FORMULA 1 - 2014

Force India to trial 'Info Wing' designed by Hamilton

info-wing-0.JPG

Force India are set to trial a new positioning system on their car during the opening day of the Abu Dhabi end-of-season test.

Dubbed the 'Info Wing', two LED screens are attached to the roll-hoop on either side to aid fans in the grandstands and those at home by displaying a cars position and other information such as tyre compound, number of stops and more.

The system's inventor is none other than Lewis Hamilton's father, Anthony, who is hopeful that fans will find it useful during a race.

"The test is to decide whether the unit is practical for F1 and single seaters. Also, whether the LED display can be seen from the grandstands, and whether it works for the TV audience.

"One of the major problems with watching race cars is knowing who is where and who is who without having to take your eyes off the action to find and locate the information on a hand-held device, or one of the circuit monitors. '

By the time you have found the information the car has gone past and you're no better off, and having missed the action as well."

He admitted it might not work as expected, but at present it's a prototype with MkIII under development which will also include a driver's initials allowing fans to identify who's who.

"It might not work. We might not be able to see the LEDs in the bright sunlight, but it is the concept I hope could be of interest.

"It might require further work on the intensity of the LEDs, but I believe this has the potential to make a huge impact on the viewing of races and tests, making it more informative and enjoyable."

It will also be tested on Thursday with a similar systems attached to the safety car for initial observations.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

Correspondent slams underperforming F1 drivers

I completely agree. Have no respect for paid drivers, especially Maldonado who is an idiotic bone head. Surprise he have not kill someone or himself. F1 to me is the best cars, technology and the BEST drivers, not guys who can afford to buy a seat.

• Like 2

I completely agree. Have no respect for paid drivers, especially Maldonado who is an idiotic bone head. Surprise he have not kill someone or himself. F1 to me is the best cars, technology and the BEST drivers, not guys who can afford to buy a seat.

I agree but unfortunately it seems these days money is more important than talent..

In a way, if smaller teams left Formula 1 and we are left with the bigger teams, possibly new BIG teams also, I wonder if the paid driver would dwindle? It sure shows that money doesn't buy talent anyway. Why can't some of the smaller teams invest in a better driver, gain good results which should bring in more sponsorship?

I know, easier said than done. peace.gif

RED BULL AND INFINITI BURN RUBBER IN DUBAI

3-Infiniti-F1-Showrun-in-Dubai-with-Dani

Infiniti kick-started the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend in the UAE with thousands of locals enjoying the sounds, speed and spectacle of a live F1 Showrun, in Dubai.
Infiniti Red Bull Racing drivers Daniel Ricciardo and Sebastian Vettel drove the 2011 Championship-winning race car and the F1-inspired 560-horsepower Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge prototype down the runway at SkyDive Dubai, near the famous Palm.
Ahead of the high performance Showrun, which also marked the start of the Dubai Motor Festival, the drivers met fans and signed autographs, then wrapped the show up by parading the route in an Infiniti Q60 Convertible.
Speaking at the event, Juergen Schmitz, Managing Director, Infiniti Middle East, said: “The Infiniti F1 Showrun was a hugely exciting and successful event, igniting the Dubai Motor Festival with a truly unique spectacle for the UAE’s passionate car fans and demonstrating Infiniti’s core focus of automotive performance”.
7-Infiniti-F1-Showrun-in-Dubai-with-Dani5-Infiniti-F1-Showrun-in-Dubai-with-Dani
2-Infiniti-F1-Showrun-in-Dubai-with-Dani8-Infiniti-F1-Showrun-in-Dubai-with-Dani

VETTEL: IT WILL BE EMOTIONAL BUT MAYBE WE GET A FINAL PODIUM

Sebastian-Vettel-F1-Grand-Prix-Abu-Dhabi

Sebastian Vettel races a final time for Red Bull on at the season closing Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and hopes to secure a last podium finish on an emotional weekend for the four-time world champion.
Four-time Formula 1 world champion Sebastian Vettel will race for Red Bull for the last time in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Sunday and the German star is targeting a final podium before moving to pastures new.
“Of course it will be an emotional weekend as we have great memories together, but I’ll enjoy the weekend with the team and with a bit of luck maybe we’ll get a final podium,” Vettel said.
After several years within the Red Bull organisation, including time at the feeder Toro Rosso team, the now 27-year-old Vettel is preparing to suit up for a rival from the start of the 2015 season. It is widely expected he will don the famous prancing horse emblem of Ferrari though this is not yet confirmed.
dms1427jy57.jpg
Concluding his time with Red Bull on the Yas Marina track is particularly poignant as it was where he won his first world title four years ago.
“I personally have very special memories of the Abu Dhabi circuit and race; it was here in 2010 that I became world champion for the first time in my favourite F1 car, the RB6,” he said.
“That was a weekend I will never forget and this year the race will mark another big moment in my career; my last race with Red Bull Racing.”
The Abu Dhabi victory of 2010 signalled the start of an era as Vettel followed up his maiden world title with three more. Red Bull won the constructors’ world championship each year alongside their star driver.
But 2014, following various sporting and technical rule changes, has been hard for both Vettel and Red Bull as Mercedes have emerged as the new dominant team in the sport. Its drivers, Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, have contested the world title between themselves.
105079919KR212_F1_Grand_Pri.jpg
Sebastian Vettel won his first of four world titles at the 2010 Abu Dhabi GP
Vettel has failed to add to his 39 wins this season and has finished on the podium on only three occasions from 18 races.
Even more strikingly, when the Mercedes duo have slipped up, it was his new teammate Daniel Ricciardo who was able to take advantage, winning the three Grands Prix not snapped up by the Silver Arrows.
And former Red Bull teammate Mark Webber believes Vettel moving to Ferrari is a positive thing – even if it will not improve things overnight.
The classic Italian team are on the verge of a first winless season since 1993 and even current drivers Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen, both former world champions, cannot make up for the failings of the car.
“I have always expected him (Vettel) to eventually go where everyone nows expects him to go,” Webber told Austrian paper Salzburger Nachrichten. “His next team will be his last in F1.
“He was frustrated, he wants results, but he knows better than anyone else that he needs to be patient.
“Perhaps the decision is really correct. When Lewis (Hamilton) left McLaren, everyone called him crazy and now with Mercedes he is approaching a massive triumph.”

