FORMULA 1 - 2014

Button: Dad would be livid

Jenson-Button_3233063.jpg

Having contested what could be his last race, Jenson Button says his late father would be "livid" if he knew the way McLaren are treating his son.
Button lined up on the grid in Abu Dhabi on Sunday evening not knowing if that would be his swansong.
The British racer finished an admirable fifth, six places ahead of his team-mate Kevin Magnussen, as he once again demonstrated he still has what it takes.
That, though, may not be enough to prolong his career.
"[My dad] would be livid if he knew my circumstances right now," the 34-year-old told the BBC Sport.
"I haven't got a clue if I will be racing next year. I hope they will make a decision very soon for Kevin and for my sake.
"People have their reasons and I don't have the reasons as to why it takes so long."
However, should Sunday's race prove to have been his last, Button is confident that John, who passed away in January, will be proud of all he has achieved in F1.
He added: "I hope he will be proud but I hope this is not the last time I will be talking to you in F1."

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

Long time McLaren fan and I don't like the way they are treating both their current drivers. Either make up their bloody minds or cut the drivers loose to pursue other options. As it stands, one or both drivers are screwed. Not the classiest move by McLaren.

• Like 1

Long time McLaren fan and I don't like the way they are treating both their current drivers. Either make up their bloody minds or cut the drivers loose to pursue other options. As it stands, one or both drivers are screwed. Not the classiest move by McLaren.

Absolutely agree!!

It's already for one or the other to find a drive in F1 next year, what an absolute load of rubbish. I hear that Ron Dennis may be replaced soon so here's hoping because no doubt he's the prick who's causing this.

ARRIVEDERCI TO MATTIACCI AS ARRIVABENE BECOMES FERRARI F1 BOSS

base14.jpg

Marco Mattiacci’s brief reign as Ferrari Formula 1 principal ended on Monday with the troubled Fiat-owned outfit replacing him with Maurizio Arrivabene, the team’s third boss in nine months.
The Italian joins from sponsor Philip Morris where he held senior positions in marketing and promotions. He is also an independent board member of Juventus soccer club.
Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne said in a statement that the team and Formula One needed “a person with a thorough understanding not just of Ferrari but also of the governance mechanisms and requirements of the sport.
“Maurizio has a unique wealth of knowledge: he has been extremely close to the Scuderia for years and, as a member of the F1 Commission, is also keenly aware of the challenges we are facing,” he added.
“He has been a constant source of innovative ideas focused on revitalisation of Formula One. His managerial experience on a highly complex and closely regulated market is also of great importance.”
Mattiacci, who replaced Stefano Domenicali when the principal resigned in April, was parachuted in from Ferrari North America where he was president and chief executive.
dms1411my04.jpg
He never looked comfortable in the high-profile sporting role, however, while Ferrari’s performance on the track continued to decline.
The glamour team ended the season in Abu Dhabi without a single race win, for the first time since 1993, and the conclusion of the campaign also saw the departure of double world champion Fernando Alonso.
Germany’s four-times champion Sebastian Vettel has been signed from Red Bull as the Spaniard’s replacement.
Ferrari have also had upheaval at the very top with the enforced departure of long-serving president Luca Di Montezemolo, a link with the team’s late founder Enzo, last month. He has been replaced by Fiat Chrysler chief executive Marchionne.
Arrivabene ensures Ferrari have a Formula One insider at the helm at a time when the sport faces considerable financial challenges with two small teams plunging into administration and fears that others could follow.
There are calls to reduce the price of the new V6 turbo engines and also for a more even distribution of revenues currently heavily skewed towards big teams like Ferrari, the sport’s oldest and most successful outfit.
Arrivabene has represented all sponsors on the Formula One Commission since 2010, a role that means he is well acquainted with the sport’s commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone.
attachment_93629.jpg
Maurizio Arrivabene with Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Full Ferrari statement:
Ferrari is pleased to announce the appointment of Maurizio Arrivabene as Managing Director of Gestione Sportiva and as Team Principal of Scuderia Ferrari, replacing Marco Mattiacci.
Mr Arrivabene comes to Ferrari from Philip Morris, which he joined in 1997 after a 20 years career in marketing and promotions in Italy and abroad. Maurizio Arrivabene has held a variety of posts in Philip Morris, leading up to his appointment in 2007 as Vice President of Marlboro Global Communication & Promotions for Philip Morris International and, in 2011, as Vice President Consumer Channel Strategy and Event Marketing. He has been an independent member of the board of Juventus FC since 2012 also. From 2011 to 2012 he has been a member of the Sport Business Academy (SDA Bocconi School of Management and RCS Sport), in the Advisory Team Program.
Throughout his time with Philip Morris, Maurizio Arrivabene has been closely involved in the partnership with Ferrari both in Maranello and on the world’s racing circuits. He has also represented all Formula One sponsors on the F1 Commission since 2010.
“We decided to appoint Maurizio Arrivabene because, at this historic moment in time for the Scuderia and for Formula 1, we need a person with a thorough understanding not just of Ferrari but also of the governance mechanisms and requirements of the sport,” commented Ferrari Chairman Sergio Marchionne.
“Maurizio has a unique wealth of knowledge: he has been extremely close to the Scuderia for years and, as a member of the F1 Commission, is also keenly aware of the challenges we are facing. He has been a constant source of innovative ideas focused on revitalisation of Formula One. His managerial experience on a highly complex and closely regulated market is also of great importance, and will help him manage and motivate the team. I am delighted to have been able to secure his leadership for our racing activities”.
“We would also like to thank Marco Mattiacci for his service to Ferrari in the last 15 years and we wish him well in his future endeavours” concluded Mr Marchionne.
MIKA: I can't believe Ferrari removed Domenicalli for Mattiacci. This clearly demonstrates that the issues are far higher than the team principal. IMO they made a BIG mistake removing Domenicalli. Hoping Maurizio Arrivabene does well for the team and brand. Would be great to see Ferrari a title contender, makes the championship interesting when you have a few teams battling for the title.
  • Like 1

