FORMULA 1 - 2014

RAVETTO: CATERHAM ARE ON A HIGH AND WE KEEP FIGHTING

dms1411oc60.jpg

Caterham have endured a traumatic season, undergoing a change of ownership to staff redundancies and most recently reports that spare parts for their race cars are at a premium due to lack of funds, prompting speculation that the team is unlikely to last beyond the end of this season – team principal Manfredi Ravetto has allayed fears of their demise with a Q&A released by the team.
We’ve just got back from the Russian Grand Prix, what did you think of it?
Manfredi Ravetto: Sochi was definitely the place to be: we enjoyed racing there and contributing to bring F1 to Russia; the event was fantastic, the atmosphere was breathtaking and the circuit is at the highest of standards.
Where does Caterham F1 Team stand today?
MR: Knowing that this team, under previous ownership, was due to stop racing before the British Grand Prix, we – the new management – are proud of having completed not only the European season but also the Asian season! This gives us confidence to approach the last three fly-away races in America and the Middle-East with an extra-boost: our performance is steadily improving and recent results plus our great qualifying performance in Sochi are putting us on a level the team has hardly shown previously. We are on a high and we keep fighting day after day, even if there are a few negative comments or skepticism from some people who would be happy to see us failing: we can live with this, we have no problem at all; what we do is answer with facts, starting with the technical improvement of the car and stabilizing of the team’s financial side – but we just want to remind everybody that we are those brave ones who try to firefight; we are not the ones who left the team in a critical status! I can tolerate misinterpretations on everything except this. And, by the way, we historically seem to be quite successful in contradicting the rumour mill…
dcd1421se336.jpg
Kamui Kobayashi has had a torrid season with Caterham
There seems to be a need to clarify the reason of Kamui’s retirement in Sochi…
MR: Actually, I was very surprised to hear Kamui referring to some mileage-saving instruction coming from the team’s management: we saw via telemetry that there was a potential issue with the brakes and we decided to avoid any risks; Kamui officially confirmed this as well and I’d like to add that he had also asked us to change the previous set before qualifying because he felt some vibration. To be clear: yes, we instructed Kamui to retire because the safety of our drivers is our first concern! Regarding Kamui’s comment, all I can say – and again, I’m answering with facts – is that the team has continuously made progress since the British Grand Prix, we’ve managed to qualify very well in the last two races, getting very close to Q2, and in Suzuka we repaired Kamui’s heavily damaged car in time for the next session without any problems, so I cannot understand his comment.
What’s the team’s position with regards to engine-freeze?
MR: We will answer when asked by the FIA.
What can we expect from the final three races of the season?
MR: We know there are still some bumpy roads ahead and we don’t expect an easy ride, but we will deal with each situation as it arrives. For avoidance of any doubt, I’d also like to add that Leafield remains the team’s base, even though it’s no secret that we are looking for a more suitable alternative. We look forward to the final three races of the season; we will keep fighting, we will keep improving and we will introduce some positive surprises: stay tuned!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

MATTIACCI: ENGINE FREEZE AGAINST PRINCIPLES OF F1

dms1412oc423.jpg

Ferrari continue to lobby for the powers that be to ‘unfreeze’ the Formula 1 engine rules, with team principal Marco Mattiacci arguing that the freeze is against what the pinnacle of the sport stands for.
Mattiacci insists, “It is a principle and sometimes we fight for principles. I think the Formula 1 I grew up with was about innovation and catching up with the best. Now, aside from whether the engine unfreeze is agreed, we are working to catch up. That is the principle that we want.”
“In life it is important to try. We have a strong belief that innovation is at the base of the success of Formula 1. We are a company that produces the pinnacle of engineering and that includes the engine. I think it is important that innovation is at the centre of Formula 1.”
Mercedes claim that relaxing the restrictions and allow more development of the V6 turbo power units will be against the spirit of the regulations, and be an added expense for teams. Their cars have dominated the 2014 season, already wrapping up the F1 constructors’ title, and reluctant to provide their competitors with
dcd1312my69-750x500.jpg
Ferrari last won a grand prix back in May 2013 when Fernando Alonso triumphed in the Spanish Grand Prix
Mercedes motorsport chief Toto Wolff sarcastically suggested that Ferrari needed a calculator work out the cost implications of the ‘unfreeze’ option being lobbied by their rivals.
Mattiacci took offence, “It is not fair that Toto offered me a calculator because he was saying we are not good with calculations. I think that it’s not – from our point of view – a cost increase. The other argument is that today, if I had the possibility to upgrade my engines and those of the teams I supply, we would have scored points and therefore extra [prize money] revenues.”
“For a small team not to have the possibility to catch up is much more dramatic than for a big team. Next year we will have four teams with a Mercedes engine, but for the other teams with another engine maker the situation will be even more difficult,” predicted the Ferrari boss.
Since the start of the season, when the new V6 turbo formula began, Mercedes have won 13 grands prix, with Renault winning three times while Ferrari have yet to register a victory in the new era.

