FORMULA 1 - 2014

Felipe Nasr to race for Sauber in Formula 1 in 2015

1415231516.jpg

The Sauber Formula 1 team has signed Williams test driver Felipe Nasr to a race deal for the 2015 season.
The Brazilian, who sits second in the GP2 standings with one round remaining, has taken part in four free practice sessions for Williams so far this year, including last weekend at Austin.
Nasr's signing to race alongside ex-Caterham driver Marcus Ericsson means that both of Sauber's 2014 drivers - Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez - will be replaced next season.
Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn said: "We have been following Felipe's career path for some time now.
"He fully deserves his position in Formula 1 having had a very successful career in the junior categories.
"We are happy that he will be driving for our team next year. This means that Brazil will have one more young and talented driver in the sport."
Nasr, who has British Formula 3 and Formula BMW Europe titles to his name, said he hopes to follow in the footsteps of other top drivers to have made their F1 debut with the Swiss team.
"This is an unforgettable moment that I owe to all of those who have supported me," he said. "Today the dream has come true.
"Sauber was responsible for the arrival in F1 of great names such Felipe Massa, Kimi Raikkonen, Robert Kubica and Sebastian Vettel.
"I am proud now to also be part of this racing family.
"I had a wonderful year at Williams, where I learned a lot and prepared myself to be a race driver in Formula 1."
SUTIL HAD EXPECTED TO STAY
Sutil had regularly stated that he has a contract in place for 2015 and, when asked about his future at Austin last Thursday, he said he expected it to be with Sauber.
"For me, a change [of team] now is not necessary, I don't want it," said Sutil.
"I will stay here, I have committed to that team and I look forward to making it better.
"I still have some work to do here and I look forward to that a lot."

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

F1's virtual safety car system to be tweaked for Brazilian GP trial

1414799292.jpg

A revised version of Formula 1's new virtual safety car system will be tested at the Brazilian Grand Prix, following a first trial during the United States GP weekend.
Conceived in response to Jules Bianchi's accident at the Japanese Grand Prix, the FIA's system takes responsibility for slowing down under yellow flags away from drivers.
When a 'virtual safety car' is declared, drivers have to slow down to a specific delta time - which can be up to one third slower than the normal speed - over a lap.
This concept would then be used for incidents that F1 race control does not think warrant a full safety car.
A first version of the concept was trialled after first and second free practice at Austin last weekend, and it uncovered some areas that need improvement.
Fernando Alonso said: "I think it was OK. The idea is good. It's something we discussed in Russia.
"We need to tune it a little bit better, because we had some tones in the radio that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't, so there are some things to put in place there."
The FIA has taken on board the feedback from the drivers and team and will make specific modifications for the tests in Brazil.
To overcome complaints drivers found it difficult to maintain a specific time delta throughout the lap, the timing zones where their speed is measured will be extended from 50 metres long to 200 metres - which should make it easier to comply with the limits.
The period for drivers to bring down their pace from racing speed to the virtual safety car pace will now be extended to 10 seconds.
A 10s warning will be also given to notify drivers that the virtual safety car period is coming to an end.
Williams performance chief Rob Smedley believed that the first test of the new concept had been a success, and the minor issues encountered could be sorted.
"It comes down to some nuances as to how the driver retains a positive time compared to the reference and the feedback that we give to the driver, the information that the driver can get when the race resumes under normal conditions," he said.
"The most positive aspect was that it was a brand new methodology and all the drivers pretty much made the same comment, which was really getting down to the details.
"So as a big picture, it worked pretty well straight away."

Gene Haas: It will be a while before driver announcements

141022132500-spc-circuit-f1-gene-haas-in

And don't necessarily expect an American that first season.

Gene Haas, owner of the North Carolina-based Haas F1 Team, has plenty of resumes from potential team drivers, from kart racers to veteran Formula One drivers.
But, he said in an exclusive interview with Motorsport.com, don’t expect an announcement anytime soon.
In fact, “It will likely be about this time next year” before he makes any driver announcements.
And those hoping to hear the names of one or two American drivers when that selection is announced may be disappointed. Now, at least.
“I think fundamentally,” Haas said, “part of strategy is having an American team compete in European venues with an American driver, but the question is, when do we do it?”
For a fledgling, first-year Ferrari-linked team, it may make more sense to have drivers who are familiar with the tracks, the cars and the procedures. And since there are no active American F1 drivers – and the most recent one, Scott Speed, has been removed from an F1 cockpit since the summer of 2007 – it may not be possible.
Still, Haas said, “Our goal ultimately is to be a successful American racing team, with a successful American driver.”
'We look at every resume'
Both for drivers and crew, “We look at every resume that comes it. You wish you could give everybody who wants one a job, but so much of it depends on the window – when you need someone, and at what skill level. We have to match the right people with the right job.”
And while the F1 debut for Haas, who turns 62 next week, remains about 18 months away, already he has seen some benefit of his participation to his business, Haas Automation. “We’ve seen an increase in sales of $50 million since we committed to Formula One.”
  • Like 1

Marussia listed as 'Manor F1 Team' on provisional 2015 team list

marussia-f1-team-logo_100487511_m.jpg

The provisional 2015 entry list has 22 teams listed, but there's a catch.

Although both Caterham and Marussia have both gone into administration, there's still some hope that they may still return to the grid. Although Caterham is listed on the provisional 2015 entry list, there isn't any solid news regarding a potential buyer.
As for Marussia, their situation looks more optimistic. There's just one catch. On the 2015 entry list, they are listed, but not as 'Marussia.' They are instead called 'Manor F1 Team.' Both teams missed the United States GP and will also miss Interlagos.
New investor
It is believed that they will have the investors that will allow them to participate in the season-ending Abu Dhabi GP. Following the withdrawal of Russian backer Andrey Cheglakov, the team is reportedly in advanced negotiations with an Indian buyer.
Manor was part of the original name of this young team, prior to them jumping to F1 and switching to Virgin Racing, then later Marussia.
Lending a helping hand
Lotus team owner Gerard Lopez, who has become the voice for the smaller teams, is directly speaking with Donald Mackenzie, the chairman of F1's major shareholder, CVC. Teams such as Sauber, Lotus, Force India, and the aforementioned Caterham/Marussia could benefit to a potential $160 million boost if the negotiations are indeed successful.