HAMILTON: I CELEBRATED WITH A WATERMELON JUICE

Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Prix-Abu-Dhabi-d

Graham Hill would doubtlessly have done it differently, and where James Hunt might have staggered dishevelled into the morning after the night before, probably clutching bottles in both hands on the way to bed, Lewis Hamilton celebrated his second Formula 1 title on Monday with bright eyes and a spring in his step.
A glass of watermelon juice, and a few sips of “some kind of Cognac thing”, was sufficient carousing for Britain’s first multiple champion since Jackie Stewart. One of only four Britons, including the late Hill, to have won the title twice, Hamilton said his achievement had yet to sink in.
“I feel fresh, I only had one drink last night, which is more than good enough for me,” the Mercedes driver told a breakfast news conference.
“I don’t drink Champagne. I had a watermelon juice at dinner, which is my favourite. Then when I was at the party there was some kind of Cognac thing… but it didn’t taste very nice. So I had a couple of sips and that was it. I knew I had to be up early as well.”
If the early hour was not greeted with universal delight, there were no complaints from the man of the moment.
F1AbuDhabi2014_JK1654815-001-706x640.jpg
“It’s definitely an incredible feeling to wake up this morning feeling fresh in my surroundings and with all the different people who have been involved in my career over 21 years,” he enthused. “The sun is shining and I feel really blessed.”
His mobile had gone crazy, the texts and emails flooding in, and he promised to answer them all.
The first champion for a Mercedes works team since Argentine Juan Manuel Fangio in 1955, Hamilton said he spent the evening with family, just reminiscing about the journey they had been on.
Hamilton, winner of 11 races this season, recalled his early karting days, sitting by a gas heater drinking chicken soup from a flask, and the sacrifices his father had made.
“Then I popped out to the party, and Toto was all over the place at that point,” laughed Hamilton, Wolff sitting alongside with a pained expression.
Beaten team mate Nico Rosberg had Tweeted after the race that “now it’s time to fight for the party world championship”. The German, elsewhere on Monday, seemed to have won the battle. Hamilton was happy to let that one go at least.
  • Like 1

BBC CLAIM HIGHEST VIEWERSHIP FOR ABU DHABI GP

Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Prix-Abu-Dhabi-T

Lewis Hamilton’s victory in Abu Dhabi saw the BBC achieve its highest Formula 1 viewing figures of the 2014 Formula 1 world championship season.
A peak audience of 6.5 million vewers and an average 4.7 million viwers tuned in to see Hamilton win his second F1 world title. Earlier in the season the Canadian Grand Prix had a peak audience of 5.2 million viewers and an average 4.6 million.
The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – the 19th and final race of the season offering double points – also claimed a peak share of 42%.

Lowe frustrated by Rosberg reliability issues

d13bel1489.jpg

Despite their 2014 domination, the reliability issues have Paddy Lowe frustrated.

Mercedes F1 technical chief Paddy Lowe admits that the team has been frustrated by this year's reliability problems, which struck again in the Abu Dhabi GP.
“It wasn't the ideal race for us, as we would have liked a one-two,” he told Motorsport.com. “We came into the race with a target of a one-two, and we told Nico that, even if it had meant Lewis had won the championship anyway.
Explaining Rosberg's failure
“There was a failure in the cooling system for the hybrid systems, and that was the thing that caused everything to fall apart around it. That was the core of the problem, and it cascaded into a number of other issues. Everything is linked together – the turbo isn't working very well, and so on. Different things were coming in and out.
“I think if we stand back and analyse the season as a whole we weren't as reliable as we should have been, but actually the unreliability fell quite equitably in the end. But overall, great to win the race itself. It takes us to 16 wins, and it was great for Lewis.”
A fantastic season nonetheless
Summarising the team's phenomenal 2014 campaign he said: “I think it's been the most fantastic season, and we just wanted to finish it in a nice way, and that's what's been done. Of course Nico won't particularly feel like that, but he's been an absolutely fantastic sport, very respectful to Lewis and the team. Great credit to him for that, I think it must be quite difficult for him. He won the inaugural pole position trophy, and that's no mean feat.
“This last part of the season they have both driven exceptionally well. It's the closing part, where you're under pressure, that really counts, and it's most difficult to keep it together. Both of them have shown themselves to be capable World Champions, and that gives promise to Nico for the future.
“You can't take anything for granted over the winter in F1. We just have to do our best and see where we turn up next year.”

Grosjean admits he's glad to see back of '14 season

grosjean-2014-_79P0639.jpg

Romain Grosjean says he's glad the 2014 season has finally finished after enduring his worst ever season in which he scored just eight points.
That compares with the Frenchman's success the year before when he scored 132 points and claimed six podiums.
"We did the best we could here," Grosjean said after finishing 13th. "My race wasn't that eventful and I think that we are all glad that the season is now over.
"I am already looking forward to being in the simulator to test the E23. We have a new Power Unit and aerodynamically next year's car is looking like a great step forward.
"Now it is time to take a break, recharge our batteries and look forward to 2015."
Team-mate Pastor Maldonado shares Grosjean's view after a fiery end to his season in Abu Dhabi which saw him retire from the race on lap 26.
"Unfortunately, my race had to end early," said the Venezuelan.
"The flames showed the engine wasn't working too well which also meant it was getting quite hot in the car!
"It is a shame to finish a season like we did, but I know we have a lot of potential for 2015, so I am really looking forward to surprising some people when we return."

Video: Hamilton and Button attempt donuts in Abu Dhabi

Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button both had reason to make some noise and please the crowd in Abu Dhabi. The former, having won the title and the race, whilst the latter might have just competed in his last ever Formula 1 race.

Check out the above video as they both complete some donuts, sort of, but no matter the crowd love a bit of smoke regardless.

DENNIS: MCLAREN BOARD WILL DECIDE 2015 DRIVERS

Ron-Dennis-F1-Grand-Prix-Germany-Qualify

The Formula 1 futures of Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen will be discussed by the McLaren board in early December, group head Ron Dennis has said.
Dennis said after Sunday’s season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix that decisions about the team’s 2015 driver line-up would not be his alone.
“It wouldn’t be appropriate. Any decision has got to be supported by shareholders and board,” the Briton, who also owns a stake in the company, told Reuters. “Whatever the decision, it won’t be taken until then.”
Button, the 2009 world champion and most experienced driver on the 2014 grid after making his debut in 2000, is out of contract at the end of the year with Spaniard Fernando Alonso set to join from Ferrari.
While Ferrari have confirmed the double world champion has made his last appearance for them, McLaren have yet to confirm he is joining even if it is considered an open secret in the paddock.
Ron-Dennis-F1-Grand-Prix-Great-Britain-s
That leaves Button and Danish rookie Magnussen fighting for the remaining seat. The Briton recognised before Sunday’s race at Yas Marina that it may have been his last, even if he hoped to be back next year.
“A lot of people have asked me is it any different, thinking it might be my last race, but not really,” he said after finishing fifth while Magnussen was 11th.
“You go into every race with the same mindset, to do the best you can. It’s when you see your family and friends look at you in a different way, it makes you a little bit emotional.”
“When I walked into the garage before the race it was tough because all the mechanics are ready for the man-hugs and that was really tough. And you could see in their faces,” added the 34-year-old.
Button said he had no plans for what he would do if he did not get a contract extension, “The contract runs out at the end of December. I will be in contact with the guys.”
“I talked to Ron after the race, like I do after every race, but still no news. We’ll see in a few days. I’ve given it my all, that’s all I can do,” concluded Button.

