of view, but he ruled out Le Mans.
“A whole year working for 24 hours, we do not consider to be a good cost-benefit radio,” said Zetsche.
He also played down all the current talk about Formula 1 being in crisis, “It is absurd to say Formula 1 is dead. I cannot think of a more exciting season. All the criticism was led largely by those who were not successful.”
And he also blamed people like Bernie Ecclestone for talking Formula 1 down in 2014, “Most definitely we have not sufficiently exploited the potential of Formula 1, because the official channels of communication have not been used in a professional way.”
“We are more committed than ever in contributing to professionalise the sport in this regard. Better engaging younger fans is a central question,” he added.

HAMILTON: I’VE NEVER HAD THIS DREAM OF FERRARI

141129STARSANDCARS-1017.jpg

Lewis Hamilton says he does not feel the lure of Formula 1’s most famous team – Ferrari – and is adamant that he wants to saty with Silver Arrows long term
After seven years with Red Bull‘s teams and four titles, Sebastian Vettel has switched to Ferrari for 2015 but Hamilton insists he is happy at Mercedes.
“I cannot see myself at any other team,” the recently crowned 2014 Formula 1 world champion told Bild am Sonntag newspaper.
Hamilton has a contract with Mercedes for 2015, but team management had scheduled immediate talks to discuss an extension for 2016 and beyond, “I hope we can sit down and talk about it before Christmas.”
Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Prix-Abu-Dhabi-y
Boss Wolff confirmed to DPA news agency: “We have not discussed it yet.”
But Hamilton allayed any fears that he might be considering leaving the team, perhaps to join Vettel in fabled red.
“I’ve never had this dream of Ferrari,” the Briton insisted. “The red car looks great but I can always buy a Mercedes in red,” he laughed.
Finally, Hamilton said that after a year of intensity alongside his title-warring teammate Nico Rosberg, he is now expecting an easier relationship, “All the tension has disappeared and we have gone back to being two normal guys talking about normal things.”

CATERHAM ALLOWED TO USE 2014 F1 CAR NEXT YEAR

12234134726_0008ea3b28_o.jpg

Caterham will be allowed to compete in Formula 1 next season with this year’s car if they find a buyer to keep them in business, the team’s administrator said on Monday.
Finbarr O’Connell, who works for Smith & Williamson, told Reuters that the governing International Automobile Federation had agreed the dispensation at a meeting last week of the Formula One commission.
The move still needs to be ratified by the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council in Doha on Wednesday.
“It was proposed as something to help Caterham and Marussia but will be available to any team if they want to apply to the FIA,” said O’Connell.
While Caterham are hoping to find a new owner, Marussia have ceased trading and their assets are due to be auctioned off later this month.
The dispensation means there is less immediate pressure on Caterham, since they will no longer have to design and build a new car in time for the start of the 2015 season in Australia on 15 March, and will be able to run the CT05 chassis.
However O’Connell, who said last month he hoped to secure a deal before Christmas, felt it was still important to sort out matters in the next few weeks if former staff were not to drift away.
He said there were “two very interested parties and a number of others who I feel are not as interested” and was encouraging them to move as quickly as possible.
British-based Caterham, who used Renault engines this year, have yet to score a point in five years in the sport and were last in the championship.
The team were founded by Malaysian AirAsia airline entrepreneur Tony Fernandes, who also runs Premier League soccer club Queens Park Rangers.

CVC COULD PAY F1ENGINE BILL FOR SMALLER TEAMS

dcd1406jy622.jpg

Mercedes chairman Dieter Zetsche says he wants Formula 1 to maintain a healthy grid, amid a season where backmarker teams hit the wall and three of the smaller teams argue loudly about costs and power.
Talks to balance the sport’s financial issues have so far produced scarce results, but Zetsche told Sport Bild: “Of course we have an interest that, within certain limits, we have a broad field of competitors.”
He said there are talks behind the scenes about how Formula 1’s commercial income is split between the big and small teams and the owner CVC, “In this respect, we are involved in constructive discussions.”
Blick reports that the latest idea to help Lotus, Force India and Sauber stay afloat involves the high cost of buying engines from the big carmaker teams.
The newspaper said that in the coming weeks, it will be discussed that instead of the small teams being billed directly, CVC will send payment for the expensive V6 engines straight to their suppliers Mercedes and Ferrari.

WILLIAMS TO HEAD NEW GENERATION WORKING GROUP

Claire-Williams-F1-Grand-Prix-Bahrain-Pr

Formula 1 has created a new working group with an eye on future generations, headed by Claire Williams.
Bernie Ecclestone caused a stir recently when he said he was not interested in marketing the sport to young people because it is 70-year-olds who have the money to buy a Rolex.
But even his close friend Christian Horner, boss of the trendy energy drink-owned Formula 1 team Red Bull, hinted Ecclestone’s comments were a concern.
“When you’re 84,” he said, “a 70-year-old is still pretty young.”
Ecclestone, however, hit back by denying he ever spoke against the world’s younger generation, “I said I don’t know how many six or seven-year-old kids there are with a Rolex.”
But Ecclestone had also denounced the hugely popular and world-changing social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
And the sport continues to rely almost exclusively on its traditional model of generating income by selling exclusive television rights to broadcasters. But the ratings, like in the once booming German market, are on the decline.
“There is no longer this Sunday ritual of turning on the TV on a Sunday afternoon and watching for hours,” Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff told the German trade magazine Sponsors.
“People want to consume their products when they want and where they want.”
Wolff does, however, acknowledge the dilemma for Formula 1 as it looks to the future.
“If like Formula 1 you generate 600 million of your income from traditional TV, you aren’t just going to tell the broadcasters that from now on we’re doing everything for free on Youtube,” he insisted.
Totalrace said Formula 1 has created a brand new modern working group headed by Williams’ deputy boss Claire Williams. The report said the first proposals will be discussed at the next meeting of the Strategy Group.