MARUSSIA: SHOCKED AND ANGERED BY THESE ALLEGATIONS

Jules-Bianchi-F1-Grand-Prix-Japan-YkPOUt

Marussia have slammed reports suggesting the team’s pit wall commanded Jules Bianchi to speed up just before he crashed heavily during the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka, which resulted in life threatening injuries to the Frenchman. The statement read:

During the course of Tuesday 14 October, a number of media reports emerged suggesting:

1. that Jules Bianchi did not slow down under the double waved yellow flags shown after Adrian Sutil had spun off in the wet conditions, and
  2. that the team urged Jules to go faster during the double waved yellow flag period in order to keep Marcus Ericsson behind.

The Marussia F1 Team is shocked and angered by these allegations. At a time when its driver is critically ill in hospital, and the team has made clear that its highest priority is consideration for Jules and his family, it is distressed to have to respond to deeply upsetting rumours and inaccuracies in respect of the circumstances of Jules’ accident. However, given that these allegations are entirely false, the team has no alternative but to address these.

Jules-Bianchi-F1-Grand-Prix-Japan-AU670x

Regarding point 1, Jules did slow down under the double waved yellow flags. That is an irrefutable fact, as proven by the telemetry data, which the team has provided to the FIA. In the FIA press conference which took place in Sochi on Friday 10 October, Charlie Whiting, the FIA’s Race Director, confirmed that the team had provided such data, that he himself had examined this data and that Jules did slow.
Regarding point 2, an audio copy of the full radio transmission between Jules and the team, and also a written transcript thereof, were provided to the FIA. It is quite clear from the transmission and the transcript that at no point during the period leading up to Jules’ accident did the team urge Jules to drive faster or make any comments suggesting that he should do so.
The team sincerely hopes that, having clarified these facts, it can now avoid any further distractions to its primary focus at this time, which is providing support for Jules and his family.

BOULLIER: I UNDERSTAND JENSON MAY NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE

Eric-Boullier-Jenson-Button.jpg

McLaren are well and truly embroiled in the silly season with much speculation surrounding the team’s driver line-up for 2015, many expecting Fernando Alonso to return to the team, which the team’s racing director Eric Boullier acknowledges may impact his current drivers and hopes to sort out before December.
Speaking to media Boullier said, “I hope to sort out our decision on the driver line-up before the end of the season. It’s true that it takes a bit more time than maybe we have to deal with, but it’s still on course to be before the end of the season.”
With a new McLaren Honda era looming, both Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen face an uncertain future as a decision on Alonso will impact at least one of them.
Button, veteran of 263 grand prix starts and 2009 F1 world champion, could be the driver they oust to make way for the Spaniard.
d12bra2834-750x496.jpg
Jenson Button won the 2012 Brazilian GP – McLaren’s last victory in F1 to date
Boullier explained, “I understand that he [button] may not feel comfortable and he is obviously concerned about his future. But again, unfortunately, I’m in charge of McLaren Racing and we have to build the best for the team and drivers are obviously very important for our discussion.”
“Jenson is more than considered to stay with us for the long-term, but we are still investigating what we want to do with our driver line-up once we have all the data in hand,” revealed the Frenchman who replaced Martin Whitmarsh at the helm of the team earlier this year.
“We know the value of Jenson and we know he is a world-champion-class driver and has been a world champion already. We don’t need him to deliver an extra job on track in order to save his job,” added Boullier.