Germans and Ferrari ... It's a rare pairing in Formula One

2316.jpg

Something interesting to think about ... And it also serves as a break from the never-ending rumors engulfing Formula One today.
Being very much engrossed by motorsports history and statistics, my endless crusade for information led me to something quite intriguing. Only twice in Ferrari's history have Germans raced for the iconic manufacturer in Formula One, and neither driver did it quietly.
michael-schumacher-japanese-gp-2005_2704
Schumacher glory days
There's the incredibly obvious name ... Michael Schumacher. The seven-time Formula One World Champion took five of his titles with Ferrari. He was the face of the prancing horses for a decade and immortalized himself with an immortal marque.
limit01.jpg
The forgotten German, lost before his time
The second German driver on this short list never won a Formula One World Championship. In fact, he only won two races during his career. Doesn't sound like a very successful Ferrari pilot, now does it? These small numbers are very deceiving though.
Between 1956 and 1961, he made 27 starts, 25 of which came with Ferrari. He became a Ferrari works driver in 1960. His name was Wolfgang Von Trips and he should have been the 1961 Formula One World Champion, but he never got to see the checkered flag in his 156.
A World Championship celebration replaced with a funeral
Von Trips went into the penultimate round of the season with the championship almost locked up. The race took place in Monza, Italy ... The home of the loyal Tifosi and Ferrari's backyard. On the opening lap of the race, he collided with Jimmy Clark and went airborne. The wreckage of his Ferrari tragically killed 15 spectators. He was thrown from the car during the accident.
Wolfgang von Trips was killed upon impact.
1412449006458.jpg
Vettel's mark
So that's the history of Germans and Ferrari. From the glory of Schumacher to the dark end of Von Trips. Sebastian Vettel will serve as the third chapter in the Ferrari/German driver history. His Ferrari story has yet to be written, but just like these two, be assured that he will leave an indelible mark on Maranello.

HAMILTON BREAKING RECORDS AS HE HUNTS FORMULA 1 TITLE

SNE23335.jpg

Lewis Hamilton can set more records in Brazil this weekend but it is the Formula 1 world championship he he really wants and that will have to wait until the season finale.
Meanwhile, no Briton has ever won six grands prix in a row, or celebrated 11 victories in a single season and the Mercedes driver, who has already overtaken 1992 champion Nigel Mansell as his country’s most successful in terms of race wins after chalking up his 32nd in Texas last weekend, can do both at Interlagos.
But the novelty – or gimmick – of double points on offer at the last race in Abu Dhabi on 23 November means his second title will remain in doubt even if he takes maximum points on Sunday and teammate Nico Rosberg draws a blank.
Hamilton, who is 24 points clear of the German with 75 still to be won, will be doing his best to deliver another psychological hammer blow to his rival all the same on what promises to be a wet weekend.
F1GP17USA_HZ11578.jpg
“I guess I have a buffer for the next race, if something goes wrong you still have an opportunity to be in the fight but that doesn’t really change my mentality or approach,” he told reporters in Austin.
“I’ve never won in Brazil. I nearly won in 2012 but was taken out. It is what it is,” he said of the double points. “There’s no point in getting upset about it. It’s just about being positive. I’ve driven the best I’ve ever driven this year. If I continue to do what I’ve been doing then there’s no doubt in my mind that I can come up winning.”
Rosberg, who now has the unwanted record for most second places in a season (10) as well as four wins, knows that a mechanical failure for Hamilton and a victory for him would turn everything around.
The German has had nine pole positions so far in the campaign but needs to translate that into success on Sunday and that has proved elusive.
“(It will be the) same approach from me: fully committed, full attack, try and be on pole in qualifying and then win Interlagos and that’s it,” said Rosberg. “There are still many points to be had and a lot can still happen.”
F1GP17USA_HZ5639.jpg
“In Brazil it’s even possible to completely turn it around. You never know what will happen there,” he added. “I look forward to the last two races. With the car that we have, it’s awesome, it really is.”
Mercedes have already won the constructors’ title and, with the drivers’ also guaranteed since their pair have no rivals, can continue rewriting the record books.
A one-two finish in Brazil would be their 11th of the season, one more than the record they now share with McLaren. A win would equal the record of 15 in a season held by Ferrari and McLaren.
Victory is by no means guaranteed though with Williams potentially a threat at a home track for Felipe Massa. The Mercedes-powered team have a strong record at the Sao Paulo track and Massa is hungry for a first win since 2008, when he won at home but lost out on the title to Hamilton by a single point.
Red Bull, their titles relinquished after a phenomenal four years, can make sure of a second place overall that seemed unlikely at the start of the season when they were beset by engine troubles.
“I think we are a couple of points shy from tying up second place now, but obviously we want to try to finish the season off on a high,” said principal Christian Horner.
dcd1427jy128.jpg

Brazilian Grand Prix Facts & Stats:

• Lap distance: 4.309km. Total distance: 305.909km (71 laps)
  • Race lap record: Juan Pablo Montoya (Colombia) one minute 11.473, 2004, Williams.
  • 2013 pole: Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Red Bull 1:26.479
  • 2013 winner: Vettel
  • Start time: 1400 local (1600 GMT)
  • Tyres: Medium (white), soft (yellow)
  • Hamilton is chasing his sixth win in a row. No British driver has ever done that.
  • Germans Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel, and Italian Alberto Ascari, are the only drivers to have won more than five in a row. Ascari and Vettel hold the record of nine in a row.
  • Hamilton is the seventh driver ever to win five in a row, a feat that eluded greats like Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost.
  • Hamilton’s victory in Austin made him only the third driver to win 10 races in a single season, joining Schumacher and Vettel. No driver has ever won so many and not taken the title. Rosberg has won four this year.
  • Mercedes have won all but three races so far this season. The exceptions were Canada, Hungary and Belgium — all won by Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo.
  • One more win for Mercedes would equal the record of 15 in a season held by Ferrari and McLaren.
  • Red Bull’s quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel has 39 career wins, Fernando Alonso and Hamilton are now level on 32, Kimi Raikkonen 20, Jenson Button 15, Nico Rosberg seven.
  • Hamilton is now the most successful British driver in terms of wins, passing Nigel Mansell who won 31, and is fifth equal on the all-time list.
  • Ferrari have won 221 races, McLaren 182, Williams 114 and Red Bull 50. Mercedes have won 27.
  • McLaren have not won for 36 races, a run that dates back to Brazil 2012 but is not their longest drought. Most recently, they went 48 races without a win between 1993 and 1997.
  • Ferrari’s last victory was in Spain in May 2013 — the last time a team other than Mercedes or Red Bull won.
  • Mercedes have equalled McLaren’s record of 10 one-two finishes in a single season, set in 1988.
  • Mercedes are now sure to win both titles, with Hamilton and Rosberg the only drivers left in contention. They won their first constructors’ title in Russia last month.
  • Mercedes and Williams are the only teams to have started a race on pole position this year. Rosberg (Bahrain/Monaco/Canada/Britain/Germany/Hungary/Belgium/Japan/US) has had nine poles this year to Hamilton’s seven (Australia/Malaysia/China/Spain/Italy/Singapore/Russia).
  • Brazilian Felipe Massa was on pole for Williams in Austria.
  • Vettel has 45 career poles. Hamilton has 38. Ferrari’s last pole was in Germany with Alonso in 2012.
  • Mercedes have been on pole in the last nine races.
  • No driver has scored in every race this season, although Ricciardo has now gone 15 races in a row in the points.
  • Sauber have gone 17 races without scoring, their longest barren run since they entered the sport in 1993. They went nine in a row between October 1995 and May 1996, at a time when only the top six cars scored points.
  • Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado scored his first points of the season for Lotus in Austin.
  • Felipe Massa is the last Brazilian to have won his home grand prix, doing so in 2008 and 2006. Massa has not won since his last triumph at Interlagos. He is the sole Brazilian driver on the grid at present.
  • Four of the last six titles have been decided at Interlagos but this year’s will not be.
  • Only four of the current drivers have won in Brazil: Massa, Vettel, Raikkonen and Button.
  • Only nine teams competed in Austin after Caterham and Marussia went into administration. That was the least since Monaco in 2005.
  • Rosberg set a record for the number of second places in a single season, with his 10th in Austin.

