FORMULA 1 - 2014

ROSBERG: I AM A HUNTER AND I HAVE NO REASON TO GIVE UP

dms1416ma2091-750x499.jpg

Nico Rosberg has admitted he will think more about his own interests now after Mercedes wrapped up the constructors’ championship in Russia.
The German has fallen 17 points behind in the intra-team chase for the drivers’ title, after Lewis Hamilton won the last four grands prix on the trot.
Some believe Rosberg is tightening up just as Hamilton is hitting his stride, but the German announced he will “attack with full force” beginning with next weekend’s US grand prix.
“The remaining tracks are among my favourites,” he said, referring to the final flyaway trio of races in Austin, Brazil and Abu Dhabi.
dcd1420jy147.jpg
“I have never felt pushed into a corner,” Rosberg is quoted by Sport Bild. “I am a hunter, I am hunting for the title and I have no reason to give up.
“There will be a tough fight over three challenging races,” he continued, “and I have no doubt that after thinking about the team, now it is going to be more about our own interests.”
Alain Prost, the F1 legend, agreed that although Hamilton is ahead in the standings and on form, Rosberg cannot be counted out yet.
“It’s more in favour of Hamilton,” said the Frenchman, “but he can always make a mistake at the wrong time. I would say it is 55-45,” he told Spain’s AS newspaper.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

ALONSO KEEPS F1 WORLD GUESSING ABOUT HIS FUTURE

dne1406ap662.jpg

Yet another week in Formula 1 history is passing by with little more known about the future of arguably the sport’s biggest name, and with it the final pieces of the Silly Season remain in limbo.
Insiders suggest Fernando Alonso is wavering between a McLaren-Honda contract on his terms or the very real prospect of a sabbatical as he waits for a seat at dominant Mercedes. “He hasn’t got many places to go has he?”
F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone told business journalist Christian Sylt. “There’s nowhere else other than McLaren.”
Spain’s AS newspaper claims the Spaniard has received a concrete offer from Porsche, where his friend Mark Webber already races at the fabled Le Mans 24 hours.
But while Alonso’s situation remains unclear, his current employer Ferrari waits. The Maranello team has surely signed up Sebastian Vettel to replace him, but for now, it remains unofficial.
P-20140606-00132_HiRes-JPEG-24bit-RGB.jp
Sebastian Vettel set for a Ferrari cockpit in 2015
“If you’re asking me if Vettel could be a good driver for Ferrari, the answer is yes,” newly-departed president Luca di Montezemolo said.
“He’s young, he’s a four time champion of the world, very good guy, good Ferrari client, so he has all the characteristics. So why not?”
According to Red Bull, Vettel-to-Ferrari is a done deal. Dr Helmut Marko says even the details of his release to Maranello have been concluded, as the German will be prevented from driving a red car in the post-season Abu Dhabi test.
“Sebastian may not drive for Ferrari in this test,” Marko confirmed to Auto Bild. “It is clear and we have told Sebastian.” It is an odd situation that, now some weeks since Vettel’s next move became clear, it remains unofficial.
But the insiders are already musing Ferrari’s chances of success with its new star. The latest reports out of Maranello are alarming, as the well-connected Autosprint claims aerodynamic figures from the 2015 car concept are not even as good as the ones from the disappointing current car.
d12mal1547-750x500.jpg
“They need time to rebuild everything,” F1 legend and former Ferrari driver Alain Prost told Spain’s AS, “as they have been through a lot lately and it can’t be fixed in the short term.”
The Frenchman also doubts Vettel is the silver bullet. “Alonso has proved in the past years that a driver cannot fix things at Ferrari. The managerial, technical and driver sides must come together.
“2015 will be difficult for Vettel,” Prost predicted, “but I think his move is positive. When you spend so much time with a team and are a multiple champion, it is normal to lose motivation and require another challenge.
“He is young enough to have the time to build a future with Ferrari. His position is different to Fernando, who wants to win immediately.”

MCLAREN DENY MORE KEY STAFF SET TO LEAVE

L0U4130.jpg

McLaren has denied it is set to lose more key team figures ahead of the looming Honda era.
The Woking based team confirmed on Wednesday that sporting director Sam Michael, said to be returning to his native Australia at the end of the season, tendered his resignation in March.
“It’s been 21 awesome years in F1,” said 43-year-old Michael, who joined McLaren from Williams where he was technical director. “Loved every minute of the racing and the people, but it’s time to go home — and on with the next challenge.”
A team spokesman said Michael will be on the pitwall as per usual in Austin. But he denied reports from Italy that other key members of the management team including Jonathan Neale and Tim Goss are also set to depart.
“They are not leaving and there are no plans for them to leave,” said the McLaren spokesman. He added that McLaren “regretted” Michael’s decision to leave, but that they remain “on extremely good terms”.

BARCELONA DOUBTS MADRID F1 RACE WILL HAPPEN

d13esp173-750x497.jpg

Spanish grand prix boss Salvador Servia insists reports the capital Madrid is bidding to join the F1 calendar do not worry him.
El Confidencial reported in recent days that Bernie Ecclestone is in advanced talks with private investors who want to organise a city street race.
Ecclestone, however, has already warned that after the decline of Spain’s second race at Valencia, there is now room only for one annual race per country.
Held at the Circuit de Catalunya, the existing Spanish grand prix has a contract until 2016, according to El Confidencial.
Barcelona boss Servia said: “We know nothing. Nobody has told us anything. For years we have read headlines saying that we will not have the grand prix anymore, that we have to alternate with Valencia.”
“Our reality is that we have two years left on our contract. We do not change it. We are proud of our contract and we will fulfil it,” he added. On the other hand, Servia said Barcelona remains open to welcoming a second Spanish race to the calendar.
“We survived with and we even supported Valencia,” he said. “To us it seems even good to have two grands prix”. At the same time, he has his doubts.
“You would block up the centre of Madrid for three weeks, as happens in Monaco. “But it’s all assumptions. We talk on the basis of a rumour. Today, there is nothing serious and we are calm,” said Servia.

