FORMULA 1 - 2014

INDIA TARGETING GRAND PRIX RETURN BY 2017

d13ind2348-750x497.jpg

India are keen to host a grand prix again, but is unlikely to return to the Formula 1 calendar until at least 2017, a senior official at former race promoter Jaypee has admitted.
The circuit near New Delhi hosted three consecutive races until 2013, but fell off the calendar this year amid financial issues and complex governmental hurdles relating to tax and red tape.
But Jaypee’s senior vice president Askari Zedi said: “We are keen on bringing the Grand Prix back to the country.
“Talks are going on but there are certain tax issues which we have to deal with,” he is quoted by the New Indian Express. “So nothing is in our hand, we are doing everything that is possible.”
Zedi acknowledged that India will not be on next year’s busy calendar, and “nothing could be said about 2016, but we are trying our best to hold the race by 2017″.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

BRIATORE SAYS ECCLESTONE’S DOUBLE POINTS SMART IDEA

Bernie+Ecclestone+Flavio+Briatore+FILE+P

Former F1 team boss Flavio Briatore thinks his friend and regular business partner Bernie Ecclestone has pulled off a masterstroke with double points in 2014.
Actually, the innovation – where the title is kept artificially alive right until the dying moments by offering twice as many points in the season finale – is highly controversial and almost universally unpopular.
Even Nico Rosberg, who stands to gain the most from double points, is no fan.
“I find it artificial and I don’t like it in general,” said the German after winning the Brazilian Grand Prix. “Of course, now, with the way it is, it’s great for me now but that’s just because of the situation.”
Indeed, championship leader Lewis Hamilton says that – with his current 17-point advantage usually enough to nearly guarantee him the title over Rosberg – he thinks the new system ahead of the Abu Dhabi finale is not “fair”.
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff thinks Ecclestone has even changed his mind about double points now, having admitted in Brazil that he originally wanted the system to apply for the last three grands prix of the season.
“That would have been better and fairer,” Hamilton told Ecclestone in a double interview posted at Formula 1’s official website.
Wolff told reporters: “I don’t think Bernie likes it, so it is probably something we should be getting rid of for next season.”
But double points does have at least one fan — the outspoken and controversial former Formula 1 team boss Flavio Briatore.
The flamboyant Italian told RAI radio this week: “The double points is a smart tactic. “For the next two weeks it is all anybody will take about. Bravo, Bernie! Abu Dhabi is going to be talked about an awful lot.”

Hamilton counting on title experience

Lewis-Hamilton_3225918.jpg

Lewis Hamilton has seen both sides of the coin when it comes to Championship run-ins and he hopes his experience will "count for something" in this year's title decider.
The 29-year-old will go head-to-head with Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg for the 2014 crown at the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on November 23 and he has the advantage as he has a 17-point lead over the German.
Hamilton, though, was in a similar position in 2007 when he took a seven-point lead into the title-decider in Brazil, but lost out to Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen after he finished seventh.
A year later the shoe was on the other side as he had to pull off some last-corner heroics to beat Felipe Massa of Ferrari to the title.
"In those two years, as far as I can remember, I definitely felt the tension more over those two weekends," Hamilton said. "I know I am more prepared now than I have ever been. I am stronger now than I was then, both mentally and physically.
"It is different now and I hope that experience counts for something.
"Going into this last one, I don't think there is a special recipe for it. I just have to go and do what I have been doing.
"I have to drive the way I have been driving in recent races because generally it has been good."
Mercedes motorsport chief Toto Wolff has admitted that the aftermath of the title decider will be crucial as they look to make sure their drivers keep "a respectful relationship" whatever the outcome.
Hamilton added: "What will be, will be. There is no point dwelling on it. It is going to happen one way or another.
"All I can do is make sure I do the best I can over the whole weekend and the rest will follow in whichever direction.
"Immediately before the race I'll do the same stuff I always do - go and take a pee, then stand for the national anthem and then get on with my driving.
"That's what I have done at every race this year."

Button yearns for winning car

Jenson-Button-Suzuka-press-conf_3211392.

Jenson Button admits the "challenge of a good team-mate" spurs him on, but feels a race-winning car is far more important.
With Fernando Alonso set to return to McLaren next year, Button and Kevin Magnussen are battling it out to be the double World Champion's team-mate for the 2015 campaign.
The Woking squad's team bosses are expected to make a decision on their driver line-up this week and Button says the appetite for a good challenge from a team-mate remains as strong as ever, but he is more concerned about having a car that can challenge for victories.
Asked about being Alonso's team-mate, the 34-year-old told Crash.net: "I think every driver likes the challenge of a good team-mate. That's why I loved the three years I spent with Lewis. He was extremely quick, he was better than me in qualifying over the three seasons but I could really challenge him in the race and a lot of times put him in his place in different situations and different conditions.
"So I loved those three years, they were a lot of fun. People keep sending me footage of different races through the years - they're reminiscing. People keep saying that I'm reminiscing on Twitter but I'm not, it's just that my fans are and I see something I like so I repost it. They sent me through the race [in Brazil] from 2012, the battle I had for the first eight laps with Lewis. There's no commentary, there's just us two, the engine sound, the conditions and us doing what we do best.
"That's what I miss more than anything else right now, it's that fighting for a win. That's what probably is the most difficult thing at this moment in time is that we can't challenge for wins in Formula One. So for me if I'm in Formula One next year I've got to be winning, that's what I'm here to do.
"The last two years haven't been like that. The first three years with McLaren have been amazing, challenging for wins; yeah we didn't quite with the Championship but it was a mega challenge. The last two years have been tough. Next year, if I'm in Formula One I want to be winning races."