BERGER SURPRISED BY VETTEL MOVE TO FERRARI

P-20140528-00082_HiRes-JPEG-24bit-RGB.jp

Former Ferrari driver Gerhard Berger says he is surprised that Formula 1 world champion Sebastian Vettel is joining Ferrari.
The great Austrian told Sport Bild he thinks the long-time Red Bull driver’s chances of repeating his recent successes at the beleaguered Italian team in the coming years is “50-50″.
“The challenge Sebastian is taking on is one of the biggest you can have in Formula 1,” said Berger.
“Even Fernando Alonso, one of the best in the business, has not become world champion there,” added the 55-year-old, who had two stints at Ferrari in the 80s and 90s but is also close to Red Bull mogul Dietrich Mateschitz.
Berger continued: “In my opinion, the situation at Ferrari at the moment is a little too turbulent. I simply would not have believed that Vettel would go there at this time.”

WOLFF THINKS LE MANS SABBATICAL POSSIBLE FOR ALONSO

140121_new.jpg

It is possible Fernando Alonso will take a sabbatical away from Formula 1 in 2015, according to Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff.
It is the burning question of the Formula 1 driver ‘silly season’ at present — now that Sebastian Vettel has left Red Bull apparently to replace Alonso at Ferrari, what will the talented but temperamental Spaniard do next?
“I appreciate your curiosity,” Alonso told his more than 2 million Twitter followers this week, “whatever reports you hear, you know (my) priority is on the track now. Enjoy, trust. The best is yet to come.”
Formula 1’s dominant force, Mercedes, has now consistently and repeatedly ruled out speculation Alonso is angling for a silver seat in 2015. Wolff thinks Alonso’s most likely option is McLaren-Honda.
“He will go there only if he gets a get-out clause,” the Austrian speculated to Sportwoche magazine. “Maybe he will leave Formula 1, take a break. This year he went to see his friend Mark Webber at Le Mans – it is obviously a race that fascinates him.”
La Stampa has published a new poll showing that 70 per cent believe Alonso will be a works Honda driver in 2015, while 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve thinks Alonso was clearly caught short by Vettel’s shock switch and the fact Red Bull so rapidly confirmed Daniil Kvyat as his successor.
“It is not good poker by Alonso,” the outspoken French Canadian told Spain’s AS. “I think we can all agree that Alonso is the best on the track. But sometimes in Formula 1 you also have to know how to pull the strings and he doesn’t always do that as well.”
Like many, Villeneuve thinks Alonso is destined to return to McLaren in 2015, “McLaren is a good team, but I know Honda well and I don’t think they will have success quickly.”
He said a sabbatical for Alonso is not likely, “I think not. After two months he wouldn’t know what to do. He’s a racing animal.”

MERCEDES WORKING HARD ON 2015 CAR SAYS WOLFF

lewis-hamilton.jpg

Mercedes is already hard at work on the 2014 Formula 1 championship-winning 2014 car’s successor.
“The departments have already changed over,” said team boss Toto Wolff, after the Brackley based team celebrated its constructors’ championship triumph in Russia with three full Grand Prix weekends still to spare this year.
“For the past two months they no longer work on the current car, but are instead busy with the new one,” the Austrian is quoted by Salzburger Nachrichten newspaper.

RAIKKONEN TO GET NEW CHASSIS FOR AUSTIN

dcd1403oc74.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen will race a new Ferrari chassis in Austin and beyond, according to a report by Omnicorse.
After finishing ninth in Russia, the Finn was quoted in Ferrari’s post-race statement as saing: “(Austin) is very demanding and interesting and I hope I don’t have the same problems I had here”.
Omnicorse claims that the normally phlegmatic Raikkonen, who has struggled alongside Fernando Alonso in 2014, “raised his tone of voice” with boss Marco Mattiacci at Sochi.
“He made it clear that he is 110 per cent committed but that he is not able to get the best from the car because something is not working properly,” read the report.
Omnicorse said Mattiacci agreed that Raikkonen should switch to a new 2014 chassis for the US Grand Prix.