HAAS ADAMANT HIS F1 PROJECT WILL HAPPEN

dms1406se133.jpg

Gene Haas has played down suggestions Bernie Ecclestone could freeze him out of F1 long before his team’s scheduled 2016 debut.
The American might be forgiven if he was alarmed by the F1 supremo’s latest statements, including Ecclestone’s desire for “a Formula 1 with eight teams with three cars each”.
And as backmarker Caterham sits on the brink of collapse this week, Ecclestone told The Sun: “I think it’s better they go. I don’t want people going around with begging bowls.”
But if Ecclestone’s stance sounds ominous for a small startup beginning to plan for its 2016 debut, Gene Haas told CNN, “We have a license, we will be there. Unless something changes that would be a shock to me.”
“I think Bernie’s objective is to have teams who are well-structured, well-funded and that race at a level that the world championship requires,” Haas added.
He said that with the sport’s existing teams spending between $50 million and half a billion per year,
“We should be somewhere in the middle of that”. And a powerful ally for Haas is F1’s most iconic team, Ferrari. Haas confirmed: “Ferrari wanted to go beyond being just an engine supplier and they were going to help us with the basic structures of the car.
“It’s an honour to have Ferrari help us in this way and we take all the help they can give us because you can’t really get better than Ferrari,” he said.

Force India want to avoid 'engine war'

Nico-Hulkenberg-and-Sergio-Perez_3208919

Force India have weighed in on the ongoing engine freeze debate, saying they do not want an engine war that pushes up the price.
At present, Formula 1's engine manufacturers are not permitted to develop their power units during the season while end-of-year changes are limited.
Ferrari and Renault have called for the freeze to be lifted, however, Mercedes are standing firm on their opposition.
With the strongest engine in the field, and both Championships in sight, Merc motorsport boss Toto Wolff insists lifting the freeze would have a negative impact on the cost of the engines.
And that is something Force India, who are powered by Mercedes, want to avoid.
"If it costs us money we're against it, it's as simple as that," deputy team principal Bob Fernley told Crash.net.. "Obviously we're advocating that we need to have cost control and the last thing that we need is an engine war.
"I think there are two elements to it really. One is if it increases costs we're against it, and if it's not a costing issue we will do whatever Mercedes really want us to do because they're our engine supplier at the end of the day and our partners. So we would follow their direction, but first and foremost it would be cost."
Fernley also defended the engine supplier in the wake of Ron Dennis' recent comments about Mercedes customers not have the "ability to optimise the engine" unlike the manufacturer's works team.
According to Fernley, that criticism was "probably a bit harsh" as Mercedes have been "extremely fair and where possible they give equal equipment across the board."
He did, however, concede that when "an upgrade is made clearly the works team are going to get it first and the others are going to get it within the phase of their engines coming through because they're all pre-built.
"So I think you've got to be pragmatic about it and I'm sure Ron will be running exactly the same system when he is the main Honda customer car."

Factory teams have an edge when it comes to cooling

447789344-545519692014-470x313.jpg

It’s easy to spot changes to a car’s front or rear wing, but the humble engine cover tends to undergo more subtle changes.
But this area of the car plays a fundamental role in its performance. The way it is designed highlights a key difference between teams who design their own engines – like Mercedes and Ferrari – and their customer rivals.
The new V6 turbo power units introduced this year have much greater cooling requirements than the previous V8s. The new Energy Recovery Systems create some extra heat but it is the addition of the turbo that really ramps ups the cooling requirement.
The turbocharger’s job is to shove as much air into the engine as possible. This mixes with fuel to create more power – the more fuel/air mix in the engine, the more power the unit generates. The turbo has two turbines for increasing air flowing to the engine – one drawing air in, and the second spun by exhaust gasses.
An intercooler (a heat exchange) helps reduce the temperature of this air as cooler fuel/air mix makes for a more efficient engine. This recycling of hot air through the intercooler and engine is what gives right to the dramatically higher thermal footprint of the 2014 power unit.
Given the radically different engine formula most designers chose a conservative cooling route thinking it better to optimise a working package than having to fundamentally redesign an overheating car. This is an equation that Red Bull got wrong to begin with – its pre-season test plans was wrecked by persistent overheating problems.
The basic philosophy of cooling design is to build a ‘base’ solution that delivers efficient aero performance for the majority of tracks. In addition to this design in slots for holes and louvres to allow extra heat to escape. Then at tracks with more extreme cooling needs it is simple to adapt use louvres to vent excess heat. As designers get to grips with the car’s thermal footprint the ‘base’ cooling solution will be revised.
This is the trend we have seen in 2014 and since the halfway mark of the season more teams have introduced ‘shrink-wrapped’ engine covers. The drawing below shows the Williams FW36 from Sochi.
2014-Williams-Engine-Cover-.jpg
The engine cover has shrunk by 50mm, which reduces blockage to the rear wing, improving its performance. The FW36 also features a ‘rear vented’ cooling solution with the bulk of hot air exiting at the back of the engine cover under the rear wing main plane.
This is the most common configuration and is adopted by most teams on the grid. The alternative is to vent air from the sidepods but having excess heat go under the rear wing is less aerodynamically disruptive.
It is not only a better understanding of cooling requirements that has allowed teams to shrink their engine covers. The removal of FRIC suspension has also had an effect. By eliminating the interlinked suspension teams have saved more space around the lower sidepods allowing a tighter design and a smaller coke-bottle areas.
One of the reasons why Mercedes has such an advantage is that they split the turbo between exhaust turbine and air intake which meant the exhaust gasses didn’t heat the air so much meaning the intercooler, and thereby thermal footprint, could be smaller. Not only could Mercedes better balance weight distribution towards the centre of the car, but they could also design tighter engine packaging. This slimmer package allows faster air to be fed to the rear wing/diffuser region, which translates to higher downforce.
This is why it is so beneficial to build the engine and chassis in an integrated way. Mercedes’ customer teams all have the benefit of the best power unit but have not been able to extract the same aerodynamic benefits.
It is therefore hard to see a challenge to Mercedes in 2015 coming from anywhere other than Ferrari, who have always built their own engines and chassis, Red Bull, tied more closely to Renault following Lotus’s defection to Mercedes, and McLaren with their new Honda engine.