LAUDA: NICO WILL FIGHT BACK

motor_lauda.jpg

Niki Lauda expects Nico Rosberg to recover from the blow of losing his Formula One title duel with Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton by coming back even more determined next year.
“Nico will fight back and Nico has the potential upwards,” the team’s non-executive chairman said after power unit problems at the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix dashed Rosberg’s outside hopes.
“There is still something to come out of his speed and performance and technical inputs he gives. So next year’s going to be fun again between the two. And I hope nobody else will interfere.”
Rosberg ended the year with five wins to Hamilton’s 11 but challenged the Briton right to the very end of a season that at one point seemed to have damaged their friendship irreparably.
M146418.jpg
However, they shook hands and embraced after Sunday’s race, with both saying complimentary things about the other.
“Lewis and Nico from lap to lap from the beginning of the season pushed each other,” Lauda, himself a triple champion, told reporters.
“The most important is that both drivers developed the car with their driving style…everything we did was absolutely the same for both of them and therefore we have gone so quick.”
Despite the sportsmanship shown in Abu Dhabi, and signs that the drivers’ relationship had entered a new phase, Lauda was sure the tensions would remain.
Nico-Rosberg-Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Pri
Tension between Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton were palpable all season long
“I never liked [Alain] Prost, I never liked [Clay] Regazzoni, I never liked [John] Watson when it came down to racing, so this is normal,” he said of his former teammates.
“But there is a certain respect of each other,” he added. “It’s going to be easier next year because they respect each other on their level of performance.”
Lauda was key to persuading Hamilton to leave McLaren at the end of 2012, when Mercedes was still something of a gamble and some pundits were suggesting the 2008 champion should stay put.
The Austrian said that made him especially proud, “Two and a half years ago I asked him to leave McLaren and come to Mercedes.”
“I said ‘I am going to guarantee you a world championship’. And second year driving here, here it is. So I am happy because I didn’t break my promises.”

NO NUMBER ONE FOR HAMILTON WHO WANTS TO KEEP #44

Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Prix-Abu-Dhabi-0

Newly crowned 2014 Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton wants to keep his personal race number 44 next year rather than switch to the champion’s number one plate which traditionally is used by a reigning world title holder.
But a change early in 2014, copying the system in MotoGP, meant drivers were able to pick their own number between 2 and 99 to keep for the rest of their careers.
Having run the number 1 throughout the season, outgoing world champion Vettel will now revert to his chosen number 5 to take to Ferrari in 2015.
Mercedes‘ Hamilton has run 44, and even has the number tattooed behind his right ear.
“44 is my number,” the Briton said this week, after securing his second career drivers’ title last weekend in Abu Dhabi. “I won my first championship with 44 in karting so I’ll ask the team if I can keep it on my car now. Whether the one is on my car or not is not important to me.”
British media sources are reporting that Hamilton is close to securing a new $30 million per season deal with Mercedes that could keep him at the team until 2020.
Already with a contract for 2015, the dotted line may go unsigned until he has appointed a new management team in the coming months, but he told reporters on Monday that the 2016 contract is “a formality”.
“I haven’t made any decisions of how you go about it, but I currently have a great contract. Ultimately I think not a huge amount will change,” said Hamilton.
On Monday, it also seemed as though team boss Toto Wolff was not ready to negotiate the new deal anyway, having partied deep into Sunday night.
“Definitely for me it [negotiate a contract] would not be the best thing for me to do,” the Austrian joked, while Hamilton revealed that he drank mainly watermelon juice to celebrate his title.

DENNIS: YOU CAN REBUILD A MARRIAGE, MAKING IT STRONGER THAN BEFORE

fernando-alonso-ja-ron-dennis-nurburgrin

Even McLaren supremo Ron Dennis is now beginning to hint that Fernando Alonso is set to return to the Woking stable where in late 2007, the Spaniard left the team amid acrimony and the Spygate furore, a reunion even years later appeared impossible.
But the impossible now appears to be fact, with Alonso almost certainly having already signed a deal and McLaren deciding only the identity of his teammate for the Honda-powered 2015 season.
“From what I read,” said Alonso in Abu Dhabi, “I’m not the most pleasant person to work with, but the bottom line is that I can usually go back to a team where I worked before.”
Even Briton Dennis is now hinting that the most unpleasant of racing divorces does not mean the parties cannot reunite in the future, “Let me tell you my interpretation because I know where you’re going.
fernando-alonso-mclarenissa-vuonna-2007.
“We live in a world in which marriage is a big commitment, but sometimes it doesn’t work out, but the truth is that sometimes, when you try to rebuild your marriage, you end up making it much stronger than it was before,” mused the McLaren boss.
Dennis said a final decision about the team’s 2015 lineup will not be taken until a board meeting in December. As reported here>>>
It appears likely Alonso’s teammate will eventually be the young Dane Kevin Magnussen, with veteran Jenson Button apparently farewelling McLaren on Twitter by saying “it’s been a pleasure to call McLaren my home for the last five years”.
McLaren junior Stoffel Vandoorne will drive McLaren’s Honda-powered interim car at the Abu Dhabi test on Tuesday and Wednesday.

RICCIARDO: VETTEL HAS GREAT PASSION FOR FERRARI

Sebastian-Vettel-Daniel-Ricciardo-F1-Gra

Daniel Ricciardo, the new defacto number one driver at Red Bull, says he can understand why Sebastian Vettel is heading to Ferrari.
It has been suggested that, after winning four titles on the trot, Vettel could not cope with being comprehensively beaten by team newcomer Ricciardo in 2014.
But Australian Ricciardo is not sure it is quite as simple as that, even though “the team duel probably didn’t make Sebastian’s decision any harder”.
“He didn’t have the year he wanted,” Ricciardo also told Sport Bild. “But we mustn’t lose sight of reality either. He has won four world championships with Red Bull. Would a fifth with Red Bull be as satisfying as one with a new team?”
“I know how great his passion is for Ferrari,” Ricciardo explained. “Not just with Formula 1 but also the road cars. He is a fan of the brand and its products. So I think it would have happened sooner or later.”
dcd1322se519.jpg
The fact that it has come sooner for Vettel, however, means he is arriving at Maranello amid great turmoil.
Stefano Domenicali, Luca di Montezemolo and now even Fernando Alonso and Marco Mattiacci have all fled during the course of a disappointing 2014 in red.
The turmoil moved Ferrari’s new president Sergio Marchionne to seek to reassure the team’s staff in a letter this week that was leaked to Italy’s Autosprint.
“I understand your disappointment at the end of a season that we would all like to forget,” he wrote. “But, as often happens in life, it is the dark moments that push us into phases of renewal and rebirth, so today we have the opportunity to start a new chapter in the sports history of Ferrari.”
Marchionne said Vettel is the right choice to replace Alonso, and not just because “Sebastian and Kimi (Raikkonen) are united by a great friendship in life”.
“We all know how important it is at this time to have a healthy team spirit,” he added, “coming from people who believe strongly in the project and want to share their commitment, sacrifices and achievements.”
Marchionne warned that the road faced by Ferrari beginning in 2015 “will not be short nor easy”, but that change “should not be feared”.
“Progress is made by those who decide to break habits and choose not to be the result of the past, but one of the causes of the future”, he concluded.

