FORMULA 1 - 2014

ALONSO: IT’S GOING TO BE TOUGH EMOTIONALLY

dpl1409oc089.jpg

There was a sombre mood in the FIA press conference at Sochi, just four days after an accident in the Japanese Grand Prix left Marussia driver and Ferrari Driver Academy member Jules Bianchi in a serious condition, still in hospital in Japan.
“It was a very tough race and obviously all our thoughts are with Jules,” began Fernando Alonso, one of the six drivers at the press conference ahead of the Russian Grand Prix weekend.
“We have a huge respect for our work, but with a big accident we can’t find the words to describe how we feel. Now we are here and this will also be a difficult weekend. I am ready to race, to race for him. And we will be as professional as we can, while our mind is with him and we are praying for him.”
Indeed, the racing goes on and this weekend it’s at the brand new Sochi circuit, which the Spaniard acknowledged, “It’s always a nice feeling coming to a new circuit and it’s a challenge for everyone, for the drivers, the engineers and the teams.”
“But the feelings are still there, especially for our team, as we have been close to Jules for all his career. We will work as well as possible, we will race for him and show we are strong. It’s going to be tough emotionally.”
ddr1406ap0481.jpg
Asked what lessons he felt could be learned from events in Suzuka last Sunday, Fernando felt it was too early to draw conclusions.
“We must let the people do their work and as drivers we will share any ideas we have.” Bianchi’s accident also prompted a further question about the possibility of Formula 1 cars adopting a fighter-jet style of closed cockpit to reduce the risk of head injuries.
“I agree we should at least try the idea,” said Fernando. “We are in 2014, we have the technology as we have seen in airplanes. Why not think about it then? The biggest accidents in motorsport in the last couple of years have been head injuries. In my case, in 2012, I could have died there in Corner 1, (at Spa-Francorchamps) if (the other car) had been ten centimetres closer to my head. If the technology is there, for sure I would not exclude it.”
As for the rest of the season, with four races to go, Fernando agreed with a questioner that Ferrari is still aiming for the podium.
“We have been picking up the pace, being more and more competitive in these last events, but there have been lost opportunities. We will try our best in the remaining races. The team is in a state of shock with Jules and we are all worried for him, but it’s time to be united and deliver a good result. We will do it to show him respect, so let’s try this weekend.”

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

CLOSED COCKPIT NO HELP TO BIANCHI CLAIMS LOWE

dms1428ja2891.jpg

Mercedes technical director Paddy Lowe on Thursday said he doubts a covered cockpit would have helped the now seriously injured Jules Bianchi last Sunday at Suzuka.
Since the Frenchman ploughed into a recovery vehicle with devastating effects, there have been renewed calls for the sport to look into mandating forward rollbars or strong canopies to better protect the drivers’ exposed heads.
But Lowe argues that such a device would not have helped Bianchi at Suzuka, telling Auto Motor und Sport, “If the rollbar was torn off (in Bianchi’s crash) then having more debris around the head could have been even more dangerous.”
Fernando Alonso, however, said Formula 1 needs to look into the possibility of covered cockpits in the wake of the Bianchi crash.
He said he could have easily been killed in 2012, when Romain Grosjean’s flying Lotus came perilously close to his helmet at Spa.
“If it can be done,” Spanish reports quote Alonso as saying, “we should not exclude this possibility.”

Gutierrez wants 'better car' in 2015

Esteban-Gutierrez_3214397.jpg

In a season where he has yet to get off the mark, Esteban Gutierrez says he wants to be in a "better car and a better position" next year.
The Mexican racer is nearing the end of his second season in Formula 1, however, as yet his future has still to be decided.
Although Gutierrez, who scored six points last season and none so far this season, is in talks with Sauber, he says that may not be where his future lies.
"Yes, there are talks which are advancing well," Gutierrez told ESPNF1.
"Obviously I want to be in a better car and a better position to make my next step because I think and I believe I have been progressing very well as a driver, now I need the tools to make that step to get into competition.
"Whether it's here in Sauber or in another place, I have to be sure it's a better car."
He added: "I would love to know the future and say 'this is the right direction'. If I look at the timeline [for a decision], by the end of October is ideal for me.
"You cannot always be over-confident, things change very quickly, very dramatically and at the moment I have to focus on fighting through the current circumstances [with Sauber]."

'Not illegal to race in Russia'

Bernie-Ecclestone_3205535.jpg

Bernie Ecclestone is adamant that Formula 1 is not breaking any rules by racing in Russia this weekend.
Given the political situation between Russia and the Ukraine, the former has been hit by sanctions from both the EU and America.
This led to some calls for Formula 1 to boycott Russia.
However, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has always stated that the grand prix will go ahead and this week teams and drivers arrived at the Sochi Autodrom to set up ahead of the inaugural race.
And once again the F1 supremo is insisting F1 is doing nothing wrong by racing in Russia.
"We are happy, the sponsors appear to be happy, so we carry on," the 83-year-old told The Times.
"No one has spoken to me about this race or told me that we cannot go. The sanctions do not affect us and what we are doing is not illegal.
"The Russian people asked us to come here and that is what we are doing. We are putting on a grand prix.
"This is nothing to do with politics. As I have always said, we do not do politics. We are in Sochi to race."