Grosjean jumps gun on Lotus announcement

Romain-Grosjean_3184206.jpg

Lotus appear to be close to announcing Romain Grosjean for the 2015 season after the Frenchman tweeted he is staying before deleting it.
The Enstone-based squad have made no secret of the fact that they want to retain Grosjean, who admitted at Interlagos over the weekend that both parties are close to concluding a deal.
The 28-year-old took to Twitter on Wednesday to announce he is "Proud to announce I'll be racing with@Lotus_F1Team in #2015" but it was deleted quickly afterwards.

Boullier: We are closing the gap

Eric-Boullier-2_3188116.jpg

The 2014 season hasn't been the best for McLaren, but racing director Eric Boullier is pleased to see the team are ending the campaign on a high.
Having started the year with a double podium in the season-opening Australian GP, it went downhill from there as Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen found themselves battling with midfield teams.
However, everyone at Woking have vowed to fight until the end of the season and they are reaping the rewards with Button and Magnussen picking up 50 points between them in the last three races.
"Prior to Sochi (Russian Grand Prix) we were a little bit down," Boullier told Press Association Sport. "But in two of the last three races now we have clearly shown we are capable of putting cars in the top five - Austin (United States Grand Prix) was a little more difficult.
"But the performance levels are rising, we're closing the gap, and for me it is important to seize this momentum at the end of the season.
"It means everything we have done through the season is now starting to pay off, and we are building for the future, so it's good.
"But this weekend specifically, and this race specifically, Jenson did really great."

Williams proud of turnaround

barcelona-catalunya-formula-1-grand-prix

Williams deputy team principal Claire Williams admits it's a relief to be back among the F1 front-runners, but says the team are still hankering for victories.
After a disastrous 2013 campaign during which they scored only five points and finished ninth in the standings, the Grove squad have bounced back in brilliant fashion this year.
They are third behind Mercedes and Red Bull in the Constructors' Championship with one race to go while Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa have claimed seven podiums between.
Although delighted with the season, Williams admits they are still chasing that elusive victory.
"Ha, if you had said to any of us this time last year, when we had scored our first multiple points - four to be precise - in the United States Grand Prix, that we would be in P3 at this time next year, I don't think we would have believed it," she told the official Formula 1 website. "But the team has done a fantastic job to effect this turnaround and I am so proud of everybody involved.
"It is the reward of all our hard work. But as Frank [Williams] always says, 'It is P3 - we have got to win!' So it would be wonderful to end this year with a race win. With how it is now, I think people in the team will be disappointed if we don't win a race - but everybody has to remember where we came from."
The team have already confirmed that they have retained Bottas and Massa for the 2015 campaign and Williams feels their attitudes have been crucial to the performances this year.
"Both drivers have worked together so well - there are no egos between Valtteri and Felipe," she said. "And this is how we are as a team: the Constructors' [Championship] is the most important thing, and both drivers understand that. That is why the driver pairing works so perfectly for us."
One person who will be moving teams at the end of the season is Fernando Alonso with the Spaniard set to return to McLaren.
The double World Champion was linked with several teams a few months back, but Williams says he was never on their radar.
"No. We are very happy with the drivers that we have - and we had them on contract anyway for next year," she said. "They have delivered - why would you change that? They are part of our future."

Formula 1’s alcohol problem?

PAPhoto4srl_598032.jpg

The European Alcohol Policy Alliance (Eurocare), a group of 57 public health organisations from 25 European countries, who are all working on the prevention and reduction of alcohol related problems, has written an open letter to the FIA President Jean Todt to express concern about alcohol sponsorship in Formula 1, citing the involvement of Johnny Walker, Smirnoff and Martini in the sport. The alliance is requesting “an end to alcohol sponsorship in Formula 1” and expects rapid action from the FIA. The alliance says that it is “deeply concerned of the heavy marketing exercise seen in Formula 1 and is therefore requesting an urgent change”. The organization says that “allowing alcohol sponsorship in Formula 1 seems to contradict many official guidelines for the marketing of alcohol. It runs against the EU Directive (2010/13/EU) which states that marketing for the consumption of alcohol should not be linked to driving” and claims that “it does not seem to fall in the category of ‘the widespread promotion of responsible drinking messages’, part of the mission supported by the alcohol industry itself.”

