FORMULA 1 - 2014

DENMARK WANTS TO HOST GRAND PRIX IN 2018

X0W2766.jpg

Denmark is the latest country to throw their hat into the ring wanting to host a Formula 1 race.
The Danish newspaper Herning Folkeblad said the Nordic country, already with a local driver on the grid in the form of Kevin Magnussen, is eyeing a Grand Prix debut for 2018.
The report said officials for the project were due to meet Bernie Ecclestone this week, but it has now been delayed until January.
“It doesn’t matter if a little more time passes before this meeting takes place as we are working to get Formula 1 to Denmark in 2018,” said Helge Sander, Denmark’s former minister for science, technology and development.
The newspaper said Sander is leading the project and trying to raise capital from major Danish corporations, possibly including Saxo Bank and the fashion brand Bestseller.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

Business as usual as Merc hit the front

pascal-wehrlein-mercedes_3233999.jpg

It was business as usual on day two of the Abu Dhabi test as Pascal Wehrlein topped the timesheets while McLaren's struggles continued.
Having only been appointed Mercedes reserve driver in September, the 19-year-old Wehrlein was making his debut for the squad in the post-season test at the Yas Marina Circuit on Wednesday.
And with the title-winning W05-Hybrid underneath him, it was no surprise that he clocked the fastest time with his 1:42.624, which was posted in final few minutes of the session on a low fuel load, 0.7s better than Valtteri Bottas' time for Williams on day one.
Raffaele Marciello, another making his F1 debut with Ferrari not allowed to run Sebastian Vettel yet, was second quickest with a 1:43.208 while Max Verstappen in the Toro Rosso completed the top three.
It really was a case of the young guns hitting the front as Sauber driver Marcus Ericsson was fourth with Spike Goddard, debuting for Force India, fifth and "old man" Daniel Ricciardo sixth in the Red Bull.
Ricciardo's work day was halted two hours before the chequered flag came out as he made fiery exit with smoke coming from the back of his Red Bull - the reason still unknown.
Alex Lynn was another who made his Formula 1 debut with the GP3 Champion seeing some action for Lotus in the afternoon session, and he managed to post the ninth fastest time.
However, it was another eventful day for McLaren with Stoffel Vandoorne once again failing to set a lap time as their struggles with their new Honda power unit continued. Vandoorne managed only three installation laps on Tuesday and he completed one less on the final day.
Electrical and fuel/data exchange issues gave them headaches on day, but racing director Eric Boullier has admitted a "completely unknown problem" was to blame for their latest woes.
Times
01 Pascal Wehrlein Mercedes 1:42.624 96 laps
02 Raffaele Marciello Ferrari 1:43.208 +0.584 90 laps
03 Max Verstappen Toro Rosso 1:43.763 +1.139 78 laps
04 Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1:44.551 +1.927 111 laps
05 Will Stevens Caterham 1:44.888 +2.264 43 laps
06 Spike Goddard Force India 1:44.944 +2.320 89 laps
07 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 1:45.151 +2.527 88 laps
08 Felipe Nasr Williams 1:45.937 +3.313 83 laps
09 Alex Lynn Lotus 1:46.168 +3.544 34 laps
10 Esteban Ocon Lotus 1:47.013 +4.389 34 laps
11 Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren No time 2 laps

Alonso: I'm not difficult to work with

Fernando-Alonso_3225821.jpg

Fernando Alonso says the fact that his former teams are always willing to keep "one door open" for him proves he is easy to work with.
The Spaniard has confirmed he will leave Ferrari after their five-year relationship failed to yield any titles and he has reportedly already signed a deal to return to McLaren next year.
The two-time World Champion, of course, had a one-off season with the Woking squad in 2007 while he also had two different stints with Renault.
Asked if he could return to Ferrari one day, he replied: "I don't know. More or less I know the questions you will do normally but I did expect this one so I'm not prepared to answer! At the moment it's not an option because if you say bye-bye it's not because five minutes later you think you might come back."
There have been reports that Alonso is very difficult to work with, but the 33-year-old says he is always welcomed back with open arms by his former teams.
He added on ESPNF1: "I went from Renault to McLaren, then I came back to Renault. I went to Ferrari, maybe I'll come back. It seems that people that work with me give me one door open, which is different to things I read about being difficult to work with.
"At the end of the day the places I work I can usually come back to so that's a good sign."

