FORMULA 1 - 2014

Force India waiting on Ferrari line-up

Nico-Hulkenberg-in-thought_3206845.jpg

Force India won't confirm their 2015 line-up until after Ferrari as uncertainty over the latter's drivers could yet affect Nico Hulkenberg.
Hulkenberg has, for several seasons, been linked to Ferrari, however, as yet nothing has materialised.
Last season many thought the German would be heading to Italy after spending a year with Sauber but Ferrari instead opted to partner Kimi Raikkonen with Fernando Alonso.
The team is set for another change next season as Alonso is leaving and is expected to be replaced by Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel.
There are also still questions about whether Raikkonen is definitely staying or if a second seat will open up.
And until Ferrari confirm their full line-up, other teams including Force India are unable to lock down their drivers.
"There are always elements in contracts that just have to be finalised out," deputy team principal Bob Fernley told Crash.net.
"Those will be done over the next week or two, but fundamentally it's a done deal for going forward.
"Maybe not by Austin, we're not always the quickest to announce our driver line-ups!"
Pressed as to whether Ferrari's delay in announcing their line-up was impacting Hulkenberg's confirmation, he said: "There's an element of that, yes, because obviously that's part of the contracts we have with Nico. So we have to take that in to consideration.
"Those are the elements that delay things slightly and then obviously you finish them off."

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

'Ricciardo is up to the challenge

Daniel-Ricciardo-garage_3210283.jpg

Dietrich Mateschitz is confident Red Bull won't suffer as a result of Seb Vettel leaving as in Daniel Ricciardo they have a driver to "fill these shoes."
Vettel joined Red Bull Racing back in 2008 and his arrival sparked a massive step forward for the Formula 1 team.
With a run of four successive World titles, Vettel and Red Bull rewrote the record books, however, that partnership is almost over.
Vettel will leave Red Bull at the end of this season, promoting Ricciardo to de facto team leader.
And although 2015 will be only his second season with the Milton Keynes team, Mateschitz believes the 25-year-old Aussie is up to the task.
"If we did not have a 'team leader' then the situation would look slightly different - but we knew that Daniel would fill these shoes, so things were much easier," the Red Bull owner told The Age.
"We always knew that he can fill anybody's shoes."
Mateschitz, however, added that Ricciardo and his new team-mate Daniil Kvyat will have equal treatment.
"All our drivers are always treated equally," he said, "the only difference will be that between him and Daniil next year, he has more experience."

'Ferrari need engine cost calculator'

Toto-Wolff-and-Marco-Mattiacci_3218531.j

Toto Wolff has rubbished Ferrari's claims that unfreezing engine development won't push up the cost of Formula 1 engines.
With Mercedes romping away with this year's titles, partly due to the power of their Mercedes power unit, rival engine manufacturers have called for the ban on in-season development to be lifted.
Ahead of the F1 Commission, Ferrari have insisted that allowing development will not increase the cost of the engines.
Wolff says that notion is ridiculous.
"We are developing an engine and power unit until the end of the year, and then it is being manufactured, frozen and then delivered to customers at the same time," Wolff told Autosport.
"If you have a development cycle in-season, and you bring a new spec in season for the end of June/end of July then the whole development process, because the most expensive bit is running parts on the dyno, is happening twice a year.
"I don't know how they [Ferrari] make that calculation - but we probably need to send them a calculator.
"There is no way you are not spending more. You are spending considerably more and every other argument is just because they don't think they are where they should be."
However, Ferrari team boss Marco Mattiacci is not impressed by Wolff's comments.
"I think what is unfair is that Toto [Wolff] offered me a calculator, because he says we are not good at calculations," he said. "Honestly, from our point of view, there is not a cost increase."

