Worst LE ever?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's the R&J Escudos from 07. Tried one after release and wasn't impressed and then tried one 2 weeks ago and was still unimpressed!

Judging by the amount of stock out there, I'm obviously not the only one who wasn't impressed by it......try picking up a box of R&J Dukes from 2009, bloody impossible to find! :(

For me it's the R&J Escudos from 07. Tried one after release and wasn't impressed and then tried one 2 weeks ago and was still unimpressed!

Judging by the amount of stock out there, I'm obviously not the only one who wasn't impressed by it......try picking up a box of R&J Dukes from 2009, bloody impossible to find! sad.png

Just passed through the duty free in Vancouver they had at least 8 boxes of the Dukes. I was tempted but they wouldn't open any boxes to check the condition, so I was scared off.

Just passed through the duty free in Vancouver they had at least 8 boxes of the Dukes. I was tempted but they wouldn't open any boxes to check the condition, so I was scared off.

That's my summer holidays sorted, Vancouver it is :P

Someone needs to show these some love. Granted i have very little experience with ELs, but i find the RAAE to be quite nice.

The first two RA Extras I had were genuinely brilliant...not had one for a while but love the size and the profile plus the pricing was reasonable initially

think the worst is the Trini Short Robusto...almost on (ridiculous) price alone...

Someone needs to show these some love. Granted i have very little experience with ELs, but i find the RAAE to be quite nice.

I really like them. I have smoked through almost two boxes now and have another four boxes sitting in my aging coolidors.

Haven't seen a thread on this so thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm a big fan of the Hoyo de Monterey marque having enjoyed multiple Epi 2s, 1s, Dieux and even the diminutive Depute. However, after multiple sticks from 2 different boxes, the Hoyo Regalos 2007 baffles me for its dull, bland and bitter character. It seems they simply got the blend wrong. Or have I been unlucky!?

Anyway that's my vote for the worst LE ever.

Any other nominations?

x1 Do not know why but I can't stand them they make me s_21-893c6556.gif

Cigars generally are not "Black or White". One mans poison is another's Grand Cru.

Very well said!

Is it just me or did the 2010 and 2012 Partagas EL's break the "chocolate EL" mold that we've seen in most of the others? It seems that they rolled the Partagas to represent the Marca, but not the others. BTW, I love both 2010 and 2012 for this reason.

Also, since I got into cigars around the end of 2009 and 2010 my experience is limited on the earlier releases, but has anyone noticed most EL's have not aged gracefully? They may, or may not, be great on release peak fast and then drop off a cliff. My MGE are holding their own right now, but I don't know if they will improve as much as I initially thought. Anyone else have this experience?

FWIW, the best EL's imo are the Partagas Serie C No.3, Cohiba 1966, HU 48 (these are stellar!), 2003 Monte C., and 2006 Cohiba Piramide (I don't hear many people smoking these). As I said earlier, not a fan of the 2004 RyJ Hermosos. Other ones that weren' spectacular were the 2010 Partagas and Ingenios. I started smoking cigars in 2010 so I don't have much experience with earlier ELs.

Trinidad Ingenios from 2007. I've smoked a few...half of the cigar is good,the rest bland. I have a full box that I picked up for a steal. The cigars look fantastic. Dark chocolate, oily wrappers. I'm hoping they'll get better over time...

I love these. I have a couple of boxes on the go. Frank, if you don't like yours, feel free to sell them off my way! :wave:

Wow. Lots of people not enjoying their RA Extras.

Well....please, ladies and gents, feel free to PM me with your trade offers! I'd love to look at the possibilities of these with you all! I'd gladly take them off your hands!

I've had a couple dozen now. I had one box (post OR batch) that had dull, non-oily wrappers, and the box as a whole just didn't have much in the way of aromas. The sticks from that box have definitely been so-so. If I'm lucky, long term age on those might do something interesting. However, all the others I've had have been phenomenal. I think it's one H S.A. homerun, IMO. The band, the packaging, the price (considering the format/size, and being a 25 box of LE's), etc. I liken my tasting notes to Rob's - definitely with that "mongrel" bite. To me, they're that RA flavour profile (stewed dark fruits, almost a Christmas fruitcake flavour profile, mixes in with some light caramel tones, shortbread cookies, and mossy, dark forest floor after a rain).....however, in this LE format, it's a bit punch-drunk and in your face.

I just had one when visiting the LCDH in Montreal at the start of the month. From a May 2011 "MLO" box. From my tasting notes - it had impeccable bunching and construction, perfect draw and resistance, with lots of thick creamy smoke. Some raisin hits, with carmelized brown sugar, with the RA fruitcake in full swing. Had a rustic, very dark and marbled, oily wrapper. Enjoyed it with a cappucino. I rated it a 93-94.

I think some boxes of these, if not dark and aromatic, could definitely be hit or miss. And I have unfortunately seen a HUGE variance in what's available from these. But if a good box is had (and there are definitely some varying box codes with these), then I think these are going to be outright epic before they even hit that 3 to 5 year mark.

LOL. Can you tell I'm a fan???? :D:blush:

But, like I said....any interested in trading these off, definitely feel free to PM me!!!

My experience with the ELs has been that if they smoke well early, then by all means smoke 'em now. Because with few exceptions (Montecristo Sublimes, Cohiba Piramides 2001), if they start out good, they don't really get better. Even the truly legendary early ELs like the Partagas Piramides 2000 and PSD3 2001 have not really aged that well and are kind of getting bland by now.

But I've found the inverse is also true. If they are not good right away, they often become spectacular later (Montecristo Robustos 2000, RyJ Hermosos were this way). So hang on to those Escudos, Dukes, etc...give 'em time.

Smoked an RAE yesterday and I LOVE them. Like Keith, will gladly trade lots of different choices for them. (he claimed the spot first though).

To be honest I do not have any hate for any particular EL's. But I am very critical more of individual cigars that are nasty.

Where the real chutzpah lies is calling the NC sticks that have trading cards and kooky labels in them and charging a premium almost on par with a nice Cuban cigar. smartass.gif

I'm no fan of the RAAE, only had a couple but they didn't draw well and were somewhat bland. I think it's my least favourite.

I really like the Regalos though, it's a favourite along with the Dukes. The profile I always get is a sort of spice cake / gingerbread. Surprised to see how little love there is for them here.

From the polarised views it seems that QC is all over the place with these.

Regalos and RAAE: I think there are huge discrepancies from one box to another. And there's no "intermediate" point, eg a "decent" box: what you get is either well rolled and very good, or fire-proof and tasteless…

I just had one when visiting the LCDH in Montreal at the start of the month. From a May 2011 "MLO" box. From my tasting notes - it had impeccable bunching and construction, perfect draw and resistance, with lots of thick creamy smoke. I rated it a 93-94.

I've got your MLOs .lol3.gif

I'd trade them all for current batch RASCCs.