Haas 'not even looking' at drivers

GeneHaas1_3125215.jpg

Gene Haas concedes finding drivers for his Formula 1 team is not a priority at this point and that he has not even begun to look.
Haas is schedule to entered Formula 1 in 2016 as the NASCAR team owner tries to do what no one else has done in more than 30 year - run a successful American F1 team.
The team, which will be based in Kannapolis, is hoping to have its first cars assembled by November next year and to have them running out on track two months later.
However, who will be driving the cars has yet to be decided," Haas told the Charlotted Observer. "We're really not even looking for a driver right now.
"In Formula One, their 'silly season' occurs right about now so really never know until the end of the year. For us, I would think our interest in a driver would increase in May or June in finding a driver and then over the next 90 days we'll see who's available, who's going where."
Pressed as to whether an American could get a drive, he added: "I think an American driver from a media and sponsor standpoint would be a home run. That would be the ultimate goal for an American team is an American driver.
"Realistically, we'll probably have to go with an experienced Formula One driver, at least for one seat. The other one, that could be open. Maybe we get an up-and-coming young driver."

First Russian Grand Prix to be dry and warm

sochi-2014-2-470x313.jpg

Covering 17 million square kilometres, the Russian Federation is the largest country in the world by geographical area. This vast expanse covers a mixture of climates and Sochi, the scene of this weekend’s race, does not experience the bitterly cold temperatures other parts of Russia are famous for.
That perhaps makes it a more fitting venue for a grand prix than the Winter Olympics which were held on the same site in February. Even in winter Sochi’s average minimum temperatures stay above freezing.
By October the average temperatures tend to be in the mid-to-high teens with highs of around 21C. But for the inaugural Russian Grand Prix the weather looks set to do a little better than that.
Sunny skies during Friday’s practice session will bring temperatures of up to 22C, and more of the same on Saturday should see the mercury hit 24C. Sunday is likely to be as warm again, though cloud cover will begin to form ahead of the race start time.
Unlike at Suzuka, dimming light should not be a problem. Sunday’s race starts at 3pm local time with sunset expected at 6:43pm.
sochi-2014-1-886x590.jpg
sochi-2014-14-886x590.jpg
soch-d-4-886x590.jpg
soch-886x590.jpg
sochi-2014-11-886x590.jpg
sochi-2014-8-886x590.jpg
sochi-2014-16-886x590.jpg
sochi-2014-6-886x591.jpg

Kvyat admits “mixed feelings” over first Russian race

toro-kvya-bahr-2014-52-470x313.jpg

Daniil Kvyat says he has mixed feelings over his country’s first F1 race this weekend following Jules Bianchi’s crash in the Japanese Grand Prix.
“Obviously it was a shock for me as well,” said Kvyat when the crash was discusses in today’s press conference.
“We couldn’t expect to hear quite negative news after the race finished. And all I wish now is that we can hear good, better news, positive news about Jules.”
“I really wish him to recover,” Kvyat added. “It’s the only thing that matters.”
“Nothing like this happens for a long time and we hope here in Formula One that the health for Jules and I’m thinking of him very often, like all of us. We’re all united to support him.”
Kvyat, who was announced as Red Bull’s new driver for 2015 last week, will be the only home driver on the grid for this weekend’s inaugural Russian Grand Prix. But he admitted he had “mixed feelings because of the atmosphere”.
“Our thoughts are still about Japan,” he added. “I think it will be like this for a while.”
However Kvyat said he was glad to see his home country hosting its first race which he did not expect to happen so soon after he started racing.
“On the other side, of course, it’s my home grand prix,” he said. “I’m pleased to see what I see here: big structures, big track.”
“I think around ten years ago still when I was starting my career we couldn’t have dreamed about this. Now this things became reality. Obviously it’s a special moment for me and the first time racing in Russia.
“We will anyway race, in the end it’s our work and we carry on doing what we’ve been doing for such a long time.”

RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX: HAMILTON CRUISES TO EASY VICTORY