MCLAREN: WE HAD ISSUES BUT AT LEAST THE HONDA ENGINE FIRED UP

F1-Testing-Abu-Dhabi-Day-One-vAiJkKQ9Lf-

Tuesday – 25 November 2014 – was a historic occasion for both McLaren and Honda – as it was the first proper run for the interim MP4-29H/1X1, the chassis developed to test Honda’s new V6 turbo engine and undertake various systems checks ahead of 2015.
An electronics issue meant the car spent the morning in the garage, but it broke cover soon after lunch, with test and development driver Stoffel Vandoorne conducting a number of exploratory installation runs throughout the afternoon.
He was halted on a couple of occasions by a fuel/data exchange issue – the second of which left him stranded on the circuit, causing a red flag.
Nonetheless, the first day of running was positive, as it’s enabled the team to begin its trouble-shooting programme well ahead of the first test of 2015, which takes place at Jerez in early February.
Eric Boullier, McLaren racing director: “Running a modern Formula 1 car is a very complicated procedure – and this week’s test is all about how the departments at Sakura, Milton Keynes and Woking learn to work with the operational hub at the circuit.”
“This test is an opportunity for us to build up that operational strength; to get McLaren and Honda working together under the same roof. We encountered a number of issues, including a lengthy check of electrical installations this morning, but it’s satisfying to see that we got the engine fired up, the car out of the garage, and some laps on the board in the afternoon.”
“We’re not chasing lap times this week, it’s just about gradually expanding our knowledge. [Day two] will hopefully be all about conducting longer runs as we learn about different parts of the engine, and run through each separate system.”
Yasuhisa Arai, Honda R&D senior managing officer and chief officer of motorsport: “This week’s test is really all about performing some fundamental systems checks on the engine before we begin testing in earnest next February.”
“When I was at Jerez earlier this year, I noticed just how many issues the teams faced in readying these turbo engines, so we really wanted to get those initial checks under our belts before winter testing starts in 2015.”
“The engine we used today is still under development – it’s not for the actual race – and we’re on schedule to develop it further ahead of the forthcoming season. There are a few more steps coming before Australia. We’re making good progress for the new season as one team.”
Stoffel Vandoorne, test & development driver: “Firstly, I want to say that wearing Honda’s famous ‘H’ logo on the chest of my overalls and team kit makes me feel extremely proud. Before today, McLaren Honda had only existed to me as a chapter in F1 history – to actually become part of it is very exciting.”
“We’d hoped to get a few more laps under our belts today, but we had a fuel data-logging issue that stopped the car a couple of times. However, the team are already analysing the situation and we’ll hopefully cure it ahead of tomorrow.”
“Nevertheless, it’s been a very positive day for us. At this stage of development, any lap we complete has a benefit – and it’s better to be solving these initial teething problems in November rather than in Jerez next February. I’ve already given the team some useful feedback.”
“The purpose of this test is to enable the engineers to deepen their knowledge of the McLaren and Honda collaboration. This is their first time working together at the track, and – operationally – it’s all a bit different.”
“We’re still building up the power – we haven’t run the engine at full power yet – so it’s difficult to get a feeling for it, but it sounds absolutely fantastic! People often say that if an engine sounds good, then it usually has lots of power – so let’s hope that’s the case!”

YAS MARINA TEST DAY 1: TEAMS AND DRIVERS QUOTES

F1-Testing-Abu-Dhabi-Day-One-zNfpKGFmrDc

Drivers and teams report from day one of Formula 1 testing at Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi.

Williams

Rod Nelson, Chief Test and Support Engineer: We had a very busy day predominantly testing the Pirelli tyres for next year. There is a new rear construction and the supersoft is a new compound and we are happy with the progress we have made so far. We have also tested a few systems for the FW37 and again, they were successful. We completed a busy programme and look forward to our final day of 2014 running tomorrow with Felipe Nasr.

Valtteri Bottas: It was a good day overall and I really enjoyed it. Everything went to plan and we completed the programme we had planned. It was interesting to try the new Pirelli tyres against the old, we felt a few differences and that is knowledge that we will take forward for next year. The tyre degradation is a lot more consistent so Pirelli has done a good job with the new compound. We got some positive results from the systems we are testing for next year as well. It was a fun way to end the season. The FW36 has been a great car and a really good platform to build next year’s car from. I have a lot of faith that we can continue to move forward and improve, I am looking forward to getting next season underway now.

Red Bull

Carlos Sainz Jr enjoyed a busy outing at the Yas Marina Circuit as the final test of 2014 got underway in Abu Dhabi. The 20-year-old was awarded a test day with Infiniti Red Bull Racing for winning this year’s Formula Renault 3.5 title and the series’ youngest ever winner impressed with 100 laps at the wheel of the RB10 and the day’s fifth quickest time.

Carlos Sainz Jr: “For me it was an incredible day, a day that I’ve been thinking about since I started the Formula Renault 3.5 season, knowing that this was the prize. So it was always in my mind and to finally make it happen was an incredible feeling. It felt really good to be honest. Obviously I had a reference from the test at Silverstone last year in the RB9 and I could build up little by little, as it was a long day and I think I did 100 laps. From the first lap I felt comfortable and felt at home, so I was able to push. There were no problems at all even though it was an extensive programme. The morning was all about data gathering but in the afternoon I was able to push a bit more, so it was fun.”