Kimi: Arrivabene a good appointment

Kimi-Raikkonen-smiling_3202520.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen believes Maurizio Arrivabene is the "right guy" for Ferrari and will push the team forward.
Barely eight months after replacing Stefano Domenicali as team principal, Ferrari confirmed on Monday that Marco Mattiacci has been given the boot with Arrivabene named his replacement.
Arrivabene has been with Ferrari sponsor Philip Morris for the past 27 years and has represented all Formula 1 sponsors on the F1 commission since 2010.
"Obviously there was a change now," Raikkonen told Autosport. "I know Maurizio from the past and he's a very nice guy.
"I think he's the right guy in the position he's been put in.
"There's a lot of hard work, not just for him but for everyone in the team.
"He's known Ferrari for a long time and he's known the business for a long time, and I think he has the right way of putting things in the right order and pushing the team to where we should be."
The Italian squad struggled during Mattiacci's tenure and finished the 2014 campaign without a victory to their name - the first time since 1980 that it has happened.
Asked how he had rated Mattiacci's contribution, Raikkonen replied: "Obviously I think he did a very good job. I liked him.
"I didn't really know him before - we hadn't met before.
"I think coming from outside of Formula 1 into the position he came into is definitely not easy, and I think he did a good job."

Lewis: McLaren need 'star quality' Button

lewis_3202247.jpg

Newly-crowned World Champion Lewis Hamilton is the latest to urge McLaren to re-sign Jenson Button for the 2015 season.
McLaren Group CEO Dennis has confirmed that they won't decide until after December 1 if Button or Kevin Magnussen will partner the returning Fernando Alonso next year.
Several F1 role players have come out in support of the 2009 World Champion and Hamilton also believes McLaren need a "star quality driver" like Button if they want to challenge for the title.
"Jenson's been in Formula One for a long time, he's had an exceptional career, and he's still young," he is quoted as saying by Press Association Sport. "On Sunday he drove incredibly well to bring a McLaren up to fifth, and with a great driver (Magnussen) alongside him who wasn't able to do the same with the same car.
"I guess it (Dennis' situation) just highlights how limited Formula One is. There are only 18 or 20 seats.
"But he (Button) has proven time and again he is still a worthy competitor and a valuable asset for any team to have.
"I've known Ron for a long, long time and he is passionate about racing.
"I'm sure he'll make the smart decision, and for me, building a team to target being champions you need to have star quality drivers.
"There are only a handful of those and Jenson's one of them."

Todt says Red Bull's twin-turbo plan 'nonsense'

1412628173698_wps_2_MONZA_ITALY_SEPTEMBE

FIA president Jean Todt insists he does not have unlimited powers to force change within the seemingly crisis-struck world of Formula One.

Two backmarkers collapsed in 2014 and three other outfits are furious about the concentration of power and income in the paddock.
Efforts to cut costs this year notably failed, and fingers of blame have been pointed in the direction of the sport's ultra low-profile Todt, who many are now contrasting with his dictatorial predecessor Max Mosley.
"What can I do?" Todt is quoted as saying by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, after a meeting of the controversial Strategy Group in Geneva on Tuesday.
"We have certain decision-making processes that we cannot just change. That's democracy."
One thing the former Ferrari boss is promising to address is the huge cost of buying a turbo V6 engine from one of F1's three suppliers.
"I am going to fight about the price of the engines for the small teams," he said. "I will do the best but I cannot guarantee the result."
But Todt is much less confident about his plan to re-propose mandatory budget caps, revealing that last time around "even Lotus" argued against it.
Development freeze
He also expressed some sympathy for the plight of Renault and Ferrari, who want more freedom within the rules to catch up with dominant Mercedes.
Todt agreed: "It only makes sense to freeze development if the individual engines are approximately level.
"On the other hand, we cannot now punish Mercedes because they did a good job."
As for Red Bull's proposal to modify the engine formula perhaps by standardising ERS and adding a twin-turbo, Todt said that is "nonsense".
"We do the sport no favours with these sorts of discussions," he insisted.
No standing re-starts, no three-car teams
Meanwhile, Italy's Autosprint said the Strategy Group on Tuesday ruled to scrap plans for standing re-starts after safety car periods next year, while Todt played down the likelihood of three-car teams to boost fading grid numbers.
"If there are only nine teams next year," he said, "then there will be 18 cars at the start.
"We have seen periods in MotoGP when only 16 bikes were at the start."