Webber 'pretty bruised' and concussed

Mark-Webber-Porsche_3131257.jpg

Mark Webber suffered bruising and a concussion when he crashed heavily in Sunday's season finale of the World Endurance Championship.
The former Red Bull driver was in the final hour of the Six Hours of Sao Paulo when he lost control of his Porsche 919 Hybrid.
Hitting the wall at Turn 14 hard, Webber was taken to the track's medical centre before being transported to a local hospital.
He underwent further checks and was diagnosed with a concussion before spending the night in hospital.
Releasing a statement via his website on Monday, the Aussie said: "I'm quite sore this morning and am pretty bruised and have got a stinking headache.
"I've got no recollection of the accident or how it happened - the team is looking into the details to find out more.
"Thanks to the medical team at the track and here at the hospital who did a great job and are looking after me very well."
The statement added that Webber is "still under care at the hospital but is set to return to the UK later this week."

Gutierrez: Ability hidden by Sauber

Esteban-Gutierrez_3235784.jpg

Esteban Gutierrez says he is looking forward to showing his capabilities in the future after his form was blighted by an under-performing Sauber.
The Mexican racer suffered a dismal final campaign with Sauber as both himself and team-mate Adrian Sutil failed to score a single point.
The year ended with both drivers getting the boot, although Gutierrez insists it was his decision to bring his time with Sauber to an end.
The 23-year-old, who is chasing a test driver role to remain in F1, is now wanting to the opportunity to prove he is better than the results he's achieved to date.
"Yes I believe so," Gutierrez told NBC's MotorSportsTalk. "It's not for me to talk about it, because obviously there is a lot of work behind the scenes which probably not many people realise.
"In my first year, I was a rookie, and there were many things happening which put me in a very stressful situation. Even then, I was able to show good performances in the second half of the year.
"Then I come into my second year when I can show my full performance and potential, and I find myself in a team that has gone a lot backwards and isn't really in a position to show anything from my capabilities.
"Many times I did really great laps in qualifying, also really good races, but from the outside it's not something you can really realise, because obviously the result is the result, and that's what we need to accept.
"That's why I am looking to be in a position to prove myself and show my capabilities, because I think these two years with the experience of the position I've been in, I think it's a great place for my future in Formula 1.
"I don't regret anything. Obviously there are always things I could have done better, not only on my side but from the team, other things could have happened better.
"In life, you cannot control everything. That's how destiny is. Things happen for a reason. I have to move on, I have to keep fighting."

HAMILTON: IVE NEVER HAD THIS DREAM OF FERRARI

141129STARSANDCARS-1017.jpg

Lewis Hamilton says he does not feel the lure of Formula 1s most famous team Ferrari and is adamant that he wants to saty with Silver Arrows long term

After seven years with Red Bulls teams and four titles, Sebastian Vettel has switched to Ferrari for 2015 but Hamilton insists he is happy at Mercedes.

I cannot see myself at any other team, the recently crowned 2014 Formula 1 world champion told Bild am Sonntag newspaper.

Hamilton has a contract with Mercedes for 2015, but team management had scheduled immediate talks to discuss an extension for 2016 and beyond, I hope we can sit down and talk about it before Christmas.

Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Prix-Abu-Dhabi-y

Boss Wolff confirmed to DPA news agency: We have not discussed it yet.

But Hamilton allayed any fears that he might be considering leaving the team, perhaps to join Vettel in fabled red.

Ive never had this dream of Ferrari, the Briton insisted. The red car looks great but I can always buy a Mercedes in red, he laughed.

Finally, Hamilton said that after a year of intensity alongside his title-warring teammate Nico Rosberg, he is now expecting an easier relationship, All the tension has disappeared and we have gone back to being two normal guys talking about normal things.

I hear ya Lewis but your opinion would change if Ferrari was the Ferrari of the 1990-2000's period when Schumi was crushing it IMHO.....
  • Like 1

Smedley hails 'the best' Massa

Rob-Smedley_3235783.jpg

Rob Smedley reckons there are "no limits" on what Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas could achieve at Williams with the right car.
Smedley, who was previously Massa's race engineer at Ferrari, joined the Brazilian at Williams this season as he took on the role of Head of Vehicle Performance.
The Brit had a front row seat to Massa's return to form as the driver claimed three podium finishes including a strong second place at the season-ending Abu Dhabi GP.
Finishing the season seventh overall with 134 points, Smedley feels Formula 1 is now seeing the best of Massa.
"When I first turned up [at Williams] and saw how relaxed he was in this environment, I knew that we could start to get the results that he should be getting," he told Sportal.
"And I think that has just been compounded as the year has gone on, and as he has enjoyed the environment more he has got better and better.
"I think in Abu Dhabi you saw the very best Felipe. He was absolutely flawless; he didn't put a foot wrong, there was lots of information coming back, he was involved in the strategy.
"I asked his race engineer to get him involved in that final tyre call [where Massa switched to super-soft tyres], he gave him all the information and he said 'let's go for it'.
"That's what a top driver does. A top driver gets involved and he leads from the front.
"And not only that, he was absolutely flawless: the in- and out-laps, everything, and that's the best Felipe."
Smedley reckons if Massa can continue to drive like that, and Williams can provide him and Bottas with the right car, there is nothing stopping the duo from taking Williams to the very sharp end of the grid.
He added: "The Felipe I know can drive like that, and we have to get him and his team-mate to a level where they are doing that every weekend.
"If we do that, and deliver the car, then there are no limits."
MIKA: IMO Bottas easily outpaced Massa.
The points and podiums speak for themselves. Great to see Williams back on top.