MALDONADO EXPECTS HALF SECOND BOOST WITH MERCEDES

Pastor+Maldonado+F1+Grand+Prix+Bahrain+P

Pastor Maldonado has admitted he is looking forward to using Mercedes power after Lotus’ switch from Renault power for the 2015 season onwards.
The Venezuelan has said consistently this year he does not regret moving last winter from Williams to the Enstone-based team.
But almost a full season on, while Williams made an impressive leap from the rear of the midfield to the upper grid hatchings in 2014, Lotus’ reverse in fortunes has been just as dramatic.
It means Maldonado’s best hope now is that Lotus can perform a similar turnaround as it also moves from Renault to Mercedes power.
“Our goal is to come to Williams’ level,” he admitted to Auto Motor und Sport.
The German publication claims Lotus’ engine switch will cost owner Gerard Lopez a two-digit sum — the cost of the Mercedes deal plus a separation payment to Lotus.
Maldonado thinks it is worth it, “We will automatically win half a second compared to the situation now and we will also benefit aerodynamically, because the (Mercedes) power unit takes up less space.”
The PDVSA-sponsored 29-year-old driver is also expecting “not only more power but more reliability” from the Mercedes, as well as more development options for cooling.

No early Ferrari test for Vettel

formula-one-racing-sebastian-vettel-red-

Sebastian Vettel won't be allowed to drive for Ferrari in the Abu Dhabi test with Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz saying they won't release him early from his contract.
Four-time World Champion Vettel informed Red Bull at the Japanese GP that he will quit the team at the end of the season and, although he is yet to confirm his new team, it is an open secret that he will join Ferrari.
The German's new employers were no doubt hoping that he would be able to drive the F14T at the post-season test in Abu Dhabi on November 25 and 26.
However, Mateschitz told Salzburger Nachrichten they will release him "five days after the last race" [November 28] as his contract will run out then.
The Austrian billionaire also confirmed that Vettel will no longer be given information about the team's 2015 plans.
"Vettel is excluded from all development that we do for next year's car already," he said. "This does not mean that he gets worse equipment than [Daniel] Ricciardo. He will be treated identical in the final races."
There are also no hard feelings over Vettel's decision to join Ferrari.
"We wish Sebastian all the best. The separation is done by consensus and is the right thing for both sides," he said.

Lewis not thinking about double points

Lewis-Hamilton_3214928.jpg

Lewis Hamilton insists he is not stressing about the fact that he could lose the title due to the double-points finish in Abu Dhabi.
His fourth consecutive race victory over the weekend in Russia helped him to open a 17-point lead over team-mate Nico Rosberg in the Drivers' Championship with only three rounds left.
Even if he wins the next two races and Rosberg finishes second, the title fight will still go down to the UAE as double points will be awarded in the season finale.
For Hamilton, though, it is about taking his opportunities and not worrying about the double points and possible mechanical failures.
"That (double points) highlights the decision that was taken for the last race, and whatever will be, will be," the 2008 World Champion said.
"For me, it's important not to put any negative energy or concern out there, and there's no need to be concerned because I've the utmost belief in this team and the car, and I'm in the best form of my life.
"Although you never know what lies ahead, you deal with it as it comes.
"There's no point thinking what if this happens or that happens, or what happens if he wins. There's no point thinking those things.
"I honestly think that's the wrong way to look at it. It's like looking at a glass that's either half empty or half full. That's just the wrong approach.
"Right now I've all the opportunities ahead of me, and I've just got to try and grab those.
"We've just got to do our due diligence and work as hard as we can to make sure we don't have any problems.
"It's about doing everything we can, maximising everything, and I plan to do that for these next three races, making sure I'm stronger than ever because I want to win."

Di Montezemolo confirms Alonso's Ferrari departure

alonso-montezemolo-987654.jpg

Former Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has confirmed that Fernando Alonso will leave the Italian team at the end of the current season.

It's a well known secret that Alonso and Ferrari have agreed to split after a difficult relationship without great success, but as of yet nobody close to the company had confirmed the news.

Speaking to Italian television, Di Montezemolo gave two reasons why the Spaniard had chosen to leave early.

"Fernando is leaving for two reasons," he said.

"One, he wants another environment. Two, because he is an age when he cannot wait to win again.

"He has been disappointed not to have won [the title] in these years and he needs a new stimulus."

Di Montezemolo negotiated Alonso's release from his current contract - due to expire at the end of 2016 - before he was replaced by Sergio Marchionne as Ferrari president. Alonso is set to join McLaren and will be replaced by Sebastian Vettel who confirmed his exit from Red Bull during the Japanese Grand Prix weekend.