This smacks of the same kind of campaign that led to tobacco being phased out of the sport but the alliance claims that it is unjustified to argue that the removal of alcohol sponsorships will be a significant financial blow to the sport. There is only one way to find out if this is the case and it is fair to say that, for all the bluster, the Eurocare people will not be caring much if two teams collapse as a result of losing their support – which could happen. The arguments against such a ban are just the same as they were against the tobacco industry with the usual counter arguments that if a product is bad for people then the product should be banned, rather than banning the advertising of the product, and the fact that governments make squillions from taxing alcohol.
williams-martini-2014-render.jpg
The letter is signed by Mariann Skar, who is Secretary General of the European Alcohol Policy Alliance and copies of the letter have been sent to Bernard Ecclestone, various European Commissioners and World Health Organisation officials.
One cannot help but wonder whether or not there is more than a little manipulation going on here, because an ban on alcohol sponsorship would be hurting two of the most exposed F1 teams at the moment, at a time when finding new sponsors is anything but easy. The question is: who is behind such activity and who stands to gain from it? I am pretty sure that this is not happening by accident.
MIKA: Bloody stupid if you ask me! Let's stop breathing next nosmilies.gif

Caterham searching for Abu Dhabi driver as Ericsson quits

f1-german-gp-2014-marcus-ericsson-caterh

It was already known he was heading to Sauber, but Marcus Ericsson will be making his exit from the 'crisis mode' Caterham team one GP early.
Marcus Ericsson has terminated his contract with Caterham, which means he will not be driving in Abu Dhabi should the crowdfunding project allow the team to make to trip.
In theory the team was obliged to use the Swede, whose sponsorship was paid until the end of the season. The news does at least mean that the team can take a driver with funds, if there are any takers.
Ericsson statement
Speaking via social media Ericsson said: “Following recent events re Caterham Sports Limited and 1 MRT Sdn Bhd, my adviser Eje Elgh and I have decided to terminate, with immediate effect, all agreements connecting me to the Caterham F1 team. This is a sad day as we have greatly enjoyed working with the team through a difficult and tough season.
“I wish to thank Colin Kolles, Manfredi Ravetto, Cyril Abiteboul and every other member of the Caterham F1 team for your trust and confidence in me, and for making my first Formula 1 season an educational and unforgettable experience. In addition, I thank my good friend and teammate Kamui Kobayashi for being an inspiring benchmark throughout the year, and hope to see him back on the track soon.”

Double points should be dropped for 2015, says Wolff

_77154220_rosberg_wolff_hamilton.jpg

Toto Wolff made it clear that he wants to see a change for next year.

The 'deciding factor'
The spectre of double points has been hanging over the Hamilton/Rosberg battle all season, and after Brazil it is clear that the unpopular new rule could make the difference in the German's favour.
Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff insisted at Interlagos that whatever happens the rules have been the same for everyone, but made it clear that he wants to see a change for next year. He's more concerned that a technical issue for Lewis could be the deciding factor.
“You could say that the rules are the rules, and we know what the rules are,” said Wolff. “If you lose because you haven't got enough points it goes into the history books that you either won it or lost it. And that's a matter of fact. Then if you imagine a scenario that the championship is being turned by a DNF for example, a technical issue, that would obviously put a big shadow over the championship.
“I would very much hope for a straight fight between the two of them at the last race, and they will give it all, and hopefully the double points will not make a difference.”
Most points - the World Champion
Asked if Rosberg would be a worthy champion even if it does turn on double points he said: “Whoever has most points at the end of the season is the World Champion. You have to be as pragmatic, even though some of us, if it really comes down to that situation, might have a different feeling about it, it's what it is, and as I said before, whoever wins the championship is going to have his name in the record books. And that's it.”
Wolff keen to see the double points rule abandoned for 2015.
“Nobody likes the double points. We are going to discuss that next time around. I don't think Bernie likes it. So it's probably something that we should be getting rid of for next season.”
An element of luck
Meanwhile RBR boss Christian Horner was non-committal on the subject: “I think you've got to wait until after the next race. I think it's great that the championship is going down to the wire. It becomes an element of luck involved in what the outcome is at that last race. Difficult to think that Lewis has won 10 races to Nico's five, and it's all so tight.”

Webber urges Button to make Sports Car switch

webber-button-octane2013-06-27.jpg

Mark Webber has urged Jenson Button to switch from Formula 1 to Sports Cars as the Britain's future remains in limbo with McLaren yet to confirm its 2015 driver line-up.

Button recently admitted he felt like "he wasn't wanted" because of the lack of information surrounding his future with the team as it negotiates with Fernando Alonso.

"You want to feel like you are wanted within a team and part of the family," he said.

"It's like if your parents were to turn round and say 'You know what, we're not sure if we want you at Christmas this year. But your brother can come, he's great'. You want to feel like you are part of the family and that they want you to be part of the family. That's more important than cash," he explained amid news McLaren are debating whether to partner him or the much cheaper Kevin Magnussen with Alonso.

Writing on Twitter, Button added: "Hopefully soon I'll be able to give you more info about my future."

Webber, who recently switched from F1 with Red Bull to Porsche's endurance programme in the World Endurance Championship, urged Button to follow him and do the same.