'Major upgrade' for McLaren

Eric-Boullier-2_3188116.jpg

Despite only three races remaining, McLaren will introduce a "major upgrade" before the end of this season as it will carry over to next year.
The Woking team is currently fifth in the Championship having leapfrogged Force India in Japan before pulling away at the next race in Russia.
The Sochi event was McLaren's second best haul of the season with Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen fourth and fifth, scoring 22 points.
But with 100 points in total still to play for, 50 of which could be scored in Abu Dhabi alone, many teams are still attacking on the development front and McLaren are no different.
The team will introduce "major" updates before the end of this season as Racing Director Eric Boullier says they will be useful next season.
"We are not chasing championship position, we are chasing the final restructuring of the team; to be ready to build on the new structure, to be competitive sooner rather than later," Boullier said.
"The reason [for the upturn] is the major upgrade which we brought to Singapore. It is true we have another major upgrade coming before the end of the season.
"It is not designed to bring advantage for the double points [available in Abu Dhabi], it is more about building the foundations for the future. One hundred percent [of 2014 developments] are applicable to next year's car."
Pressed as to whether there was any chance of McLaren catching Ferrari in the Constructors' Championship, Boullier said that while it is possible to close the 45-point gap, it is not McLaren's goal.
"It is more about bringing the momentum back to the team and getting some good results in the last three races," he insisted.
"If the performance on our car is good and we can deliver some strong races like Russia we will see if we can take back another championship position - I would be delighted to. [but] I don't think we have a clear target this year other than rebuilding the team and getting ready to fight back as soon as possible."

Prost: Shift in Merc dynamics

Alain-Prost_3218042.jpg

In the run in to the World title, Alain Prost believes Lewis Hamilton holds the advantage at Mercedes and has since the fall-out from Spa.
Hamilton failed to see the chequered flag at the Belgian GP after team-mate Nico Rosberg crashed into him.
Despite being aware that a collision was likely, Rosberg refused to back down and punctured Hamilton's tyre.
The Brit later retired while the German raced to the second place.
However, since then it has been all Hamilton.
The 2008 World Champion has won four successive races to take a 17-point lead over his team-mate in the race for the Drivers' title.
Prost told ESPNF1:: "I don't know what is happening now after Spa, but it looks a little bit strange.
"I don't know if you can say preference, but something has changed a little bit. The dynamic has changed.
"You can feel it, you don't see it. And with a feeling you don't know if it's true, but when you are inside the team if you can feel something - true or not true - when you start to feel something you have lost."
And the Frenchman reckons the change could prove a mental battle over at Mercedes.
"Only a small detail can change the atmosphere," he added. "I always say that the people around you are very, very important. The people around you, and then obviously the press and the media at the end, but not at first.
"If you feel just a small thing inside the team - that you could have the preference or something different - then it can destroy yourself. Everything you want is in your head and it's very difficult to manage that."
MIKA: I have a lot of respect for Prost, unlike Berger and Villeneuve, he rarely causes stir, but it still bemuses me when past drivers get in the spot light and make comments based on obvious fact. In this case Hamilton has the advantage, dah!! Yes, he's in the lead, for now. Rosberg IMO is far more mature to handle the mental battle between Lewis and himself. Lets wait and see, 3 races to go. My money is on Rosberg.

2014 Russian Grand Prix fans’ video gallery #1

The new Sochi Autodrom has held its first round of the world championship. But how did it look from the perspective of the spectators in the stands?

Find out with this selection of fans’ videos from the first Russian Grand Prix.
Around the Sochi Autodrom

Turn three

Kubica still holds hope of 'dream' F1 comeback

Robert_Kubica_09875.jpg

Robert Kubica still holds hope that a Formula 1 comeback might be possible within the next few years should further surgery to his hand and arm prove successful.

The Polish driver was involved in an accident whilst competing in a rally ahead of the 2011 F1 season. His right-hand was partially severed and his arm badly injured.

Despite various operations and physiotherapy, he's yet to regain full movement which would make driving an F1 car near impossible due to the dimensions of the cockpit - though he has enjoyed a relatively successful World Rally Championship career since.

Speaking to the BBC, Kubica revealed that another operation this winter could give him the movement he needs to make a "dream" return to F1.

"The arm and hand are OK," said the one-time race winner.

"From a mobility point of view, there have been some improvements. From a limitation point of view, it's pretty much the same.

"So I need to have more surgery - and there are possibilities - but it's a tight season, there are many rallies and they are long events. "Formula 1 would be a dream to come back but we have to stay realistic," he added.

"If I decide to try and come back I will have more surgery this winter and maybe with the help of the doctors, and with some luck, it will be possible."

