Worst LE ever?

RA Extra. Half-joking but what an overrated cigar. Slap a Vegueros band on it and I wonder about the accolades.

Someone needs to show these some love. Granted i have very little experience with ELs, but i find the RAAE to be quite nice.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone needs to show these some love. Granted i have very little experience with ELs, but i find the RAAE to be quite nice.

Sorry. But I need to pile on. These were my first, (and most likely last) ELs. Huge failure in my estimation.

Foolishly bought 2 boxes... Overly tight. Chopped tobacco. Mediocre flavor at best.

Live and learn.

I love the Ramon Allones Extra spotlight.gif

bite, grunt, mongrel. My type of cigar for that particular mood.

Trini Shorts would be my most detested but there are guys out there who buy them repeatedly month in and month out. They love them. I am not sure who am I to say my opinion is better than theirs rotfl.gif

Cigars generally are not "Black or White". One mans poison is another's Grand Cru.

Obv horses for courses... To turn a phrase.

For my money... Bite, grunt, and mongrel can be found in Quinteros and such for a fraction of the price.

Does anyone sincerely taste the individual marcas in each of the EL releases? Some ELs are better than others but they do tend to age to a uniform profile, as BonVivant has indicated.

Obv horses for courses... To turn a phrase.

For my money... Bite, grunt, and mongrel can be found in Quinteros and such for a fraction of the price.

Does anyone sincerely taste the individual marcas in each of the EL releases? Some ELs are better than others but they do tend to age to a uniform profile, as BonVivant has indicated.

Pat I am a barbarian in many ways. True, i can find much the same Bite, grunt. Mongrel in Quintero's (Fresh). However what I loved with the RA Extra is depth. Mind you they mostly came out wet so I threw them in a fridge for an hour. What I found was an underpinning of class. I have seen it before on fresh cigars. Ramon Allones Celestiales Finos comes immediately to mind. When Fresh they were everywhere in terms of flavour/brutal strength. Now very good. In 5 years great (my opinion only).

There have been plenty of dud LE's (and Regionals). Again my opinion. There have also been some great cigars. i don't want the concept abandoned but rather modified to one LE a year + 1-2 Heritage releases a year. I also want to see greater affinity to Marque on the LE but they won't be able to achieve it until thy ditch the maduro'ish wrapper fixation. The 520 is a good point in case. Very Monte like, but you can't do a Rafael Gonzalez with a maduro wrapper and expect it to taste like a RG. Nor a Cohiba.

^^^^ Glad I never bought any of these. They were so hyped and then all the talk about them just died a few months after release. I read a lot of "these need time in the humidor" comments.

They were so bad that they are getting close to sold out :rolleyes:

I found the LEs up to 2008 much more true to the respective marcas and enjoyed most of the ones I tried. Post 2008 there is way too much generic chocolate/cocoa taste for me, they started having mostly ridiculous ring gauges, and the prices are crazy. <flame on> Monte 520 is a perfect example for this <flame off>. Exceptions are the RAE on the positive side and RyJ Hermosos #2 on the negative side.

I did enjoy the Monte Cs that I had but they aren't worth the price.

All good points. Cheers Rob.

I hope the Heritage concept gains traction at some point. That is a limited concept that I would certainly support. Very good point that some blends take the maduro wrapper better than others. I think this is why the Ingenios was a failure. The subtler notes that Trinidad can achieve were washed out with the cocoa puff wrapper notes.

I realize. Just bugging you.

I'm just cranky because I just arrived in Toronto at the beginning of a big snowstorm which means I probably won't be able to make the customer visit tomorrow morning... Plus I am with colleagues so I can't even arrange a nice mini-herf with the local BOTLs :(

snapback.pngBonVivant, on 26 February 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

to the OP: most of the time it is not bad fresh, but with passing of time it becomes....just another aged EL. The question to you is:

Which non-global brands had been released as ELs? Which non-global brands are about to be releases as ELs?

You think this makes a difference? VERY few ELs stay true to their original marca. They all taste relatively similar within the EL world and within general vitolas of ELs over the years imo.

I must say that the Boli PB EL was very nice, but honestly, I'd rather have a box of BBF from 2009 for less money.

You think this makes a difference? VERY few ELs stay true to their original marca. They all taste relatively similar within the EL world and within general vitolas of ELs over the years imo.

I must say that the Boli PB EL was very nice, but honestly, I'd rather have a box of BBF from 2009 for less money.

Excuse me, are you the OP?

The mag48 didn't do much for me. Kinda boring cigar. Partagas from 2010, loaded with tobacco. Really thick draw which made it unsmokable. I've only had one of each so I probably shouldn't rule them out, but I will.

Just until the other day I hadn't bought any boxes of LEs. Ramon allones extra incoming. These got unbelievably popular here in Sweden when they got released. I don't think any of our Swedish vendors has a full box for sale.

To all their palates but for me the worst El is the one that you don't enjoy... I have had all El's since 2006 (and some form 2001-2004) and some have been great, others have been dull (don't get me talking about the partagas from 2003, I know everybody loves it but mine was crap.)

I'd have to agree with Leo on most parts regarding the loss of identity on aging ELs. What really comes to mind is something Eddie said once about light marcas. From that, I don't think marcas like HdM or RyJ can stand up to the strong taste that is added from the EL leaf. I can only name a couple that have really stayed true and shined: HdM Mag 48, Monte D/Sublime/520...

As for crappy ELs: RyJ Hermosos, Escudo, Dukes. Cohiba DC. Monte Robusto? Tastes like air. Monte C? Good lord, I'm having a tough time getting rid of all of them. All Partagas ELs.

X 5 on the RA Extras. I made sure and tried it twice just to be sure. NO flavor. NO Habanos wonderful aroma. NO enjoyment thumbsdwn.gif