NO CATERHAM SWAN SONG FOR BARRICHELLO IN ABU DHABI

dne1201fe05-750x497.jpg

Veteran Rubens Barrichello has denied he is about to make a sensational return to Formula 1 to complete the 2014 season with Caterham in Abu Dhabi.
With the beleaguered back-marker team back up and running after missing Austin and Brazil, they are nevertheless yet to announce a teammate for Kamui Kobayashi at the season finale.
Reports suggested Brazilian Barrichello, the most experienced driver in Formula 1 history, was in the running to add a record 327th Grand Prix weekend to his tally after putting together enough sponsorship.
But the 42-year-old, who was recently stepped down as a Formula 1 commentator for Brazil’s Globo, told the broadcaster: “When I left Formula 1, I walked out the front door.
“It was sensational and I had full pride in my 19 years. But then I had this idea to do a farewell in Brazil again. But the deal was only for Brazil.”
Ultimately, Caterham entered administration after the Russian Grand Prix last month and then sat out the Austin-Interlagos double-header.
“It would have been amazing,” Barrichello admitted. “Like I said, I ended my Formula 1 career brilliantly, but I would have loved to say goodbye again in Brazil. Now to do a race somewhere else, I think it would have to be in a competitive car.”
Asked if he would accept an invitation from Caterham to return, he answered: “Actually, it is not accept or not accept. The situation was very simple and everything was for Brazil. We did not talk about Abu Dhabi.”

UNIQUE VETTEL AND RICCIARDO HELMETS ON OFFER AT END-OF-SEASON AUCTION

Sebastian-Vettel-Helmet-design-for-2014-

Fancy a unique piece of racing history?

As part of Red Bull Racing’s traditional end-of-season fundraiser, Sebastian Vettel and Daniel Ricciardo are auctioning two of their helmets from the 2014 season in aid of the spinal cord injury charity Wings for Life.
Four-time world champion Vettel has selected two iconic helmets used variously in Monaco, Japan, China and Russia, with each boasting an iconic livery produced by Jens Munser Designs.
gp-monaco-2014-sebastian-vettel-big.jpg
The first was perhaps Vettel’s most memorable helmet of the season and was worn at the Monaco Grand Prix, his 100th race for the Red Bull team, and in first practice in Russia.
The famous ‘bronze’ design helmet has a very thin layer of metal coating, which is actually lighter than most helmets with normal paint and was intended to replicate the headgear worn by warriors throughout ancient history.
The outgoing champion’s second choice for auction was produced in co-operation with the artist Christian Achenbach. The helmet is covered in cascades of colour designed to portray “dynamism, energy and expressed movement” and was worn by Vettel at the Chinese Grand Prix and during the Russian Grand Prix weekend.
F1+Grand+Prix+Russia+Practice+cBQo6nllsZ
Three-time race winner Daniel Ricciardo has also donated two helmets including one worn during his successful Canadian Grand Prix weekend, when he scored his maiden F1 victory.
5627696-3x2-700x467.jpg
redb-ricc-helmet-2014-1.jpg
All helmets are signed by the drivers and presented in a Perspex display case with an Arai packing box and a Red Bull Certificate of Authenticity.
The helmets will be auctioned at the Annual Bonhams Auction in Oxford on 7 December. Buyers can bid online, by telephone or attend the event in person. One hundred per cent of the money raised from these unique Formula One items will go directly towards cutting-edge research aimed at finding a cure for spinal cord injury.
Bonhams kindly waive their fees for Wings for Life and full auction details including how to bid outside the UK can be found on the Bonhams Website.

FERRARI: FERNANDO WE OFFER OUR HEARTFELT THANKS

European+F1+Grand+Prix+Deqvqu8GaKEx.jpg

Scuderia Ferrari and Fernando Alonso announce that, by common consent, they have ended their relationship.
Fernando Alonso leaves the team at the end of this season, after a five year period which, with one race remaining, saw him score 1186 points, 44 podiums and 11 wins.
Everyone at Scuderia Ferrari thanks Fernando for his great contribution on both a personal and professional level.
“In the Scuderia Ferrari roll of honour of great drivers, Fernando Alonso will always occupy a special place,” commented Scuderia Ferrari Team Principal, Marco Mattiacci.
“We offer him our heartfelt thanks for what has been an extraordinary adventure with the Scuderia, when in the past five years, he twice came so close to winning the world championship.”
“I am sure that a great driver like Fernando will always hold the Prancing Horse dear to his heart and I also expect the Ferrari fans will continue to hold him in high regard in his future endeavours,” concluded Vettel.