Ferrari 'myth' drew Vettel in

Helmut-Marko-Sebastian-Vettel_3212288.jp

Helmut Marko says Red Bull lost Sebastian Vettel to the "myth" of Ferrari even though "much of it is about illusions."
Earlier this month, Red Bull announced that Vettel would be leaving the team at the end of this season.
While his destination has yet to be confirmed, it is an open secret in the paddock that he is off to Ferrari.
The four-time World Champion is expected to replace Fernando Alonso, who Luca di Montezemolo has revealed will go at the end of the year.
Asked why he believed Vettel had opted to sign with Ferrari, Marko told the official F1 website: "Ferrari is still the name in F1. It's a myth, so every driver yearns to go there in their racing career.
"Sure, much of it is about illusions.
"Sebastian has already won [the title] four times. Now it's time for the myth. I also believe that the moment to move was ideal: Ferrari is down, and in such a situation you can dictate your conditions."
As for when he became aware that Vettel was shopping around, the Red Bull advisor said: "I think the first suspicion that there was something brewing was after the summer break. I cannot nail it down to an occurrence, but it was a strong gut feeling.
"Remember this: at least two things had to come together. It was not only a case of Sebastian wanting to leave, but also of Fernando Alonso clearing the way.
"The more Alonso distanced himself from Ferrari the more likely it became that Seb would move."
Red Bull did not have to look far for a replacement for the German, promoting Toro Rosso's Daniil Kvyat despite the Russian driver having only made his debut this season.
Marko added: "We do have the cosy situation of having a pool of great talents we can choose from as we want. And believe me, we wouldn't have promoted him if we didn't believe that he can deliver!"

FIA asks Formula 1 teams for Jules Bianchi crash information

1413374771.jpg

The FIA has written to Formula 1 teams asking them to bring forward any information that may be relevant to the investigation into Jules Bianchi's Japanese Grand Prix accident.
The sport's governing body has set up an Accident Panel to continue its investigation into the Suzuka incident, with F1 race director Charlie Whiting's report being passed onto the panel headed up by Peter Wright, president of the FIA safety commission.
The FIA's secretary general for motor sport, Jean-Louis Valentin, emailed all F1 team principals this week regarding the panel.
In the email, a copy of which has been seen by AUTOSPORT, Valentin advised that Wright and his panel may contact the teams in weeks to come.
He also asked the teams to communicate any information they may have regarding the circumstances of the accident, and requested that they keep hold of any documents, testimonies and information that may be of interest to the panel.
An FIA spokeman confirmed to AUTOSPORT that this is "the kick-off of application of the process announced [by FIA president Jean Todt] in Sochi on Friday".

MARCHIONNE: WE’VE GOT TO KICK SOME ASS AND QUICKLY

img1024-700_dettaglio2_Marchonne-reuters

Earlier this week Ferrari‘s new chairman Sergio Marchionne took over the helm at Maranello from long time boss Luca di Montezemolo, and has immediately declared his intention to kick some ass in Formula 1.
Speaking to Autocar, Marchionne said, “We’ve got to kick some ass and we’ve got to do it quickly. It takes what it takes. We might screw up, but we’ve got nothing to lose, right? Let’s risk something.”
Ferrari last won a Formula 1 world title in 2007, and have not won a grand prix since the Spanish Grand Prix in May last year which the team’s new boss says in unacceptable.
“I keep getting reminded that racing is not a science, that a number of factors influence performance and then I go to Monza and see that the first six cars are not Ferrari or powered by a Ferrari engine, and my blood pressure just popped,” he revealed.
Ferrari and Formula 1 are synonymous, the car company dependent on success at the pinnacle of the sport to promote their carefully crafted image.
Luca-Cordero-di-Montezemolo-a-sinistra-e
Marchionne is thus adamant that success in Formula 1 “continues to be my main objective in terms of Ferrari going forward. A non-winning Ferrari on the Formula 1 track is not Ferrari.
“I can live with periods of bad luck, but it cannot become a structural element of the brand,” added the Italian. “The important thing for Ferrari is not just financial results, but winning. For the last six years we have struggled like hell despite the best drivers.”
“Look, both [Fernando] Alonso and [Kimi] Raikkonen are world champions, both of them. We just can’t… I’m terribly upset, we have been watching for a long time, these things are not well,” concluded Marchionne.
Meanwhile it is increasingly likely that Fernando Alonso is on his way out of Ferrari, with the new era being ushered in by the arrical of quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel.
Several sources have confirmed the changes, including former chairman Montezemolo, but the Maranello outfit have yet to officially confirm these developments.