dcd1412oc103.jpg

Lewis Hamilton won the inaugural Russian Formula One Grand Prix and extended his championship lead to 17 points on Sunday in a Mercedes one-two that clinched the team’s first constructors’ title.
The Briton, who started on pole position, chalked up his fourth win in a row and ninth of the season after German team mate Nico Rosberg locked up at the first corner and damaged his tyres in a costly error.
With 100 points still to be won from the final three races, thanks to double points in Abu Dhabi, Hamilton has 291 points to Rosberg’s 274 with everything still to play for.
Hamilton, the 2008 world champion, also became only the fourth driver in F1 history to win nine races in a single season and equalled Nigel Mansell’s British record of 31 career victories.
On a warm and sunny afternoon in the Black Sea resort, Rosberg kept himself firmly in contention with a fine recovery drive from 20th place after his early pitstop.
Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Prix-Russia-WOLV
“Nico did a great job to return from his mistake,” said Hamilton. “To get the first championship for Mercedes Benz is amazing, a beautiful day. It’s very cool to have won the first race here.”
Finland’s Valtteri Bottas finished third for Williams, and set the fastest lap, in a race watched by Russian President Vladimir Putin at a circuit snaking around some of the landmark venues from this year’s Winter Olympics.
Putin also presented the trophies, in what Hamilton described as a ‘kind of surreal’ moment, with the drivers making sure he had left the podium before spraying the champagne that had lain virtually untouched last weekend following Jules Bianchi’s horrific accident in Japan.
The one-two was the ninth of the season for Mercedes, one shy of McLaren‘s 1988 record, and formally ended Red Bull‘s run of four titles in a row.
“It will be going just up the road to Brackley and congratulations to Mercedes on what they have achieved this season, they have been phenomenal,” said Red Bull principal Christian Horner. “We will be working hard to take the trophy back the 12 miles to us in 12 months’ time.”
Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Prix-Russia-SjQS
Lewis Hamilton celebrates victory number nine of the season
Mercedes returned to Formula One with a works team only in 2010, after pulling out in 1955, while the constructors’ championship did not exist before 1958.
Before the start, the 21 drivers had stood silently in a circle on the starting grid in a tribute to Bianchi, who remains critically injured, while the Russian national anthem sounded.
The 25-year-old Marussia driver was in all their thoughts following his crash into a recovery tractor at Suzuka and the sport breathed a collective sigh of relief that the race in Russia was uneventful.
While Hamilton had an easy afternoon on the track, others remained haunted by Suzuka. Marussia entered only one car for the race, keeping Bianchi’s in the garage, with Britain’s Max Chilton lasting just 10 laps before returning to the pit lane and retiring.
Rosberg, who started alongside Hamilton on the front row, got ahead of his team mate at the start but then locked up and went wide, ‘flat spotting’ his front tyres in the process.
dcd1412oc161.jpg
Russian Grand Prix podium
“It was just a mistake on my side…after that the tyres were just square, vibrating so much. I thought that was it,” the German told reporters.
Told to give the place back, the German informed the team he would have to pit. After a change from the soft to medium tyres, he rejoined with only Brazilian Felipe Massa behind him in the second Williams, asking over the radio ‘what’s the strategy now?’.
“We think we need to go to the end on these,” came the reply and Rosberg did just that, making the tyres last for the remaining 52 laps.
McLaren’s Jenson Button finished fourth with Danish team mate Kevin Magnussen fifth. Ferrari‘s Fernando Alonso was sixth, after a chaotic pitstop, while Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo and four-times world champion Sebastian Vettel were seventh and eighth. Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen took ninth place, with Force India’s Sergio Perez 10th.

MERCEDES 2014 FORMULA 1 WORLD CHAMPIONS

Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Prix-Russia-lULr

Mercedes team sealed their first Formula 1 Constructors’ World Championship in fine style with another dominant one-two finish at the inaugural Russian Grand Prix.
“It is just fantastic, we have worked so hard for this, so many people have worked for many years to put this together and we have made history here today and we have got to now enjoy it,” Executive Director (Technical) Paddy Lowe told Sky Sports F1.
Lewis Hamilton was full of praise for his team as he claimed his ninth victory of the season and Mercedes wrapped up the title in the process, “We’ll have a big celebration, lots of things planned so we are going to spread it all out.”
Lowe is adamant that the team will not relax until the drivers’ title is also in the bag, “The drivers’ championship is still to play for and we won’t feel comfortable until we’ve got both of them mathematically in position. Even then we need to make sure they both have a reliable car in beneath them to finish the races.”
Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Prix-Russia-I4et
Lewis Hamilton spearheaded the title clinching 1-2 for Mercedes at Sochi
Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff reveled in the “great moment” for the German team, but was equally adamant that injured Marussia driver Jules Bianchi should not be forgotten amid the celebrations.
“Before we talk about the achievement we don’t want to forget about Jules and we are with him and it is important not to forget that, the sport is not important, it is a side story,” Wolff said.
“The team has worked so hard over the last years and has had so many difficult moments – up and down this year as well – and finally today Mercedes is a world champion and this is a great moment,” added the Austrian.
Although Mercedes have dominated with 13 wins so far this season, it has not been without drama and intrigue within the Brackley camp.
“You should have been in the meetings after Spa – that was not an easy journey, it was a difficult journey. We also had some reliability issues and up and downs. But I guess this is what it is all about – ups and downs, it is like normal life,” mused Wolff.
ddk1416mar5412-750x497.jpg
Nico Rosberg signalled his team’s intent with victory at the season opener in Melbourne
Despite the dominance the W05, although an exceptional race car, has not always been bullet proof with several DNFsalong the way and some challenging moments for the team.
Lowe explained, “We don’t want the drivers’ championship to be decided by a DNF. We have three more races to do and have a pretty solid margin over Daniel Ricciardo of 92 points with 100 in total. So we cannot have any DNFs on any of the cars.”
Non-Executive chairman, Formula 1 legend, Niki Lauda acknowledged the role of Ross Brawn from whom Mercedes bought the team in 2010, “He was part of the team for many years and he made the start of it and now Paddy has finished it.”
The 2014 Formula 1 constructors’ title is Mercedes’ first, as in 1954 and 1955 (when they last competed at the pinnacle of the sport) the accolade did not exist.