FERRARI BUST SPYING ON MERCEDES DURING ABU DHABI TEST

Ferrari-spy.jpg

Mercedes thwarted what is believed to be a female Ferrari spy, now dubbed Jane Blond, using high-tech filming gear during the Formula 1 test in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday.
La Gazzetta dello Sport and Bild published photographs of the blonde female Ferrari employee using an infrared video camera.
The camera being used was an Infrec R300 which boasts the following specs: “InfRec Analyzer NS9500PRO for R300, PC software with comprehensive capability needed for real-time recording, detailed data analysis and report creation.”
“It enables you with simple operation to make simultaneous video capturing of thermal/visible images into PC via USB and composite image display on a real-time basis.”
“The InfRec R300 demonstrates its excellent abilities in various measuring scenes such as R&D of electric components or machineries, biological objects, quality control at manufacturing plants, building inspection and checkups/ preventive maintenance of power equipment and electric facilities.”
Ferrari-spy2.jpg
Ferrari spy above the Mercedes pit garage
Wearing Ferrari team gear and headphones strapped to her belt, the spy was using the camera in the spectator area immediately above the Mercedes team garage.
The purpose of gathering such information may provide clues to the heat distribution of the W05, and also provide information on composites and fluids used in the sport’s most successful V6 turbo power units – all of value to Ferrari technicians .
The reports said a member of the championship-winning Mercedes team went into the spectator area to ask his Ferrari counterpart to stop filming.
Asked what the James Bond style espionage mission was all about, Ferrari told Bild: “Nothing special.”
MIKA: Ahhh... I'm in full RED Ferrari gear above a competitiors pit area... No one will see me. loser.gif
  • Like 1

ROSBERG: I AM NOT ANGRY WITH THE TEAM

SNE12221.jpg

Nico Rosberg insists he is not angry with Mercedes after technical issues ended his Formula 1 world championship hopes last at the decisive season finale.
The German was running behind eventual title winner Lewis Hamilton in the double points Abu Dhabi finale when technical strife began to slow his car.
Days later, the 2014 runner-up told Auto Bild: “I’m not angry with the team. Why would I be angry? First, it’s just not the way I am. You win and lose together as a team.
“Second, Mercedes has given me by far the best car in my Formula 1 career,” said the 29-year-old, who made his debut back in 2006 with Williams.
T8R8614.jpg
“When this first disappointment has passed, I will look forward again,” Rosberg added. “I even have a plan already as I know the details of where I need to improve in the races.”
Rosberg won five races this year compared to Hamilton’s 11. According to Red Bull team boss Christian Horner, the right driver won the 2014 title.
“Lewis deserves the championship,” the Briton told Austrian broadcaster Servus TV this week. “He won 11 races this year.”
“It would not have been right if someone else won the championship,” he added, explaining that only the controversial ‘double points’ system gave Rosberg a serious chance of breaching the points gap at the last hurdle.
“The bottom line is you have to say that we got the correct result. If you look at the whole season, the right man is world champion,” said Horner.

VETTEL: NEWEY SAID NO TO ME TESTING FOR FERRARI IN ABU DHABI

Adrian-Newey-Sebastian-Vettel-750x500.jp

Red Bull management had no problem with Sebastian Vettel testing for Ferrari in Abu Dhabi, until Adrian Newey put his foot down and denied the F1 quadruple world champion the opportunity to get acquainted early with his new ride.
After racing a Red Bull for the last time last Sunday, the German stayed in Abu Dhabi for the post-race test and appeared in the Ferrari garage in plain clothing.
As he is still under contract to the energy drink company for the rest of 2014, Red Bull’s Helmut Marko said the appearance was “legally not ok but I couldn’t care less”.
That might be because Red Bull went back on an earlier pledge to Vettel that he be allowed to drive the 2014 Ferrari this week in Abu Dhabi.
Sebastian-Vettel-F1-Testing-Abu-Dhabi-Da
Sebastian Vettel in the Ferrari pit garage at Yas Marina Circuit
“Two weeks ago, everything was clear,” Vettel is quoted by Italy’s Tuttosport. “Then Adrian Newey said no.”
Marko explained to the Swiss newspaper Blick: “When Vettel asked me if he could test the Ferrari in Abu Dhabi, I said ok but that I would have to ask the engineers. They (the engineers) all complained!”
Vettel’s first lap as a Ferrari driver is now expected to be at Jerez next February, as the 2015 winter tests kick off. Until then, the quadruple world champion will be taking lessons in Italian, according to the sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport.
“Language is very important to me,” said the German, “so I want to understand everyone at Ferrari as well as I can.”
Vettel already speaks some Italian, after making his Formula 1 debut in 2007 and 2008 with the Faenza based junior Red Bull team Toro Rosso.