An extended response from Tony Fernandes

tonyFernandesQPR_large.jpg

Tony Fernandes has now responded to the suggestion that the Caterham Group has failed to sign over the shares in Caterham Sport Ltd. This is rather more than yesterday’s Twitter remark, but it does little to clear up the situation.

“In June 2014, I decided, together with my co-shareholders, to sell my stake in the Caterham F1 team,” he said.
“We agreed in good faith to sell the shares to a Swiss company named Engavest on the basis that Engavest undertook to pay all of the existing and future creditors, including the staff. The continued payment of staff and creditors was so important to me that I ensured that the shares would not be transferred to the new buyers unless they complied with this condition. Sadly, Engavest has failed to comply with any of the conditions in the agreement and Caterham Sports Ltd (the UK operating company of the F1 team) has had to be put into administration by the bank, with large sums owing to numerous creditors. Our agreement with Engavest was very clear: there was no legal obligation to transfer the shares to them unless certain conditions – which included paying creditors – were met. Those conditions have not been met. Our lawyers have asked Engavest several times to comply with these conditions but they have failed to engage. If you agree to buy a business, you must pay its bills. They have breached that promise and now, sadly, it is others such as the employees and the fans of the Caterham F1 team that will suffer if the team ceases to race. I sincerely hope that this will not be the case and that a solution can be found.”
Thus we have two versions of the story. One presumes that all the money owed was written down in a clear manner so that the buyers knew exactly what they were taking on. If this was not the case, one can see why they might feel aggrieved. The lawyers will no doubt one day sort out who is right and who is wrong, but on paper it seems that if Fernandes still holds the shares then he still owns the business and if he is so keen to protect the employees then perhaps he should step in and do the right thing and get the team moving again! If that does not happen the team is dead. The parties involved can go on arguing on who killed it, but the result is the same. Not a great time to lose your job nearing Christmas... dry.png

Ecclestone to meet with Las Vegas race organisers

las-vegas-rw-roy-fre.jpg

Bernie Ecclestone will meet with the organisers of the proposed Las Vegas Grand Prix ahead of the United States GP in a weeks time.

The 83-year-old revealed that he was approached by a group of businessmen with the idea of taking F1 back to Las Vegas where it last raced in 1982.

Though the idea has been dismissed by some, it's believed plans are actually at an advanced stage with renowned track designer Hermann Tilke already having already visited the city to look at potential routes. Speaking to Autoweek, Ecclestone confirmed the meeting will take placed, but admitted he wasn't sure as to whether or not the race will actually go ahead.

"There is a consortium in Las Vegas that wants to arrange a race," he said.

"They are very serious and want me to go out there on the way to Texas so we will see.

"Whether they are going to do it I don't know," he added.

The idea of racing down the iconic Las Vegas strip is part of a plan to diversify the city and how it earns its revenues. Whilst gambling revenue hit almost £4 billion in 2013, it has been in steady decline with forecasts putting 2014 almost 12% down on the same time last year. Hotels and local businesses are keen to attract new tourists for purposes other than gambling and F1 could help do just that.

Ecclestone would welcome Caterham collapse

caterham-ct05-15532968895_37fa583170_k.j

Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone says he would welcome the collapse of Caterham, believing it would be better for the sport.

The Leafield based outfit is embroiled in an ownership row after it emerged that former owner Tony Fernandes has yet to transfer his shares in the business to Engavest SA, meaning the team is still legally owned by the Malaysian businessman.

The matter doesn't concern Ecclestone who compared their situation to street beggars, which he believes to be bad for F1's image.

"I think it's better they go," the 83-year-old told the Sun newspaper.

"I don't want people going around with begging bowls," he added.

The situation at Caterham is far from resolved, with both sides claiming to be in the right. Ecclestone says he isn't aware of what's going on exactly and doesn't really care/ "I don't know who owns them," he explained.

"I don't know and I don't care. "Let me tell you something, they will tell you whatever suits them to tell you."

Ecclestone is keen to see a handful of teams collapse in order to force the eight most competitive teams to field three cars each instead of two, so his comments are understandable.

MIKA: I personally agree with the statement Formula 1 is better off without ANY small teams period. But lets not forget it's Ecclestone who approved these teams to enter F1 in the first place.

I'd like to see some bigger names in the sport, Audi, Porsche, Volkswagen et al, but the biggest loss in all this are those men and women who will lose their jobs. All due to politics and money.

Snowplow driver and four others detained after fatal 'Total' plane crash

general-death-of-christophe-de-margerie-

Total CEO Christophe de Margerie was killed in the accident.
Riding in a mid-sized corporate jet known as the Falcon 50, Total CEO Christophe de Margerie lost his life when it struck a snowplow while still on the runway at the Vnukovo airport in Moscow, early Tuesday.
Total and Christophe de Margerie were closely aligned in Formula One with Renault-powered teams Red Bull and Lotus. They also had close ties to French driver Romain Grosjean. Three other individuals perished in the accident.
Now, five people have been detained by the Russian authorities, including the snowplow driver (Vladimir Martynenko), as they investigate the accident.
Preliminary examination shows snowplow driver was intoxicated
"Investigators believe the detained persons failed to provide safety requirements concerning flights and on-ground works and it led to the tragedy," a statement read. Following the fatal crash, the Moscow airport's Director General Andrei Dyakov and Deputy Director General Sergei Solntsev have resigned from their positions.
A preliminary medical examination revealed that Mr. Martynenko may have been intoxicated at the time of the collision, which he denies. The final results will not be released for another week or so.