HAMILTON: IT’S HISTORY AND I’M PROUD TO BE A PART OF IT

Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Prix-Russia-OuIP

Lewis Hamilton scored his ninth win of the season with victory at the inaugural Russian grand Prix at Sochi Autodrom, and apart from a brief moment, in the early stages of the race, he led from start to finish taking a win which will go down as one of the most hassle free of his career. He spoke about his afternoon at the Olympic venue where he spearheaded another Mercedes one-two finish and with it helped the German team clinch the 2014 Formula 1 Constructors’ World Championship.
You’ve won first ever Russian Grand Prix of the modern era – how do you feel?
Lewis Hamilton: So happy to be here. We’ve had an amazing week. The fans and really the organisers. Russia’s been so good to me and to the team. I’m so grateful for all the support and I’m really looking forward to coming here many, many more times. It’s not very far from where I live so I’m going to be hopping over for some holidays for sure.
Seventeen points in front of Nico. You think it’s enough or not?
LH: Obviously Nico did a great job to recover from his mistake earlier on today but the car was performing really well. We did a great job as a team. It’s history for us, so I feel very proud to be a part of it – me and Nico and all the team members. To get the first Constructors’ Championship for Mercedes Benz is amazing, so it’s a beautiful day.
We could see you were pushing very hard by the number of fastest laps you did – but you seemed to have virtually no problems. Any problems with fuel consumption? Any problems with tyres? Just one little lock-up we saw from you.
LH: Yeah, it was a good, good day and an amazing weekend. Firstly, I’m just so proud to have contributed to have worked with this great team, to get the first Constructors’ Championship for Mercedes-Benz. I could have only dreamed of that when I joined this team. So, a great day for that. Huge congratulations to all the guys that are here and back home in the UK and also in Germany. But yeah, today, once I was out in the lead I was really just having to control, just looking after the tyres, managing the fuel was quite straightforward. And then, towards the end of the race the car felt great so I could push or not push. I wasn’t really having to push much and even when I was having to pick up the pace a little bit when I eventually found Nico was behind, it was easy to match the times. And the car’s been amazing this weekend and I really, really enjoyed the track. I tell you, Russia’s been one of my favourite places so far this year, so it’s very cool to have won the first race here.
Can you describe your experience on the podium and especially when you were handed the trophy? Be as specific as possible.
LH: Well, it was kind of normal really. Kind of surreal for the president to be presenting the award. That was a great experience. The crowd have been amazing this weekend. I don’t know, I just never… I didn’t know that Formula One was something that people followed here in Russia. I didn’t know that there was actually a real love for it. To see the people turn out in their thousands yesterday and the grandstands full and then again today… They’re really enthusiastic, it looks like they’re really excited that we’re here and on top of that they did an amazing job with the track, the layout, with the surface, with the actual event. You would have thought they’d had this event many many times. I take my hat off to them.
Your lead is now 17 points, but I remember this in 2007 and you had the same 17 points behind Kimi Raikkonen. Are you not afraid of repeating the situation as in 2007?
LH: I remember 2007 very well. I wasn’t afraid then either but I guess I was perhaps less experienced so I’m a completely different man today so I’m looking forward to the races coming up.

ROSBERG: IT WAS A MISTAKE, BRAKED TOO LATE AND THAT’S IT

dcd1412oc103.jpg

Nico Rosberg finished second in the Russian Grand Prix, but did himself no favours when he flat spotted his tyres with an overly ambitious move at the start of the race as the field hurtled into Turn 1 and was forced to pit for a new set of tyres shortly after.
The Mercedes driver then proceeded to deliver a superb performance by carving his way from the back of the field to second place on the podium. With it he helped his team score yet another one-two finish, and wrap up the 2014 Formula 1 Constructors’ World Championship.
Your fight was with Valtteri Bottas and you won it. Do you really think the tyres were gone or was it a bluff, like in poker?
Nico Rosberg: No, it was a great strategy from the team. The thing is that our car is unbelievable. It’s so good; everybody has done such a great job building this car. That’s why half of me of course is extremely disappointed that I messed up today but the other half, I’m really, really happy, because everybody in the team deserves it so much. For them the most important title of the year is the Constructors’ Championship, that’s why I can even smile a bit, because I’m happy for everybody to have achieved that.
What happened on the first lap? We heard you say you had a vibration. Did that go with the change of tyres? Tell us about that because that really governed your whole race.
NR: Yeah, of course. It was just a mistake on my side, braked too late and that’s it. Very unnecessary because it was my corner and should have been in the lead after that. So, obviously very disappointed with that. After that my tyres were just square. They were vibrating so much I couldn’t see where I was going so I knew that I had to pit. For me, I thought that was it. I thought that was the end of the day – but then of course, partly happy to get back all the way to second, passing Valtteri along the way and then… yeah, it’s just thanks to my car. My car was just unbelievable today and that’s what allowed me to come back through the field. That’s the main thing really. In hindsight really, even if it was a bit… I could have pushed more during the race, y’know? But it’s always easy to know afterwards but even at the end my tyres were fine. So, yeah, that’s a pity but anyway, it’s difficult to know that during the race.
When you tried to overtake Lewis at the first corner, you were on the inside line; is it because it’s not the racing line, is that line, let’s say, that you normally have to brake a little bit earlier to compensate?
NR: No, I don’t think so. It was definitely do-able and I just messed up, very simple, no explanation. Just braked too late and too hard.
Now that the Constructors’ title has been won, will you change your way of racing together or will it be the same?
NR: It’s the same, you know. Up until now, it’s always been we can fight and it continues to be like that. We can fight, it doesn’t change.