WILLIAMS: NEXT YEAR IS ABOUT TAKING THE FIGHT TO MERCEDES

89P8670.jpg

Williams are back among Formula One’s top trio of teams but deputy principal Claire Williams does not hesitate when asked whether she senses a return to the Williams of old.
“No, it feels like a new Williams,” the daughter of founder Frank told Reuters at the end of a season that saw the former champions finishing third overall in their best performance since 2003.
“It’s not that I don’t love the old Williams… But I think for a number of years we’ve been kind of static, kind of held down and the brand not really knowing where it was, the team not really knowing where it was going.”
Last year, Williams scored just five points and finished ninth overall. The once-dominant team, winners of nine constructors’ and seven drivers’ championships between 1980 and 1997, also scored only five points in 2011 and had not finished higher than sixth overall in the last six years.
Claire-Williams.jpg
So far was the fall from grace that some had begun wondering whether Williams might be headed the same way as now-defunct ex-champions Tyrrell.
This season has highlighted the importance of the switch from Renault to dominant Mercedes engines but the marked improvement in performance comes down to much more than just bolting a different power unit into the back of the car.
The arrival of technical head Pat Symonds, who won championships with Benetton and Renault, as chief technical officer in July 2013 was one key moment as were the signings this year of engineers Jakob Andreasen and Rob Smedley from Force India and Ferrari.
The arrival of title sponsors Martini has also freshened up the image, Williams explained, “I think that’s played a real part mentally and culturally for a lot of people at Williams and that this is a new, bright fresh future for the team. It’s about a new generation and taking it to recreate the glory days, but in a different way.”
W2Q7828.jpg
Williams have been at the sharp end of proceedings throughout the 2014 season
“That’s really exciting for me. I don’t think we’ve heard one conversation about this may be a fluke for Williams. It’s a new path, a new start.”
Williams signed off in Abu Dhabi with Brazilian Felipe Massa and Finland’s Valtteri Bottas second and third to Mercedes’ race winner and champion Lewis Hamilton. Massa had led the race during pitstops and looked threatening throughout.
It would not have come as a massive surprise, in a season that saw Massa on pole in Austria and the team take nine podium placings, if the former Ferrari driver had gone on to win and that has to be the ambition for 2015.
“It’s the next step that’s going to be the hardest piece of work,” recognised Williams. “Next year it’s got to be making that step up and closing the gap to Mercedes… winning races and taking the fight to them.”
G7C5508-750x500.jpg
“It’s down to us to challenge them and to take victories away from them. And that’s really what we want to do. And not to do it flukily, but because we’ve got the competitive advantage.”
Williams, whose tetraplegic father has been in hospital in England for the past month for treatment to a pressure sore, said the success on the track was also being reflected in sponsor interest.
“It really is picking up. People want to be a part of it,” she said. “We’ve got lots of really positive conversations going on in the pipeline. Success breeds success, doesn’t it?”
Some of those brands, she said, were more youth-oriented than in the past and that too was a testament to how Williams had re-positioned themselves, “It’s not just a team that had great success in the 90s but a team with a future.”

Honda remain positive

McLaren-Honda_3234314.jpg

After a stuttering non-start to testing, Honda maintain they will be ready when the 2015 pre-season testing begins in February.
McLaren's relationship with Honda began this past week with a two-day test at the Yas Marina circuit.
Swapping from Mercedes to Honda power, the team's efforts where blighted by various electrical problems.
With test driver Stoffel Vandoorne limited to just five laps over the two days, there are some concerns about Honda's preparations.
However, R&D senior managing officer Yasuhisa Arai is confident they will be ready when testing begins in earnest.
"In short, this was a tricky day," he said.
"We encountered system start-up and data communication issues that prevented us from running as we'd planned.
"However, actually conducting testing at the track enabled us to understand the complexity of the system at a deeper level.
"We now know what is necessary to further develop the system, and we'll work together with McLaren to be ready for the next test - at Jerez in February."