No Barrichello in Austin

f1-british-gp-2013-rubens-barrichello-wi

A familiar face will be missing in action when the F1 circus reconvenes in Austin next week.
Brazil's TV Globo has confirmed that its commentary contract with pundit and popular former F1 driver Rubens Barrichello has "concluded".
The most experienced driver in F1 history, 42-year-old former Ferrari and Honda driver Barrichello has worked regularly for the Brazilian broadcaster since 2013, having contested his 326th race for Williams two years earlier.

MIKA: I personally agree with the statement Formula 1 is better off without ANY small teams period. But lets not forget it's Ecclestone who approved these teams to enter F1 in the first place.

I'd like to see some bigger names in the sport, Audi, Porsche, Volkswagen et al, but the biggest loss in all this are those men and women who will lose their jobs. All due to politics and money.

You're right about Ecclestone. I'm meh when it comes to the current smaller teams. It would be nice to see some more teams. I like competitive teams instead of a procession around 1 or 2 cars. As is, it's expensive enough, expand that to 3 cars per team it's even more so. More viable and more exciting I think to have more manufacturers involved but they won't get involve because of money. F1 is first and foremost about $$$.

• Like 1

THIRD CARS IN FORMULA 1: ARE THE SMALLER TEAMS A “NICE TO HAVE” OR A NECESSITY?

Conclusions-1_2967276.jpg?20130703112702

The sad tale around the Caterham F1 team – the latest on which is that the administrator has locked the staff out of the team’s factory today (Thursday) – has once again highlighted the plight of the smaller teams in F1. It raises the question of whether we are soon to see an F1 grid made up with third cars from leading teams and whether that loss of diversity would be damaging to the sport?

It is a subject that has come around several times, usually soon after a global financial downturn, as the money supply becomes tight. Today is no exception and F1′s commercial leader Bernie Ecclestone has been championing the idea this year, with strong interventions in July and September on the subject, as the viability of some of the small teams at the back of the grid comes into question.
As Caterham teeters on the brink amid an estimated £12-15 million of unpaid debts and legal action between new and former owners, today we are asking the question – is the diversity of the grid provided by the small teams important to F1, or should seven or eight powerful teams each field three cars and share F1′s US $750 million annual commercial revenues between them?
Tough times for small teams
The smaller teams argue that they are only in this position because those huge commercial revenues are not divided equally, with Ferrari taking $100 million off the top before they even start. Bernie Ecclestone and the top teams argue that the outfits that have been around a long time and which have been successful, should be rewarded.
So there is stalemate and the current situation: Caterham looks shaky, while Marussia is holding on for a payout at the end of the season if it can retain the ninth place it currently holds in the Constructors’ championship, thanks to the two points scored by Jules Bianchi in Monaco. Marussia is currently bankrolled by a wealthy Russian shareholder Andrei Cheglakov, but there is interest in the team from Max Chilton’s father Graham and also from a potential American investor, who has been on the scene this year. Sauber continues to roll on, despite its worst ever season in F1, but CEO Monisha Kaltenborn and team founder Peter Sauber have both said that it is a real challenge to do so.
37d4o-BERNIE-ECCLESTONE-BRIBERY-facebook
Bernie Ecclestone has been quite clear on the subject, he would rather consolidate,
“It’s always been on the cards that if we lose up to three teams then the other teams will run three cars,” he said.
“I think we should do it anyway. I would rather see Ferrari with three cars, or any of the other top teams with three cars, than having teams that are struggling.
“If you don’t have the finances, you quit. I’m ready for a Formula 1 with eight teams with three cars each.
“Is it better to have a third Ferrari or a Caterham? Ferrari could maybe find new sponsors in the USA and an American driver: fantastic. It is the same for the others.”
As each day brings fresh depressing news from Caterham, does the 84 year old ringmaster have a point?
The rules say that in the event that the grid drops below 18 cars then the remainder of the entrants can be asked to supply a third car. But is that feasible, given the time scales?
It is five months to the start of the 2015 season in Melbourne, Australia. That is not long enough for the top teams to gear up to supply a third car for a season, according to one team boss.
McLaren’s Eric Boullier spoke about third cars recently in one of the regular McLaren phone-ins, saying that for the chassis and third car logistics, “We would need at least six months’ notice.
“We have to wait, (until) obviously there is a need to run three cars and then we will see. So you can question many things about revenue, about whatever.
“At the end, if one day we are called and asked to help F1 and run three cars, we have to.”
canada-canadian-circuit-ile-notre-dame-f
Making a business case for racing in FORMULA 1
Those who worry about the loss of diversity, can look towards 2016 when the new F1 team from America, Haas F1, is due to join the series. It’s entry has been accepted and it is gearing up towards that date. Haas has a business plan for the team, to promote his Haas Automation CNC machine tools business globally, having done so successfully in the USA via NASCAR.
Haas Automation turns over around US$1 billion a year and half of its sales are outside the USA. It will use Formula 1 to generate new business in many of the key markets which F1 visits, like Asia, Middle East and South America. There is a clear plan there.
Bridgestone entered F1 in the 1990s, as a tyre supplier, with a clear strategy to increase global market share and it worked. They exited having made significant gains globally from 1997 to 2010.
There was a strategy of sorts behind Caterham, but the execution was all wrong, while it is not clear what Marussia’s strategy is. At its heart its a very good little racing team, run by Graeme Lowden and John Booth, but the overarching business plan isn’t clear.
Sauber is just another small racing team, that does not make or promote anything, it’s just a high speed billboard, but other similar offerings get more attention.
Lotus is another good race team, but again the business plan behind the whole Lotus connection has become very unclear. It exists for owner Gerard Lopez to leverage his other businesses, via the presence in the key markets that F1 visits, rather like Haas, but the constant reports of financial problems rather undermine the case.
A boost for Young Drivers?
One area where third cars probably would be positive is in the development of young drivers. With teams like Red Bull, Mercedes, McLaren, Ferrari and Williams obliged to run a third car, the most talented youngsters would have a route to F1, without needing to provide funding, which often stops them from getting a break, losing the seats to “pay drivers”. The likes of Euro F3 champion Esteban Ocon, World Series 3.5 champion Carlos Sainz Jr and GP3 challenger Alex Lynn would be far more likely to get a chance to show what they can do in F1. It would lead to a far more competitive driver market, that’s for sure.