Race Engineering Co-ordinator Andy Damerum added: “A very busy day in which I think we got through a total of 26 outings. Some of those were obviously conditional on the red flags we saw today, but Carlos got through 100 laps, which is great for a rookie. He tested for us at Silverstone last year and since then he’s been in our simulator. His feedback is excellent and I think he has improved again over the past year. He’s obviously familiar with our car in the virtual world but it’s always a very different prospect on track and today he handled that really well. We had a lot of tyres to play with today and testing the 2015 prototype tyres was very valuable. As with everyone else, there were a number of 2015 test items on the car and a lot going on too in terms of updated software and background tests. I’m happy to say we had no major issues and we got through a lot of kilometres. Daniel will be in the car tomorrow and the programme will be largely similar.”

Force India

Jolyon Palmer enjoyed his first opportunity in a Formula One car today as he worked with Sahara Force India at Yas Marina for the first day of testing.

Jolyon Palmer: “I really enjoyed my first experience at the wheel of a Formula One car. I always had the ambition to drive a Formula One car: it was surreal when I first got out of the pits, but after the first moment I was just focusing on getting the job done for the team and doing my best. Despite a few technical issues early on, in the end we managed to get back on track and have a solid hour of running, getting up to speed fairly quickly. What really stood out for me is the power delivery of a Formula One car, compared to what I am used to in GP2: I heard lots about it all year, but to actually experience it first hand, feeling it as I drove was impressive. Knowing the track in advance helps only a little as you get to the various corners and drive through them at completely different speeds to what you are used to; but not having to get to know the layout made it possible to just concentrate on our testing programme. I have learnt a lot working with the team, seeing how everyone operates, and I am really happy about today’s experience. Sahara Force India is a team that gives young drivers good chances and I would love to get a role with them. They developed Paul Di Resta into a good racer, created a meaningful FP1 programme for Jules Bianchi and generally do a really good work with their reserve drivers.”

Tom McCullough, Chief Engineer: “It’s always exciting being part of a driver’s first day driving a Formula One car and Jolyon certainly acquitted himself well. He settled into the team very quickly and everyone was impressed with his approach to the day, especially his communication with the engineers. The early part of the day involved some aero data collection, which went to plan and should give us some useful information for the design of next year’s car. It was a shame that we suffered an issue with the engine towards the end of the morning, which confined us to the garage for a large part of the day. The crew did a good job to get the car out for the final hour of running to give Jolyon some more valuable mileage.”

Ferrari

Kimi Raikkonen was at the wheel of the F14 T for the first day of a two day test at the Yas Marina Circuit.

In the morning, the team worked on fine tuning some different aerodynamic and mechanical configurations, concentrating on set-up work. The afternoon programme featured a series of short and long distance runs, while working on systems management, as well as an initial evaluation of the 2015 version of the Pirelli tyres.

“It was a normal day of testing” Kimi told www.ferrari.com. “With more running time and more tyres to work with, we managed to try various solutions without having any problems. Testing next season’s tyres produced positive results, but will have to wait to try them on the new car in winter testing, to get an in depth understanding of their behaviour.”

Testing continues for a final day at this circuit tomorrow. Taking to the track for Scuderia Ferrari will be Raffaele Marciello, the Ferrari Driver Academy driver, making his debut at the wheel of the F14 T.

Mercedes

[The team] began the final test of 2014 at the Yas Marina Circuit today, with Nico Rosberg taking the wheel of the F1 W05 Hybrid for the first of two days’ running this week. Nico’s best time of 1:44.512 from 114 laps put him third on the time sheets.

• Tuesday’s programme focussed on aero testing, 2015 Pirelli tyres, system checks and set-up work
  • The team was also able to test some new parts for the 2015 regulations
  • Pirelli’s new medium and soft compound dry tyres were both tested during the day’s running
  • Nico emerged for his first run at 09:00 local time, with his car running problem free all day
  • Mercedes-Benz Power Units today completed a total of 1,277 km between all teams

Nico Rosberg: “Today was good; we were looking at the tyres for next year mainly. That was a useful experience, looking at a lot of the set up for the new tyres as it could be quite different. It’s always interesting to test the car here in such great conditions so that worked well. It was great to get back into the car again today and to do as many laps as we did is positive. You can see we’re already testing parts for 2015, so I’m already looking forward to it. I will go away and reflect on a great season for the team with this incredible car and aim to come back even stronger for next year.”

Sauber

During the first day of testing in Abu Dhabi, Marcus Ericcson drove the C33 for the first time. The Sauber F1 Team worked on aerodynamic measurements and also focused on testing different tyres. Although, there were minor issues, Marcus went through the planned programme and finished the first day of testing with short runs. The Swede completed a total of 95 laps.

Paul Russell, Test Engineer: “It was a good day, although in the afternoon we had some technical issues, and in general there were many red flags but it did not affect our programme massively. It was good to start working with Marcus, and it was important for him to drive the C33, start the process of working together and also to learn the car. We got quite a lot of aero work done today, and collected a lot of valuable data. Besides that, we also had a first look into the tyres for the 2015 season. Overall it was quite a mixed programme. It was an interesting day.”

Marcus Ericsson: “It was a great day. I did a lot of laps which was the main thing to get used to the car and get to start to work with the team. I am really happy with that. It was a good first day. We focused mainly on aero work for 2015 and also on tyre comparisons. I think everyone is satisfied, and I am also happy about my first laps in the C33.”

Toro Rosso

Two days after the final race of the season, Scuderia Toro Rosso and other Formula 1 teams were in action again, for the start of the final two day test of the 2014 season. Driving both days for us is Max Verstappen, who was having his first taste of driving on the Yas Marina track.

Phil Charles (Chief Race Engineer) “It was an interesting day today, as we ran with the new 2015 tyres. Unfortunately in the morning we got minimum running due to a suspension issue, which caused Max to run wide in turn 19 and crash into the barrier. The car was damaged and it took the whole morning to fix it, before we were able to get it back on track. However, despite this, it was a productive day. In the afternoon we concentrated on long run comparisons between 2014 and 2015 tyres and we have already learnt quite a bit in this area, but there is still a lot to do. We will now put together a programme for tomorrow, based on what we learned today.”

Max Verstappen: “Unfortunately we didn’t get much running in the morning, but in the afternoon we carried out very useful long runs, which helped me with my understanding of how to manage the tyres. To be able to run the car for a longer period than just an hour and a half, which is all I had done so far when running in the FP1 sessions, was definitely a good experience and lap by lap, I got more used to the car. I’m looking forward to getting another day in the car tomorrow, to go on with the programme we started today.”

Lotus

Charles Pic opened the first day of the Abu Dhabi test for Lotus F1 Team by completing 89 laps during the course of aerodynamic assessments and tyre evaluations at Yas Marina Circuit. Charles conducted comparisons between Pirelli’s 2014 and 2015 specification tyres as well as collecting aerodynamic data focused on next year’s car, the E23-Hybrid.