FERRARI CONFIRM VETTEL TO REPLACE ALONSO

Fernando-Alonso-Sebastian-Vettel-Europea

Sebastian Vettel looked forward to following in Michael Schumacher’s Formula 1 footsteps after Ferrari confirmed that the four times world champion would replace Fernando Alonso next season on a three-year deal.
The long-awaited news, an open secret since the German announced in October that he was leaving Red Bull, formally ended a five-year love affair with double world champion Alonso that frustrated both sides.
Vettel will partner Finland’s 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen, who has a year remaining on his contract.
“The next stage of my Formula One career will be spent with Scuderia Ferrari and for me that means the dream of a lifetime has come true,” said Vettel.
“When I was a kid, Michael Schumacher in the red car was my greatest idol and now it’s an incredible honour to finally get the chance to drive a Ferrari,” added the 27-year-old, who took his first Formula One win in a Ferrari-powered Toro Rosso at Monza in 2008.
Compatriot Schumacher won five of his seven titles with Ferrari.
vettel-schumacher-2006.jpg
Sebastian Vettel with Michael Schumacher in 2006
“The Scuderia has a great tradition in this sport and I am extremely motivated to help the team get back to the top. I will put my heart and soul into making it happen,” said Vettel.
Alonso is expected to return to McLaren, the team he spent a torrid season with in 2007 before falling out with current overall head Ron Dennis.
Ferrari announced the news in two separate statements, the first declaring their relationship with Alonso to be over and the second welcoming the sport’s youngest multiple champion.
Alonso, who won his titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006, had his hopes of taking a third championship with Ferrari repeatedly thwarted by Vettel and his own team’s lack of performance.
The Spaniard leaves after a partnership that brought him 11 wins and 44 podiums. He came closest to the title in 2010, when he went into the final race as favourite only for a team strategy error to gift the title to Vettel. The German then began a run of four championships in a row.
Fernando-Alonso-Spanish-F1-Grand-Prix-SS
Fernando Alonso and Ferrari last won at the 2013 Spanish Grand Prix
Alonso was runner-up in 2012 and 2013 but Ferrari have not won a race since the Spaniard was triumphant in Barcelona in May last year and are staring at their first season without a victory since 1993.
“Today is not an easy one for me, because even if I always look to the future with great enthusiasm and determination, at the end of this season my journey as a Ferrari driver will come to an end,” he said.
“It was a difficult decision to take, but a carefully considered one and from start to finish, my love for Ferrari was a prime consideration.
“I have always been lucky enough to make my own decisions about my future and I have that possibility now too,” added the 33-year-old.
Alonso, who said he was proud of his achievements with Ferrari, is one of very few drivers to choose to leave Formula One’s most glamorous team. The Spaniard had signed a contract to the end of 2016 and had talked of extending that.

ALONSO: TODAY IS NOT AN EASY ONE FOR ME

Fernando-Alonso-Sebastian-Vettel-F1-Gran

On the eve of the season ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Ferrari and Fernando Alonso have announced that they will part ways, making way for Sebastian Vettel’s arrival, in what is the end of an era for the Maranello squad.
In 2010 Alonso moving to Ferrari promised much, he even won his first race with the team but in the end the partnership failed to deliver on the ultimate prize – the Formula 1 world title – and for some months now a separation has been on the cards.
The Spaniard spoke about the decision to depart: “Today is not an easy one for me, because even if I always look to the future with great enthusiasm and determination, at the end of this season my journey as a Ferrari driver will come to an end. It was a difficult decision to take, but a carefully considered one and from start to finish, my love for Ferrari was a prime consideration.”
“I have always been lucky enough to make my own decisions about my future and I have that possibility now too. I must thank the team for that, as it understood my position. I leave Scuderia Ferrari after five years, during which I reached my very best level professionally, tackling major challenges that pushed me to find new limits.”
“I also proved to be a true team-player, putting the interests of the Scuderia before my own. When I had to take important decisions about my future, I did so with Ferrari in my heart, driven by my love for the team. I am very proud of what we have achieved together.”
“Thanks to the efforts of the men and women of Maranello, on three occasions we came second in the Formula 1 World Championship, two of them fighting for the title right up to and including the final race, running in a championship winning position for many laps.”
“Without a shadow of a doubt, these five years produced some of the best moments of my career and I also feel that, in leaving the team, it is family rather than friends I am leaving behind.”
“Now I look to the future with great enthusiasm, knowing that part of my heart will always belong to the Prancing Horse. I want to thank each and everyone of the team for the trust they showed in me,” concluded Alonso.

FERRARI: WITH SEBASTIAN WE SHARE A THIRST FOR VICTORY

Fernando-Alonso-Sebastian-Vettel-Spanish

Scuderia Ferrari announces that it has reached an agreement of three years duration with Sebastian Vettel, who will drive for the team as from the 2015 season.
The driver line-up next season will consist of Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel.
“Scuderia Ferrari has decided to put its faith in the youngest multiple champion in the history of Formula 1,” commented Scuderia Ferrari Team Principal, Marco Mattiacci.
“In Formula 1 terms, Sebastian Vettel is a unique combination of youthfulness and experience and he brings with him that sense of team spirit which will prove invaluable when, together with Kimi, they tackle the challenges awaiting us, as we aim to be front runners again as soon as possible.”
“With Sebastian, we all share a thirst for victory as well as enthusiasm, a strong work ethic and tenacity; key elements for all the Scuderia members to write together a new winning chapter in the history of Ferrari.”
Vettel said, “The next stage of my Formula 1 career will be spent with Scuderia Ferrari and for me that means the dream of a lifetime has come true.”
“When I was a kid, Michael Schumacher in the red car was my greatest idol and now it’s an incredible honour to finally get the chance to drive a Ferrari. I already got a small taste of what the Ferrari spirit means, when I took my first win at Monza in 2008, with an engine from the Prancing Horse built in Maranello.
“The Scuderia has a great tradition in this sport and I am extremely motivated to help the team get back to the top. I will put my heart and soul into making it happen.”

CATERHAM: A MILLION THANKS TO CROWD FUNDING INVESTORS

F1-Grand-Prix-Abu-Dhabi-Previews-pJhqoF7

After a race against time in order to get the Caterham F1 Team, currently under administration, to Abu Dhabi for the final race of the 2014 Formula 1 season, the Team would like to take this opportunity to thank all sponsors, race partners, companies and fans who have made this possible – starting with Renault, Red Bull Technology, Pirelli, Dell, Total as well as the many companies and fans who have backed the Caterham F1 Team over the last ten days via the Crowdcube crowdfunding page.
Finbarr O’Connell, Caterham F1 Team administrator and Team Principal: “The amount of support and backing we have received since we were appointed as administrators of the Caterham F1 Team has been overwhelming, especially during the last ten days where we have managed to not only arrive in Abu Dhabi, but also set-up and get the cars ready to race.”
“Before we get out on track we would therefore like to thank everyone for making this possible: important race partners such as Renault, Red Bull Technology, Pirelli, Dell and Total, who we highly depend on in order to race, have been very supportive of us and made it easier to believe that it was going to be possible to be here – thank you.”
F1-Grand-Prix-Abu-Dhabi-Previews-X6pjz_T
“And, of course, thanks also to the team members who are the ‘human engine’ of this team and who have never given up on it.
“Secondly, I’d also like to thank every company as well as every single fan that has backed us on our crowd-funding page – we were convinced it was the way to go but the amount of support we have received in such a short period of time has been a very pleasant surprise, and we are very happy that so many people out there agree with us and believe that this team deserves to be here racing in Abu Dhabi and have a future.”
“A million thank yous. Now it’s time to go racing and I hope we have a solid weekend out on track – that would definitely be the best way to thank everyone one more time and to persuade one of those interested parties to make that final purchase decision.”