KOLLES ADMITS CATERHAM MAY MISS AUSTIN DEADLINE

dms1409jy394.jpg

The clock is ticking down for Caterham’s and the collapse of the team is more and more likely with each day, with doubts emerging that the Leafield based outfit will be on the grid for the United States GP in Austin.
With the Saturday freight deadline for sending cars and equipment to Austin now just hours away, staff remain locked out of the Leafield factory while an unseemly spat continues to escalate between the team’s former and current owners.
Former owner Tony Fernandes, the well-known Malaysian entrepreneur, broke his silence on Thursday by insisting that the new buyer called ‘Engavest’ has not paid up.
“There was no legal obligation to transfer the shares to them unless certain conditions – which included paying creditors – were met,” he said.
The team’s operating company, Caterham Sports Limited, has been appointed an administrator on behalf of an unpaid Malaysian bank, triggering the very real danger that the recent Russian Grand Prix was the team’s last Grand Prix.
“I sincerely hope that this will not be the case and that a solution can be found,” said Fernandes.
Caterham Group Graham Macdonald was even more critical, accusing Engavest of never having “any intention” of paying its bills.
“I go on to question how anyone who was interested in the long term future of the business would appoint one of their cleaners – Constantin Cojocar – as the sole director and shareholder of the UK operating company,” he charged.
Engavest’s reaction to the scandal has been to insist that because Fernandes never handed over his shares, the Malaysian is in fact still responsible for the team and its liabilities.
In a counter-statement, the Swiss based company also accused one of Fernandes’ representatives of “breaking into a filing cabinet” at Leafield containing “private and confidential documents”, resulting in Engavest’s “total contempt of Mr Fernandes”.
Engavest, advised by serial Formula 1 backmarker chief Colin Kolles, insists it has met the conditions of Fernandes’ sale agreement.
But with the race cars locked inside Leafield by the administrator Finbarr O’Connell, it appears unlikely Caterham will be on the Austin grid, as required by Bernie Ecclestone.
“Everybody is prepared to go to Austin,” Kolles told media late on Thursday. “The problem is if the administrators are not changing their mind it is difficult.”
He dismissed O’Connell’s claims that Caterham could be rescued by a third party stepping in to buy the team.
“He lives in dreamland,” Kolles charged, according to Speed Week. “Perhaps he wants to be the team principal himself.”

WILL MARUSSIA ALSO MISS THE UNITED STATES GP?

dms1410oc430.jpg

Formula 1’s grid may have shrunk to just 18 cars by the time of the United States Grand Prix next weekend, as Marussia are also reportedly on their last legs with financial backing drying up.
Caterham’s troubles – with administrators locking the green cars inside the Leafield factory amid an unseemly spat with former owner Tony Fernandes – are now well documented.
But authoritative publications are now claiming that the similarly struggling backmarker Marussia, rocked recently by Jules Bianchi’s life-threatening Suzuka crash, is also in danger of having its engines silenced.
Michael Schmidt, the highly respected correspondent for Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, claims the team has been living “hand to mouth” since August’s Belgian Grand Prix, where Max Chilton almost sat out the race due to “contractual issues”.
dms1408ju581.jpg
“We have now learned that another cash injection is required so that the team can make the trip to Austin and Sao Paulo,” Schmidt said. “This is happening while the owner Andrey Cheglakov wants to sell.”
Russia’s Championat and Auto Bild are reporting similarly, adding that a deadline is looming for Marussia to make overdue payments to engine supplier Ferrari.
And Italian reports suggest that Ferrari has already ceased to supply technical and installation information about the customer engine for 2015.
Writing in Switzerland’s Blick, veteran journalist Roger Benoit agreed that the situation at Caterham and Marussia could mean only 18 cars line up on the Austin grid.

F1 COMEBACK BID ENDED BARRICHELLO COMMENTARY DEAL

dpl1321no168-750x496.jpg

Rubens Barrichello’s desire to return to the Formula 1 grid appears to have ended his days as a roving commentator.
I reported on Thursday that the most experienced driver in the history of the sport had concluded his commentary contract with Brazil’s TV Globo.
Brazil’s UOL Esporte is now claiming Barrichello, 42, fell out with the broadcaster due to “relationship and contract” problems, and also because he allegedly used his role to “offer his services to Formula 1 teams”.
The report said the former Williams and Ferrari driver had trouble following some instructions, like calling Red Bull ‘RBR’ instead of the name of the energy drink, for commercial reasons.
But the real trouble may have begun in Singapore last month, when Barrichello reportedly told Mercedes‘ Toto Wolff he was “ready and fit” to become the dominant team’s reserve driver.
Barrichello reportedly also lobbied last year to make his return to Formula 1 with Sauber.
“According to insiders,” UOL claimed, “Barrichello never accepted that he is a former Formula 1 driver. Coincidence or not, that (Singapore) was his last outing as a broadcaster.”
The final straw may have been when Barrichello appeared as an online presenter, breaching the conditions of his exclusive contract with Globo.
“UOL Esporte contacted Rubens Barrichello but received no response,” said the report. Barrichello’s co-pundit and friend Luciano Burti also declined to comment.
Globo denied that its relationship with Barrichello had broken down, insisting the contract was concluded “amicably”.