MONTEZEMOLO: THE LEAST I EXPECTED WAS A THANK YOU

24367.jpg

Long serving Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has hit back at suggestions he was ousted from his post at the helm of the fabled marque because of the Maranello team’s high profile struggles in Formula 1, and says he expected at least a thank you for leading the company to successes on and off the track.
“A lack of results?” the 67-year-old, who was replaced by Fiat’s Sergio Marchionne on Monday, reportedly told Italian television Rai on Wednesday. “Remember that since 1999 we won 14 titles in 15 years.
“Fortunately or unfortunately, sport is not an exact science, and in Formula 1 there are cycles. Ours was very long. In the last years we are the team that won the most. In 2008 and in 2010 and 2012 we lost the championship in the last race. The most disappointing was the last one, but that’s sport.
“Renault had its cycle for two years, we’re coming out of Red Bull‘s and into Mercedes‘. Now Ferrari opens a new cycle with a lot of work and investment, taking into account that today’s cars are hybrids,” he said.
ddr1406ap026-750x496.jpg
Montezemolo said the most disappointing thing about his departure was the manner in which it took place, “I’ve always had a very strong relationship with the Agnelli famil. and I think I did something important in 2004, when I agreed to be chairman of Fiat in extremely dramatic circumstances.
“Perhaps a thank you in the least would have been expected. I do not hide that I was not very pleased about how, but it is part of life and it is right that it is the owner who can make decisions,” Montezemolo added.
He explained that his removal as president was related to parent group Fiat-Chrysler’s debut on the New York stock exchange, “Everything happened a little fast in relation to the listing of Fiat-Chrysler on the American stock exchange. There was a need to have Ferrari in a large group and I think this accelerated time a little.”
Finally, Montezemolo commented on the accident suffered recently by the critically injured Jules Bianchi, “We have made tremendous progress with safety. Unfortunately some accidents still happen as was the case with Jules Bianchi, our boy, but the tractor should not have been there.”

DOMENICALI JOINS AUDI, WILL ALONSO FOLLOW?

d12ger682-750x500.jpg

Former Ferrari F1 team boss Stefano Domenicali has accepted an offer to work for the German manufacturer Audi, which immediately prompted speculation that Fernando Alonso might be enticed to have a go at a season of sportscar racing with a 2015 Le Mans foray on the cards.
Earlier this week, we reported that Domenicali could be moving to the Ingolstadt-based marque to replace current team chief Wolfgang Ullrich.
It appears that was wide of the mark as Auto Motor und Sport said Italian Domenicali, 49, will instead start in a non-motor racing role on 1 November. But the news, reportedly confirmed by Audi, will almost certainly trigger a new round of speculation about Alonso’s future.
audi_motorsport-110611-2764-750x500.jpg
Prior to his ousting by Ferrari, Domenicali was known to be close to Fernando Alonso, who according to Luca di Montezemolo is also leaving the Maranello team.
Alonso’s next stop is not known, but when he visited the fabled 24 hour Le Mans race in June, he stopped by the Audi garage before waving the start flag for this year’s edition of the race.
“It’s a very attractive category for sure,” said Alonso before officially starting the 2014 edition in June. “Definitely I will race here.”
Whilst clearly negotiating with McLaren-Honda about 2015, Alonso has obviously also coveted a seat at the dominant Formula 1 team, Mercedes, but the Silver Arrows bosses have consistently ruled out that option.
Indeed, Mercedes chief Toto Wolff told Austria’s Sportwoche this week: “Maybe he [Alonso] will leave Formula 1, take a break. This year he went to see his friend Mark Webber at Le Mans — it is obviously a race that fascinates him.”