BOTTAS: WE NEED TO BE HAPPY AS A TEAM

dms1412oc242.jpg

On more than one occasion Valtteri Bottas has taken the fight to the dominant Silver Arrows, at the Russian Grand Prix it was he again who almost single handled challenged them in qualifying, but in the race the Williams driver simply lacked the firepower to take them on in a fair fight nevertheless he was easily the best of rest around Sochi Autodrom.
How do you feel after finishing in third place behind the two drivers of the new F1 world champion team?
Valtteri Bottas: Well, I need to be happy for us as a team. You know, what we have been doing since last year is amazing. Again on the podium, so a good amount of points. We were today ‘best of the rest’. Unfortunately, Mercedes is still quite a bit ahead but, you know, we did the best we could from where we started, so we need to be happy as a team.
At one point the pace seemed to be really close to Mercedes, perhaps closer than we’ve seen in any race so far this year…
VB: Yeah, the beginning seemed to be very good and I was not far off from Lewis and everything was going into the plan. The tyres were feeling good and suddenly the rear tyres started to go, started to lose pace and was struggling more and more and Lewis was getting far a way. Then we stopped for the Prime and it took just a really long time to get the Prime tyre to work. It was just getting better towards the end. I did my best lap in the last lap of the race. It was really weird. And as it took so long to get the tyres to work, Nico got me in Turn One. It was a bit of a surprise for me, didn’t expect him to come inside. Luckily I saw him in time so there was no contact. Yeah, as a team I think we again did a good job. We’ve come so much forward from last season so it’s again, really good to be on the podium.
Last year you had your best result in Austin. Is it going to happen this year also?
VB: I really hope so. I got my first points in Formula One in Austin last year so it would be nice to have a good weekend there. I think the track should be OK for us so let’s aim for that.

ZETSCHE: IT IS A TIME OF GREAT PRIDE AND SATISFACTION

dms1411my231.jpg

Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars released the following statement on the occasion of the Silver Arrows wrapping up the 2014 Formula 1 Constructors’ World Championship with a dominant one-two at the Russian Grand Prix where Lewis hamilton headed home Nico Rosberg.
“It is a time of great pride and satisfaction to mark the first ever FIA Formula 1 World Constructors Championship to be won by a Silver Arrow. This victory is the product of many years of hard work combined with great commitment and exceptional engineering skill.”
“And it has additional meaning for a manufacturer like Mercedes-Benz to succeed in a year of technological change. The new rules for the 2014 season gave us the opportunity to demonstrate the technical expertise of Mercedes-Benz on a world stage.”
“Our engineers were able to develop not just the most powerful and most efficient Hybrid Power Unit but also the most intelligent solutions for our W05 Hybrid race car. With 13 wins from 16 races so far, our performance this year has been true to the promise of the Mercedes-Benz brand: The Best Or Nothing.”
F12013GP05ESP_JK1406694-750x496.jpg
“My congratulations go to our Formula 1 team at Brackley and Brixworth on their achievement, to our drivers Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton, and to each and every one of my colleagues who has contributed to this success and supported our Mercedes-Benz Silver Arrows.”
“I would also like to mark this moment by saying that our thoughts are with Jules Bianchi and his loved ones after his tragic accident at the Japanese Grand Prix. The plight of this bright, talented young sportsman overshadows any thought of sporting celebration.”
“Thanks to the excellent work of the FIA and the teams, Formula 1 today sets a benchmark standard for safety and I know that no stone will be left unturned by the President of the FIA, Jean Todt, and his experts, to ensure that the right lessons are learned from this tragic incident.”