VERSTAPPEN ON FP1 DUTY FOR TORO ROSSO IN BRAZIL

Max-Verstappen-F1-Grand-Prix-USA-Practic

Max Verstappen’s Formula 1 ‘education’ by Toro Rosso continues in Sao Paulo where he will take part in the first free practice of the Brazilian Grand Prix weekend and the Dutchman is hoping for rain.
Teenager Verstappen said, “I’ve done two Friday FP1 sessions now and I’m gaining confidence with every lap. I always have to remember that I’m driving Jev’s car, so I never push to the maximum, as I need to be sure I have a car to give back to him at the end of the session!”
“I would say the area where I still have the most to learn is the tyres and I had not realised how tricky that element would be. I have driven the Brazilian track for a few laps in the simulator and it looks very interesting.”
“They say there’s always a chance of rain at this time of year in Sao Paolo and honestly, I would be quite happy if it rained on Friday morning, as I have never driven this car in the wet and it would be a useful experience,” added Verstappen who already became the youngest driver to participate at a Grand Prix weekend during FP1 at the Japanese Grand Prix. He also had an outing for Toro Rosso in Austin.

FORCE INDIA GIVE JUNCADELLA FP1 OUTING IN BRAZIL

jm1431ja76.jpg

Daniel Juncadella will take part in his second 90-minute Free Practice session during Friday morning at the Brazilian Grand Prix.
This will be the third time this season that the Sahara Force India reserve driver joins an official session, after appearances in FP1 at Silverstone and during the first 30 minutes of Italy’s first practice session back in September. The 23-year old will take the wheel of Sergio Perez’s VJM07.
Daniel: “I’m very happy to be given another chance to drive the car this weekend in Brazil. I feel confident after my outings in Silverstone and Italy and I look forward to continue gaining more experience with the team. The Brazilian track brings back good memories, as I achieved two podium finishes back in 2008 when I raced here at the final two races of the Formula BMW American season, but I can’t wait to go back and see what it’s like to drive it in an F1 car!”
“The fact that I know the track and that I’m not new to the team anymore will definitely be two positive elements that will allow me to focus on my driving and on doing the best job possible for the team straight away. After finishing my DTM season much stronger than we started it, I now look forward to my third FP1 outing and I’d like to thank Sahara Force India for this opportunity.”

ULLRICH: AUDI HAS NO FORMULA 1 PROGRAMME

0593254.jpg

German carmaker Audi has knocked down speculation about a possible Formula 1 entry in 2016 after recruiting former Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali to an unspecified role.
“There is no decision that we are going in that direction,” Audi motorsport head Wolfgang Ullrich revealed to media. “Audi has a motorsport programme that at the moment is based on the World Endurance Championship and the DTM, and we are working on the cars for next season. There is no other programme.”
Ullrich confirmed that Domenicali had joined Audi but said the Italian would not be involved in motorsport.
The speculation had grown following Audi stablemate Porsche’s return to Le Mans as a full works entry. Both are part of Volkswagen AG that also owns supercar brands Lamborghini and Bugatti.
Formula 1’s latest race in Austin, Texas, at the weekend saw only nine teams compete after Caterham and Marussia went into administration.
2014-24-Hours-of-Le-Mans-Audi-Sport-402.
Audi have enjoyed huge success at Le Mans over the years – here they celebrate victory in the 2014 edition of the race
Ullrich added that there had been no contact with Ferrari’s double world champion Fernando Alonso, who is set to leave the Italian team and has yet to reveal where he is headed despite most signs pointing to McLaren. Alonso was at this year’s Le Mans 24 Hours endurance race, won by Audi, as the honorary starter.
In retrospect, Porsche never seriously tackled Formula 1, however in 1962 a newly developed flat-eight powered Porsche 804 produced the marque’s sole win as a constructor in a F1 world championship race, claimed by Dan Gurney at the French Grand Prix that year.
The next foray began in in 1983 when Porsche supplied V6 turbo engines, badged as TAG units, for McLaren.
TAG (Porsche) powered cars took two F1 constructor championships in 1984 and 1985, three F1 driver crowns in 1984, 1985 and 1986. The engines powered McLaren to 25 victories between 1984 and 1987 – 19 for 1985 and 1986 World Champion Alain Prost, and 6 for 1984 Champion Niki Lauda.
One could argue that Volkswagen-Audi-Porsche have unfinished business in Formula 1.

VERGNE SAYS HE WILL BE ON THE F1 GRID IN 2015

Jean+Eric+Vergne+F1+Grand+Prix+Belgium+P

Jean-Eric Vergne is suddenly sounding very confident about his future in Formula 1, when a month ago, prior to Sebastian Vettel’s shock decision to switch from Red Bull to Ferrari for 2015, Frenchman Vergne looked set to lose his place on the grid.
That was because the 2015 lineup at Red Bull’s junior team Toro Rosso was already set – Daniil Kvyat alongside the rookie sensation Max Verstappen.
The Vettel situation changed everything. Suddenly, Russian Kvyat got the call to replace the champion German, and a new place at Toro Rosso was open.
Carlos Sainz jr, the Red Bull-backed new Formula Renault 3.5 champion, was an obvious favourite, but there was also a reluctance to create an all-rookie and extremely young pairing of the Spanish rookie alongside teenager Verstappen.
Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost said he personally wants to keep Vergne, while Dutchman Verstappen thinks the experience of Vergne would be “better” at his side than another rookie.
And even Red Bull supremo Dietrich Mateschitz conceded recently: “There are some very good arguments in favour of having an experienced driver alongside a very young rookie (at Toro Rosso).”
Suddenly, 24-year-old Vergne is sounding very hopeful, and told Le Figaro, “Nothing is done yet, but I’m not too worried. I’ll be in Formula 1 in 2015.”
Vergne admitted that staying at Toro Rosso is his number one option.