“DIVIDED” FIA PRESIDENT JEAN TODT TALKS ABOUT HIS FEELINGS ON JULES BIANCHI & MICHAEL SCHUMACHER

f1-gp-canada-2014-domenica-b-00033.jpg

FIA president Jean Todt is suffering as two drivers with whom he has close links with, lie in limbo with serious head injuries.
Michael Schumacher, with whom Todt won five world drivers’ championships at Ferrari, was hurt in a skiing accident almost a year ago and Todt is one of the few non-family members to be allowed access to the inner circle who know precisely what condition the stricken champion is in and is playing an active role in his recovery.
The other, which comes with multiple additional complications for Todt, is Jules Bianchi, who is managed by Todt’s son Nicolas and who lies in a hospital bed in Japan two weeks after one of the worst accidents in recent Formula 1 history. Not only does Todt have a personal interest in Bianchi, but also a professional one as the FIA is under pressure to investigate how Bianchi came to hit a heavy tractor during a race and to implement improved safety around dangerous accident recovery situations.
“I have to divide the thing in two: my responsibilities as President of the FIA and my feelings. I see my son devastated by the fact that someone he thinks of like a brother is in this situation,” say Todt in an interview with La Gazzetta Sportiva today.
“We should never take anything for granted and never relax on safety,” adds Todt. “I was saying it before Jules’ accident and I am saying it now. People have seen many years where terrible accidents happened and the driver walked away. They started to think that it is normal for a car to crash at 200km/h and for no-one to get hurt, But it was not normal, it was a miracle. Behind all of that has been an astonishing amount of work. But 100% safety in our sport does not exist”
FIA-Charlie-Whiting-and-Jean-Todt_321501
Todt talks about of “a sequence of events which led to the accident.
With the benefit of hindsight everything may seem simple. But fate can have dramatic consequences. We have explained the incident in detail and I have set up a commission to investigate it further under the chairmanship of Peter Wright. Let’s wait for the conclusions before we judge. For the moment I have left the explanation to the Race Director.”
The explanations for the accident, given by the FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting in a briefing in Sochi, were accepted by some sections of the media and by fans, but others felt that his complete exoneration of himself from blame left something to be desired.
This was particularly true in the Italian media. Todt supported his team in the Sochi briefing and gave them a vote of confidence.
“The world is divided into 200 countries. Each has their own idea,” says Todt.
“The reaction of the Italian media has been against, but in Germany it is different, the UK too. But as I say, let’s wait for the findings of the commission.”
Todt says that he has been to visit Schumacher recently.
“I saw Michael three days ago. He has an amazing wife and family. The battle goes on. With him it’s a friendship, an affection. We suffered a lot together before we started winning that the closeness grew. And in moments of need you see your friends.”
f1-schumacher-ferrari-todt-inline.jpg?it
Todt oversaw Ferrari during its most successful period and a final point of note from the Gazzetta Sportiva interview is a warning to new Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne to approach the challenge of turning the Ferrari F1 team around calmly. This week saw the Canadian heaping pressure on the team by saying he wanted to “kick ass quickly” and adding that Ferrari’s poor showing in Monza this year “made my blood boil”.
Todt says: “What advice would I give? To react calmly and pragmatically. When a setback like Monza happens you need to remember that at that point Alonso was the only driver to have finished every race in the points. Remember what reliability issues we had at the start.”
Todt was asked to compare the five year streak with no world title for Fernando Alonso at Ferrari, to the first years of Michael Schumacher from 1996 to 1999,
You can’t draw parallels,” he says.
“The first Ferrari of Michael was much further behind the competition compared to the Ferrari of Alonso today. When I arrived on a scale of 1 to 10 we were at 2. In 2009 they started from a 7.”

BRAWN AND DOMENICALI ON BIANCHI ACCIDENT PANEL

d08fra490.jpg

The composition of a new FIA Accident Panel, as announced by FIA President Jean Todt in Sochi on 10 October 2014 following the accident involving Jules Bianchi at the Japanese Grand Prix, has been established.
The group will carry out a full review of the accident to gain a better understanding of what happened, and will propose new measures to reinforce safety at circuits, with recommendations to be made for the FIA President. The work of the group will start this week and a full presentation of its findings is to be made at the next meeting of the World Motor Sport Council on 3 December 2014 in Doha, Qatar.
Peter Wright, Chairman of the FIA Safety Commission, has been entrusted with the Presidency of the newly established accident panel, and the full list of panel members can be found below.
f1-2014-gp-japon-suzuka-jules-bianchi-ma

Composition of the Accident Panel:

Presidency

• Peter Wright, President of the Safety Commission

Members

• Ross Brawn, former Team Principal of Mercedes F1 Team, Brawn Grand Prix and former Technical Director of Scuderia Ferrari
  • Stefano Domenicali, former Team Principal of Scuderia Ferrari
  • Gerd Ennser, Chief Stewards’ representative
  • Emerson Fittipaldi, President of the FIA Drivers’ Commission, F1 Steward
  • Eduardo de Freitas, WEC Race Director
  • Roger Peart, President of the Circuits Commission, President of the ASN of Canada, F1 Steward
  • Antonio Rigozzi, Advocate, Judge at the International Court of Appeal of the FIA co-opted by the teams
  • Gérard Saillant, President of the FIA Institute and President of the Medical Commission
  • Alex Wurz, President of the GPDA, drivers’ representative

MIKA: Health and Safety fans who have made such a fuss since the Bianchi accident in Suzuka, you can read in the news today that at least 39 people have just been killed while hiking in Nepal, because there were snow storms and avalanches that were not expected. An avalanche in April on Mount Everest also killed 16 sherpas. This is terribly sad, FIFTY-FIVE lives lost, but I don’t hear anyone crying scandal or looking for someone to blame. Those involved knew the risks. Surely you have to ask why were these people not protected?

What exactly is the difference between taking risks on a race track and trekking in a dangerous place? looking.gif

HULKENBERG CONFIRMED BY FORCE INDIA FOR 2015

jm1416oc02.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg will remain a Force India driver for the 2015 Formula 1 World Championship season, the team confirmed with the following statement:
Sahara Force India Formula One Team is pleased to confirm that Nico Hulkenberg will continue to race with team for 2015.
The 27-year-old German returned to Sahara Force India at the start of 2014 and has enjoyed his most successful Formula One season to date. With points finishes in 13 races, including four fifth place finishes, Nico remains one of the most exciting drivers on the Formula One grid.
Vijay Mallya, Team Principal and Managing Director: “Everybody in the team is delighted to see Nico remain a Sahara Force India driver for next season. We rate him very highly and he has done a tremendous job this year by consistently picking up crucial championship points.”
“We know him extremely well: he’s a true racer and he knows how to motivate the team. I am convinced he is one of the best talents on the grid and I am proud that he will continue to race in the colours of Sahara Force India,” added Mallya
Nico Hulkenberg: “It’s good to confirm my plans for next season. This is a team I know extremely well and we’ve enjoyed a great year together with some special results. The team has big ambitions and I believe we can have a competitive package once again next year.”
“We have a strong partner in Mercedes and everyone in the team is motivated and hungry for more success. I have a good feeling for 2015 and there is a lot to be excited about as we try to build on the results we have achieved this year,” concluded Hulkenberg.
MIKA: Great news, Nico is doing well and if Forece India have a similar car next year, he could get a podium for sure.

RICCIARDO: VETTEL HAS BEEN VERY RESPECTFUL TO ME

Sebastian-Vettel-Daniel-Ricciardo-F1-Gra

Sebastian Vettel behaved impeccably in 2015, despite plotting his Red Bull departure according to Daniel Ricciardo who, in his first year with the team, has outclassed his illustrious teammate.
Ricciardo, who having established himself as an undisputed Formula 1 star with three wins this year is now set to become the number one at Red Bull as Vettel prepares to leave the team for Ferrari.
The Australian said that even as he rattled the reigning quadruple world champion’s cage in 2014, Vettel dealt with the situation maturely, “He was very respectful to me on the first day and he remained respectful to me after my third win. I’m sure he would love to have won this season”
“There must be some frustration inside, but he has not shown it at any time.
It is to his credit that he hasn’t said anything to me, or in front of me. Maybe he has behind closed doors, but it was not visible to any of us,” he added.
dms1408ju491.jpg
Ricciardo, 25, also said he thinks Vettel will do a good job with Ferrari next year, “Apart from his driving ability that everyone sees on TV, his work ethic, the way he works with the engineers, is very impressive.”
“It has been good to see that from behind the scenes,” Ricciardo added. “I think if he’s going to Ferrari or to any other top team, he will play a strong leadership role.”
Meanwhile, Red Bull team owner Dietrich Mateschitz thinks Ricciardo is more than ready to play the same sort of leadership role in Vettel’s wake next year.
With Vettel having announced his exit, the Austrian billionaire said: “If we did not have a ‘team leader’ then the situation would look slightly different.
“But we knew that Daniel would fill these shoes, so things were much easier,” Mateschitz is quoted by Melbourne’s The Age newspaper.