ALONSO: MY FUTURE IS ALREADY SET AND IT’S SO OBVIOUS

140022rus.jpg

Fernando Alonso dropped a big hint about his future immediately after the Russian Grand Prix, also indicating that a decision on his future is imminent.
Wild reports in the past few days suggested the Spaniard was working on a sensational deal to join dominant Mercedes next year, in Lewis Hamilton’s place.
“This is all bullshit,” Mercedes boss Toto Wolff told German television Sky at Sochi. “We have a driver lineup for next year [Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg].”
“We just don’t want to go into contract negotiations [with Hamilton beyond 2015] during this intense phase, which is why there are these reports. But we have said that at the end of the season, we will get together and renew the contract,” Wolff insisted.
d07bra765.jpg
Fernando Alonso drove for McLaren in 2007
Alonso has undoubtedly been in talks with McLaren-Honda for 2015, but the Woking team has reportedly been trying to drive down his retainer and insisting upon a more than one-year term.
It has triggered reports Alonso could go elsewhere in 2015 as a ‘stopgap’ — perhaps Williams or Lotus, both of which will have the field-leading Mercedes V6 next year.
But the 33-year-old has now been quoted by the US broadcaster NBC after the Russian Grand Prix that his next team will not be powered by Mercedes.
“My future is already set,” he told British television Sky a few minutes earlier. “Or already set in my mind for some months. Now we are finalising everything. You need to be patient, you need to wait a little bit.”
“I cannot say anything until everything is completely done but it’s good and I will do the best for my future and the best for the future of Ferrari because it is the team that I love. When you know it you will say ‘it was so obvious you will do that’,” he added.

MERCEDES NOT BACKING DOWN AMID ‘UNFREEZE’ PRESSURE

GBL7148_V6_side_140116-750x500.jpg

Mercedes is unlikely to back down amid mounting pressure from Formula 1 rivals to agree to relax the current engine freeze, as their power units set the benchmark at the pinnacle of the sport.
Christian Horner, boss of the works Renault-powered team Red Bull, said earlier in Russia that Mercedes initially agreed to the proposed ‘unfreeze’ but then went back on its word.
“In Singapore the teams unanimously agreed on a position and then, I think, subsequently from that meeting, Mercedes changed their position,” Horner said.
After that, the majority of those in the Formula 1 strategy group voted for the ‘unfreeze’ and so it will now be sent to the Formula 1 Commission for ratification.
But without dominant Mercedes and the marque’s customer-powered teams also on board, the changes will not be allowed in 2015.
Toto Wolff, Mercedes’ motor sport boss, said in Russia on Saturday: “We have already stated our position at the meeting of the strategy group, and in the coming months our position will not change.”
The Austrian said Mercedes’ position is not because the team is so dominant at the start of the new turbo V6 era, but because “Formula 1 needs stability”.
“It would be very easy to just block everything from our position of strength, but we have a different approach,” Wolff insisted.
“There are rules, there are procedures so that we do not make hasty decisions that may lead to destabilisation.
“I am deeply convinced that you cannot change the rules in October just because they do not suit you,” he added.
Wolff argues that allowing in-season engine development will drive up costs, perhaps even most of all for Mercedes.
He hit back at Ferrari‘s claim that allowing the ‘unfreeze’ will not cost any more.
“If you make a new version of the engine by the end of June or the beginning of July, then the process of development happens twice per year, not once.
“I don’t know how Ferrari has done their calculations, but perhaps we should give them a calculator. It is impossible that it does not cost more,” said Wolff.
“We (Mercedes) supply engines to three customers as well as our own team,” he also explained. “We need to produce and supply all of them with the same power unit.
“It is a different situation to Honda, who have only one team, or Ferrari with two, though it is unclear what will happen next year,” Wolff said.
“We are also in a different situation to Renault.
“This subject will be conducted at the level of the Formula 1 Commission and I think it is quite understandable that there is no consensus just three months before the start of the new season,” he insisted.

VERGNE WITH VERSTAPPEN IN 2015 MAKES SENSE SAYS TOST

Jean-Eric-Vergne-F1-Grand-Prix-Singapore

Jean-Eric Vergne is now a hot contender to keep his seat at Toro Rosso next year, amid a raft of musical chairs within the Red Bull backed F1 teams in the aftermath of Sebastian Vettel’s departure.
The Red Bull-owned team earlier announced the Frenchman’s impending departure, to make room for the teenage sensation Max Verstappen in 2015.
But Verstappen’s scheduled 2015 teammate, the impressive Russian Daniil Kvyat who qualified a sensational fifth on home soil at Sochi on Saturday, is now heading to Red Bull’s main team next year to replace departing Sebastian Vettel.
Spanish rookie Carlos Sainz jr was initially the favourite to replace Kvyat at Toro Rosso, but that would leave the Faenza team with two inexperienced and young rookies in 2015.
When asked about Sainz’s obvious candidature on Friday, Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost answered: “There are also other drivers.”
The first he named was 24-year-old Vergne, who Tost pointed out “is an experienced driver”.
And now, to the German-language Speed Week, Tost has added: “Vergne has collected a lot of experience, has put in a good performance. To be there at the side of the young Max Verstappen probably makes the most sense.”
However, as Tost already pointed out on Friday, “Red Bull will decide” who gets the seat “within the next weeks”.