ALONSO AND FERRARI GET TASTE OF MEXICO

140296_new.jpg

Santander organised a special event at Mexico City’s Hermanos Rodriguez circuit, the track that will be back on the Formula 1 calendar next year, after an absence of no less than 22 years.
Representing Scuderia Ferrari at the event was Fernando Alonso who did some laps of the track in a Ferrari 458 Spider. He then had a brief meeting with local media, alongside Rodrigo Brand, Chief Public Affairs Officer of Santander Mexico and Alejandro Soberón, President of CIE, the company promoting the Grand Prix.
The main topic was the new track layout, as work continues apace to be ready for the event’s return to Formula 1 next October. The original track hosted the Grand Prix fifteen times between 1963 and 1992.
“It’s impossible to get a clear idea of what it’s like after doing just one lap, but as it’s an already existing circuit, which staged races for many years, the important thing will be to try and preserve its DNA,” commented Alonso.
“Some modifications are definitely needed, to meet the demands of the governing body, especially in terms of safety. The corners will become faster and we drivers like that a lot, all the more so as, at some points, the cars pass close to the crowd and I’m sure it will be very spectacular.”
“Formula 1 has a great following here and in Austin we saw a lot of Mexican fans, so I’d say there’s every chance the Grand Prix here will be a great success.”

LOTUS HOPING FOR GROSJEAN DECISION SOON

79P3422.jpg

Romain Grosjean is edging closer to concluding a deal to remain with Lotus for the 2015 Formula 1 season.
Marca reported this week that talks about a possible switch to McLaren-Honda, where the Frenchman may have been under consideration as an alternative to Fernando Alonso, have now ended.
Grosjean, obviously frustrated this year, said recently that Lotus’ impending switch from Renault to Mercedes power will give the Enstone team an obvious boost for 2015.
And he has insisted the arrival of Petronas fuels, apparently contradicting his strong alliance with existing partner Total, will not affect his potential future at Lotus.
But in Austin last week, the 28 year old did not hide his desire to move to a top team, “I have a contract with the [Lotus] team, I have the option to leave if I want to.”
Speed Week now quotes deputy team boss Federico Gastaldi as saying: “We are still in the process of finalising things. As I have already said, Romain is a very important member of our family at Enstone and we want to keep it that way.”
“An announcement will follow shortly,” he revealed. “The discussions are very open and progressive, and we hope that we are soon in the position to go public.”

BRAZIL MOVES TRACTOR IN AFTERMATH OF BIANCHI CRASH

Jules-Bianchi-F1-Grand-Prix-Japan-qpRoWk

Organisers of the Brazilian Grand Prix have tweaked safety measures in light of Jules Bianchi’s life-threatening Suzuka crash during the rain affceted Japanese Grand Prix a month ago.
Globo reports that the tractor destined to be on duty in the famous Senna-S has been relocated.
“The Bianchi accident certainly made us think,” said Luis Ernesto Morales, the chief engineer at Interlagos. “One of the changes we have made was the adoption of a new post at the new run-off area at the Senna-S, so that there will not be a tractor entering there.”
“Undoubtedly, the changes have improved the safety procedures,” he added.
During the wet Brazilian Grand Prix in 2003, Michael Schumacher spun off and narrowly missed a tractor that was removing Juan Pablo Montoya’s stricken Williams.

THREE DRIVERS FOR SAUBER IN 2015 AS SUTIL HOLDS VALID CONTRACT

dms1428fe290-750x499.jpg

The Formula 1 silly season has moved on yet again between the United States and Brazilian double-header, as Sauber has confirmed an all-new driver lineup for 2015 comprising Marcus Ericsson alongside the similarly well-backed Felipe Nasr, leaving Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez in the cold.
“Unfortunately,” said Mexican Gutierrez in a statement, “After long talks and negotiations we were not able to reach an agreement. At the same time we have and are still working on several alternatives with the intention to remain in Formula 1.”
The Sutil camp, however, appears much less happy. That is because the German driver actually has in his pocket – and lodged at the contract recognition board – a signed 2015 contract with Sauber’s name on it.
dpl1406se145.jpg
“Strange move from Sauber,” Sutil’s girlfriend Jennifer Becks wrote on Twitter on Thursday. “I thought it was forbidden to sign three contracts at the same time.”
Sutil agreed that he has some serious talking to do behind closed doors, “They [sauber] confirmed two drivers, but that doesn’t mean the drivers are going to drive, and it doesn’t mean the team is going to drive.
“It’s just how it is in Formula 1 since many years – it’s a little bit of a different business,” the German said.
Even more accustomed to Formula 1’s unique ways is Jenson Button, who according to the current report mill is set to be ejected from Formula 1 after 15 years, as McLaren reportedly welcomes Fernando Alonso.
“No news I can share with you guys about my future yet,” the Briton told his almost two million Twitter followers. “Always better to hear it from the horse’s mouth.”

ROSBERG HAPPY WITH PROSPECT OF RAIN IN BRAZIL

Nico-Rosberg-F1-Grand-Prix-Singapore-Qua

Most members of Formula 1’s travelling circus touched down in Sao Paulo this week and cursed not packing an umbrella, but championship contender Nico Rosberg just beamed at the monsoonal-like conditions.
“If it’s raining all weekend, that’s just fine,” news agency SID quoted him as saying on Thursday.
That’s because Rosberg is 24 points behind his on-form Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton with just two races left to run. The German has already declared that he doesn’t mind at all if the Abu Dhabi finale’s ‘double points’ novelty is highly controversial.
“I don’t really care,” said Rosberg, “as long as I have one point more at the chequered flag in Abu Dhabi, I don’t care why or how.”
For the same kind of reason, he doesn’t mind at all if incessant, heavy, changeable or unpredictable rain at Interlagos shakes up the natural order.
“Now it’s up to me to make the most of the last two races and to seize every opportunity. It will be difficult, but I will give everything until the chequered flag in Abu Dhabi. Full attack,” he promised.

Alonso: No deadline, no Marussia deal

Fernando-Alonso_3225821.jpg

Fernando Alonso insists there's no deadline for him to decide his future and no, he's not buying the Marussia team.
With his future unresolved, the double World Champion was been the center of several rumours of late.
Some are claiming he's on the verge of signing with McLaren while others state that he is off to Lotus.
And then there is the Marussia rumour, the one that says he has bought the struggling outfit for a single dollar.
Alonso insists that is completely false nor is he being pushed into making a decision before he's ready.
"I don't think there is any deadline to do anything," said the double World Champion.
"One week it's McLaren saying something, last week it was Lotus and [Gerard] Lopez saying he was in talks about me and my future.
"It's true but not about Formula One, it's about another project we may have together, but it's on the business side [cycling] and not F1.
"Every day is a rumour and even today I read that I had bought Marussia for one dollar. It's absolutely not true!
"It's the same thing always, but the most important thing, as I said in Japan, is that two or three months ago I took a decision and followed that decision and direction and hopefully you will know soon."