It’s back! The Audi-to-Formula 1 story

Audi-Logo-C600-.png

When news broke a few weeks ago about Audi hiring former Ferrari team boss Stefano Domencail, you could sense the speculation about what his role might be. Could it be a role at Ducati in MotoGP or possibly in the World Endurance Championship (WEC) at Le Mans? What would the role be for Stefano?
The immediate thoughts were that perhaps Dr. Wolgang Ulrich might be ready to step aside but that seemed odd as Domencali hasn’t had a lot of WEC sports car experience. Assuming he would need some before taking such a high-profile role in a team that has dominated the series for years.
When you add the unknown element of Formula 1 ex-pat Domenicali with the rumors of Sauber or Toro Rosso or even Red Bull to the equation, you get a story such as the one at motoring.com.au in which they suggest that this story has more legs than a Radio City Rockettes concert.
According to Mr. Taylor at the site, Audi is set to dump its DTM program as well as its WEC program (leaving it to VW group’s sister team Porsche) in order to focus on an assault on Formula 1. Could Mercedes AMG Petronas’s success be a siren call to the folks in Ingolstadt?
The article uncovers several possibilities and I applaud Mr. Taylor for his thoughtful consideration about how or where Audi might fit into F1. Sauber is a beleaguered team in need of a major investor while Red Bull has serious power unit issues with their Renault Sport F1 supplier. Toro Rosso has always seemed like a team without a real future other than providing seats for youngsters at a very big expense.
Have a read (motoring.com.au) and see what you think of Mr. Taylor’s assertions on who Audi might buy and let us know what you think. If Dietrich is tired of Renault and losing Vettel and Newey, he may be interested in backing out and remaining a major sponsor. Who knows?
The article gets even more into the weeds by suggesting that even Fernando Alonso’s wayward situation could find him on sabbatical for 2015 only to lead the charge to a new Audi team in 2016. Whew! We’re really rolling with the assumptions now.
On my side of the coin, I wonder if Audi might not be considering a Honda-like move in which they enter F1 as an engine supplier and one has to wonder if they aren’t looking at possible power unit development in the form of hybrid. Not sure F1 would let them bring their TDI diesel technology to the dance. That would be a game changer and outside the current regulations–although I would welcome it.
I also would be elated with any involvement Audi might entertain in F1 because I have been a big fan of the company for many years. Having owned five of them, my friends called me Lord of the Rings. A dirty secret though, I bought my first BMW a few years ago and the boys in München know how to build a damn car! Amazing piece of kit this M5. I was gutted when BMW left the sport and left Peter Sauber holding the bag.
Now, the age-old “Audi is coming to F1” story has been beaten so mercilessly that the corpse is simply moving under the force of kicking it and giving some semblance of life. If there is one thing I'm tired of hearing and re-posting, it’s more Audi-to-Formula 1 stories but maybe this one has some gravitas. Maybe this time, Audi has made the decision. Let’s face it, they have little to prove in WEC and Porsche being there seems redundant for the VW Group. So two VW brands are now winning the series? Uh…okay.
Why not take on the Silver Arrows and show them how the Auto Union does things? Bring it!

FIA won't force third cars in 2014 even if Formula 1 grid shrinks

1414139231.jpg

The FIA has ruled out asking Formula 1's top teams to run a third car this season, despite growing doubts about grid numbers at the end of the 2014 campaign.
With Caterham battling to get its cars to the United States Grand Prix, and uncertainty about Marussia's plans after it ran a sole entry in Russia, there is a chance there could be fewer than 20 cars on the grid in the final three races.
If grid numbers fall below 20 then clauses in the commercial arrangements between teams, the FIA and Formula One Management mean that some outfits could be asked to run an extra car.
But with agreements believed to state the teams will get 60-days' notice to run a third car, and clarification about the livery, driver qualification and points-scoring capability of an extra machine still needed, such a move has been ruled out for now.
High level sources have confirmed that, for the remainder of 2014, the FIA will not seek replacement cars on the grid to bolster numbers up to 20 in the event that entries fall.
DOUBTS OVER 2015 PLAN
Even if the door would be theoretically open for third cars in 2015, bigger teams are still not convinced it is a realistic proposition.
Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff said recently that he thinks it could not happen without a very long lead time.
"It is reflected in the regulations that if the grid falls below 20 cars, the FIA and the rights holder may ask a team to supply a third car," said Wolff about the latest situation regarding third cars. "Now, that is quite a call.
"First of all, you need to set up and do the logistics, the infrastructure and the resources to run a third car.
"Then you need intelligent rules around who runs a third car. Where is it being run? Who drives it? Is it going to score points? And which livery will it be running?
"There is so much to be sorted out before we can run it and I don't see it happening.
"I knock on wood as I hope that all teams will stay in F1. But if the past history has shown that teams come and go, then this is not something that would be a great shock."