"Matey just sign that sports car contract and get on with it. Be mega to have you with/against us next year."

MCLAREN-HONDA TO MAKE TRACK DEBUT ON FRIDAY

honda_logo-1-750x496.jpg

McLaren is making the 90 minute trip from their Woking headquarters to Silverstone, where the new works Honda era will begin on Friday.
A source at the British team told us this week that a decision about whether to take an interim 2014 car fitted with the Japanese carmaker’s all-new V6 turbo engine to Abu Dhabi has “not yet” been taken.
The source was speaking after team boss Eric Boullier told a Spanish newspaper in Brazil: “We will take the decision in ten days but it (the debut) could be in Abu Dhabi. If we are not ready then we go to plan B or C.”
Boullier was referring to the post-race Abu Dhabi test, set to take place in the days immediately after next weekend’s season finale, where it was expected the ‘MP4-29H’ would get its proper track debut.
honda-f1-engine-photo.jpg
It appears that ‘plan A’ is indeed on track, with McLaren announcing on Thursday that it is “getting set for Silverstone tomorrow for a filming day”.
“We’ll be parading the interim Honda-engined MP4-29/1X1 and 2 classic McLaren-Hondas,” the team added on Twitter.
A number of filming days per team are exempt from Formula 1’s testing ban, so long as the cars are running only uncompetitive promotional tyres.
It is likely that Friday’s debut for the MP4-29H will be treated as a systems check for Abu Dhabi. McLaren said testers Oliver Turvey and Stoffel Vandoorne will be doing the driving.
Auto Motor und Sport said spectators and photographers will not be allowed to attend.

VETTEL: I AM AWARE THAT A BIG TASK IS LYING BEFORE ME

Sebastian-Vettel-F1-Grand-Prix-Brazil-ge

Amid confusing signals emanating from Ferrari regarding their 2015 driver line-up, quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel continues to talk as if his touted move to Maranello is a done deal.
It is an open secret that the reigning world champion, having already confirmed his departure from Red Bull, is switching to Ferrari next year. But while the man he is replacing – Fernando Alonso – continues his contractual impasse with Maranello, Vettel is still unable to say anything.
“I am hoping to announce what is happening soon,” the 27 year old told Auto Motor und Sport, “but right now we have to be patient.”
Still, Vettel is now giving hints away that his next overalls will definitely be red, “I am aware that a big task is lying before me. especially at a time when Mercedes has a huge competitive advantage.”
He said staying at Red Bull would have been the easiest decision to make, “Doing something else is a step into the unknown and therefore a risk. But I thought about it a lot.
dms1427jy57.jpg
“If I was not convinced that I am able to be successful there, I would not be doing it. So this is not a decision against Red Bull, but to do something new.”
It does sound as though Vettel, beaten this year by Red Bull’s new signing Daniel Ricciardo, needed a new challenge. He admits he even thought about quitting the sport altogether following the controversial move from V8 to turbo V6 power.
“Naturally you think about everything,” said Vettel. “Suddenly you have two [engine] cylinders less and the team doesn’t restart your car but reboots it like a computer.”
He said the process of harvesting energy from the brakes has been a particular struggle as it “just does not feel like a normal car to me. You do find yourself wondering: What has this got to do with racing?’
“But what is the alternative?” Vettel continued. “Yes the cars have become slower, but they are still the fastest you can race.”

HAMILTON LEADS BUT ROSBERG HAS MOMENTUM FOR DECIDER

Nico-Rosberg-Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Pri

Lewis Hamilton leads the Formula 1 championship heading to the season finale but Nico Rosberg carries the momentum into the decisive race in Abu Dhabi.
While Rosberg is coming off a strong victory at the Brazilian Grand Prix, Hamilton is dwelling on a mistake that ended his streak of five consecutive wins and kept him from increasing his advantage.
Hamilton missed a chance to win at Interlagos on Sunday after going off the track while in close pursuit of his Mercedes teammate, and saw his points lead cut to 17 ahead of the race in Abu Dhabi, where double points are on offer. Rosberg needs to win the season-ending grand prix on 23 November and hope Hamilton finishes third or worse.
“We saw he made a mistake, so anything can happen in the last race,” says Rosberg, the German trying to win his first F1 title. “It’s good to see, I hope it has slightly dented his confidence. Mental (strength) is a big part of the sport, that’s for sure.”
Rosberg was the one who buckled under the pressure a week before at the US Grand Prix, where he started from the pole but took too long to find his rhythm, and ultimately was overtaken by Hamilton.
Nico-Rosberg-Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Pri
“I progressed from Austin, managed to understand what I need to do better, and that worked out really well, so onwards and upwards in this direction,” Rosberg says.
“All I can do is relax, just as I have been doing, and go to Abu Dhabi in full attack mode as I have done at the last couple of races. It will be a good fight.”
Hamilton, seeking his second world title, says he will not drive conservatively in Abu Dhabi despite his advantage in the standings.
“I’ll be pushing just as hard,” he says. “It’s everything to play for in the last race. I’m looking forward to it.”
Needing just a second place, Hamilton is in a good position considering how dominant Mercedes has been this season. The team has finished 1-2 a record 11 times, and Hamilton was out of the top two only four times in 18 races. The odds are in his favour.
“There is zero comfort going into the next race,” Hamilton says. “There are 50 points to gain – that has never happened in Formula One before, and it just so happens to be this season. In the last race, you never know what is going to happen, so I’m going into it to win.”
dpl1424au079-1.jpg
If it weren’t for the new double-points format, Hamilton would need only a sixth-place finish to clinch the title. The drivers could tie on points but Hamilton would be the champion because the Brit has more victories, 11 against five by Rosberg.
Rosberg knows he will need some help, no matter what, “I need to win Abu Dhabi and hope for some help from Lewis. It’s difficult with the car we have. Maybe Williams can do a lucky strike or something.”
Williams has been one of the closest teams to Mercedes, and was especially competitive at Interlagos, where Felipe Massa finished third. Another good run by Williams could boost Rosberg’s chances.
“I need some Felipe Massa help,” Rosberg said.
Rosberg was third in Abu Dhabi last year, four spots ahead of Hamilton. The same scenario next week would be enough to give Rosberg the title. Rosberg must finish fifth or better to keep his chances alive.
“It’s going to be a great battle,” he says. “Lewis is a great competitor and always on the edge, so it will be an exciting race to watch in Abu Dhabi.”