ABU DHABI PREVIEW: DUEL IN THE DESERT TO DECIDE TITLE

B20IhjnCUAETbys.jpg

Lewis Hamilton could be only days away from his second Formula 1 world title but the Mercedes driver is wary of double trouble at the decisive season finale Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
The Briton leads German teammate Nico Rosberg by 17 points going into the season-ending ‘Duel in the Desert’, which means he does not have to win the race to take the crown even with an unprecedented double points on offer.
Second place at Yas Marina would do, even if Rosberg were to triumph, but the scoring potential and shadow of a mechanical failure or race incident still cast a heavy shadow.
“There is zero comfort going into the next race because it’s 50 points to gain,” said Hamilton, who took his 2008 title with a last gasp overtake when all seemed lost. In the last race you never know what is going to happen, so I’m going to the last race to win.”
Sunday’s double points could be a one-off, with even commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone now against continuing the idea he pushed through, but in other respects it should be more of the same.
Rosberg-Hamilton-Karting.jpg
Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton have been rivals since their karting days
Mercedes have already secured both titles and finished one-two a record 11 times this season, and are now chasing a record 16th win of the 19 race campaign.
The nightmare for the team, and particularly Hamilton who has won 10 races to Rosberg’s five, is mechanical failure. To many fans, it would turn the championship into a travesty if he loses out that way.
“Clearly Lewis breaking down would have a massive impact on his championship attempt. And it would, for me personally, be a nightmare,” said Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff.
“We need to provide him with the most reliable car and we want the championship to end in a straight and fair battle and not by one of them breaking down.”
While the focus is on the title scrap between the two Mercedes rivals, whose relationship has been under the microscope all year, other battles will be fought behind them in what amounts to a last roll of the dice for some.
Sebastian-Vettel-F1-Grand-Prix-Brazil-Qu
Red Bull are sure of second place while Williams look set to finish ahead of Ferrari for the first time since they took their last title in 1997. For Ferrari, the sport’s most successful and glamorous team, it is the last chance to stave off their first winless season since 1993.
Sauber are also staring at their first season without a single point while Caterham, in administration and with a skeleton crew, are hoping to do enough to convince a buyer to rescue them.
The race will be quadruple champion Sebastian Vettel’s farewell to Red Bull and could also be the final appearance in Formula One of 2009 world champion Jenson Button, Hamilton’s former McLaren team mate.
McLaren, who end a long relationship with Mercedes and start a new partnership with Honda after Abu Dhabi, are expected to sign Fernando Alonso from Ferrari and have yet to decide whether to keep Button or Danish rookie Kevin Magnussen.
Other drivers possibly preparing for their final curtain call are Sauber’s Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez, both surplus to requirement at the Swiss team.
F1-Grand-Prix-Abu-Dhabi-Previews-bwcAkzs

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Stats & Facts:

• Victory for Mercedes in Abu Dhabi would set a record of 16 wins in a season.
  • Hamilton is only the third driver to win 10 races in a single season, joining Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel. No driver has ever won so many and not taken the title.
  • Mercedes have won all but three races this season. The exceptions were Canada, Hungary and Belgium which were won by
    Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo.
  • Red Bull’s quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel has 39 career wins, Hamilton is level with Fernando Alonso on 32, Kimi Raikkonen has 20 and Jenson Button 15.
  • Ferrari have won 221 races, McLaren 182, Williams 114 and Red Bull 50. Mercedes have won 28.
  • McLaren have not won for 37 races, a run that dates back to Brazil 2012. They went 48 races without a win from 1993-97.
    Ferrari have not won since Spain in May 2013, which was the last time a team other than Mercedes or Red Bull won. The last time Ferrari went through a season without a win was 1993.
  • Mercedes and Williams are the only teams to have started on pole this year Rosberg Rosberg (Bahrain/ Monaco/ Canada/ Britain/ Germany/ Hungary/ Belgium/ Japan/ USA/ Brazil) has had 10 to Hamilton’s seven
    (Australia/ Malaysia/ China/ Spain/ Italy/ Singapore/ Russia). Brazilian Felipe Massa was on pole for Williams in Austria.
  • Mercedes have been on pole in the last 10 races.
  • Ferrari’s last pole was in Germany with Alonso in 2012.
  • Sauber have gone 18 races without scoring, their longest barren run since they entered the sport in 1993.
  • Abu Dhabi is the sport’s first day-to-night race.
  • Cars hit top speeds of 320kph with an average of around 195kph. There are nine right turns and 11 left on the anti-clockwise layout.
  • Only three drivers have won in Abu Dhabi: Vettel (2009, 2010 and 2013), Hamilton (2011) and Raikkonen (2012).
  • Just one of those wins came from pole position: Vettel’s in 2010, when he became the youngest champion at 23. Vettel and
  • Hamilton have both qualified on pole twice at Yas Marina, Hamilton in 2009 and 2012.
  • Mercedes set a record at the Brazilian Grand Prix of 11 one-two finishes in a single season, passing McLaren who chalked up 10 in 1988 when there were fewer races.
  • The Mercedes pairing also set a record of 30 podium appearances in a single season.

ALeqM5hvLMRTEyR8VWxBsnt5QSe2cdVBBA.jpg

Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg

Hamilton currently has 334 points to Rosberg’s 317. Below are the various permutations which will decide the outcome of the title.

Lewis Hamilton will be the 2014 Formula 1 world champion:

• First or second.
  • Third, fourth or fifth and Rosberg fails to win.
  • Sixth with Rosberg not in the top two.
  • Seventh or eighth with Rosberg out of the top three.
  • Ninth and Rosberg is not in the top four.
  • Tenth (or lower) and Rosberg is no higher than sixth.