Vettel not giving up on final Bull win

Sebastian-Vettel_3225820.jpg

Sebastian Vettel is hoping to take advantage of the rain this weekend as the German looks to secure his first race win of this season.
The World Champion is just two win-less grands prix away from ending his title defense without a single victory. The last time that happened was with Jacques Villeneuve in 1998.
Vettel, though, reckons he could have a fighting this weekend in Brazil as rain is forecast for the weekend with an 80 percent chance of a wet grand prix.
"I hope so," he said when asked if a win was possible. "I think there's always a chance to win no matter the race.
"But it seems that, somehow, in Brazil we have more things can happen.
"I think the weather forecast looks quite interesting as well.
"If everything goes normal, there's a dry race and you have to expect the Mercedes to win because they have quite a big advantage."
Vettel, who is reportedly off to Ferrari next season, also downplayed what has been a difficult final season with Red Bull.
Aside from his lack of wins, Vettel has just two front row starting positions, neither of which was pole, and has only been on the podium on four occasions.
The German, though, says it's not as bad as it may look.
"I think there's people that haven't won for a longer time and I think it's part of Formula 1 as well sometimes.
"I think I had races where if things had gone a little bit different this year I could have won. But equally it has been like this in the past and it probably will be like that in the future.
"Performance-wise, I think we got very close to win in Canada. If I'd pitted a lap later it's a different story.
"In terms of pace we looked very strong in Singapore as well and in Hungary. But obviously where I was when the Safety Car came out in Hungary, it didn't really favour me.
"We had some races where we were closer; the majority of races, it's not a secret: the win was out of reach because obviously the Mercedes were so far away.
"There were other races where I struggled more than Daniel, example. If you take Belgium, for instance.
"So pretty much up and down. But it has been like that for the whole season."

Lopez could consider F1 future

bahrain-formula-1-grand-prix-sakhir-mana

Aggrieved by the financial woes befalling many of the smaller teams, Gerard Lopez says he could review his place in F1 unless something is done.
Since purchasing the Lotus F1 team, Lopez has felt the financial pressure of competing in F1 while being constantly dogged by rumours of his team's pending demise.
With Marussia and Caterham recently going into administration, the financial problem facing the sport's smaller teams have been throw into the spotlight.
F1's smaller teams are now set to present a proposal to F1's owners CVC Capital Partners asking for a bigger share of the money that is handed to the teams.
Lopez has warned that if that doesn't happen, the sport could lose more teams.
Asked by Press Association Sport if he was considering his future in F1, he said: "It makes me consider the future of the sport in itself.
"To be honest, if sponsors were to consider overall, then yes, of course. We're a privately-run team and we do a lot of other things in our lives - successfully.
"I'd like to do this successfully too, but that's why we intend to stay and work something out that makes sense for everybody.
"But if the sport was blind enough to not think that way, then maybe one day day we would have to reconsider.
"We're not there yet, but someone like Andrey Cheglakov (Marussia owner) certainly reconsidered his position and look at where they are now."
Pressed as to whether he would be one of those calling it quits, the team owner said that is not on the cards in the immediate future but it could be a consideration down the line.
"For sure you're not going to hear from me that we're going to stop this year or next year. We've a budget and so on and so forth.
"The fact is what's happening now is not right for the sport, and long term, if things weren't to change, then you do have to think about whether something makes sense or not.
"For sure, we're not thinking about that now, but yes, we want the sport to have a thought and to act now.
"Be it the commercial rights holder, or be it the owner of sport, they are seriously ready to think about it.
"But it's some of the top teams who appear to be the ones who are not, which is crazy because the owners (of F1) seem to be quite interested and thinking about a way forward."

Massa endorses Interlagos safety changes

interlagos-2014-pit-entry-2-470x313.jpg

Felipe Massa says the changes made to the pit entry and exit at Interlagos should make the track safer for drivers.
The approach to the pit lane entrance has been remodelled to reduce the chance of drivers hitting the barrier which divides the track from the pit lane. Other alterations have been made where the pit exit joins the track at the Curva do Sol (turn three).
Massa, who has inspected the changes, said “the pit exit is more or less similar, a little bit more side. And I would say corner two is more safe because the wall is a bit more far away so we don’t see so many crashes which we saw many times on that corner. I think it will be a lot safer now.”
“And the pit entrance I would say it was a good job. You still have the wall there in the similar place, this is the only thing that need to be careful. But the pit entrance is better so I would say it’s more safer, it’s better.”
“I really hope we will see no accidents or less accidents than we saw in the past there. So anyway we need to drive to see exactly. It looks OK by looking, you just need to drive it to be sure about it.”
Massa criticised the stewards during last year’s Brazilian Grand Prix when he was penalised for cutting across the pit lane entrance during the race.

Australian GP at Albert Park ... Why does Formula 1 bother?

Melbourne-F1.jpg

An insightful look at the plethora of issues surrounding the Australian GP, which leads one to ask, why does F1 bother?
Formula One chooses its race venues for a host of reasons. In some cases, we are lured to pastures new by the siren call of money. In others, such as the United States, we push to establish ourselves in valuable consumer markets.
Legacy protection?
And in other cases, we appear to base our calendar decisions on little more than the force of habit.
The Australian Grand Prix is a perfect example. Since the race moved from Adelaide to Melbourne it can no longer claim any form of historic status, and even the Adelaide incarnation would have struggled to position itself as a legacy race when compared with the likes of Spa, Monza, Silverstone, and Monaco. Not that legacy is any guarantee of protection, as the loss of the French Grand Prix proved in 2009.
The problem with Melbourne
The race in Melbourne is a troublesome one. However popular the grand prix is with members of the F1 circus and fans (Including me) around the world, it is not well-loved in the state of Victoria. Formula One’s arrival into town coincides with endless op-eds in the local newspapers bemoaning everything from the sport’s effect on traffic in and around Albert Park to the cost to the taxpayer of hosting the race.
Now that F1 has put Melbourne on the map, they argue, there is no need to keep paying through the eyeballs for global exposure when everything from the Australian Open to the Melbourne Cup boosts the city’s profile for considerably less money.
In addition to the negative publicity that dogs the duration of our stay in Albert Park, finding a good time to stage the race is not easy. A night race would be great for European TV audiences, but given that the track is in the heart of a residential neighbourhood everything from the lights to the noise would be subject to complaint from local residents who already moan tirelessly (And at the same time take exorbitant rent from paying Formula 1 fans who use their apartments) about the inconvenience of having Formula One as a temporary neighbour.
As a compromise, we have a late afternoon start time that makes Melbourne more palatable viewing for the sport’s core audience in Europe, but which leaves us vulnerable to the falling twilight in the event of red flags and Safety Cars.
Logistics issue
Then there is the logistical challenge, made all the more obvious by this year’s decision to position Australia as a standalone. Geographically distant from almost everywhere, Australia is the longest of the long haul flights, making getting replacement parts trackside a two-day job. The impact of jet lag is such that F1 personnel leave early for the race, ramping up the cost of hotel bills for teams and media alike. Sea freight must be organised in December and despatched while the cars are still doing their exploratory laps of Jerez in winter testing.
Then there is the market itself. Australia is a country well-versed in motorsport, with a passionate and knowledgeable fanbase. Drivers love to race in front of the packed grandstands, and the buzz in Albert Park is on a par with that found in places like Silverstone and Montreal. On that front, there are no complaints (although Adelaide was even buzzier).
The Australian market
But the Australian car market is dead in the water, and by the end of 2017 there will no longer be an automotive manufacturing industry in the country. Ford stop production in 2016, and homegrown heroes Holden will cease building cars in Australia in 2017, with both companies pointing to the high costs of labour and materials making sustained involvement untenable.
In any case, those automotive brands represented in Formula One have never seen Australia as a core market, with local sales linked to local brands represented in the V8 Supercar Championship.
It is a similar story where F1’s sponsors are concerned. Australia - like Europe - is a mature market home to a combination of homegrown and international brands. Brand loyalty has long since been established, and there is little growth to be found through targeting the Australian market, particularly when the combination of a strong local currency, high import duties, and the punitive cost of round-the-world shipment are taken into account.
Why is Formula 1 there?
So if much of the local population doesn’t want Formula 1, and their brands and sponsors have little to gain from Australian exposure, why does Formula One continue to take that long flight to Melbourne at the start of every season?
It all comes down to personal relationships, particularly F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone’s close ties with Ron Walker, former chairman of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation. But Walker stepped down from the role in 2014, and it will be interesting to see whether the loss of that personal relationship impacts the race’s continued existence when the F1 contract next comes up for negotiation when the current deal - negotiated in part by Walker - expires in 2020.