MARCHIONNE: I HAVEN’T SAID THAT ALONSO IS GOING

marchionne_alonso_ansa.jpg

This week, it has already emerged that although Sebastian Vettel’s switch from Red Bull to Ferrari is not yet official, the German told Italian broadcaster Sky in a television feature in Brazil that he is a driver for Scuderia Ferrari, although the team’s big boss has come out with some mixed signals on the future of Fernando Alonso.
The Italian team, however, is not yet ready to announce either Vettel’s arrival, or even the departure of the apparently McLaren-bound Alonso.
“Neither I or anyone else [at Ferrari] have talked about it,” new Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne was quoted this week by Corriere dello Sport. “I haven’t said that Alonso is going.”
Indications are that Vettel’s announcement during he Japanese Grand Prix weekend was somewhat premature, which triggered the current stand-off between Ferrari and Alonso. Neither wanting to announce 2015 plans as breech of contract looms with both parties set to win or lose substantially – depending on who blinks first…
Fernando-Alonso-Sebastian-Vettel-F1-Gran
Ironically a similar situation played out in 2009 when Kimi Raikkonen was paid a fortune to depart Maranello and make way for Alonso in the Italian team.
In what is clearly a high stakes game of poker Alonso is playing his hand close to his chest, telling media in Brazil, “If you expect it [announcement] to happen after Abu Dhabi, it may take a week, two weeks, three weeks where nothing happens again and people maybe lose concentration.”
Meanwhile the innocent bystanders on the fringe of the stand-off are McLaren and their two drivers Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen. With Alonso coming on board one of them will be axed, thus they await the Spaniard’s next move.
It could be a long wait if Alonso is to be believed, Alonso, “Australia 2015 is still several months away. I will do something by then.”
MIKA: It's getting ridiculous IMO now. Every day there are at least a dozen similar reports, I try to post one on Alonso every couple days but might stop it until I hear something solid.
Really feel for Button and Magnussen, those guys left to the 11th hour with nowhere to go for 2015

Kubica: Difficult to watch F1

Robert_3066887.jpg

Robert Kubica turned down the opportunity to test a F1 car last season as there was no happy to answer to the question 'what's next'.
The Polish driver's Formula 1 career ended in a rally accident in February 2011.
Contesting the Ronde di Andora in the off-season, Kubica crashed into a guardrail and suffered serious injuries which included the partially severing of his right forearm.
Undergoing several operations and months of rehabilitation, he was able to return to racing but in the World Rally Championship and not F1.
"When you are a kid racing karts, you want to be an F1 driver," he told the Mirror. "It was something I wanted my whole life and I managed it.
"I established a strong position in the F1 paddock. And then from one day to the other, because of the accident, everything has gone. Disappeared. It was not easy."
Dealing the reality of the situation, Kubica revealed he turned down a test in a F1 car last year as he said it would have been too painful as a future in F1 was not on the cards.
"Last year, there was a plan for me to do a test in an F1 car and I was pretty comfortable that I could do it. But my question was 'What's next?'
"The next is not possible for me because of my limitations. So I didn't do it because I wanted to protect myself. There was too much risk that I would enjoy it and then... well, it would be like taking a knife and stabbing myself in the chest with it.
"Do I think about F1? Yes and no. You have to live for what is next, not from memories. I could go to F1 races and have more contact with friends and people I knew in F1. But I decided to avoid it.
"Not because I am not friendly but because it reminds me. I am honest. Watching an F1 race is not easy.
"For the first two years after my accident, I was concentrating on my recovery and it was easier for me to watch then.
"Now it is a bit more difficult. Not because I see Lewis and Nico fighting for the championship and I think I know them from a very young age, we were racing every season since 98, but just because I miss driving with them.
"I'd be okay if I never drive an F1 car again competitively. I would be better if I could but I know time is running against me.
"When you cannot have something, you make what you have work. When you cannot have steak, either you eat egg or you don't eat. So, in the end, you eat egg and you enjoy it."