Pirelli open to Brazil tyre change

Paul-Hembery_3034064.jpg

Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery admits they could alter their tyre selection for the Brazilian GP, but says it has nothing to do with Felipe Massa's complaints.
The Italian manufacturer has revealed that they will use the hard and medium compounds at this year's Brazilian race on November 9 as the "energy demands are high" at Interlagos.
However, Massa has expressed his outrage at the selection describing it as "dangerous, very dangerous".
"First of all, Interlagos was never a track to use medium and hard. It's a track that we can use even super-soft and soft, but in a conservative way soft and medium," the Brazilian said.
"I have no idea why they choose medium and hard, it's completely unacceptable. It's a track where you can have rain, it's a track that can be cold and a track that maybe you can have a condition you need to risk putting on the dry tyres and it is so hard that it will be dangerous. I don't understand."
Hembery says he is surprised by Massa's reaction to their tyre choices.
"That's a little bit strange as we've raced before there with the hard tyre," he told Press Association Sport. "The data would suggest, as it has done for the last three years, it's one of the more aggressive circuits we have on the calendar, with a risk of blistering problems.
"We know the soft tyre, with the extreme loads, has potential to blister, so the decision was taken to go with the harder tyre."
The manufacturer, though, could yet opt for different tyres, but the agreement needs to be unanimous.
"There is one factor, which we need to do a double verification on, which is the surface as they've now completed a full resurfacing," he said.
"We'll do another check with that. We have a meeting with the Tyre Working Group, where we have all the tyre experts from all the teams, and we'll discuss it with them.
"If there is unanimous agreement then we can reconsider, so we are open to change.
"But it needs to done on fact, data and details than from a random comment."

'Engine unfreeze could be futile exercise'

Rob-Smedley_3181373.jpg

Williams head of vehicle performance Rob Smedley has warned that relaxing the engine freeze rules could turn into a futile exercise.
Engine manufacturers are currently not allowed to make changes to their power units during the season to boost performances, but Ferrari and Renault have called for changes.
The majority of F1's Strategy Group voted in favour of allowing limited development during a meeting at Sochi last week, but Mercedes were not one of them.
In order for the change to be implemented all 11 teams have to agree, but Mercedes' Toto Wolff says it is unlikely that they will change their mind.
Smedley has admitted that things may not change too much if the freeze is lifted.
"I don't think it's an advantage," he told Crash.net. "What you have to consider is what benefit does that bring to the sport? Yes, Mercedes has got the march on the manufacturers, but if we open up the engine regulations Mercedes aren't going to sit still. Mercedes are going to do an awful lot of work and put an awful lot of investment in this generation of power unit and come out with something that is much bigger, better and stronger - as will Renault and as will Ferrari.
"In the end, the argument, I think, is that we will have effectively status quo and nobody will move forward or backward. We will end up where we are and there will be a great deal of cost involved that has to be offset somewhere. What Formula One doesn't need right at this moment in time is everyone incurring a huge amount of cost for no benefit to the show or anybody else."

Hamilton calls for improved wet tyres

Suzuka-wet-Japanese-GP_3217295.jpg

Lewis Hamilton has urged Pirelli to improve their wet-weather tyres so that they not only clear more water but are also faster.
According to Hamilton, the current crop of Pirelli tyres just aren't quick enough.
And the Championship leader fears that leads to drivers swapping to the intermediates too soon which can lead to accidents.
"They're not great tyres. That's no secret," he told BBC Sport.
"There's always going to be spray but we need to work hard.
"It's an area that's not always focused on so much. The slicks are always being improved and worked on but there is not so much focus on the wet.
"You want a tyre that clears the water. And not forcing us to go on to the inter because it's so much quicker when it's probably not safe enough to do so is something I think the FIA and Pirelli will work on."
Hamilton's calls come in the wake of Jules Bianchi's horrific accident at the Japanese GP.
The Marussia driver suffered serious brain trauma when, while running on used intermediate tyres, he slid off the track and slammed into a tractor that was recovering Adrian Sutil's Sauber after the German had a similar accident.
Sebastian Vettel has backed Hamilton's comments as he too feels Pirelli needs to find some added speed in their wet tyres.
"If you have a lot of water, you obviously need to have a tyre that gets rid of a lot of water very well so you don't suffer aquaplaning.
"The problem we have is that the extreme tyre has an extremely narrow window.
"The intermediate is quicker so as soon as you have got rid of most of the water you try to put the inters on, taking a lot of risk into account, just because it's a quicker tyre. That's something we need to work on."