Jenson Button says accepting new McLaren F1 deal is not a given

1415290122.jpg

Jenson Button says there is no guarantee he would accept a new deal to stay at McLaren, even if the Formula 1 team does eventually decide to keep him.
The former world champion has still not been told whether or not he will be retained for next year, with the outfit still finalising its plans as it closes in on a deal with Fernando Alonso.
While Button is awaiting a decision from his bosses, he has admitted that options he has outside F1 has left him in a situation where he could actually choose to turn his back on grand prix racing.
When asked if, in the wake of being left hanging on over a new deal, he would definitely stay on at McLaren, he said: "That is a good question that I cannot answer at this moment in time.
"When you are put in a position that many drivers have been in over the year, not sure if your contract is going to be renewed, it opens your eyes to different challenges and different possibilities.
"Whether it is racing, whether it is doing another sport, or something different altogether, for me I am excited about the challenges ahead.
"I have a lot that I am excited about, a lot of different ideas, whether it is for next year or the year after.
"This is a massive part of my life - F1 and motor racing has been - and it is not going to stop. It will continue.
"But I don't know where that is going to be right now.
"But I never feel like I am being pushed out of the sport, because I will definitely be in the sport in some shape or form. And it is going to be massively exciting."
utton says that not having a winning car is actually more disappointing for him right now than being left waiting for a firm answer from McLaren.
"This is F1, and there are many things to be disappointed about in the sport," he said ahead of the Brazilian Grand Prix.
"If you don't have a quick car, I'm a world champion and I want to win grands prix. So if you don't have a quick car you are disappointed.
"For me that is the bit that hurts more than anything else."
Button says that he is in no particular rush to get an answer from McLaren - and reckons it would make no difference if he heads to Abu Dhabi not knowing if it was his last race.
"For McLaren I guess at some point a decision needs to be taken. For me personally either way, whether it is done in next two weeks or not, doesn't make any difference. So no issue for me."
He added: "People always think of it as retiring, but I am not retiring. Whatever I do next year, I am not retiring.
"I am still a racing driver who has won a world championship and wants to go and achieve a lot more in motorsport, so I will probably have a couple of drinks if it is my last race in F1, with friends and family.
"But I don't feel I have to have a big thing made of my career, whichever way it goes."