Nico Rosberg will be the 2014 Formula 1 world champion:

• He wins and Hamilton is not second.
  • He finishes second and Hamilton is not in the top five.
  • He is third and Hamilton is out of the top six.
  • He is fourth and Hamilton is no higher than ninth.
  • He is fifth and Hamilton is no higher than 10th.
  • Rosberg cannot win if he finishes sixth or lower.

ALONSO TO USE SPECIAL HELMET FOR FINAL RACE AS FERRARI DRIVER

140012abu.jpg

Fernando Alonso’s special edition helmet

Fernando Alonso will wear a specially designed helmet in his final race for Ferrari in Abu Dhabi on Sunday after the Spaniard’s exit from the Italian team after a title-less five years was confirmed on Thursday.
For the occasion Alonso, who is expected to return to McLaren next season, will honour his time with Ferrari with a helmet depicting two pit stops, signatures of the entire team, and the Italian flag.
“I just told them this morning that it’s the last time that I will jump in a Ferrari so I want to bring all of them with me because they were a part of this fantastic experience and I want to do my last race with them on the track,” the two-time former champion said.
“But, to be honest, it’s been a little bit tricky because at Sochi, I took all the signatures from everybody, but when I arrived here we were missing 20 or 25…”
“So, now, the helmet is not as perfect as it should be because now we have all the 25 signatures everywhere, but I’m happy and proud of them and happy to wear them on my helmet.”
After five years, without a title, Alonso is leaving Ferrari following this weekend’s season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and will be replaced by four-time champion Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull.
140008abu.jpg
140014abu.jpg
140015abu.jpg

ABU DHABI AGREES MULTI-YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION

Yas-Marina-aerial.jpg

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix organisers have agreed a contract extension to keep their race on the Formula One calendar for years to come.
Abu Dhabi Motorsports Management, announcing the new agreement on Thursday, did not say how long the deal was for but the previous one was not due to expire until 2016.
“Abu Dhabi has played an important part in pioneering the modern era of Formula One racing,” said the sport’s commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone in a statement.
“I said when the Yas Marina Circuit was opened that it may one day be matched, but it will never be bettered. The island has continued to transform each year. We have a wonderful partner here.”
This year’s season-ending race will decide which of Mercedes team mates Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg wins the title, with the Briton 17 points ahead but double points on offer for the first time.
Organisers said all tickets had been sold with the circuit set to see its biggest crowd yet of 60,000 on race day. That figure represents a 20 percent increase on the inaugural grand prix in 2009.
“The demand has been unprecedented, locally and internationally, and the atmosphere in the stands is going to be fantastic,” said Yas Marina chief executive Al Tareq Al Ameri.

STEVENS TO MAKE F1 DEBUT WITH CATERHAM IN ABU DHABI

ded1318jy188.jpg

Following our announcement earlier this week that Kamui will be driving for the team again at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the Caterham F1 Team is pleased to announce that Will Stevens will race alongside the Japanese driver this weekend in Abu Dhabi.
Stevens was previously part of the Caterham Racing Academy and tested for the Team in both the 2013 and 2014 official Formula 1 tests following the British Grand Prix at Silverstone each year, clocking up over 1,100km and gaining his FIA Super license in the process. The Briton, 23, has raced in the World Series by Renault 3.5 championship in 2014 with two wins to his credit.
Will Stevens: “I’m absolutely thrilled to be getting this opportunity and am very grateful to everyone involved at Caterham F1 Team for giving it to me. I feel ready for the challenge of my F1 debut and look forward to working as part of the Team in a race environment after all the work we’ve done together previously in the tests I’ve completed and back at Leafield in the sim. Hopefully this will be something we will be able to carry through to the 2015 season together”.
Gianluca Pisanello, Caterham F1 Team Head of Engineering Operations: “We know Will very well through his involvement in the Caterham Racing Academy and more importantly he has done a vast amount of time in our simulator, completing around 10,000km, which has built his experience both of this year’s car and with the engineering team that are going to Abu Dhabi. In addition, his 2014 test at Silverstone in our current car, where he completed over 500kms, was very successful and his race pace was very good. As a result, he was one of our best candidates for this race weekend and we are delighted to have secured his services for our return to the F1 grid. We in fact signed Will last week but have had to wait for confirmation of his Super licence before making our announcement”.

HERBERT SAYS MCLAREN SHOULD STICK WITH BUTTON

dms1406jy578.jpg

Former Formula 1 driver Johnny Herbert has urged McLaren to consider keeping Jenson Button to be teammate to Fernando Alonsoas the team ushers in a second Honda powered era.
With Alonso’s 2015 deal now reportedly signed and sealed, it is believed the ongoing delay in the announcement is due to deliberations about the identity of his teammate.
Speed Week’s Mathias Brunner reports that the team’s new works partner Honda would like to pair Alonso with Button, who has an established relationship with the Japanese marque. But McLaren reportedly prefers its in-house youngster Kevin Magnussen, who comes with a much smaller price-tag.
The uncertainty means Button is heading into the 2014 finale not knowing if Abu Dhabi is bringing the curtain down on his long and successful Formula 1 career.
Herbert – British like Button and now a pundit for Sky television – said he thinks McLaren-Honda needs the 34-year-old.
“Alonso is a disruptive force,” he told Express newspaper. “The team will need a calming presence in the garage and Jenson will bring that with his experience and maturity. For me, it’s a no-brainer that McLaren should keep Jenson ahead of Magnussen.”
“Magnussen had a decent start,” he added, “but has made a few mistakes this season. You would expect that in a rookie, but with some of them they leave question marks whether he is the right standard.”

ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX: SAUBER PREVIEW YAS MARINA

dms1416ma297.jpg

The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is the final race of the 2014 FIA Formula One World Championship, which will take place from the 21st to 23rd November on the Yas Marina Circuit. After the Grands Prix in Bahrain and Singapore, this will be the third race held at night this season. On Friday Adderly Fong, who received the superlicence after testing the C31 in Valencia, will be driving the C33 for the first time in FP1.
Esteban Gutiérrez (car number 21): “The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is another great event, and I will enjoy driving on this track. It will be important to find a good set-up, and this is where we need to put our focus the most on Friday. The track is quite spectacular with nice surroundings that are quite unique. One example is the hotel on top of the track. All in all, the atmosphere is special. The race starts late in the afternoon, which makes it even more interesting, and I would say the event has a bit of the same style as Singapore. It is very exciting to come back to Abu Dhabi, and I am looking forward to enjoying the race weekend there. We will keep fighting for a good result.”
Adrian Sutil (car number 99): “The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be the last race of the season. It is always a great event attended by many fans. The track itself is in perfect condition, it is very modern and it has some run-off areas. As the circuit has a few long straights, engine power will be crucial. On the other side, there are also hairpins and some slow speed corners. Besides that, the surroundings are also nice. We will again do our best to score points, and, especially on this weekend, we have to take the opportunity for double points. I am looking forward to an exciting weekend.”
Adderly Fong (car number 37): “I am very excited about my Formula One debut in Abu Dhabi, but also at the same time a little bit nervous. Last month I drove the Sauber C31 for the first time in Valencia, and it was good to get the mileage to be able to familiarise myself with the speed of a Formula One car. Obviously the C33 is a bit different, as it is a new generation car with a 1.6-litre V6 turbocharged engine. It will be interesting to see how the ERS and the brake-by-wire systems work. As I will have only 90 minutes in FP1, I will not have a lot of time to get used to the car. However, being able to drive during a Formula One weekend is a great privilege, and I am very happy to have the opportunity. It is good that I already know the track as at the same time here last year I did a GP3 race.”
Giampaolo Dall’Ara, Head of Track Engineering: “The power demand of the race in Abu Dhabi promises a tough weekend at the end to our toughest season to date. Nevertheless, after some steps forward were witnessed in the recent qualifying sessions, the team is fully focused and pushing for a result we all feel we would deserve. The set-up will be biased towards low-speed cornering. Stable braking and strong traction are also relevant for the lap time. We are pleased with the allocation of soft and super-soft tyres for the weekend, as the race at sunset will help keep their temperatures under control.”

GLOCK SAYS WILLIAMS DUO ARE ROSBERG’S BEST HOPE FOR TITLE

XPB_649993_1200px.jpg

A strong Williams at this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is title contender Nico Rosberg’s best hope of winning the 2014 Formula 1 world championship against the odds.
That is the claim of former Formula 1 driver Timo Glock, who six years ago played a starring role in the championship showdown when Lewis Hamilton managed to pass him on the thrilling last corner of the Brazil finale.
The infamous Glock pass deprived Felipe Massa of the title, and the Brazilian has never forgotten it, remarking mere days ago that “a certain German” ended his title chances.
“After so many years, that [Massa's comment] was surprising,” Glock, now a works BMW driver in the DTM series, told Germany’s Sport1. “I read what he [Massa] said with a smile.”
Curiously, Massa has now been put in the middle of Hamilton’s latest championship battle, this time against his Mercedes teammate Rosberg.
Rosberg needs a driver to split the two silver cars on Sunday’s Abu Dhabi podium, and in Brazil two weeks ago the German nominated the on-form Massa, who now drives for Williams.
“The best chance for Rosberg would be a technical problem,” said Glock, “but nobody wants to see the title decided by that. I also believed that Williams can be very strong in Abu Dhabi again, so he [Rosberg] can also hope for Felipe Massa or Valtteri Bottas [to do well].
“He [Rosberg] still has a chance,” Glock continued. “I think in 2010 Sebastian Vettel was in an even more difficult position and he still managed it in the end.
“I think both of them would be deserved world champions,” he said. “At the end of the year Hamilton was definitely stronger, but Nico was stronger at the beginning.”
Asked about the highly controversial double points, meanwhile, Glock answered: “I have found the scheme of putting so much importance on one race a little strange. But if Hamilton’s car fails, then he probably would have lost the world championship with the normal scoring anyway.”

Button just focusing on racing

Jenson-Button-panel_3231367.jpg

His Formula 1 future may still be still up in the air, but Jenson Button is determined to "live in the moment" at the season finale in Abu Dhabi.
With Fernando Alonso expected to return to McLaren next year, the Woking squad are yet to decide if they should retain Button or Kevin Magnussen.
The team have confirmed they won't make an announcement on their 2015 driver line-up before December 1, meaning Button and Magnussen will head into the final race of 2014 unsure if they will return next year.
Button, though, is keeping his spirits up.
"Nothing has changed for me for the last two months," he said. "I've got nothing else to add apart from I go into this weekend looking forward to it. I've learnt to live in the moment a lot more this year and that's exactly what I'm going to do. I've got my family here so I'm looking forward to the weekend.
"It's been an interesting few months. When you're in Formula One for so many years, 15 years, you have blinkers on in terms of anything else apart from Formula One. This is the best sport in the world, this is your life, this is everything. But when you are put in an uncomfortable situation your eyes are opened to other possibilities. There are a lot of challenges out there, whether its in motorsport, other sports or something else altogether."