Button says he would not fear having Alonso as F1 team-mate in '15

1414149995.jpg

Jenson Button says he would not be scared of being Fernando Alonso's team-mate in Formula 1, should they end up paired at McLaren next year.
Button's own F1 future remains uncertain while the Woking squad works on a deal to sign Alonso when he parts with Ferrari at the end of the 2014 season.
The two could end up as team-mates if McLaren reaches agreement with Alonso and offers a fresh deal to Button, who is out of contract at the end of the current campaign.
When asked by AUTOSPORT how he would feel about having Alonso as a team-mate, Button said he would not be cowed by the Spaniard's formidable competitive reputation.
"For me, working with any driver up and down the grid, nothing scares me of working with a world champion," Button said.
"I've worked with two in the past - Jacques Villeneuve, when I was young, and with Lewis [Hamilton] for three years.
"I'm not fearful of any team-mate, and I find it exciting learning new people and the way people work, because it's not always what it might seem from the outside."
Button also praised current team-mate Kevin Magnussen, who also faces an anxious wait over his F1 future until the Alonso situation is resolved.
"I love working with team-mates that give it their all, are technically sound in terms of understanding a racing car and what to do with set-up, and are completely open, and that's something Kevin definitely has," Button added.
"He arrived inexperienced, so initially a lot was me developing the car, but he's learned so fast in terms of setting up the car.
"I think we have a very similar feel and direction, so it's been really good working with Kevin."

Kvyat says he won't change approach for Red Bull F1 team

1414161383.jpg

Daniil Kvyat says he will not alter his approach to Formula 1 when he graduates from Toro Rosso to Red Bull next season.
The Russian rookie will replace Ferrari-bound four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull in 2015, earning promotion from Toro Rosso after his first 15 races in F1.
The 2013 GP3 champion says he will not have to adjust the way he goes racing next season, despite the extra pressure of driving for a top team.
"To be honest, my approach since I have come to Formula 1 hasn't changed a lot since I was in GP3 or Formula 3," Kvyat said, when asked by AUTOSPORT if he would have to make adjustments to adapt to his new team.
"It's proved to be efficient, and it doesn't need to be changed too much.
"Red Bull picked me up because they like my current approach, so I am not planning to change anything, because this is probably why they decided [to go] with me."
Kvyat's future team-mate Daniel Ricciardo, who has won three races in 2014, reckons his own success alongside Vettel at Red Bull this season has probably encouraged the team to promote Kvyat, despite the Russian's inexperience.
"I guess Red Bull took a bit of a risk signing me up. I think I worked; I went well, so with Seb leaving they had pretty much the same opportunity [with Kvyat]," Ricciardo said.
"Danny is a bit less experienced, but I guess they have the same believe in him as they did with me.
"So it's his time to now try and step up, and time for me to make his life difficult!
"But we get on well so I have no concerns with him coming in next year."

ECCLESTONE: CATERHAM AND MARUSSIA NOT GOING TO AMERICA

Marussia_6466_HiRes-750x497.jpg

The struggling Caterham and Marussia Formula 1 teams will both miss next week’s United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, the sport’s commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone told Reuters on Saturday.
“Neither of those two teams are going to go to America,” said the 83-year-old.
Their absence will increase concern in the sport, whose smaller outfits have been saying for some time that they risk going out of business unless costs are slashed, even though Ecclestone has said he would be happy with 10 teams.
Caterham went into administration on Friday while Russian-registered Marussia are also struggling financially and are still reeling from French driver Jules Bianchi’s serious accident in Japan three weeks ago.
The air transport for all the teams’ cars and freight is organised by Ecclestone’s Formula One Management and they were due to be flown out last Saturday.
Representatives of Marussia, who are currently ninth in the championship thanks to Bianchi’s ninth place in Monaco in May, were not immediately contactable.
dcd1011no04-750x496.jpg
However Caterham’s administrator Finbarr O’Connell told Sky Sports television that the cars remained in the factory at Leafield.
“The racing kit was heading towards Austin but it’s still in the UK. It will stay in the UK and hopefully if Caterham races in one of the last races we will ship the racing kit from here,” he said.
O’Connell added that there had been “10 to 15 serious interested parties on the phone today and we are speaking to all those and getting information together for them to examine.”
By missing the race in Austin, the two teams will also be absent from Brazil since the races are back to back with the cars going direct from the United States to Brazil before returning to Europe.
The 19th and final race of the season is in Abu Dhabi on Nov. 23, when double points are to be awarded for the first time. Ecclestone said on Friday that Caterham had been given a dispensation to miss the next two races while they sought a buyer.
Marussia’s absence, apart from giving 10th placed Sauber more of chance to overtake them in the championship, will leave the grid in Austin with only nine teams and none of the three entirely new entrants that made debuts in 2010. Of that trio, HRT folded at the end of 2012.
dcd1205no53.jpg
The 18-car grid will be the smallest since Monaco in 2005, when the BAR team were banned for two races for a breach of the technical regulations.
The absence of Marussia also wrecks the hopes of American Alexander Rossi, the reserve driver, making a home appearance at Austin although the team had yet to make any announcement about their line-up.
Rossi almost stepped in at the Belgian Grand Prix for Britain’s Max Chilton when contractual problems emerged.
At the time, Chilton’s management suggested he had voluntarily stepped aside “to allow the team to attract much-needed funds by selling his seat” and Marussia were in talks with new investors.
Reports in the European media have indicated that Russian majority owner Andrei Cheglakov has been looking to sell for some time.
Ferrari-powered Marussia ran only one car in Sochi, Russia, two weeks ago, as a mark of respect for Bianchi who remains in critical condition in hospital in Japan after his horrific crash at Suzuka. There has been no medical update on Bianchi’s condition since Sochi.
Caterham’s two drivers are Japan’s Kamui Kobayashi and Sweden’s Marcus Ericsson.