Marciello: Thinking of Bianchi

Raffaele-Marciello_3234238.jpg

Raffaele Marciello says it was "impossible" not to think about Jules Bianchi as he took to the test arena for Ferrari on Wednesday.
The 19-year-old took part in his first official test with Ferrari at the Yas Marina circuit on Wednesday.
Replacing Kimi Raikkonen on the day, Marciello admitted he had been given the opportunity to test because Ferrari protégé Bianchi was unable to.
"It was impossible not to think about Jules: he and I joined the Ferrari Driver Academy at the same time and if I am here today, it's in part because he is not," he stated.
"Jules taught me to always push myself to the limit and here today, I tried to do that for him."
Covering 90 laps on the day, Marciello finished with a best time of 1:43.208, which put him second quickest on the timesheets, 0.584s off the pace.
"A dream come true," Marciello told Ferrari.com. "For an Italian, to jump into a Ferrari, at an official test no less, is a really strong emotion and I am grateful to the team for giving me this opportunity.
"You can really feel the difference, compared to a GP2 car, especially in terms of engine power and the braking force.
"This being my first time at the wheel of an F14 T, I had to gradually adapt my driving style, but in general, I felt comfortable and I hope I helped the team gather useful data."

Hulkenberg to race LMP1 Porsche at Le Mans and Spa

hulk2-313x470.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg will compete in the 2015 Le Mans 24 Hours for Porsche, the team has confirmed.
The Force India driver will also drive an LMP1 Porsche 919 in the Six Hours of Spa in May in the weekend between the Bahrain and Chinese Grands Prix. Le Mans takes place between the Canadian and Austrian Grand Prix.
Hulkenberg said the chance to drive for Porsche at Le Mans was something that “probably attracts every race driver”.
“I’ve been a Porsche fan for a long time and have been watching their return to the LMP1 class closely. The desire grew to drive that car at Le Mans.
“I am very pleased the 2015 Formula One calendar allows for it and I’m grateful to my Sahara Force India Formula One Team’s generosity to let me go for it. Now it’s up to me to work hard to satisfy both commitments.”
Hulkenberg tested a hybrid Porsche 911 GT car while driving for Williams in 2010.
Porsche return to the highest class of endurance racing this year with its 919 Hybrid. Ex-Red Bull racer Mark Webber is among its drivers.
Porsche’s vice-president for LMP1 Fritz Enzinger said: “We are very much looking forward to taking Nico on board. We’ve got complete faith in his driving skills and for sure he will fit well in our works team.”
“The ability to integrate is of extreme importance in endurance racing. For a Formula One driver it is an unusual situation to accept that his own results are the sum of three drivers’ performance.”
Andre Lotterer, who substituted for Kamui Kobayashi at Caterhaam in the Belgian Grand Prix, is the most recent active F1 driver to have enter Le Mans. Before him the most recent regular drivers to do so were Sebastian Bourdais in 2009, while racing for Toro Rosso, and Franck Montagny in 2006, while racing for Super Aguri.

Williams snatches Unilever sponsor from Lotus

williams-fw36_AND9344.jpg

Lotus has lost one of its largest sponsors in the form of consumer giant Unilever, which has switched from the Enstone outfit to one just down the road.
The Williams FW37 will now feature Unilever's Rexona - known as Sure in the United Kingdom - branding on its sidepods, front-wing and front-wishbones.
The team has enjoyed a resurgent season in which it finished third in the constructors' championship compared with ninth last season, whilst Lotus has fallen from fourth in 2013 to eighth this year.
Speaking about the decision to partner with Williams, Rexona's global brand VP Santiago Iturralde said: "As the number one global top performance deodorant brand we are delighted to announce this partnership with Williams Martini Racing. Formula One exudes performance and is a captivating sport for millions of our consumers worldwide.
"The adrenaline, stress, temperature and movement that the drivers, team and fans experience during a Formula One race undoubtedly make them sweat. This is the ultimate torture test for a deodorant – and Rexona won't let you down."
Furthermore Williams Advanced Engineering, the technology and engineering services business of the Williams Group, will be working with Unilever to provide support in the areas of sustainability and efficiency.
Claire Williams, deputy team principal, added: "We're delighted to be partnering with a company of Unilever's global stature in what is a long term collaboration. Williams has a history of partnering with consumer brands to elevate their global reach and we will be using the full range of marketing tools afforded by Formula One and Williams to help Unilever and Rexona achieve their goals.
"We both have a commitment to sustainability and we will be sharing Williams Advanced Engineering’s growing expertise in energy efficient technologies to jointly tackle this important issue."