SIROTKIN CONFIDENT OF F1 RACE SEAT IN 2015

JSX9903-001.jpg

Russian teenager Sergey Sirotkin is sounding confident he will make his Formula 1 debut in 2015.
The Russian teen had his maiden Friday practice outing on home soil at Sochi, declaring afterwards that his pace relative to Adrian Sutil had surprised him.
“I did not attack 100 per cent,” Sirotkin told Russia’s Championat. “I was not even close to the limit. It means the summit is not as high as I had thought. I feel like I am more than ready for next year.”
Sirotkin’s comments follow boss Monisha Kaltenborn’s claim earlier this weekend that she was set for revived talks at Sochi over Sauber’s so-called ‘Russian rescue deal’.
Speaking about his prospects for 2015, Sirotkin admitted: “It is very positive. I still cannot officially say what will happen next, but the chances are very good. I think that it will not be long until there will be an official announcement.”

F1 TO TEST AUTOMATED YELLOW FLAG SYSTEM IN AUSTIN

d13hun2208.jpg

Formula 1 looks set to test new software and procedures next time out in Austin that will automatically limit the speed of the cars through double waved yellow flag zones.
It is the governing FIA’s reaction to Jules Bianchi’s life-threatening collision with a recovery vehicle at Suzuka a week ago, when the Frenchman lost control of his Marussia despite the waving of yellow flags.
But it seems the drivers themselves have also been at the centre of the proposed solution, with Fernando Alonso telling Italy’s Autosprint that “I was the one who raised the issue” with Charlie Whiting earlier in Russia.
“It seems to be a feasible idea,” said the Spaniard. “In indoor karting, the management can limit the speed of all the competitors by pressing a button.”
Fellow Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen agreed: “As long as it’s the same for everyone, I don’t see any problem with it.”
Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport claims that Whiting met with team bosses on Saturday and said a proposed solution is to mandate a minimum ‘delta time’ through yellow flag zones that drivers will have the responsibility to obey.
But Formula 1’s swift reaction to the Bianchi crash does not mean the FIA has escaped criticism.
Bernie Ecclestone had earlier called for an independent investigation, but La Stampa correspondent Stefano Mancini said: “It was hard to imagine that, in investigating himself, Charlie Whiting would have recognised (the FIA) had taken dangerous decisions (in Japan).”
And Formula 1 legend Alain Prost told France’s RMC: “I don’t want to argue with the FIA, because I have too much respect for everything that has been done for safety.
“But if there was one area where we knew there was something still to be done, this was it.
“So I am not convinced (by the investigation), but (I say that) without controversy,” Prost added.
“In extreme circumstances, you should have zero risk. That is why I cannot be totally convinced.

MATESCHITZ OPTIMISTIC ABOUT LIFE AFTER VETTEL

Dietrich+Mateschitz+F1+Testing+HS9mXPv2c

Red Bull mogul Dietrich Mateschitz insists he is not disappointed to be losing world champion Sebastian Vettel, and admits he is optimistic about both his team’s future driver line-up.
A week ago at Suzuka, the German – who was nurtured from boyhood to Formula 1 stardom by the energy drink company starting with Toro Rosso in 2007 – announced to Red Bull and the world that he is leaving the team.
It is expected he will switch to Ferrari for 2015. But billionaire Mateschitz insisted to the German news agency DPA that, at the moment, Vettel and Red Bull Racing are not compatible.
“Given Red Bull’s handicap with the current [Renault] power unit and Mercedes‘ dominance,” he said, “you don’t need a four-time world champion who at best can be best of the rest.”
And according to Mateschitz, the promise shown by Vettel’s successor, 20-year-old Daniil Kvyat, is another reason Red Bull is happily letting its champion go.
“We considered it neither just nor necessary to intervene,” he said, “particularly since this switch brings huge financial savings.
“I also believe that the forthcoming switches will contribute a lot to the excitement of the next Formula 1 season,” Mateschitz added.

Alonso 'didn't have the pace'

Fernando-Alonso_3215908.jpg

After a lacklustre race in Russia, Fernando Alonso has yet again refused to give any hint as to where his future lies.
The double World Champion again failed to shine with Ferrari, bringing his F14T home in sixth place at the Sochi circuit.
Initially it appeared as if he would be fighting for a higher position, however, a botched pit stop meant he was stationary for seven seconds and lost places.
The Spaniard, though, says the pit stop had little to do with his P6 on the day.
He told Sky Sports F1: "It was not perfect [the stop] but we didn't have the pace in the race, we didn't have the pace all weekend.
"We did a good start but we were out of position because we were not as fast as fourth.
"At the end let's think positive, we did a good race. We managed to save a lot of fuel at the end at the end with Ricciardo and even with a good pit stop I think with Kevin we had no chance.
"Obviously Rosberg was quite impressive. Stopping at lap one and going to the end, it is very dominant form. They won the Constructors' Championship so congratulations to them but we need to do better next time."
That, of course, raised the question about the Spaniard's future and whether there would be a next time with Ferrari.
Alonso had nothing much to say on the matter.
"Nothing really, my future is already set in my mind for some months and now are finalising everything.
"For the remaining races it is about trying to maximise what we have and I think here this weekend we didn't get the maximum from the car as we were very close to the podium at some races but we weren't close here.
"We need to do better next time."
Pushed as to when fans will know about his plans, he said: "You need to wait a little bit. Obviously I cannot say another until everything is done.
"I will do the best for my future and the future of Ferrari as it is a team that I love and when you know it you will say it is so obvious."