BRAZILIAN GRAND PRIX DRIVERS’ PRESS CONFERENCE

drivers.jpg

Full transcript from the FIA hosted drivers press conference ahead of the Brazilian Grand Prix, Round 18 of the 2014 Formula 1 world championship, at Interlagos in Sao Paulo- featuring: Kevin Magnussen (McLaren), Pastor Maldonado (Lotus), Felipe Massa (Williams), Nico Rosberg (Mercedes), Adrian Sutil (Sauber) and Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso).
Nico, if we could start with you? It’s the first time this year, in this championship, that the championship itself is out of your hands, in the sense that two wins, here and in Abu Dhabi, won’t be enough. Do you feel you need to rely on a little bit of luck then and this venue might provide it?
Nico Rosberg: Yeah, it’s clear that I need to rely on something happening. Yeah, for sure there’s not enough for me to win, unfortunately, but that’s the way it is. Anyways, in sport so much can happen, so I’m still very optimistic.
You had a rich run of form from Monaco through to Hockenheim. How would characterise the period since then?
NR: A less rich run of form! What is it? Lewis has done a little bit of a better job since then. That’s it, pretty simple, but as I say, still two races.
Felipe, coming to you: obviously, you’re a two-time winner of the Brazilian Grand Prix. Do you feel that with this car this year is your best shot of getting back on the podium, since that great win in 2008.
Felipe Massa: Yeah, I think so. Anyway, I was on the podium in 2012. It’s a fantastic track for me. A track that I had great results. As you said, two victories, almost three I would say. Three pole positions. I always love this track. I won many races [here] even before Formula One. So I started my career here, on the other side of the wall, which is a go-kart track, at the top. I love this place. I love the energy that I feel here and I’m really looking forward to having a fantastic weekend. I hope our car can be as competitive as shown in the other tracks here as well. We’ll see how far we can be, or maybe even in the middle of these guys here on the left [Mercedes]. Trying to get all the opportunities to have a great race here.
You’ve obviously been a key part of Williams’ renaissance this year. With all the experience you have, tell us how you feel this team can become more competitive in 2015?
FM: Well, first of all you cannot forget how much we grow from the first race until now. I think maybe… I would say it was the team that grows more during the championship. It was a team that gets better, that improved the car in the top level, from the first race to the last race, looking at where we started and where we are now. So, I think definitely the team… when we started at the first test and where we are now, the team changed completely the organisation, the mentality. We are still changing, there are still some improvements we are working to be there before the first race of next year. But I really believe in this team. I think this team has everything to be even more competitive, it has everything to be fighting for victories and I really, really hope for championships as well.
Kevin, coming to you, obviously clear progress for McLaren on the car side in the last few grands prix, that’s clear to see. But the car still seem to have a narrow sweet spot in terms of getting the most out of it during a race weekend. What’s going on there?
Kevin Magnussen: A lot of it is down to the tyres, making the tyres work. It’s seems that sometimes we get it better than others. Sochi was an example of where we got the tyres working very well and I think Austin was an example of where we didn’t. It’s a little bit hard to understand but we’re trying out best.
Since the summer break you’ve had pretty strong form yourself personally, especially in qualifying. Do you think you’ve done enough to book your seat for 2015?
KM: I can only say I hope so. I think I’ve learned a lot. I’ve improved a lot in many areas and yeah, I’m sure I have a lot more potential even from where I am now. So, I hope so.
Pastor, coming to you, first points in Austin, a very strong performance. Tell us about your and Lotus’ fight back?
Pastor Maldonado: It was a very tough season, especially at the beginning, even not able to run the car as we wanted. It was not maybe the best way to start to work with a team. But we did a great job to try to put everything together, to get better and better and at some point we decided to be focused on next year’s car. But the team seems to be quite good, very competitive in terms of spirit. They are used to being in the front. They know how to do a good car, so let’s hope the best for next year.
How do you feel about opportunities for this weekend? This track is always very unpredictable and the weather forecast looks like it’s going to be pretty wet throughout the weekend. A lot of variables there. Opportunities?
PM: Yeah, the main objective is to maintain the performance we had last week in Austin, so we think, as a team, we can continue to fight for the points. That is the main focus at the moment.
Adrian, coming to you, obviously Sauber have announced both their 2015 drivers, so in what direction does your future lie, do you feel?
Adrian Sutil: I don’t know, so I will see what is possible, what I want and also… yeah, it’s quite a few things to think about and I can’t really say more at the moment.
Are you optimistic that you’ll be in Formula One next year?
AS: At the moment, I don’t know. Maybe. F1 is unpredictable – but as I said, there are a few things to think about first and then the team has to comment the rest.
Obviously great performance in qualifying in Austin, you must have been so disappointed the way that first lap turned out. Have you spoken to Sergio [Perez] afterwards? Have you been back through it?
AS: No, we didn’t speak. He didn’t apologise, to be honest. But anyway, that’s how it is. Shame, it was for sure a good chance for points. It was a very nice qualifying, it was good to be in Q3 finally with this car. It has been quite a challenge this year, to be honest, so we didn’t expect it – but for some reason it got better and better through the qualifying session and especially on Saturday, the car was better than ever before, so, many things to analyse. We try it of course again here. I look forward to the race weekend. Big chances with weather looking very wet and I think everyone knows how the weather can turn out here in Brazil. We have seen many exciting races.
Jean-Eric, coming to you, some encouraging noises that you may get a chance to retain your Toro Rosso seat for next year. Can you tell us about progress on that and progress on any other options you might have in Formula One?
Jean-Eric Vergne: Well yeah, there were some good words from many people, especially from Franz [Tost]. Well, you know, it would be a good thing to stay with this team, I really believe in it and I think this year we did get a lot stronger and next year we’ll be again on this up-trend, so I believe we can be again in a better position next year so hopefully we can continue. But you never know. And I don’t know much more about the situation than this.
It’s clear from watching you race in the last period of time, just more recently, that there’s a lot of passion in your driving. Is that coming from the adversity that you’ve been through, the setbacks, or is it anger? What’s driving it?
JEV: Definitely not anger. I believe that I’ve done many races in the past like this but unfortunately the beginning of the year I had a lot of DNF and obviously, when you don’t finish the race, people don’t remember what you’ve been up to in the race. That was a little bit of a shame. I haven’t changed anything. I drive with a lot of passion, I love racing, that’s what I do best and it doesn’t matter what I do next year, I continue, I don’t continue, I’ll always give my best to a hundred percent and try to have the most fun possible. This is when you perform well.
Adrian, I can imagine that you are very frustrated. Can you describe a little bit your feelings about this bad situation for you?
AS: Well, I’m not frustrated but that’s just how it is in F1 since many years. It’s a little bit a different business. That’s all I can say right now. I look forward to the race and that’s it.
Nico, we know the championship will not finish here in Brazil. Is it an add-point from a psychological point of view that you can have a last chance in Abu Dhabi?
NR: It’s… for sure it’s great. Great news that for sure this year I have a chance to win the championship the way it is now. That’s a good thing. I’m also happy because it’s good for the fans that it’s going to be exciting until the very end. And, yeah, for sure it keeps me very, very optimistic.
Nico, Lewis said that what happened in Spa was kind of a war for him and since then he changes his attitude and everything. What has it changed for you since then and what do you think you have to do now to change the results of the last five races?
NR: Did he say we’re at war? I don’t think anything has changed. It was an intense battle before and it still is an intense battle now. So, I don’t know his exact opinion on things but for me nothing has changed since then.
Felipe, can you make an overall evaluation of your first season with the Williams team?
FM: Starting with the team, the team did a fantastic season, looking at how they were last year and looking at how they are now. I think the team did a fantastic season in terms of what I was saying before: improving the car and working in the good areas. We lost some opportunities, I lost many opportunities during the season, so many races that I couldn’t finish for different reasons. Some unlucky races as well, I would say. But I think now, I would say maybe from the middle of the season, things were a lot more consistent for myself, for the races, and I really believe that we can still do a great two races for the end of the championship. I’m really working and looking forward to having a very consistent and good season in 2015.
Kevin, two part question: first of all, I take it you still don’t know exactly what your future is for next year, and secondly, then, if you don’t know what your future is, do you feel a bit let down by the team, that in your rookie year, after you’ve done your best to try and perform on the track, you’ve got two races to go and they still haven’t told you whether you’ve got a drive next year or not?
KM: They’re not doing that to annoy me. They have a reason for it.
Do you feel let down?
KM: No, because I understand why I’ve not been told yet. Some things are still not sorted out from their side and if they could let me know, they would. Yeah, I can only just wait and see what happens. I’m not planning anything else, I’m not looking for anything else. I’m planning as if I’m here next year, so that’s what I’m working for and doing my best to get to.
Adrian, I understood you had a two year contract and it seems that it’s only one year. Is this something you have to talk to Sauber about resolving? You alluded to some issues to sort out still.
AS: Yes, there are certain things to talk about, definitely, yes. They’ve confirmed two drivers but that doesn’t mean the drivers can drive and it doesn’t mean that the team’s going to drive. So there’s no real change from last weekend to this weekend. It’s just an announcement and now, of course, my situation, I think I have to do some talking, to sort out the things.
I don’t know which drivers have done a track walk or saw the new pit entry and pit exit but if somebody can comment on what they saw? Maybe Felipe?
FM: Yeah, I saw it. The pit exit is more or less similar, a little bit more inside and I would say corner two is more safe, because the wall is a bit further away, so we won’t see some crashes which we saw many times. I think that corner will be a lot safer now. And the pit entry, I would say, was a good job. You still have the wall there, in a similar place – this is the only thing that we need to be careful of, but the pit entrance is better so I would say it’s more safe, it’s better and I really hope we will see no accidents or less accidents than we saw in the past there. Anyway, we need to drive to see exactly but it looks OK by looking but we just need to drive to be sure about it.
At the beginning of the year, Nico, you were quite outspoken against double points, you didn’t like it.
NR: I do now! It’s really a fantastic idea.
I’m coming to that, yeah, and last weekend you were also saying you didn’t like it but you could see the positives. If you end up winning the championship because of double points now, the way the season’s gone, some people will say that it was a hollow victory or it shouldn’t have happened or whatever. How would you respond to that?
NR: I wouldn’t respond. Everybody can have their opinion and in sport it’s the points that count in the end and of course, then you can debate who deserved it more or less. That’s always going to be the case.
Felipe, we heard that Felipe Nasr is going to race for Sauber next year. You know him pretty well, he’s been the third driver for your team. What do you think he can bring to Sauber and what do you say about him as a driver?
FM: Well, I’m happy for him. I think for Brazil it’s great to have another Brazilian driver racing. I’m quite close to him, we’ve worked together the whole season inside the team. He’s in GP2, maybe his third season in GP2 so it’s his time, his opportunity to go to Formula One, otherwise it starts to be a little bit more difficult after that so I’m happy that he had his opportunity, his chance and I hope the best for him. I hope the best for him and I hope that we can bring our Brazilian flag on the top now with two drivers, not just one, and I hope the best for him. Definitely, it’s not a great moment for Sauber. I don’t know exactly how it’s going to be next year, his team, I don’t know which car and how competitive they can be, seeing that they are suffering a little bit of crisis and crisis is not good for everything you’re doing but anyway, I hope the best for him and I hope he can have a good start and a good experience and being in Formula One for a long time, not just for a few years.