Drivers to test new 80kph ‘slow zones’ during practice

yellow-sing-2014-2-470x312.jpg

Formula One will test a new safety solution this weekend, similar to the ‘slow zones’ used at the Le Mans 24 Hours.
The tests will be conducted following first and second practice. Drivers will have to reduce their speed to a maximum of 80kph (50mph) through two consecutive ‘double yellow sectors’. The Yas Marina circuit has 31 separate sectors for marshalling purposes.
Drivers will be shown a red triangle warning on the light panels prior to the beginning of the restricted speed area. The light panels in the zone itself will display ’80’ with a flashing yellow border to indicate the speed limit.
The speed of any drivers who are already in the sector when the limit is activated will not be monitored.
The FIA described how the test will work:
There will be a speed limit test at the end of P1 and P2. The procedure will be as follows:
i) All cars on the track when either of these sessions finish may complete a further two laps and cross the line on the track for a second and a third time.
ii) As soon as the last car on track has taken the chequered flag for the first time two consecutive double yellow sectors will be activated. A few seconds later these light panels will change and show ’80’ with a flashing yellow border. The panel at the start of the sector prior to the first “80” will show a warning sign (red triangle) which is to alert drivers to the fact that at the next panel they will have to adhere to an 80km/h speed limit.
iii) The average speed of each car in the double yellow sectors will be monitored by calculating the time each car takes to cover the known distance between panels. The average speed of all cars through these sectors should not exceed 80km/h. If a driver is in either sector when it goes double yellow the speed will not be monitored.
iv) Once every car has been through the double yellow sectors the track status will revert to ‘Clear’ and the three panels concerned will show green for approximately 10 seconds.
The FIA has evaluated potential new means of slowing cars when incidents occur on the track following Jules Bianchi’s crash in the Japanese Grand Prix. A previous test of a ‘Virtual Safety Car’, where drivers had to reduce their speed to stay above a target minimum lap time, drew some criticism from drivers.
The use of 60kph ‘slow zones’ was successfully introduced at this year’s Le Mans 24 Hours:

MIKA: As a race fan, I don't like this idea but in the interest of safety, it is a good call.
The only issue now will be where previously back markers could catch up behind a safety car, this new 60 limit will mean that once you hit 60, there's no catching up to the front as the guys in front who hit 60 seconds earlier are still always in front.

McLaren delay will end F1 driver's career - Perez

button-magnussen-mclaren.jpg

Sergio Perez thinks one occupant of a McLaren this weekend will not return to Formula One in 2015.

He is referring to the high-profile holdup at Woking, with Fernando Alonso believed to be already signed but McLaren undecided over whether to keep Jenson Button or Kevin Magnussen.
It is a familiar situation for Mexican Perez, who spent a season at McLaren last year before being ousted.
"They always told me I was going to stay!" he is quoted by the British broadcaster Sky in Abu Dhabi.
"That was pretty late in the season so I was very lucky to find a seat - and a good seat."
Perez is now at Force India, where he is experiencing his own delay in the announcement of his new deal for 2015, although most insiders expect him to stay.
It may be a different situation for Button or Magnussen, according to Perez.
"It must be a very difficult situation as a driver, coming into the last race and not knowing if you're going to be here next year or not," he said.
"I think it's going to be very late for any of them. If they decide to take Button or Kevin, probably one of them won't be here next year."

title-showdown-banner.png

So.... who is everyone backing?

I myself am going for Rosberg, why is everyone hoping Massa to keep hamilton back from getting P2 when clearly Bottas has been the better and faster driver so surely Bottas will keep or could keep Hamilton at Bay unless he gets a DNF.

Rosberg warns Hamilton to keep title fight 'clean'

handshake-octane2014-11-20.jpg

Nico Rosberg has warned title rival and team-mate Lewis Hamilton to drive cleanly this weekend to ensure the title battle is a fair one.

During the FIA press conference on Thursday, Rosberg said he'd be pushing to force a mistake from Hamilton, similar to what happened in Brazil.

"I need to do what I can to try and put the pressure on," said Rosberg.

"In Brazil Lewis made a mistake so there is a chance. I need to do what I can to keep going like that."

When Hamilton was asked if he was confident of a clean fight in Abu Dhabi, considering past incidents this season, he replied:

"Yeah. That how it's been. You have to go into the race weekends believing that's going to be the case, yeah.

"It's already been discussed at the beginning of the season and several times through the season and particularly after Spa, so there's no reason to revisit it. We're not children, we should know what is wrong and what is right. When asked if he could do anything to be certain of a clean fight, he added:

"Don't think so."

Rosberg however wasn't so sure, and hit back:

"Lewis can do something to keep it clean which is to drive cleanly himself. So it's not like he can't do anything."

STRATEGY COULD PLAY DECISIVE ROLE IN HAMILTON AND ROSBERG’S “DUEL IN THE DESERT”

z6UTxNU.jpg

This year Abu Dhabi hosts the “Duel in the Desert” for the drivers’ world championship with Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes team mate Nico Rosberg battling for the title.