Williams adamant their front-wing is legal

felipe-massa-williams-fw36_R6T0126.jpg

Williams have denied claims their front-wing is illegal following comments from Red Bull team principal Christian Horner, which suggested it was.
Red Bull's two cars were excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi after the FIA found its front-wings failed load tests - therefore flexed outside the allowed tolerance - during scrutineering.
Horner accepted that they had pushed the regulations to the limit, but suggested rivals, such as Williams, were doing exactly the same and later claimed Red Bull had been singled out.
This was denied by Williams' performance chief Rob Smedley who confirmed that their FW36 underwent the same load tests and was cleared by the FIA.
"I think the FIA tested quite a few front wing flaps, certainly ours was tested, and it was passed as being legal," said the Briton.
"We had conversations with the FIA over the weekend, and in the end they were content with what we were doing, that we weren't infringing the regulations.
"What other teams are doing I can't really comment on, but certainly we had a legal car."
He too conceded that teams are pushing the limits of what's legal and what isn't and it all depends on how far you choose to push the rules.
"I am sure Horner's correct that all teams are pushing, it just all depends on how far you are going to push doesn't it?" he added.
MIKA: See this is what truly annoys me with the likes of Red Bull - They are the first to complain about EVERYTHING and the first to back stab but then they also complain about Mercedes dominance with their engines, and push for an engine unfreeze. Why should they? Mercedes and all other teams had the opportunity to build an engine within a specific specification, the Germans were much better. RBR won the last 4 seasons WDC and Constructor championships, Horner can go jump.
Now they try and raise rubbish about Williams.
  • Like 1

Hulkenberg frustrated by Abu Dhabi penalty

perez-abu-dhabi.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg lost 5s with a penalty for forcing Kevin Magnussen off track on the first lap.

Nico Hulkenberg finished the 2014 season on a high with a solid sixth place in Abu Dhabi, but the Force India driver was frustrated to have lost 5s with a penalty for forcing Kevin Magnussen off track on the first lap.
Hulkenberg insisted that he was not at fault, and said that without the extra handicap he would have beaten Jenson Button to fifth place. The Briton finished 1.8s ahead.
“Not much we could do there,” he told this writer. “It was reported to the stewards, and once they decide, you can't appeal it. It was pretty annoying and frustrating to have that, because I'd done nothing wrong, it was just the battle in the heat of the first lap of the race. Kevin was pushing me wide the corner before. We were going side-by-side around Turn 6 or 7, I wasn't purposely pushing him wide, I was sliding, and that's what happens.
“That's racing, and we want to see racing, don't we? I think we touched very slightly, nothing bad or serious. Otherwise I think it could have been a fifth place, I'm pretty certain. But still a very satisfying and good end to the year.”
Out of the blue
Regarding Force India's improvement in form from qualifying to the race he said: “That was quite unexpected and a surprise, to be honest. Obviously it's good that the car is at its best in the race, but this performance is really a bit out of the blue. Since Friday we changed the set-up quite a bit, but we don't do long runs from that point onwards.
“I was confident in the car, there was good harmony between me and the car, and it was going quite well. It's been a trend always this year that in qualy we don't seem as strong as in the race. On the aero side we still have a lot of work in front of us, we need to get better there.”

LEWIS HAMILTON WINS ANOTHER KIND OF GRAND PRIX IN LONDON

F1 champion Lewis Hamilton was in London this morning appearing on BBC Radio 1, where he took part in a different kind of Grand Prix – the Radio 1 Breakfast Show GP against the show’s host Nick Grimshaw (@grimmers). The show has a weekly reach 5.97 million people.

The event took place on a giant Scalextric track set up in the Live Lounge next to the main studio and Hamilton won the 10 lap challenge. Live commentary was provided by our own James Allen and from BBC TV’s Lee Mackenzie, with some good laughs along the way.
Hamilton won, inevitably, but Grimshaw’s fastest lap was just under 2/10ths slower – how many F1 drivers can say that? !

MIKA: See this is what truly annoys me with the likes of Red Bull - They are the first to complain about EVERYTHING and the first to back stab but then they also complain about Mercedes dominance with their engines, and push for an engine unfreeze. Why should they? Mercedes and all other teams had the opportunity to build an engine within a specific specification, the Germans were much better. RBR won the last 4 seasons WDC and Constructor championships, Horner can go jump.
Now they try and raise rubbish about Williams.

Agree 1000% Mika. I can't stand RBR for this very reason. A typical abnoxious spoiled rich kid in my books.

• Like 1

Agree 1000% Mika. I can't stand RBR for this very reason. A typical abnoxious spoiled rich kid in my books.

