Cricket thread

This is a direct effect of CA keeping the old boys test team a few years back and not gradually introducing new young talent who could learn (e.g. held by the ear..) and subsequently continue the team culture. Because CA only introduced new guys when the old retired (almost in bulk over two-three years) the new kids don't have any idea what team culture is about. Hence the behavior and intrigue we've seen the past year.

Combine this with the general cricket focus on bash, crash, and WAGs, the chance of developing test players who can bat patiently for 2 days and be a good example for the team on and off the field is pretty slim.

Agree - that's my take on the Australian team at mo - lack of talent, lack of experience, it's the generational turnover when the greats depart and others either haven't been developed or simply aren't as good.

Also T20 has had a non-negligeable impact on this new generation who couldn't bat out a day to save themselves. NZ no exception, look at the test team regularly collapsing for a hundy or half that. The players are busy either trying to get picked for or preparing for the IPL where all the money is and where all that matters is big slogging. Consistency is an epithet reserved for the older generation, either retired or on their way out of the game.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone think Lance Franklin should captain Hawthorn Football Club. Or Quade Cooper captain the Reds?

quade cooper did captain the reds - last weekend. and in the circumstances, did a reasonable job.

but agree with lots of the rest. rubbish bunch of blokes.

one thing, the 48 invincibles might have a few words about greatest team ever. i think you can safely get away with greatest team of the last 50 years, especially because the reign went on so long but bradman's team had one huge advantage - bradman.

i am disgusted with cricket australia. all this crap about laying down the law etc - what bollocks. he was fined one fourth of what cooper copped for describing an atmosphere as toxic. a joke. and suspended a few giggle games. cooper was effectively, despite what that lying dimwit deans may say, banned from the test team for a yet undetermined period.

cricket australia may have got some respect if they said you are out for all ten tests.

This is a direct effect of CA keeping the old boys test team a few years back and not gradually introducing new young talent who could learn (e.g. held by the ear..) and subsequently continue the team culture. Because CA only introduced new guys when the old retired (almost in bulk over two-three years) the new kids don't have any idea what team culture is about. Hence the behavior and intrigue we've seen the past year.

Combine this with the general cricket focus on bash, crash, and WAGs, the chance of developing test players who can bat patiently for 2 days and be a good example for the team on and off the field is pretty slim.

This looks right to me. At the end of the last Aussie team's Era, even we were asking "where's the next bunch"?

Also don't understand why Katich isn't there, a genuine test batsman, currently playing well at Lancashire.

Still, England had their issues, and I am still uncomfortable with the importation of players from other countries, finding it difficult to cheer for KP and Trott....sad to see Australia trying to get a spinner in the same way.

But am pleased that we are now bringing through good young English players, as we did with Anderson, who has to be up there with Steyn at the mo. To bring these guys through, we borrowed an Australian tactic...put money into it! Same with the cycling...

I agree, Cricket Australia were sleeping while Pontins great team were winning, they should have been looking to bring through the next bunch..

Forgive my ignorance Ken... my interest in Super Rugby is limited to scandal mostly.

I guess my point is leadership is about standards. On and off the field. Everyone kept saying Warne would have made a magnificent captain. What rubbish. If captaincy/leadership was limited to just field positional moves and choosing who to bowl then he would have been great. But it's not. Unfortunately Australia's best 'leader' is George Bailey who is pigeon holed and has never really been given the chance.

Forgive my ignorance Ken... my interest in Super Rugby is limited to scandal mostly.

I guess my point is leadership is about standards. On and off the field. Everyone kept saying Warne would have made a magnificent captain. What rubbish. If captaincy/leadership was limited to just field positional moves and choosing who to bowl then he would have been great. But it's not. Unfortunately Australia's best 'leader' is George Bailey who is pigeon holed and has never really been given the chance.

problem with bailey is that australians have always believed we need to pick the best team and then a captain from the team. bailey surely doesn't deserve a spot in the top team? mind you, who does?

nearly 100 first class matches and an average below 40? also he is now past 30? we don't want a brearley in charge?

clark obviously has huge problems with some team members but he is far and away our only real talent.

the point of the next generation is largely spot on but there have to be guys that step up. who has been doing that? not sure there are many. should we have dropped ponting or hussey for age alone? especially when they were head and shoulders above anything else? it is tough. our kiwi friend is spot on with a lot of the thoughts but it is tough.

for me, the demise of the shield comp is largely to blame as it used to provide a great many exceptional cricketers who were able to step up. hussey a prime example - amazing to think he was actually past 30 before he played a test. the last time this happened was when marsh, lillee, chappell, walters et al all went at a similar time.

but as young kids get huge money playing giggle games, hard to say to them not to.

we need a way to elevate the domestic first class cricket to make certain we have strength there. if anyone has an answer, love to hear it.

Well, this ICC tournament has proved me wrong, by proving to be a tournament worth watching.

From India dominating every match they play, to Sangakara playing a wonderful hundred, to tight finishes between Engand and New Zealand, and Australia v Sri Lanka.

Thought Australia were going to do it, but they are knocked out, along with NZ.

So England V South Africa, and India v Sri Lanka.

Mouthwatering suff, and well worth watching.

I'm not a huge fan of limited overs cricket but it has been an excellent tournament so far despite the predictably shoddy weather, maybe only 2 dead games? Far better than the WC in that respect!