Magnussen 'quicker than expected'

Kevin-Magnussen_3215892.jpg

Having secured his best result since Australia, Kevin Magnussen says McLaren need to understand why they had good pace at Sochi.
Penalised five places on the Russian GP grid for a gearbox change, Magnussen began Sunday's 53 lap race from P11.
The Dane, though, was soon working his way up the order.
Sixth at the end of the opening lap, he moved up one place to cross the line fifth despite having to save fuel for much of the grand prix.
"I had a good first lap and stayed there for rest of the race as it wasn't such an eventful race," he said.
"I had to do an incredible amount of fuel saving. I was driving like a Sunday, well it is Sunday, driving so relaxed, easing off the power 200m before the corners. A lot of fuel saving.
"I'm very surprised no one was catching me as I was doing so much.
"It was a good recovery from what we had in qualifying and the penalty we had so I'm really happy for the team to get some decent points towards the Constructors' Championship."
Asked if he was surprised by the amount of fuel saving needed, he said: "There was a lot of fuel saving. Everyone must have had it otherwise they would have caught me."
Magnussen's P5 coupled with team-mate Jenson Button's fourth earned McLaren 22 points, allowing the team to retake fifth in the Constructors' Championship by 20 points over Force India.
"At this point really it is very important that we finish in front of them and get fifth in the Constructors' Championship," he added.
"It has been a good weekend in many areas. We were quicker than we expected to be and need to understand why and see if we can carry it forward."

Why did Kamui retire in Russia?

Kamui-Kobayashi_3215867.jpg

There's some confusion at Caterham as to why Kamui Kobayashi retired in Russia with contrasting claims from the driver and the team.
Immediately after parking his car back in the Caterham garage, Kobayashi told the media that he had no problem with the car, rather he was told to park it by management.
He told BBC 5 live: "Nothing wrong with the car. The team asked me to stop the car to save mileage.
"We have a lot of mileage limitation to avoid things going wrong with the parts. This is why I get message from top management."
Caterham, however, claim there was a problem with the car.
The team tweeted: "The reason for @kamui_kobayashi's retirement was that his brakes were overheating and it was too dangerous for him to carry on racing."
Hmmm...
Kobayashi later toed the party line in a Caterham press report, saying: "When I heard over the radio that I needed to pit I thought it was just a normal pit-stop, but then I was told that I needed to retire.
"It was all a bit of a surprise to me and at first I didn't really know what the reason for having to stop was.
"The team has now analysed the telemetry and it was clear that my brakes were overheating too much. "

No reward for Massa’s Safety Car strategy gamble

mass-24-470x313.jpg

A fuel pressure problem in qualifying meant Felipe Massa started the Russian Grand Prix from 18th on the grid.
Williams took a chance on an alternative strategy to move him up the order. It was one that would have worked very well had the Safety Car been deployed.
But although there was good reason to expect it would happen, the Safety Car didn’t play a role in the grand prix.
Massa pitted at the end of the first lap to replace his medium tyres with softs. Had the Safety Car come out, other cars around him which started on softs would have needed to pit to make the mandatory switch to mediums.
As that never happened, Massa found himself stuck in traffic once he came up against the similarly quick car of Sergio Perez.
“I lost a lot of time behind him,” said Massa. “After my second stop I soon found myself behind Perez again and I didn’t really have any good opportunities to take a risk and pass him.”
Earlier in the race Massa had been little more than a second behind Rosberg, who like him pitted on the first lap of the race. But while Rosberg completed the remainder of the race on his medium tyres and climbed to second, Massa finished a frustrated and point-less 11th behind Perez.

Early end for Chilton’s solo run on “emotional” day

chil-42-470x313.jpg

The only Marussia in the Russian Grand Prix was the first retirement from the race when Max Chilton reported a problem with his car.
Although Chilton suspected a fault at the front-left of his Marussia when he retired in the pits on lap ten, the team suspect the cause lay on the opposite end of the car.
“We felt the only option was to stop the car so that we could inspect it,” said chief engineer Dave Greendwood. “Having done so, we found that there was actually an issue with the right rear so we decided to retire him.”
Chilton said it had been an emotional experience when he and his fellow drivers paid tribute to his team mate Jules Bianchi, who was seriously injured in the last race in Japan.
“After an incredibly tough week for everyone in the team, we all deserved so much more from today’s race,” he said.
“It hasn’t been an easy day, far from it, and all the guys have had to dig deep to get us to the grid. When we got there of course, it was very emotional with all the support for Jules. I think the team, the sport and all the fans have really done him proud.”
“What the team needs now is to head home for support from their families and colleagues back at the factory,” he added. “Somehow we need to find the strength to regroup and move forward, which is hard to contemplate right now.”