TILKE BLAMES PIRELLI FOR BORING RUSSIAN GP

hermann_tilke_c_panimages_750_500.jpg

In the wake of the inaugural Russian Grand Prix fingers have been pointed Sochi Autodrome track designer Hermann Tilke for the boring race that took place at the brand new venue, criticism that he refutes and instead blames Pirelli.
“Pirelli brought very conservative compounds,” he told Auto Motor und Sport. “When they are bolder again with the selection of tyres, it will look different again.”
Indeed, while Pirelli was earlier criticised for being too aggressive, now it is taking criticism for being too conservative.
So hard was the original compound selection for Brazil next month that Felipe Massa said it might even be “dangerous” in cold or damp conditions. After Massa’s comments, Pirelli did a U-turn and will now take softer tyres to Interlagos.
“After further technical analysis of the impact of the revised circuit surface, together with a risk assessment suggesting a low probability of compound overheating due to extreme track temperatures, we have made this change with the unanimous agreement of all 11 teams,” Paul Hembery confirmed.
Meanwhile Force India has a radical suggestion about how Formula 1 should proceed in the sport’s Pirelli-tyred era.
dms1408oc60.jpg
Earlier in the Italian supplier’s Formula 1 tenure, Pirelli was famed – and often heavily criticised – for spicing up the race action with its aggressive tyre compounds.
That has changed dramatically in 2014, as the marque responded to the often explosive events of last year and the arrival of ultra high-torque turbo V6 engines.
But all the fuss about compound selection might disappear if the teams have more control, according to Force India’s sporting director Otmar Szafnauer.
He told Auto Motor und Sport: “Why not let each team choose their own two tyre options?”
Szafnauer said a rule change along these lines would lead to more overtaking, “One car will be faster, another will be running longer. It would make the races exciting.”
Pirelli, however, has played down the likelihood of the proposal getting the green light, with Hembery saying, “First, it would be a logistical nightmare. And then there is the danger that some teams will get it wrong.”
“And if the (wrong) tyres are a safety problem, we are the ones who get the blame, not the teams,” the Pirelli chief added.

Kaltenborn: F1 needs diversity

Monisha-Kaltenborn_3135597.jpg

Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn has warned that Formula 1 needs be "very careful" about changing to three-car teams as the sport needs variety.
F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed that talks are underway about possible three-car teams for the 2015 season with the grid reduced to just eight outfits.
Many believe it would mean the end of Caterham and Marussia while Sauber, who are currently 10th in the standings, have also been named as one of the teams that could make way.
Kaltenborn, though, feels it will be difficult to implement and also believes the sport needs the smaller teams as they offer diversity.
"It's very difficult to say how realistic it is because you don't have insight in to all the teams, but I think what's the most important and what has to have priority for everyone is that we maintain the teams that we have," she told Crash.net in an interview. "We need to have diversity and we should be very careful if we have to change the system. We've had the three car discussion often before, it's nothing new in Formula One and every time we've seen we very soon reach a stage where you realise it's very difficult to implement this kind of a change.
"How will you determine the teams which will run a third car? Which is maybe the easiest to do, but the more important is how do you operate this third car? All the implications on points, not scoring points, who you put in there, how can this car even be in a way misused during a race? And you imagine the next set of implications this has if you look at seasons like this one where you have so much disparity between the teams.
"How would it look if there's such a dominant team and that has three cars, and then by coincidence the dominance has a lot to do with the powertrain you have so then the next set of three cars follows and you have the top six positions taken. Then you have some other ones which come in and take the next batch and if you're really bad out there you're always guaranteed to be at the end. How's that going to go down with the fans? So I think you have to be very, very careful if you try to make such changes."
Sauber are going through a major slump as Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez are yet to score points this campaign, which is the team's longest run without points.
"I would say it's the worst season we've had!" Kaltenborn said. "If you look at where we stand, without any points... We've had seasons before where for quite a while in the season we were last or second last, but yes, being there without points and in some situations circumstances resulting to it which are out of our control makes it very difficult to react in any way. So, yes, I think the worst season."