'Five vying for Caterham UAE seats'

Caterham_3224105.jpg

As Caterham edge towards their financial target to compete in Abu Dhabi, the team's administrator has revealed "five people" are wanting their two seats.
Caterham are over halfway towards their target of £2.35m that would see the team return to the grid for the season finale in Abu Dhabi.
Using crowdfunding to raise that money, Caterham are also selling both race seats.
"We have had five people show real interest in driving," said Finnbar O'Connell, of administrators Smith & Williamson told Sportsmail. "Whichever two are picked will be involved in each practice session."
One driver who is interested in Britain's Alice Powell.
The 21-year-old former GP3 driver is being backed by her grandfather who reportedly offered Caterham £35,000 to put her in the car for Friday's first practice.
"It is all news to me, I only found out this morning when I saw it in the Daily Mail," Powell told Sky Sports News HQ.
"My grandfather, who has helped me throughout my racing career, has decided he is going to help put some money towards Caterham if they allow me to test in Practice One.
"As long as I get to test in Practice One I have some other investors who are willing to invest in the team and it would be a fantastic opportunity."
She added: "If the opportunity comes up to stay in the car and do qualifying and the race of course I'm not going to say no."
But before Powell or the other four drivers learn their fate, Caterham need to find the rest of the £2.35 million by Friday.
MIKA: Whats the bet Rubens Barrichello is one of them...

Force India's financial future is safe - Fernley

force-india-brazil-jm1409no523.jpg

Force India's financial future isn't in jeopardy according to deputy team principal Bob Fernley, despite the team's name featuring heavily when it comes to talking about Formula 1's financial problems.

Force India, Lotus and Sauber are pushing for the sport to change the way it operates by imposing budget restrictions as well as looking at the way it divides prize money in light of Caterham and Marussia's collapse.

"Our main goal was to try to save money by doing cost control, it wasn't asking for money," said Fernley.

"You've got costs running out of control and you've got income that is totally inequitably split, there's something amiss somewhere.

Now we know what the game is, we can work with it.

"From our point of view we're quite comfortable. The last few weeks have now exposed what the game plan is. We just want to make sure that we stay a constructor and we will work hard to do that and be competitive."

Whilst Fernley admits costs have spiralled recently, particularly the rise in engine costs thanks to the new hybrid-V6, Force India's budget is as healthy as ever.

"Our costs have gone from let's say $10m to $30m plus, in the order of that area. So our powertrain is significantly more expensive.

If you can't get costs under control and then you've got teams failing … even Williams with the wonderful, wonderful job that they've done; posting a £20m loss? It's not all good.

"From our point of view - certainly Force India's point of view - our budgets are as good as they have been for the last seven years. We can run, what you would like to have is more comfort to be able to do it properly."

#BeyondTheGrid: Responsible Driving – with Sergio Perez and Smirnoff

http://youtu.be/nxKXs7BJw74

Vettel reveals he considered walking away from F1

vettel-2014-511522541_MT.jpg

Sebastian Vettel has admitted he considered leaving Formula 1 this season following the sport's decision to switch from V8 engines to hybrid-V6 power units.

The four-time champion had been one of the most vocal about the change prior to 2014, citing the lack of noise as a major threat to the sport. However he chose to continue with few alternative options available to him and he still believes F1 remains the pinnacle of motorsport, despite the change of engine formula.

"Of course, you think about everything," the 27-year-old told Auto Motor und Sport in an interview.

"Suddenly you have two cylinders missing and you do not restart the car but a computer reboots it, then you ask yourself 'what has this to do with racing.

"[but] what is the alternative? The cars have become slower but are still the fastest out there."

Whilst he might not have quit F1, the German is making changes after quitting Red Bull for what many believe will be Ferrari - a move which is expected to be confirmed next weekend.

"I am hoping, of course, to announce what is happening soon but right now we have to be patient," he added, though he dropped a hint that his car won't be Mercedes powered, leaving few competitive options.

"I am aware that before me is a big task that will take time especially at a time when Mercedes has a huge competitive advantage.

"It is a step into the unknown, therefore a risk," added Vettel.

"If I was not convinced I could be successful there, I would not have dared."

'Second or 20th makes no difference,' says Kimi

6LzVXdm.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen is looking towards the future after a frustrating 2014 season.