Yeah, because Ferrari or Mercedes wouldn't have bitched about the exact same thing had the Renault engine been the power unit to beat this season. Please. All of the major teams are babies. That's how F1 works.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Webber applauds Merc battle

Mark-Webber_3234536.jpg

Mark Webber reckons Mercedes handled the fight between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg for the World title "impeccably".
Almost from the get-go in 2014 the battle for the World Championship looked set to be decided between the Brackley drivers.
The team had to deal with their drivers racing wheel-to-wheel while at times also accusing each other of misdeeds.
And although tensions appeared set to boil over, Mercedes not only maintained their focus but also continued to give both drivers equal opportunity.
Webber told Press Association Sport: "It has been handled impeccably through the whole year between the pair of them.
"It is everything the way it should have been done, and did happen in the end, with the team giving them both a chance.
"It's been a good hard battle between two guys from the same team for the first time since (Ayrton) Senna/(Alain) Prost.
"They handled that advantage incredibly well, which is not easy."
In the end there could be only one and it was Hamilton who beat Rosberg to the Drivers' Championship by 67 points.
The Aussie, who lost the 2010 World title to Sebastian Vettel and never quite found that form again, has backed Rosberg to fight back in 2015.
He added: "We had other guys in the game that year with Fernando (Alonso) and Lewis there, so it was a bit more intense.
"I've openly said '11 was difficult for me to come back from what happened the year before because I was going to stop at the end of 2010, but I didn't. I kept going a bit.
"For '15 for Nico, he has every chance. He's at a different stage of his career than I was, and he's young, even though Lewis is in the ascendancy."

SAINZ CONFIRMED AS TORO ROSSO DRIVER FOR 2015

F1-Testing-Abu-Dhabi-Day-One-tCF_HJmM3zy

Formula 1 next season with Toro Rosso in the youngest lineup on the starting grid, as Red Bull-owned team confirmed that the 20-year-old would partner 17-year-old Dutch rookie Max Verstappen whose father Jos was a Formula One regular.
Team principal Franz Tost said in a statement that the all-new lineup continued “the Toro Rosso tradition of providing youngsters from the Red Bull Junior Driver Programme with their first steps in Formula One”.
Verstappen, who will be the sport’s youngest ever driver, was signed in August as replacement for Frenchman Jean-Eric Vergne at the Italy-based team who are sponsored by Spanish petroleum company CEPSA.
A second vacancy at the team then emerged when Russian Daniil Kvyat was promoted from Toro Rosso to the main Red Bull team after quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel anounced he was leaving for Ferrari.
F1-Testing-Abu-Dhabi-Day-One-GfI2tjuPJkK
Sainz, who won the Renault 3.5 world series this year with a record seven wins, became the frontrunner for the seat after he tested with Renault-powered Red Bull in Abu Dhabi this week and Vergne confirmed he would not be staying.
“I am really happy to have landed the drive with Scuderia Toro Rosso,” said Sainz. “Ever since I have been part of Red Bull’s Young Driver Programme this has been my aim.
“I tested for a day with Toro Rosso last year and I liked the atmosphere in the team. In the next few months I will be working hard on my preparation, ready to get in the cockpit in Jerez for the first test of next year.”
Sainz will give Spain two drivers on the grid, with double world champion Fernando Alonso set to return to McLaren after leaving Ferrari.

ALONSO AND VANDOORNE TEAM UP FOR DUBAI 24 HOURS KART RACE

CU5C2491.jpg

Former Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso, McLaren tester Stoffel Vandoorne and Ferrari race engineer Andrea Stella were part of a team competing in the Dubai Kartdrome 24 Hours which got underway on Friday.
The Spaniard entered a team under the name of Puntonas in the well established and popular leisure endurance karting event which has been held at the venue for several years. In this this edition teams are using 13 horsepower Sodi RX8 karts.
The Puntonas drivers had very little track time, relative to their rivals, nevertheless Vandoorne qualified 14th, and then he managed to make his way into the top six within the first hour of the race. Alonso was involved with the team’s race strategy, and was down to do stints during the night.
Carlos Sainz Junior was earmarked to drive for the team, but had to pull out at the last minute as he is reportedly required in Austria where he is expected to be confirmed as Toro Rosso driver for 2015.
DSC_8018.jpg

Kartdrome manager Ryan Trutch said: “We are privileged to have a driver of Fernando Alonso’s stature compete in our race, along with his team which includes the highly talented Stoffel Vandoorne. They have done remarkably well to cope with the challenges, given that they had never driven before at the Kartdrome.”

“Fernando has asked for, and received, no special treatment, endearing himself to the other drivers and teams with his passion and dedication to the cause – namely doing well out on track,” added Trutch.