Explaining the mess at Caterham

Adam-Cooper-Caterham-2.jpg

Caterham Sports Ltd has gone into Administration. The London-based Smith & Williamson accountancy firm of Moorgate, London has been named at the administrator. The good stat were previously seized by the The Sheriffs Office have been passed to the administrator. However, there remains a dispute as to whether these items could have been legally removed from the team. The administration does NOT threaten the racing team, despite reports to the contrary. It is a complicated business but it looks likely that Caterham Sports Ltd will end up being worth very little. The Formula 1 entry, the most important asset, is owned by a Malaysian company called 1Malaysia Racing Team Sdn Bhd. This had an operating company called 1Malaysia F1 Team (UK) Ltd. This would later convert itself into 1Malaysia Racing Team (UK) Ltd and ultimately it became known as Caterham Sports Ltd. When the team changed hands in July the new owners must have either bought or leased 1Malaysia Racing Team Sdn Bhd, in order to the all-important F1 entry. This remains valid unless the Malaysian company itself is deemed to be insolvent in which case the Formula One can terminate the agreement and cease all further payments. This has not happened. Thus the F1 entry is entry as long as the team continue to appear at races.

It is difficult to ascertain exactly what has happened but it seems that shares in some of the companies in the original structure may have been pledged in exchange for loans. If these pledges were not lifted the new owners could not take control and thus their backers could not reasonably commit money to the project. This probably explains why at the end of August, a parallel company called Caterham CF1 Grand Prix Ltd, which was owned (on paper at least) by deputy-team principal Manfredi Ravetto, was set up and seems to have taken over the running of the business for 1Malaysia Racing Team Sdn Bhd. This is perfectly legal. The operations of the team passed from one firm to another. The key question is who owns the assets (machinery, cars etc). This remains uncertain but when the bailiffs came to seize some of them a few weeks ago, they were stopped from putting them up for auction on the basis that they had no right to take them. This would suggest that they were not owned by Caterham Sports, but rather by either the Malaysian parent company, or by the independent Caterham CF1 Grand Prix Ltd. There is nothing wrong with a company selling its assets to another company owned by the same people – if the assets were sold at a reasonable price when the first company was still legally solvent.
The administrators say that they are in discussions with 1MRT to see whether Caterham Sports can continue to supply the F1 team.
“Positive discussions were held between the administrators and the team manager, Manfredi Ravetto, and also with the financial backers of the team on Friday 17 October and it is hoped that these will lead to a financially acceptable arrangement for the continuation of the relationship between the company and the F1 Team,” the administrators said. “If a financially acceptable arrangement cannot be agreed between the administrators and the Caterham F1 Team the administrators will then enter into dialogue with other interested parties with regard to a sale of the business and assets of the company.”
The key question is who owns what.

China on the move into Formula 1

Wei Di, the director of the Automobile and Motorcycling Administrative Center, part of the country’s General Administration of Sport, says that a Chinese group is bidding to acquire a Formula 1 team and that “in the next one to two years, China will have its own F1 team”.

He did not say who was behind the idea. The organisation he heads is the state-run sports organization which serves as the permanent administrative body of the Federation of Automobile Sports (FASC), the country’s FIA-linked sporting federation. It was established in 2002 in order to organize, direct and promote automobile and motorcycle sports in China.
These reports were followed by an announcement today from the State Council, China’s cabinet, that the country intends to grow its sporting sector into a $813 billion industry (yes, you did read that right) by 2025 to boost employment and domestic consumption. A policy document issued by the Council says that private investment will be encouraged, new sports facilities will be built and the government will support the sector. This is part of the current shift that is going on to create what the Chinese are calling “a new economy”, moving away from heavy industry.

Kobayashi 'scared' by Caterham suspension fix

kobayashi-15346822028_2e5689d14d_z.jpg

Kamui Kobayashi has admitted to being 'scared' ahead of practice for the Russian Grand Prix after the team found an issue with his suspension, but didn't have the necessary parts to change it.

Instead, according to a Facebook post by the Japanese driver which was meant to be private, the team wrapped the faulty suspension rod in carbon fibre.

Kobayashi came close to refusing to drive, saying he was "seriously troubled" by the issue.

"Scary," he wrote in his post which has been translated by the BBC as it was written in Japanese and meant for his family.

"Last night [the Friday ahead of the Russian GP] a suspension defect was found. There's no spare so it was repaired by wrapping it in carbon.

"It's checked all the time but, even so, being asked to race like this is too scary! I want to go home already.

"From here on there are still practices and the race to go. I'm seriously troubled. As a racing driver, should I drive? Should I safely decline? I drive again in 15 minutes…"

Caterham assured Kobayashi that his car was safe to drive and said they "kept [him] informed at all times" about the suspension situation.