Kimi Raikkonen says that he has not found the 2014 season with Ferrari particularly frustrating – for the simple reason that he regards any year that doesn't result in a title as a failure.
The Finn has endured his toughest year ever, and has only made the top six on two occasions.
100014tst.jpg
Here to win
“I think every season that you don't win the championship – and I've won one – you can more or less forget the rest,” he said in Brazil. “You are here to try to win races and championships, and when you don't manage to do the championship, you've failed every time. Finishing second or 20th makes not much difference. Obviously it's been a hard year, but for sure we learned things from this year also, and it will help us in the future.
“But it's not so much fun when you have a difficult race after race. When you have better results obviously it's more fun for everybody. But that's how it goes in F1 sometimes. We have to believe our own things, what we do. I'm sure we can get back where we should be and then obviously things will be forgotten.
19976391101769500371.jpg
The 2015 Ferrari
Regarding the prospects for next year's Ferrari he said: “Obviously there are a lot of numbers and things you hear, but it's the same story with every team, every year. Once we get the car on the circuit then you really know how good it is and how it feels. There are so many things, even little changes, that can have an effect on that.
“They started earlier in the year on the design of the new car, and obviously all of the things we've been doing this year they listen to us and make changes on certain things, and try to improve areas that we feel are lacking performance. The fact is we will know exactly how it is at the first test.”

One Of The Most Powerful F1 Cars Ever Is For Sale In Sydney

benetton_1986_f1.jpg

In 1986, Benetton Formula — the team that would become Renault and later Lotus F1 — had the B186-05. Powered by the 1.5-litre, highly turbocharged BMW M12/13, it was an enormously powerful Formula One car, developing nearly 1500 horsepower in qualifying trim and clocking a fastest-ever 352km/h down the main straight at Monza. That engine is widely regarded to be the most powerful ever used in Formula One. Seven chassis in total were built throughout the 1986 season by Benetton, two were destroyed, and of the five left, one is up for sale — in Sydney.

Chassis no. 5, the one driven in 8 grands prix throughout the season and pushed to that maximum recorded speed by Gerhard Berger at the 1986 Italian GP, is currently owned — and raced — by Les Wright, a historic racing enthusiast. Wright has the car up for sale at the moment in Sydney’s Northern Beaches, and he’s asking a cool $350,000.

b186_1.jpg

b186_3.jpg

It is fully restored to the condition it was in during its Formula One racing season, and has run in historic events around the country, including at both Phillip Island and at Eastern Creek. Of course, it doesn’t need all its power for these races, but it’s capable of some pretty amazing performance figures.
Although it’s now apparently running at around 800 horsepower (596kW) under 3.3bar of boost and with a conservative rev limit of 9700rpm, the engine specification as tuned by Benetton F1 race engineer Heidi Maher was able to push much higher numbers in its maximum power qualifying configuration. The engines ran on toluene and could develop an enormous 1500hp (1118kW), and qualifying engines would only last around a maximum of five laps at full power before degrading or destroying themselves
The restoration process of this particular F1 car was not easy or simple. Information on the cars is scarce at best, and Wright turned to the internet a few times to ask fellow F1 enthusiasts for help. Of the five remaining chassis, BMW has one, and were less than helpful with providing details or photos to help Wright in the rebuild process of the engine’s linkages — “in response to my emails, they reply “We have no information.” One remaining Benetton B186 is in Munich, one is in a museum in Ireland, and — the other two are apparently unaccounted for.
b186_2.jpg
These cars are fragile, and even during its current ownership, regular refurbishment has been necessary. A racing incident during a historical run destroyed the transaxle, and Wright had the repaired housing 3D scanned during its rebuild to get an accurate record of its dimensions and internal layout for any future construction work. The engine and accompanying Bosch engine management system, described by former Brabham F1 engineer as “stone age”, had to be rebuilt when the car was purchased. But it’s in running and racing condition now, and it could be yours.
$350,000 may sound like a lot of money, but this is a piece of racing history. Of course, if that’s not enough money, the 1992 B192-06 Benetton that Michael Schumacher drove to his first ever podium at Mexico — the same circuit where Bergher’s B186-05 placed first — is going up for auction and is expected to reach £300,000 — about $540,000.
  • Like 2

Lotus laminating first 2015 chassis

Lotus-trial-nose_3223019.jpg

Lotus' plans for next season are pressing on in a "more normal timeframe" than what the team experienced with this year's E22.
While many changes to the sport's regulations played a role in the timeline for the E22, stability in next year's rules have meant the 2015 projects have been only a year in the making.
With the usual timeframe to the design and build of next year's E23, technical director Nick Chester says work is on schedule, adding that the first car will be built in early January.
"We started working on the 2015 project in January this year," said Chester. "Each year, I define a development graphic according to our needs and to the regulation changes for the following year.
"At first we tend to have smaller groups of people working on next year's project. These groups then grow as the season goes by. We have various cut off dates throughout the year: when certain parts need to be released by the aero department to go to design and then from design to production.
"Our first chassis is being laminated now and we will gradually produce all the parts for the car. We will be starting to build the E23 in early January. The overall timeline is around a year turnaround.
"A more normal timeframe than the one we had for the E22 which we started developing over two years prior to the launch as there was a lot of prototype tests to complete."
There is, however, one major change that Lotus will need to incorporate in next year's car and that is the Mercedes engine.
The team announced earlier this year that they were swapping Renault power for Mercedes units, by far the best 1.6-litre engine on the current grid.
Chester said: "There are a number of differences that we need to take into account like the packaging, the heat rejections, and the cooling requirements. At the same time, had we continued with Renault Sport F1, there would also have been modifications in the package for 2015.
"My feeling is that it won't represent significantly more work. It is more a matter of adapting to a new type of packaging and different requirements. In some ways, it will be relatively painless as Mercedes are quite fixed about what they need for their power unit installation. It means that there won't be too many iterations, at least less than when the V6 was introduced last year. It is a more defined programme."