I'm going to the Yorks v Surrey game on Saturday will hopefully get to see the white rose boys steamroll kp and punter and co. Praying for a dry day

one thing about bailey - apparently he was fully aware of warner's actions, didn't even report them to team management and when questioned, dismissed it as a minor incident and not important.

after that, he should never be given the chance. yet another cricketer who just doesn't get it. at least clark has been critical of it.

Yeah by the sounds of it Ken Bailey has probably shown a lack of leadership. Australian cricket needs a full overhaul and that starts with honesty at the top. Acknowledge the problem publicly and then show us what you intend to do to fix it. until then the fans will continue to be indifferent towards cricket and that won't inspire the next generation of crickets to bring us back to the top.

Yeah by the sounds of it Ken Bailey has probably shown a lack of leadership. Australian cricket needs a full overhaul and that starts with honesty at the top. Acknowledge the problem publicly and then show us what you intend to do to fix it. until then the fans will continue to be indifferent towards cricket and that won't inspire the next generation of crickets to bring us back to the top.

completely agree.

the problem is that we have recently had the argus report on the dysmal state of cricket in australia and what needs to be done. and it has effectively been completely ignored - or as gideon haigh said, they picked the low hanging fruit. they pulled out a few things that were easy and did them but couldn't/wouldn't touch the tough and necessary things. squibbed it and we have gone further downhill.

pat howard was a fine 5/8 and i gather an even better rugby coach but as an administrator, suffice to say he was apparently integral to the appointment of deans during his time in rugby and now cricket in a complete shambles. he needs to go, as do a fair few of them.

anyone responsible for warner being allowed to play any time in the next 12 months should hang their heads in shame and scurry off to a dark corner.

house_cricket2.jpgsy-sewing-thread__63546_PE171203_S4.jpg

Do I have the right place?

house_cricket2.jpgsy-sewing-thread__63546_PE171203_S4.jpg

Do I have the right place?

Ha, Yeah, I see what you've done there..cricket, thread.....

Anyway,

Roll on England, decimated South Africa...let's hope the weather holds in Cardiff tomorrow (not likely) for the India v Sri Lanka game.

Either way, it's hard to see any one but India winning..but good stuff from England.

Does anyone honestly think we can win... a test? I can't recall a series in my life when I have been so bereft of hope. Even the India series I thought we would be competitive. I was horribly wrong though.

If we can't keep England under 250 in every innings we will get rolled 5-0 with a couple of innings defeats thrown in for good measure. That way as long as Clarke keeps pumping out triple hundreds we might have a chance party.gif

WEll, we bottled down the batting order again!...bugger.

The final was ruined by the "English summer" again...ho hum.

Positives...Anderson must be the best fast bowler in world cricket by now...he has it on a string..

Bye Bye to Mickey Arthur...who's next?

I think Australia will benefit from this change, they are obviously not at a stage where they can benefit from the more technical aproach of Arthur, and need someone like Lehmann to provide a rallying cry, or a kick up the arse!

How they go in Trent Bridge, where the ball always moves, will be key to Australia.

I think Australia will benefit from this change, they are obviously not at a stage where they can benefit from the more technical aproach of Arthur, and need someone like Lehmann to provide a rallying cry, or a kick up the arse!

How they go in Trent Bridge, where the ball always moves, will be key to Australia.

I'd love to see Warner open in the first Test, so I get to watch the idiot wave his wand at about a dozen consecutive balls pitched on a good length outside off, before he finally putting himself out of my misery and edging one to any of the lucky 8 slips! I'm sure though that Lehmann will have Cowan (or Watson) and Rogers open, and ask Warner to cut up the oranges.

I feel very unpatriotic hoping for Warner to play and register a pair, but I think it's in the best long term interests of Australian cricket!

I'd love to see Warner open in the first Test, so I get to watch the idiot wave his wand at about a dozen consecutive balls pitched on a good length outside off, before he finally putting himself out of my misery and edging one to any of the lucky 8 slips! I'm sure though that Lehmann will have Cowan (or Watson) and Rogers open, and ask Warner to cut up the oranges.

I feel very unpatriotic hoping for Warner to play and register a pair, but I think it's in the best long term interests of Australian cricket!

a nasty traffic accident with warner on the wrong end of it would be "the best long term interests of australian cricket".

mitchell johnson? or did he fail to make the squad?

i was going to suggest peter siddle!

a nasty traffic accident with warner on the wrong end of it would be "the best long term interests of australian cricket".

I'm all for this Ken, but i'd rather we use someone else's car. My Camry has a loose muffler and i fear driving over Warner would dislodge it completely.

Well, that's one question answered..now, who will England open with?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ricket/23133822

At least this will be an English team, with no Welshmen to cock it up.....sneaky.gif

Sounds like you really want a Welshman in your team.

I'll tell you what, we'll trade you one of our New South Welshmen for any of your dodgy Essex players!

How does Warner for Cook sound as a trade?

So I assume test batting line up will be Watson, Rogers, Cowan, Hughes, Clarke, Warner, Haddin ?? Maybe Kuwaja for Warner?? Apparently Kuaja and Lehman get on so who knows but you would think Warner will get first chance. Then probably Starc, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon.

Probably the most balanced batting line up they could come up with. Looks a soft underbelly in that middle order though - and an untried opening partnership. But hopefully can graft some defendable totals between the old heads of Rogers, Clarke and Haddin guiding the others.

We shall see