HAMILTON: AYRTON SENNA WILL ALWAYS BE MY MAIN MAN

Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Prix-Brazil-Prev

Lewis Hamilton can expect the passionate Interlagos crowd to be on his side when the Formula 1 championship leader seeks his sixth win in a row, and 11th of the season, at the Brazilian Grand Prix, home of the late, great Ayrton Senna who the Englishman admits is his hero from childhood.
That has not always been the case at the Sao Paulo circuit, where the local drivers can count on strong support, but this year the title battle comes down to a straight duel between Hamilton and Mercedes team mate Nico Rosberg.
Hamilton, a huge boyhood fan of the late triple world champion Senna who died in 1994, is now finding a lot of Brazilians are rooting for him — including some of Senna’s own family.
The Briton has already been presented with a large mock-up of a Brazilian passport — complete with his details — and a national soccer shirt courtesy of television comedy show ‘Panico’.
“Tudo Bem (all good)?,” were Hamilton’s opening words as he faced reporters at Interlagos on Thursday. “I’ve got a Brazilian passport now. I need to learn Brazilian.”
02.jpg
The good humour was a far cry from 2008, when Hamilton ultimately prevailed over Brazilian race winner Felipe Massa by a single point to take his first title with a last corner overtake.
Six years ago, when Hamilton was at McLaren, the same comedians had tried to present him with a shirt of the Vasco da Gama club — famed for finishing second in the championship.
They also threw an unlucky black cat toy towards him at a sponsor event, urging him to pick it up.
“Anything other than 2008 is a good feeling because back then I felt it was sunny everywhere but I had this black cloud over me and it was raining,” Hamilton recalled. “And no matter which way I moved this cloud was still raining on me.”
“It was obviously a really intense weekend because everyone was supporting him. I really feel over the years I’ve seen a lot of growth in my support here in Brazil, and of course it helps I’m not going up against a Brazilian in the championship.
“I generally feel I will have a great support this weekend, and we will generally as a team,” said Hamilton.
Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Prix-USA-XhHwom4
The Briton, who leads Rosberg by 24 points with 75 still to be won from Brazil and the finale in Abu Dhabi, spoke also of his admiration for Senna and what it meant to be racing in his home town.
As a boy, he said, he would go home after a kart race and watch over and again a video tape about Senna called “Racing is in my blood”.
“He really inspired me as a kid and he still does today. I’ve always said I’d love to emulate him as a driver,” added the 29-year-old, who has a similar yellow helmet to the Brazilian.
“The fact that every now and then someone may mention my name in the same sentence as his, I feel really proud and honoured by that.
“I come here and I still feel his presence. It’s amazing that he still lives on through all these fans and the country. It’s one of the most special things I’ve ever seen anywhere.”
Hamilton has never won in Brazil, whereas Senna won his home race in 1991 and 1993, and he said he would do all he could on Sunday even if he need only finish second in the last two rounds to be sure of the title.
“I approach this race the same as I have approached the whole season really, I want to win,” he said. “I’ve never been one to want to win the championship by not winning.
“I want to win (the race) when I win the world championship rather than finish fifth or wherever it may be,” added the Briton, who finished fifth in that 2008 race that Massa won.

HORNER: F1 POLITICS SHOULD BE DEALT WITH BEHIND CLOSED DOORS

Christian-Horner-F1-Grand-Prix-Russia-Pr

Red Bull team chief Christian Horner and Mercedes‘ Toto Wolff have told Formula 1’s cash-strapped struggling teams to solve their problems behind closed doors and stop damaging the reputation of their sport, in other words: shut up and race.
Horner on Thursday led calls for the recent public threats of boycotts and strikes to end with a swift resolution to concentrate on delivering a great show and close racing at this weekend’s Brazilian Grand Prix.
He said any kind of protest by the three teams in trouble – Force India, Lotus and Sauber – would achieve nothing and suggested that even talking about the idea was hurting F1’s reputation.
“They are here to compete,” he said. “Force India is trying to beat McLaren. If they are sitting in the garage, they are not going to be going anywhere.
“That doesn’t work and doing it publicly is the wrong way to do it. What F1 has done during the last couple of weeks with the public slanging matches that have gone on is not good for the sport, because the sport should be focusing on what we have seen in America – good racing, wheel to wheel racing.
dms1425my376.jpg
“The politics and the fiscal issues should be dealt with behind closed doors, with the commercial rights holder, and get sorted.”
Talks between the three disgruntled strugglers and Formula One’s commercial ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone are expected to resume this week ahead of Sunday’s race.
Mercedes team chief Toto Wolff backed Horner’s view, “I’m not into strikes – they’ve kept me stranded with Air France and Lufthansa before. So I don’t think a strike is what you do these days, and threatening to strike even less.
“I don’t think it would be good for Formula One. That wouldn’t help the smaller teams either. It’s about sitting around the table, clearing the air, saying this is what we think should happen and then discussing it with the commercial rights holder.”

SYMONDS SAYS ALONSO WOULD NOT BE RIGHT FOR WILLIAMS

d06chn1506-750x500.jpg

Williams is not ready to contract a driver of Fernando Alonso’s stature, according to Pat Symonds, a veteran engineer who has led the British team’s technical progress in 2014 to an impressive third spot in the constructors’ championship.
As Alonso considers his next move after his apparent relationship breakdown with Ferrari, Williams has often been named as a potential dark horse destination — perhaps as a Mercedes-powered stepping stone to a full works seat in 2016.
But Williams has already announced that Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa are staying put.
Symonds, who worked with Alonso when he won his two world titles at Renault, argues that Williams should not yet be thinking about accommodating a driver like him.
“Our process of creating a winning team is not yet complete,” he told Auto Motor und Sport. “We have a few areas that we still need to work on.”
“For me, Fernando is the best driver in the sport,” Symonds agreed, “but he also needs a team around him that can handle him.
“With Alonso’s expectations, the pressure would rise at Williams to an unhealthy level that would disturb the progress the team is making,” he added.