The 29-strong field was flagged off at 12 noon on Friday at the Kartdrome, and the chequered flag will bring proceedings to an end at 12 noon on Saturday. Live timing for the event can be found here>>>> and photos on the Kartdrome Facebook page here>>>

MATTIACCI: I AM HAPPY TO HAVE BROUGHT VETTEL TO FERRARI

104155054-d02f4501-2dd8-49d6-89dc-3388a0

Marco Mattiacci has broken his silence to suggest Sebastian Vettel was his “parting gift” to Ferrari, sfter just seven months in the job, the Italian has been replaced as Ferrari team boss by the Marlboro executive Maurizio Arrivabene.
“My best wishes to him are sincere,” said Mattiacci, as he spoke for the first time since his ousting to the well-known Ferrari insider Leo Turrini. “He [Arrivabene] is a very competent person and I am sure the fans – and I include myself – will get the results they expect.”
On his Quotidiano blog, however, Turunni said the 43-year-old did not want to talk about the details of his departure from Maranello.
“No. And neither do I intend to talk about it in the future,” insisted Mattiacci but did dent that his short Formula 1 adventure had been an unpleasant one.
Sebastian-Vettel-Ferrari-Formel-1-Test-A
“No, you’re wrong,” he said. “It was a period I lived with enthusiasm, in the midst of passionate employees. I do not feel like a failure. I feel like someone who has worked for Ferrari for 15 years, not seven months. And this is a great privilege in life.”
Told, however, that the story did not end well for him, Mattiacci insisted: “I am one of the few people lucky enough to have worked in the service of a special company, and no one can take that away from me. You know the motto — what does not kill you makes you stronger.”
As for what his personal achievements have been at Ferrari, he answered: “I am convinced that a series of small steps will pay off over time. I have seen pictures of Vettel in the Ferrari box for testing in Abu Dhabi and I can say I am happy to have brought him to Maranello where he already brings a new energy, a fresh enthusiasm.”
Asked if Vettel wearing red is Mattiacci’s parting gift to Ferrari, he said: “If you write that, I will not be sorry.”

WILLIAMS CONFIRM WOLFF AS TEST DRIVER FOR 2015

dms1403jy349.jpg

Press Release: Williams is pleased to announce that Susie Wolff will be stepping up to the position of Official Test Driver for Williams Martini Racing for the 2015 Formula 1 season.
In this role Susie will be driving the Williams Mercedes FW37 in two FP1 sessions and two test days during the 2015 Formula One season. She will also be conducting extensive simulator testing to help in the ongoing development of the FW37 and FW38.
This new role builds on Susie’s three seasons as Development Driver for Williams which culminated in driving the FW36 during FP1 at the 2014 British and German Grands Prix. This saw her become the first female driver to drive in a Grand Prix weekend for two decades. The team is currently evaluating a number of drivers to replace Susie as Development Driver.
Speaking about her new role Susie Wolff said: “This is another step in the right direction for me. I am delighted Williams are recognising my progression, hard work and that it is performance that counts. Williams is at a very exciting stage in its history and we are moving into 2015 with fantastic momentum, I’m proud to be part of the team. I’ll be using my position to work closely with Felipe and Valtteri to make sure that the FW37 builds on the strong performance shown by the FW36.”
Claire Williams, Deputy Team Principal of Williams Martini Racing added: “We are delighted to have Susie continuing with the team next season in this new role. She continues to impress us with her strong technical knowledge, the feedback she delivers and the performance when she drives the car both on the track and in the simulator. She has steadily increased her time behind the wheel since she joined us in April 2012 and her appointment as Official Test Driver was a natural progression. We have a very strong and stable driver line-up for 2015 and this will be a key asset as we look to build on a positive 2014 season.”

TORQUE OF V6 ENGINE LIKE STAR WARS SAYS COULTHARD

14149711888_3508d9d3fb_o.jpg

Ex-Formula 1 driver David Coulthard says he was blown away by the performance of this year’s title-winning Mercedes V6 turbo engine.
Recently at Silverstone, the former McLaren and Red Bull driver tried this year’s controversial ‘power unit’ technology for the first time with a turn at the wheel of the 2014 Williams.
The BBC commentator told Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport: “The power and torque of the engine is incredible.
“You hit the gas on the straight and start changing gear every 50 metres,” said the 43-year-old, who contested almost 250 grands prix through the sport’s fabled V10 and V8 eras.
“The world starts flying past you so fast that you feel like you’re in Star Wars,” Coulthard enthused.
“Only the downforce is a bit disappointing,” he added. “We had more in my last year in Formula 1 in 2008.”