Charles Pic: “Of course it’s always fantastic to get back into a Formula 1 car and it was a good day today. We ran through the programme required and I could definitely feel the difference in the car compared to when I last drove it at Silverstone. It was interesting to get a taste of the 2015 tyres. They don’t feel massively different from this year’s, but I did feel an improvement in terms of traction. I’m glad I was able to complete so many laps reliably and carry out the team’s planned programme fully.”

Alan Permane, Trackside Operations Director: “It was a solid day of testing for us with numerous aerodynamic evaluations completed, all assisting in our developments for the future. We also had the opportunity to run the 2015 specification Pirelli tyres which provide us with good data for developments back at Enstone. Charles jumped back in the car and gave us everything we wanted from him today. Tomorrow will be interesting as we will run two highly talented young drivers, with Esteban Ocon running for the morning session and Alex Lynn in the afternoon.”

Caterham

Will Stevens: “Today’s been a really good day, I’m very pleased with myself. We got through everything we needed to do and we completed more than 100 laps, which is excellent not only for me to get more mileage under my belt but also to show that the car is reliable. Overall we got close to the pace we had in qualifying at the weekend. My last run got compromised a bit because of the red flag, but it’s been a very good day. I feel completely different in the car now – every time I leave the garage I know exactly what I need to do, where everything is and I’m much more confident than at the beginning of the race weekend. I feel very comfortable and I can now focus 100% on the driving side of things. It’s been a very useful day for me and the team and I can’t wait to do it all over again tomorrow.”

Gianluca Pisanello, CaterhamF1 Team Head of Engineering Operations: “It’s been a very useful first day of testing here at the Yas Marina circuit. We were able to follow the programme as planned and Will did a very solid job, completing many laps and providing the team with valuable feedback while gaining experience. It was also very interesting to test the 2015 Pirelli tyres for the first time and compare them to this year’s and the data we already have from the season that ended on Sunday. Trouble-free days like today are always what the engineers hope for at a test; let’s hope for the same tomorrow.”

YAS MARINA TEST DAY 1: BOTTAS TOPS AS MCLAREN HONDA FLOPS

Valtteri-Bottas-F1-Testing-Abu-Dhabi-Day

Valtteri Bottas topped the timesheets in both morning and afternoon sessions for the first day of post-season testing at Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina Circuit on Tuesday.
The day got off to a quiet start, with times set by only three drivers in the first 90 minutes of running. The highlight of the morning was expected to be the first real running from the interim McLaren-Honda, known as the MP4-29H/1X1, but electrical issues delayed the car’s debut in the hands of test driver Stoffel Vandoorne.
Speaking to the press in a mid-morning briefing, McLaren team principal Eric Boullier explained that caution was the Woking racers’ priority in this early stage. Full report here>>>
While McLaren were completing their checks there were two red flags that brought a halt to the action on track. Not long into the day’s running Max Verstappen suffered a suspension failure in his Toro Rosso that led to the Dutch racer crashing at Turn 19; Jolyon Palmer later stopped on track when his Force India suffered unspecified problems with the power unit.
At the end of the morning’s running it was Bottas who had set the fastest time, a 1m43.884s effort that saw him top of the standings in a session where the focus was on aerodynamic and tyre tests, not out-and-out pace.
28177.3.jpg
Not a good start to McLaren Honda era
Sebastian Vettel spent the day in the Ferrari garage, getting to know his new team and keeping tabs on Kimi Raikkonen’s progress over the radio. The quadruple champion remains under contract to Red Bull until the end of the year, and will not have a chance to drive for his new employers until the 2015 pre-season tests get underway in Jerez.
After the mandatory lunch break testing resumed, and the McLaren-Honda was able to break cover. But it was an unsatisfactory session for test driver Vandoorne, who was unable to set a time and instead had to settle for a number of incomplete installation laps as the team attempted to get to grips with the new power unit.
Vandoorne’s first installation lap saw the Belgian coast into the pits without power, while his second attempt led to the penultimate red flag of the afternoon when the MP429H/1X1 stopped on track.
Another man who saw reduced running on Tuesday was Palmer, who completed a scant 37 laps following his morning power unit problems. Force India were able to get the Briton back out on track in the last hour, and when the car was working Palmer was able to show decent pace, his 1m44.516s lap making him the fastest driver without a full-time F1 seat.
F1-Testing-Abu-Dhabi-Day-One-F8FLcuFVdie
Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel watching proceedings at Yas Marina

Nico Rosberg completed an epic 144 laps of Yas Marina over the course of the day, with the German taking the opportunity to begin his 2015 campaign as early as possible.

“I started my 2015 season today,” he said. “It was a good learning day – we tested the tyres for next year, so there was a lot to learn. We had an amazing season, but it´s always possible to improve the car and even myself as a driver. That´s the beauty of the sport and next year I’m going to be even stronger.

“It has not easy to be back on the car after Sunday, but after about 20 laps I found my rhythm again and it was fun. We have so few tests in F1 nowadays that every day counts, so there was no point in not testing today even after the disappointment of Sunday. It was good because when we go to winter testing the team has its own programme to follow, so I cannot use the time for myself and for the things I need to learn.”

Testing continues on Wednesday at Yas Marina Circuit.

Unofficial Tuesday times from Abu Dhabi:

1. Valtteri Bottas, Williams, 1m 43.396s, 80 laps
  2. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1m 43.888s, 81 laps
  3. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1m 44.512s, 114 laps
  4. Jolyon Palmer, Force India, 1m 45.516s, 37 laps
  5. Carlos Sainz, Red Bull, 1m 45.339s, 100 laps
  6. Will Stevens, Caterham, 1m 45.436s, 102 laps
  7. Charles Pic, Lotus, 1m 46.167s, 89 laps
  8. Marcus Ericsson, Sauber, 1m 46.253s, 95 laps
  9. Max Verstappen, Toro Rosso, 1m 47.194s, 55 laps
  10. Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren, no time, 3 laps

Nico finds his rhythm after heartbreak

nico-rosberg-testing-abu-dhabi_3233591.j

Nico Rosberg admits it wasn't easy to get back into the car after missing out on the title, but says he quickly rediscovered his rhythm and had "fun again".
The German was left heartbroken in Abu Dhabi on Sunday after he was beaten to the 2014 Drivers' crown by his Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton.
Despite the disappointment, he was back in action on the first day of testing at the Yas Marina Circuit on Tuesday.
"It was not easy to be back in the car after Sunday, but after about 20 laps I found my rhythm again and it was fun again," he told ESPNF1. "We have so few tests in F1 nowadays that every day counts, so there was no point in not testing today even after the disappointment of Sunday.
"I started my 2015 season today. It was a good learning day, we tested the tyres for next year, so there was a lot to learn. It was a good day.
"It was good because when we go to winter testing the team has its own program to follow so I cannot use the time for myself and for the things I need to learn."
Rosberg will hand over driving duties to Merc reserve driver Pascal Wehrlein on Wednesday, meaning he is now officially on holiday.
"A lot happened to me this season, but I'm happy that after today my year is finally over and I'm now ready to go on vacations," he said.
"We had an amazing season but it's always possible to improve the car and even myself as a driver. That's the beauty of the sport and next year I'm going to be even stronger."