Stewart: Drivers are taking liberties

Jackie-Stewart_3221293.jpg

Jackie Stewart feels it is not just F1's powers-that-be that need to learn from Jules Bianchi's crash but also the drivers who "are not bulletproof."
Three weeks ago, Bianchi suffered a diffuse axonal traumatic brain injury when he crashed into a recovery vehicle in the wet at the Japanese Grand Prix.
Although the Frenchman's family and Marussia team have not released any updates on his condition in recent days, he is believed to still be in a critical condition.
Bianchi's crash sent shockwaves through the world of motorsport with the FIA putting together a 10-person panel to investigate the accident.
While skirts on tractors and a mandated yellow flag speed limit are just two of the proposal to hopefully prevent a similar occurrence, Stewart says drivers also have to stop taking liberties.
"Liberties are being taken today that frankly we could never have taken in years gone by," the triple World Champion told BBC's 5 live F1.
"The accident of Bianchi may have brought a little bit of realisation to everyone that they are not bulletproof."
The Scot, a staunch advocate for safety in motorsport, added that drivers need to be more cautious when racing one another but fears that it will take "a fatality" for them to realise the wrongs they are committing.
"The clashing of wheels and close overtaking manoeuvres could easily have ended in tears," he said.
"We shouldn't forget that on the back of the ticket it says that motor racing is dangerous.
"Sadly - and it is a terrible thing to say - it will probably need a fatality to actually bring back to everybody's understanding what you cannot and should not be doing."

Magnussen vs Button: Who'll Win?

jenson-button-kevin-magnussen-mclaren_31

What are the pros and cons of the Jenson vs Kevin argument:

• There's no doubt that Kevin Magnussen has great single lap speed and despite being a rookie leads Jenson in the qualifying battle 9-7.
  • When it comes to racing, though, Button is a long way down the road, leading the Dane 94-49 in points scored. In the 14 times they've both finished, Jenson has been ahead 12 times out of the 14. And the difference would have been bigger but for a late-race retirement for Jenson in Singapore. The current Team-Mate Wars score is an overwhelming 13-3 to Jenson.
  • There is no question that Magnussen would be a lot lighter on the wage bill than Button. But he would also be far less attractive to sponsors, such as Santander. Jenson Button is instantly recognizable and has fronted up TV and poster campaigns for the bank in the UK and neither Magnussen or Alonso would be able to do the same.
  • Both Jenson and Kevin are good in mixed conditions, but Button's ability to judge grip on a damp track is unmatched anywhere down the grid. His win for McLaren at the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix was the perfect example of that. Similarly, in Suzuka this year, he made up a great number of places by switching to Intermediates on the first lap after the Safety Car came in. His win at the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix is one of the best of all time.
  • Kevin has been prone to contact in his opening season, mixing it on the opening lap with Kimi Raikkonen more than once and hitting his wing in Malaysia and further contact in Bahrain. In Belgium he was close to taking both Hulkenberg and Alonso out of the race (the latter of which could have been an incident bigger than Fernando's Grosjean/La Source accident). He also got a penalty for pushing Valtteri Bottas over the first chicane kerbs in Italy.
  • Jenson has a high profile in Japan. He has a beautiful Japanese girlfriend and the scenes at Suzuka with Jessica Michibata, the year of the devastation of 2011 (when there were worries that the race might not even be run) will live long in the memory.
  • Button knows how the Japanese company works. He was with BAR-Honda, which morphed into Honda, from 2003-08 and so has both a great depth of cultural insight and the way to approach problems in the company - something that even Fernando Alonso (sometimes described as a "difficult" personality) might struggle with.
  • Jenson was also the first Honda F1 team race winner since 1967. In 2006 he won the Hungarian Grand Prix from 14th on the grid to take the Japanese marque's comeback win. Another stunning win in mixed conditions.
  • Jenson can be a bit of a ginger whinger at times, but mostly because he likes the car to be perfectly balanced, and is less adept than former team-mate Lewis Hamilton at driving round problems.
  • Honda will be on a steep learning curve in 2015 and need experience, not just in the hybrid engines of 2014, but in relating engine power to traction and the vital experience of managing tyres that Jenson can bring after 15 seasons in the sport.

Conclusion: Button represents a no-risk option to a team (McLaren) that needs to maximise its sponsorship potential following a year when it has no title sponsor. He can also help give Honda the maximum amount of feedback in what could be a troublesome debut year back in F1. Magnussen's racing style is more abrasive and aggressive than Button's and he can certainly get the most out of the car on a single lap, but loses out in races. A one-year step-back to reserve driver for Magnussen, while Button helps start the new Honda era has got to be the best use of their drivers.*

*Although with the prospect of 3-car teams brought ever closer by Caterham and Marussia failing to show up in the USA, the whole argument might become academic!

Lotus to test 2015 nose in Austin

bahrain-formula-1-grand-prix-manama-sakh

Lotus will trial a non-forked nose during Friday's first practice for the US GP in preparation for next season.
This season the team developed an unique nose for their E22 as it features twin tusks which are slightly different in length.
However, next season the regulations governing the noses of the cars are set to change prompting Lotus to get a move on with development.
As such, the team will test the new nose in Austin, although technical director Nick Chester says it is not the exact design the team will use in 2015.
"This will be for evaluation and aero data logging," he said. "It's something we're doing as part of our preparations for the E23 Hybrid, next year's car.
"It won't be the definite launch E23 nose but it is an E23-style nose that we are putting on an E22 for evaluation.
"We don't expect it to perform as such on the current car as it hasn't been optimised for the E22 but it will still be an interesting comparison."
As for the team's preparations for next season, a campaign that they hope will be vastly different to this year's misery, Chester said: "Nearly all of the resources are on the E23 now and a good chunk of them have been for some time.
"We are starting to laminate the first race chassis which is on schedule. Gearboxes have been cast and will be machined shortly. We have pretty much finalised the cooling system.
"We have also been discussing various aspects with Mercedes while we finalise the power unit installation. Most of the suspension is designed now, so we are really a good way along."