So a lot is at stake this weekend and it’s worth remembering that a bad strategy call was the decisive factor the last time the drivers’ title was settled at this track.
Back in 2010, when Bridgestone was in its final race as F1 tyre supplier, an early safety car brought several cars in to the pits on the opening lap and they went to the finish without stopping again. Ferrari brought Fernando Alonso in for a stop and he came out behind them and could not pass, losing the world title as a result.
The advent of adjustable DRS rear wings has made overtaking a little easier, but it is still challenging and making the right strategy calls is still vitally important.
And this race offers double points, which opens up all kinds of possibilities and the likelihood that teams with nothing to lose will try some ambitious strategy calls to try to get an unexpected result.
The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is Formula 1’s original day/night race. The race begins at 17-00hrs local time, in the dusk and ends in darkness, with floodlights illuminating the track. The temperatures drop during the race and this has a significant bearing on tyre performance and thus race strategy. This was shown by the race in Bahrain, which also followed this format for the first time this season.
The Yas Marina Circuit features six corners below 100 kph – only Monaco, Singapore and Valencia have more. The track surface is smooth.
abu-dhabi-yas-marina-circuit-characteris
Track characteristics – [Click on map to enlarge]
Yas Marina – 5.554 kilometres. Race distance – 55 laps = 305.355 kilometres. 21 corners in total. Average speed 197km/h. A marina based circuit hosting its fifth F1 Grand Prix.
Aerodynamic setup – Med/High downforce. Top speed 320km/h (with DRS open) 307km/h without.
Full throttle – 60% of the lap time (ave/high). Fuel Consumption – Med/High (Max Downforce, lower average speed, frequent acceleration events)
Brake wear- medium. Number of braking events – 12, Time spent braking – 17% of the lap. Third or fourth most severe circuit of the year on brakes.
Total time needed for a pit stop: 23 seconds
Ease of Overtaking – Low (difficult to overtake even with double DRS zones)
image.jpg
Form Guide
The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is the final round of 19 in the 2014 FIA F1 World Championship.
Mercedes have won the Constructors’ Championship and one of their drivers will be world champion. Lewis Hamilton has won 10 races, Nico Rosberg five. The only other driver to win this season is Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo.
As far as Yas Marina Circuit is concerned, Sebastian Vettel has won three of the five races to date with Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen winning the other two.
This is a track where Lewis Hamilton has always been very fast; he has had two pole position, he won in 2011 and was twice leading when forced to retire. However last year he was outqualified here by Nico Rosberg. Fernando Alonso has had two podium finishes there for Ferrari. Jenson Button has been on the podium three times.
Weather Forecast
The forecast for the weekend is stable with temperatures in the low 30 degrees C. But as this is a dusk/night race it’s worth noting that the night time temperature is set to fall to 19 degrees C.
formula-1-grand-prix-britain-united-king
Likely tyre performance and other considerations
Pirelli tyre choice for Abu Dhabi: Soft (yellow markings) and Supersoft (red markings). This combination was used in Monaco, Canada, Austria, Germany and Singapore.
The five events featuring super-soft tyres have produced most strategically varied races so far, with some 3 stoppers, so that could still be an outside possibility for this race, given a large enough performance difference.
The race starts at dusk and ends in the dark, so the track temperature falls as the race goes on and the teams have to factor this in. For teams looking to do longer runs at the end of the race, the temperature drop helps, so teams are encouraged to try some bold strategies to win. The added factor of double points will encourage some higher risk strategies.
There are few high-speed corners, but a number of low speed corners so wheel spin on corner exit is the thing to watch out for.
The track tends to be covered in sand at the start of the weekend and again each morning, but the improvement is significant and once plenty of rubber goes down the lap times tumble.
It is therefore very important to get the timing right in qualifying so you are on the track at the end of the session, when it is at its fastest.
Mercedes_GP-Pitwall-Belgium_GP-2014.jpg
Number and likely timing of pit stops
The expected Default strategy is two stops – Laps 12/32 SuperSoft/Soft/Soft)
Last year saw a mixture of one and two stop strategies, with two being the more popular option. In 2012 most teams did a one-stop strategy as the tyre wear and degradation were not particularly high.
There have often been alternative strategies tried at this circuit and this is likely to happen this year with teams pushed to try more high risk strategies with double points on offer.
Overtaking remains a concern; despite adjustable DRS rear wings and two DRS zones on the circuit, the strategists for the top teams will nevertheless be watching out for the gap to the midfield cars in the first stint, to make sure that their driver does not come out of the first stop and lose time behind a slow moving midfield car, which might be running a longer first stint on new tyres.
So they will want to build a gap of well over 22 seconds before stopping.
bgp05.jpg
Chance of a Safety Car
Although at 40% the statistical chance of a safety car appears quite low, there have been three in five races at Yas Marina Circuit.
The 2012 edition featured two safety cars and these proved game changers for Sebastian Vettel, who was coming through the field after starting from the pit lane. The timing of the safety cars is crucial, particularly if they fall in the pit stop windows.
dne1430ma203.jpg
Recent start performance
Starts are a critical part of the race and strategy can be badly compromised by a poor start, while good starts can make strategists change their plans in the hope of a good result.
As far as 2014 start performance is concerned drivers have gained (+) or lost (-) places off the start line this season on aggregate as follows. [Please note that where a driver has been eliminated on first lap this has been noted and removed from the sample as it skews the table. So this is intended as a guide of trends, rather than a definitive list.]

Net gained positions

27 Gutierrez

25 Hulkenberg 

20 Maldonado

17 Ericsson

14 Kobayashi

13 Chilton

12 Massa 

11 Raikkonen

9 Alonso
8 Bianchi

7 Hamilton, Magnussen

6 Bottas, 

Sutil, Button,
 Perez

4 Lotterer, Vettel

Net lost positions

19 Vergne

Ricciardo

7 Grosjean

4 Rosberg 

2 Kvyat

Melbourne Notes: Kobayashi, Massa eliminated in a first corner accident; Perez, Gutierrez pitted at the end of Lap 1; Bianchi, Grosjean started from pit lane.

Malaysia Notes: Perez started from pit lane, Bianchi pitted at the end of lap 1 

Bahrain notes: Vergne pitted at the end of lap 1 after contact

China Notes: Sutil lost power at start and dropped 8 places, retiring soon after. 

Monaco notes: Maldonado did not start, Ericsson started from pit lane, Perez crashed Lap 1.

Canada Notes: Gutierrez started from pit lane; Bianchi and Chilton crashed lap 1; Ericsson pitted lap 1

Austria Notes: Grosjean started from pit lane

GB Notes: Raikkonen and Massa eliminated in 1st lap accident

Germany notes: Massa eliminated in 1st lap accident, Magnussen and Ricciardo dropped back as a result

Hungary Notes: Hamilton, Magnussen, Kvyat started from pit lane

Belgium Notes: Grosjean and Bianchi collided on lap one, Kobayashi absent and replaced by Lotterer.

Italy Notes: Ericsson started from pit lane.

Singapore notes: Kobayashi did not start; Rosberg started from pit lane

Japan notes: Race started behind Safety Car.

Russia: Rosberg and Massa pitted at the end of Lap 1

United States notes: Vettel started from pit lane; Sutil and Perez crashed on Lap 1
Brazil notes: Sutil started from pit lane
Jenson+Button+F1+Grand+Prix+Belgium+19y5

Pit Stop League Table

Of course good strategy planning also requires good pit stop execution by the mechanics and there have been some amazing performances; we have seen tyre stops carried out in less than two seconds this year.

The league table below shows order of the pit crews based on their best total time in the pit lane in the recent Brazilian Grand Prix

1. McLaren: 22.620
2. Red Bull: 22.746
3. Lotus 22.865
4. Force India: 22.997
5. Ferrari: 23.077
6. Williams: 23.220
7. Mercedes: 23.240
8. Sauber: 23.418
9. Toro Rosso: 23.782