Todt makes another cost-cutting plea

jean-todt-fia_3233485.jpg

Cost-cutting is set to dominate talks at the Strategy Group meeting on Tuesday with FIA president Jean Todt admitting something needs to give to end the current crisis.
The demise of Caterham and Marussia earlier this year reopened the debate about the way Formula 1's income is being distributed with smaller teams Force India, Sauber and Lotus calling for a bigger share of the pie.
As yet, no solution has been found, but the Strategy Group - comprising Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes, McLaren, Williams and Lotus - will meet in Geneva on Tuesday and Todt will table a new range of proposals on how to reduce costs.
"We know Formula One has cost too much money for decades now," the Frenchman said. "There are four main problems in Formula One right now: reducing the costs overall, optimising the show, reducing the power unit costs for the private teams and trying to keep everybody on board.
"We tried in the past with our governance by asking all the teams to reduce costs, not by limiting developments, but limiting the number of parts produced.
"Of the FIA, the commercial rights holder and six (Strategy Group) teams I was the only one who encouraged the list of parts to be reduced and action to be undertaken to reduce costs, but all the others were not in favour.
"Then we spoke about a cost cap, but even Lotus, who say today it (the sport) is too much money and we should have a cost cap, voted against. What can we do?
"So we are going to present again to the different stakeholders of the Strategy Group the same proposals which were refused.
"Do they want a cost cap? Do they want to follow the proposals we have to reduce the costs? We will see."

EX-SCHUMACHER BENETTON FORMULA 1 CAR

Benetton-Ford-Formula-1-Car-1200x794.jpg

It sometimes surprises me how inexpensive it can be to buy a fully functioning Formula 1 car, although I know £240,000 to £300,000 isn’t exactly cheap it also isn’t stupid money for a car that was Nelson Piquet’s last Formula 1 car before it was assigned to a young Martin Brundle and an up and coming German chap by the name of Michael Schumacher.
The Benetton-Ford B191/191B was designed by legendary engineer John Barnard, the man who designed the McLaren MP4, the first of the paddle-shift Ferraris and the Indianapolis 500 winning Chaparral 2K. Interestingly, Barnard-designed cars invariably won at least one race in their first season right the way through his career and his technical brilliance is still evident in modern Formula 1 cars – all of which use technologies first implemented in Formula 1 by the Englishman.
Michael Schumacher is probably the most famous man to have driven this particular car, although both Martin Brundle and Nelson Piquet would come a close joint-2nd. Schumacher scored his first ever podium finish (3rd) in this chassis at the 1992 Mexican Grand Prix in Mexico City and as I mentioned above, Piquet piloted the car in his last ever appearance in a Formula 1 event at the 1991 Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide.
Though Martin Brundle may now be more famous as the voice and face of Formula 1, he raced this chassis in his first ever outing for Benetton at the 1992 South African Grand Prix, he qualified 8th on the grid but was forced to retire due to a transmission failure. This wouldn’t be the only gearbox related issue with the Benetton-Ford B191/191B and it often took a significant amount of fiddling to get the ratios right on race weekends.
The car is powered by the 72-degree Ford HB V8 with a cubic capacity 3,494cc and a compression ratio of 12.0:1, when in full race trim the engine revved to 13,800rpm and developed 730bhp. The advanced carbon-composite monocoque chassis weighs in at 38kg (83.7lbs) and its currently wearing its original paint scheme – doubtless one of the most famous liveries of the ’90s.
If you happen to have £240,000 to £300,000 burning a hole in your trouser pocket and fancy picking up a significant piece of (fully functioning) Formula 1 history you’ll need to make your way to The Bonhams Bond Street Sale on the 30th of November 2014.
Benetton-Ford-Formula-1-Car-12-740x491.j
Benetton-Ford-Formula-1-Car-11-740x491.j
Benetton-Ford-Formula-1-Car-10-740x491.j
Benetton-Ford-Formula-1-Car-9-740x493.jp
Benetton-Ford-Formula-1-Car-8-740x494.jp
Benetton-Ford-Formula-1-Car-7-740x491.jp
Benetton-Ford-Formula-1-Car-6-740x614.jp
Benetton-Ford-Formula-1-Car-5-740x492.jp
Benetton-Ford-Formula-1-Car-4-740x490.jp
Benetton-Ford-Formula-1-Car-3-740x491.jp
Benetton-Ford-Formula-1-Car-2-740x493.jp
Benetton-Ford-Formula-1-Car-1-1480x982.j

VERGNE BIDS AU REVOIR TO TORO ROSSO

Jean-Eric-Vergne-F1-Grand-Prix-Brazil-Pr

Jean Eric Vergne has announced on his official Twitter account that his time with Toro Rosso in Formula 1 is over, ending speculation that he may be retained by the Red Bull owned team to mentor incoming teenager Max Verstappen.
Vergne wrote: “Despite a good season and 22 points, I’ll not drive anymore for Toro Rosso in 2015. Thanks for those years. Let’s go for another big challenge.”
Thus ends Vergne’s three year internship with Toro Rosso. The Frenchman lost out to Daniel Ricciardo when a decision was made to replace Mark Webber in the Red Bull senior team at the end of 2013. Vergne made 58 starts for the Faenza based team, finishing this season in 13th.
As they did for 2012 with Vergne and Ricciardo, after ousting Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso will tackle 2015 with two rookies, with Carlos Sainz favourite to land the drive, with Pierre Gasly and Alex Lynn also candidates to step into Vergne’s vacated seat.
MIKA: Farewell JEV - This is a good example of a talent that had far more potential had he have landed a better drive in anotrher team. Replaced by Rookies for money which is clear considering he scored 22 points which in effect brings money to the Torro Rosso table. The likes of Sauber (Who should be a better team on paper) scored zero points which equates to zero Euros to the team.