BIANCHI’S MOTHER HINTS AT ACCIDENT COVER-UP BY F1

Jules-Bianchi-F1-Grand-Prix-Japan-Qualif

Jules Bianchi’s mother has broken her silence by hinting the family is being told to keep quiet about her son’s life-threatening crash, prompting specualtion of a cover-up at the highest level of the sport.
Christine Bianchi, still at the Mie hospital in Japan, was interviewed informally on Friday by a reporter for the French broadcaster RTL.
She revealed the 25-year-old Marussia driver is still unconscious, “Jules is being very well treated. The hospital is perfect, the doctors are excellent, respectful and kind.”
bian.jpg
Beyond that, the RTL correspondent relayed, Christine said she does not want to talk, and added, “Or rather, she says she cannot talk.”
Mrs Bianchi explained: “I can’t say anything more, apart from about the criticisms. You know, some people say things to shirk their responsibilities.”
The correspondent asked Christine directly if she and the family are being forced to be silent.
“Formula 1,” she answered. “It’s a business. A very big business.”

FERRARI TRIBUTE FOR BIRTHDAY BOY RAIKKONEN

http://youtu.be/GdmsO6z2svw

Kimi Raikkonen turned 35 Friday and Scuderia Ferrari celebrates the event with a video featuring some highlights from his career to date with Ferrari.”

So far, Kimi has taken part in 68 Grands Prix with the Scuderia, winning nine of them. However, the true highlight was winning the World Championship title in 2007, when victory in the final race of the season in Interlagos saw him overhaul the McLaren duo of Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton in the points table.

LAS VEGAS SET TO RETURN TO HOST F1 GRAND PRIX

81usav03-750x497.jpg

Las Vegas could return to the grand prix calendar and become another Formula 1 destination, according to Bernie Ecclestone.
“Vegas say they are ready to go and it would be on The Strip for sure,” the Formula 1 chief executive told business journalist Christian Sylt, in the Independent.
Perhaps the world’s most famous resort city renowned for gambling and nightlife, Las Vegas hosted two unpopular Formula 1 races in 1981 and 1982, in the car park of the Caesars Palace hotel.
Sylt quoted a source as saying renowned Formula 1 circuit designer Hermann Tilke has already visited the city, located in the Mojave Desert, several times already.
“I knew that if he had gone along there must be something to it,” said the source.
Formula 1 already has one race in the United States, in Austin, and another amid the fabled New York skyline has also been touted.

BUTTON LINKED WITH LE MANS SWITCH AS MCLAREN DITHER

dal1403JY229.jpg

Jenson Button could move into Le Mans sports cars next year if he loses his McLaren seat, manager Richard Goddard has admitted as with just three races left to run in 2014, McLaren is still yet to announce its next driver lineup, although it is obvious talks with Fernando Alonso are taking place.
“McLaren aren’t sure what they’re doing and what their lineup will be,” Goddard confirmed to the Daily Mail. “Jenson is an incredibly competitive racing driver who wants to race. He’s too good to sit at the back of the Formula 1 grid, so he either gets a competitive car in Formula 1 or he goes to get one elsewhere.”
The newspaper said 34-year-old Button, who has been with McLaren since taking the ‘number 1′ to the British team in 2010, has already had talks with Porsche.
Already driving for Porsche in the world endurance championship, including the fabled Le Mans 24 hour race, is Button’s fellow Formula 1 veteran Mark Webber.
“The world endurance championship is a formidable series that is gaining strength and Mark going there has added a lot,” said Goddard.
Button is the most experienced active driver in Formula 1 today, with over 263 career grands prix to his name and 15 wins.

BRAZILIAN GP SAVED BY $65-MILLION INTERLAGOS UPGRADE

541359-750x496.jpg

Brazil had to spend millions on upgrading the ageing Interlagos Formula 1 circuit or risk losing its place on the grand prix calendar.
That is the claim of Sao Paulo mayor Fernando Haddad, after inspecting the first phase of $65 million improvements to the popular venue this week.
The biggest change ahead of next month’s Brazilian Grand Prix, set to be the penultimate round of the 2014 world championship, is a full resurfacing of the asphalt.
But by the 2015 edition, Formula 1 teams will be housing themselves in a completely new pit and paddock complex.
Haddad is quoted by the Spanish news agency EFE as saying a federal government programme funded the improvements.
“If it were not for the (programme), we would be in a very delicate and serious risk of losing this race to another city,” he said.
Brazil’s Globo also quoted him as saying: “It is the biggest reform since 1990 because we were at risk of losing Formula 1 to another Latin American cities like Buenos Aires.”
And Haddad was quoted as saying by Totalrace: “We were at a delicate moment because the track is loved by drivers and the teams, but there was a technological gap.”