A team spokesperson added: "It was extensively evaluated at Sochi and Leafield and ultimately a carbon-fibre wrap was applied to provide additional reinforcement - a normal procedure.

"The component was signed off as safe and re-checked between each subsequent session, to be absolutely sure there was no issue. "Kamui withdrew the post mentioned and drove the car in this form throughout the rest of the weekend, with no hint of any other problem with the suspension."

MIKA: Doesn't look too good for the Caterham team at the moment doesn't it...

Spa to challenge Nissan over Eau Rouge trademark

Eau_Rouge_Belgium_Spa_01.jpg

The Spa-Francorchamps circuit in Belgium are preparing to object to Nissan's use of and trademark application against the 'Eau Rouge' name.

The Japanese car manufacturer, which owns Red Bull title sponsor Infiniti, has filed a trademark request against the name after launching a Sebastian Vettel designed version of the Infiniti Q50 called the Q50 Eau Rouge.

Whilst the car is only a concept and as yet no decision has been made as to whether it will be launched as a production model next year, Nissan are keen to secure the name should they decide to.

Pierre-Alain Thibaut, director of the Spa-Francorchamps circuit, isn't happy and says the circuit will object to the claim.

"It's like they want to steal the brand from the circuit," he told Bloomberg.

"We consider it exactly the opposite of fair play." Infiniti plans to demonstrate the car at the United States Grand Prix next month, where it will be driven by Vettel around the Austin circuit.

HAMILTON: I WILL MAKE SURE I AM STRONGER THAN NICO

Nico+Rosberg+Lewis+Hamilton+F1+Grand+Pri

With the crucial double points Formula 1 World Championship season finale looming next month, it remains highly likely the title will go right down to the wire with Lewis Hamilton adamant he must be stronger than teammate and title rival Nico Rosberg, who is being advised to relax.
With 50 points on offer in Abu Dhabi, it is mathematically possible that Rosberg will be 49 points behind just before the chequer waves but win the title if Hamilton suffers a breakdown.
Hamilton said at the DTM finale at Hockenheim last weekend: “There are so many points in the last race — the championship will be decided there. There is no need to be concerned. You never know what is ahead and we will deal with it as it comes.
“It is no good thinking: if this happens or if that happens’, or even thinking about what happens if I win. I am just going to enjoy this moment and make sure that in these last three races, I am stronger than Nico,” he added.
F1+Grand+Prix+of+Belgium+KuMBakaAcO5x-00
Anything can happen between the two title candidates
Meanwhile Rosberg needs to relax if he wants to get back into the world championship fight according former F1 driver Heinz-Harald Frentzen, who at the peak of his career fifteen years ago was the title dark horse in 1999.
Now 47, Frentzen told Auto Bild he thinks Rosberg – the former runaway championship leader in 2014 – is letting Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton run away with the title as the Briton hits a run of top form.
Hamilton, once well behind Rosberg but now 17 points clear with just three races to go, has won the last four grands prix on the trot.
“Nico is making mistakes because he is not free in the head,” said Frentzen.
“He needs to pretend that the world championship fight is already over,” the former Williams driver advised. “Only by not thinking about it can he begin to relax again.”
Frentzen said it is precisely this kind of calmness that is contributing to Hamilton’s increasing dominance at the pointy end of the intense 2014 battle.
“He’s mentally strong and totally relaxed,” he said. “You can see it in the little things — the way he gets into the car, the way he puts on his gloves,” added Frentzen.

MASSA: KIMI’S PROBLEM IS PSYCHOLOGICAL

dcd1405jy299.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen is suffering psychologically alongside his Ferrari teammate Fernando Alonso this year according to Felipe Massa, who also Alonso failed to regularly match the Spaniard’s pace before he lost his race seat at the end of last year.
The Maranello team replaced Massa with Raikkonen, his old Ferrari teammate and the 2007 Formula 1 world champion, who has notably struggled in the Ferrari F14T in 2014.
“I think Kimi’s problem is psychological,” Massa, now a Williams driver, told Lance!, a Brazilian sports daily. “I also suffered a lot when Alonso arrived. Kimi is undoubtedly a lot better than he is showing, just based on what he has done in the past.”
“But with Alonso in the team, he [Raikkonen] lost his head a little and is not doing the job he is capable of,” he said. “We live in a world of details, and if it’s not working psychologically, you are unable to do a perfect job.”
dms1408ju417.jpg
Fernando Alonso has had the measure of Kimi Raikkonen all year
“It’s easy to say Kimi is unmotivated, just as with me they said it was because of my accident. But in my opinion, Alonso is the strongest driver on the grid, so if you’re not perfect, it is very difficult to be in front of him.”
“He (Alonso) is also very intelligent and is able to get the team on his side. That’s what makes the other driver suffer. Then when you see the other driver getting more attention from the team, the situation becomes very difficult to turn around,” Massa added.
As Alonso departs, Raikkonen is expected to be joined at Ferrari next year by the quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel, who is his closest friend in the Formula 1 paddock.