MARKO: LEGALLY IT’S NOT OK THAT VETTEL IS ALREADY WITH FERRARI

Sebastian-Vettel-F1-Testing-Abu-Dhabi-Da

Former Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel supposedly breached his contract by hanging out with his new Ferrari team on the first day of testing at Yas Marina Circuit on Tuesday
Just days after his last Grand Prix with Red Bull, the quadruple world champion on Tuesday appeared in the Ferrari garage at the Abu Dhabi test, albeit wearing plain clothes.
But he talked with engineers including Pat Fry, and donned a set of Ferrari headphones as he tuned in to the test action involving his 2015 teammate and friend Kimi Raikkonen.
The German expressed frustration last week when Red Bull denied him the chance to test the Maranello-built 2014 car at this week’s post-race test at Yas Marina.
Sebastian-Vettel-F1-Testing-Abu-Dhabi-Da
“The (Red Bull) engineers suddenly panicked that I will take all these secrets to Ferrari,” he had said.
Vettel’s retaliation may have been starting his non-driving work at Ferrari ahead of time, but Helmut Marko pointed out that it is technically a breach of contract.
“Legally, it’s not ok,” the Red Bull official told Auto Bild, “but I couldn’t care less.”
That is probably because Vettel has long been excluded from the details of Red Bull’s plans for 2015.
“Of course there is information in terms of future development that normally would have been available to a driver,” team boss Christian Horner told Servus TV this week.
“Formula 1 is such a competitive business that there is information that you (a driver) can take to another team,” he added. “But Sebastian is very professional, so I don’t think he asked us too many questions about the new car.”

ALONSO TAKES A SWIPE AT FERRARI’S MARLBORO MAN SHAKEUP

Fernando-Alonso-F1-Grand-Prix-Abu-Dhabi-

Former Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso has wasted no time in strongly distancing himself from Maranello, where he spent the past five seasons as the team’s number one driver.
On Tuesday, the Spaniard appeared to be openly laughing at the Maranello team’s latest managerial shakeup, after Ferrari split with team boss Marco Mattiacci.
Alonso retweeted a photo showing him grinning broadly as his friend Flavio Briatore posed with an unlit cigarette in his mouth and an open Marlboro packet as they dined in a restaurant.
It was obviously a reference to the ‘Marlboro Man’, as Mattiacci’s successor is Mauruzio Arrivabene, until now a branding executive for Philip Morris.
Not only that, it seems that at some point after the chequered flag waved in Abu Dhabi last Sunday, Alonso symbolically unfollowed the Ferrari team on Twitter.
B3TjSymCMAAXj7b.jpg
Meanwhile, although he was photographed in plain clothes in the Ferrari garage on Tuesday, Alonso’s successor Sebastian Vettel was reportedly unhappy with the Italian team on his first day of work at the Abu Dhabi test.
That is because when asked by Sport Bild what he thought of Mattiacci’s departure, Vettel appeared to have not been told the news first-hand.
“Is it true?” he asked the correspondent who reported that Vettel reacted by telling Ferrari he was disappointed to have not been informed about the major shakeup.
Finally, when asked by Brazil’s Globo if he will be accompanying Alonso from Ferrari to McLaren next year, the Spanish driver’s race engineer Andrea Stella answered clearly: “Yes.”
Former Formula 1 driver David Coulthard admits he has some concerns about Ferrari’s 2015 driver lineup, despite Vettel and Raikkonen’s combined five career titles.
“Kimi Raikkonen’s return to Ferrari was the worst season for one of their drivers since 1982,” he told the Telegraph, adding that Vettel also “looked a shadow of himself” in 2014.
“The German did not like the new formula, he did not like the engines,” Coulthard explained. “That is fair enough, but his mantra seemed to affect his ability to perform.”

DENNIS: I AM IN A POSITION TO SAY THAT WE WILL BE STRONG

Ron-Dennis-F1-Grand-Prix-Germany-Qualify

Ron Dennis has played down suggestions Honda’s 2015 engine programme is running behind schedule, despite a disappointing and problematic first day on track at Yas Marina Circuit.
After a recent filming day at Silverstone, the interim Honda-powered McLaren had its first true test day in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday. With young tester Stoffel Vandoorne at the wheel, the day’s programme did not go to plan.
The car – notably featuring extra cooling vents in the bodywork – spent the entire morning in the garage and then it broke down, eventually completing not a single timed lap. But the British team said in a statement that the day was “positive”.
“Running a modern Formula 1 car is a very complicated procedure,” said boss Eric Boullier, “and this week’s test is all about how the departments at Sakura, Milton Keynes and Woking learn to work with the operational hub at the circuit.”
McLaren supremo Ron Dennis is also confident that, after two consecutive disappointing seasons for the Woking team, the McLaren-Honda next year will be strong. He denied that the team’s new works partner is running behind schedule.
Stoffel-Vandoorne-F1-Testing-Abu-Dhabi-D
“This year, teams only started testing their cars for the new regulations in February,” the Briton said in an interview with Brazil’s Globo Esporte. “But we are running the Honda power unit already, before the winter testing.”
“As a team and with Honda, we understand the challenges of these new power units and I am in a position to say that we will be strong,” Dennis insisted.
Honda aside, he also said he is confident McLaren will produce a better car than it managed to do in 2013 and 2014, “You have to realise something: the group that designed the 2015 car is completely different to the one that did the last two.”
He said 20 very able new engineers have joined McLaren, including Red Bull‘s aerodynamics chief Peter Prodromou, while 50 roles have been restructured.
“We believe we have set the direction that will allow us to start the next championship on a very high level,” added Dennis.

BOTTAS MANAGEMENT PLAY DOWN FERRARI REPORTS

dcd1420jy156.jpg

Valtteri Bottas’ management team have played down reports linking the on-form Finn with a move to Ferrari in the near future.
La Gazzetta dello Sport reported this week that, perhaps in view of replacing its current Finn Kimi Raikkonen in 2016, Ferrari has made exploratory advances towards 25-year-old Bottas in recent days.
With his sixth podium of the season in Abu Dhabi, Bottas actually leapfrogged 2015 Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel to take fourth place in this year’s points standings.
In light of the Ferrari reports, however, Bottas’ current boss, Claire Williams, said the British team is determined to keep its driver beyond next year.
And Toto Wolff, who not only doubles as the Mercedes team boss, a Williams shareholder but also Bottas’ overall manager, is quoted by Turun Sanomat newspaper as describing the Ferrari link as just “reports”.
Also on Bottas’ management team is the two-time world champion Mika Hakkinen, who told Ilta-Sanomat newspaper this week: “Valtteri will continue with Williams next year.
“It is still far too early to talk about 2016, but he is definitely heading in the right direction.
“Valtteri has had a fantastic season,” Finn Hakkinen added. “He has had two second places and four other podiums, which has been ideal to show just what a great job he is doing for Williams.