Caterham short as deadline approaches

Caterham_3228788.jpg

Caterham's chances of racing in Abu Dhabi are on the line as the team is well short of the £2,3 million target and the deadline is just hours away.

Last Friday the team launched an appeal to fans to help raise £2,350,000, which would at allow the team to contest the season-ending Abu Dhabi GP.

Turning to crowdfunding, crowdcube.com/caterham, the money began to flow in.

But hours before the deadline on November 14, Caterham are under a million short.

As of 4am GMT the team had raised £1,353,201 giving them just hours to find the short fall.

Caterham, though, are set to sell both race-seats should they make the grid with at least "five people" interested according to administrator Finbarr O'Connell.

Should Caterham fail to find the funds it remains to be seen whether they will join fellow minnow Marussia is shutting up shop.

TODT: MASSA HAPPIER AFTER LEAVING FERRARI

Felipe-Massa-F1-Grand-Prix-Austria-Quali

Felipe Massa’s manager says the Brazilian has rarely been happier in Formula 1, depsite being ousted by Ferrari at the end of last season, after an eight-year tenure that almost netted him the 2008 title.
But Massa’s place had appeared increasingly tenuous and uncomfortable in the latter years, notably struggling alongside Fernando Alonso and being seen as the clear ‘number 2′ driver.
Nicolas Todt, Massa’s manager, told Harrison+Newey that the 33-year-old’s move to Williams this year revitalised him, “You know if you have attention and are wanted, your life changes.”
“This was not always the case at Ferrari,” Todt, the son of FIA president and former Ferrari boss Jean Todt, added.
At Williams this year, Massa has often grappled with bad luck and the appearance that his young teammate, Valtteri Bottas, is a man of the future.
But an emotional Massa had a strong weekend in his native Brazil last weekend, finishing on the podium for the second time in 2014.
d11sin1260-750x500.jpg
“Having the opportunity to take revenge on a situation he could not control was an impetus,” Todt explained. “To finally have a good machine in his hands gave him even more motivation.
“Circumstances were such that points were not always easy — I talk not of bad luck but adverse circumstances. In contrast, the second half of the season has been very good.”
“He also was not disappointed by the results of Bottas — quite the opposite,” Todt continued. “It was proof of a good car and a good team,” he added.
“His (Massa’s) commitment is total in all areas. He also knows that he is no longer 20 and has not so many seasons ahead of him, hence his desire not to give up.
“I have rarely seen him happier. Williams is definitely a British super team, but paradoxically I also see that it is more at ease, without pressure, without politics,” said Todt.

SAINZ EMERGES AS A CONTENDER FOR SECOND MCLAREN RACE SEAT

Carlos-Sainz-Jr-F1-Young-Driver-Tests-Si

Highly rated Carlos Sainz may have emerged as an unexpected candidate to be Fernando Alonso’s teammate next year at McLaren.
The Red Bull-backed rookie Spaniard now appears out of the running to make his debut for Toro Rosso next year, with the energy drink company likely to instead pair the young Max Verstappen with the more experienced Jean-Eric Vergne.
But Omnicorse claims a golden option may have emerged out of the blue for 20-year-old Sainz, the son of the world rally legend and the newly-crowned Formula Renault 3.5 champion — the youngest in its history.
McLaren, having survived without a title sponsor in 2014, and new partner Honda are reportedly breaking the bank to sign the highly-expensive Alonso for 2014.
Team boss Eric Boullier hinted in Brazil that the team is open to welcoming Spanish sponsors to accompany the 33-year-old, “Santander, Madrilena … there are no serious negotiations, but if they want to come, there is no problem!”
Button-Alonso.jpg
Omnicorse claims one of them could be the Telefonica-owned Spanish mobile operator Movistar, which may “open a door for Carlos Sainz jr as the second driver”.
One prominent Spanish motor racing figure, the former Formula 1 manager and Epsilon Euskadi chief Joan Villadelprat, is tipping success for Alonso and McLaren in the years ahead.
“I have no doubt the Honda will be a powerful engine,” he told El Confidencial, “because they have had time to do things well rather than repeat the errors of Renault and Ferrari. “And I see the marriage of Alonso and McLaren as more fruitful than the first (in 2007).”
“To start, this time Fernando is the undisputed number 1. Secondly, I think they [Alonso and McLaren] are both very intelligent and have both learned from the past and forgotten it.
“Fernando needed somewhere to go, Ferrari was not going anywhere, the relationship with Marco Mattiacci is zero. The McLaren option is good because they have taken every experience this year with the Mercedes engines, Honda will have learned from it and with their resources I am convinced it will be a tremendous engine,” he added.