PLANS UNDERWAY FOR F1 STREET RACE IN MADRID

DSCN1187.jpg

Plans are afoot for a Formula 1 street race to take place in the heart of Madrid, according to a report in El Confidencial.
It is claimed Bernie Ecclestone is in talks with a group of Spanish businessmen who want the sport to race on the streets of the large capital city.
El Confidencial claims the project is so well advanced that Ecclestone, the Formula 1 chief executive, is already in possession of a detailed business plan and bank guarantees.
The report said the race would have an annual budget of €50 million, funded privately, but “institutional, political and social support” is also necessary.
Spain already hosts an annual Grand Prix at the permanent Montmelo circuit in Barcelona, but its contract runs only until 2016.
With Mexico’s return, the race calendar for 2015 currently features 20 races, which according to most teams is the logistical maximum.
Azerbaijan is then joining the schedule in 2016, and there are reports Ecclestone is in talks for a race along the famous Las Vegas ‘Strip’.
Ecclestone told Forbes’ Christian Sylt last week that it’s “more likely it (the calendar) will go over 20 (races) with Baku than we lose a race”.
MIKA: This news should be treated with a certain amount of caution. While the Formula One group has a deal with the FIA that allows for a maximum of 25 races a year this was primarily a negotiating ploy that allowed the FIA to see the possibility of additional fees for each race. There are legal contracts in place between the Formula One group and all the signatory teams that mean that team consent is required if the number of races is to exceed 20, although there are believed to be clauses that allow for “extra events” if certain stipulations are met regarding the costs and the benefits. To get all the teams to agree to more races at a time when so many of them are struggling is going to be difficult. It is fair to say that the teams are already stretched in terms of logistics and to do more races would require very considerable extra cost, as they would need to employ more people and overlapping crews. There are, quite simply, limits to what individuals can do. Already most teams report that the turnover of staff is much higher than it used to be because of the stresses and strains of travel and many people do only a few years and then return to a more normal life.
The fact that this is being proposed is not primarily because it serves Formula 1 to have more events, but rather because it drives higher profits, which the owners wish to do as they try to find a buyer willing to pay the price they want for the rights holding company. I'd love to see what the sponsors think because if they don't pay more for sponsorship and I doubt they will, not much will happen.

Marussia vow to defend P9 for Jules

Graeme-Lowdon_3194055.jpg

Marussia have promised that they will keep pushing hard until the end of the season as they "owe it" to Jules Bianchi to finish ninth.
The Frenchman remains in a critical but stable condition in hospital after he suffered severe head trauma during an accident at Suzuka on October 5.
Bianchi, though, has been crucial to Marussia's excellent season this year as he helped the team to secure their maiden points in Formula 1 when he finished ninth in Monaco.
The team opted to run only one car at the inaugural Russian Grand Prix out of respect to the 25-year-old and sporting director Graeme Lowdon says they now need to push through to stay ninth.
"I really hope that the gesture [in Russia] has helped both Jules and the family," he is quoted as saying by Autosport.
"That is what it was designed for and that was the intention.
"We've done the best thing we can do for now, and going forward the best thing for Jules and the family is to try to protect our position in the Championship.
"Jules has been instrumental in that - because it was a great drive in Monaco - and it got us something really valuable in sporting terms. So we owe it to him now to defend that.
"There are three races left and double points in Abu Dhabi, which puts extra pressure on, so have to keep pushing until the end of the season."
Alexander Rossi was added to the FIA entry list in the wake of Bianchi's accident, but the team of course decided not to run a second car at Sochi.
The team is yet to decide about their line-up for the final few races and they will consult with Bianchi's family.
"I can make no comment at the moment as far as the driver line-up is concerned," he said.
"We haven't had time to sit down properly and have a look at all the options.
"There is a little bit of a gap now, so we will use that time to work out what the best thing is.
"It is never straightforward, but we will do whatever is right."