Does Cuba still have its Stockpile of Tobacco?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current box with brooch is interesting. I'm sure I've seen it before, I just can't remember when. Certainly not on anything made in the last 20 years. Anybody ever seen that and, if so, on what?

Two examples: PL Regalias De Londres. Montecristo Petit Tubos (at least the 10er - my 25er still sits at my buddies' house so I can't check right now).

....the warehouse is full of launch failures + stock that the world does not want in any volume.

It's time to make a low ball offer... Ten cents on the dollar to clear out the "failed launches" smile.png

Yup. And on our recent trip, a lot of retailers had a fair selection of aged and hidden treasures. They say there's all kinds of little surprises starting to trickle out of hidden and dark corners of the storage warehouses. Lots of discontinueds and other stuff that there's not really been a mass-consumer demand for, but that it an absolute stellar find for connoisseurs who are hunting for the hard-to-find gems. Not huge quantities of boxes, but they are starting to trickle out nonetheless.

So the extra inventory seems to be in finished product not raw materials? I was hoping for the latter.

That is different. They have well over 5 years supply of raw materials these days which is where they want to be. if I remember correctly back in 2000 it was 18 -24 months supply at best.

Agreed from what I heard on smaller scale tidbits of info. My first trip in 2008, they were just starting to crest the 3-year timeline on raw material supply/storage/age, after the H S.A./Tabacuba decree of longer leaf aging. My last couple of trips in 2011 and 2012, the general word was that they're now almost doubled on the "traditional" aging timeline for most leaves (especially ligero), and therefore most tobaccos were stored just over 5 years almost/already, or almost within spitting distance of 5 years (with the exception of some lighter binders and wrappers).

Count me as a fan of the Ingenios! smile.png

Agreed. Seconded here - I've had great luck with my boxes of these. Powerful little treats, that have legs for years to come.

If the 520's are packaged in cardboard boxes I will be moving them to regular boxes. Who is going to keep them in their original boxes now that you know it's not wood?

Cardboard? Aren't these boxes made of plywood covered with paper, like other Montecristos?

Exactly what I was thinking... I've never seen a cardboard dress box.

This is NOT cardboard, but plywood covered with paper, exactly like a box of Monte 1/2/3/4/5…

Verified with another very respected member the not only the 520's, but the RA Extra EL 2011 is in a cardboard box too. Basically it seems like all th EL and LCDH cigars from 2011 to present are in cardboard with the exception of the 1966 and GR.

Yeah guys, just a standard semi-plain / paper covered box, with a clasp.

I think that the big whoop about it is that the LE releases for the past two years or so have been just "standard" boxes, not really dressed up to make them very LE-ish. The fact that all (or mostly all) LE's that have come out in the previous decade have been varnished or otherwise special packaging, to make them stand out from the crowd of regular production. It goes towards Piggy's stand on H S.A. "building a better box", but they've now built a brand-image around the LE lineup, whereas many people are into them for the packaging and special appearance of those releases. The fact that they're now doing standard semi-plain boxes, maybe with an addition of a little clasp, might be a fair bit off-putting for some, and perhaps a noticable indicator of the issues that they're having with their packaging suppliers.

I think that the big whoop about it is that the LE releases for the past two years or so have been just "standard" boxes, not really dressed up to make them very LE-ish. The fact that all (or mostly all) LE's that have come out in the previous decade have been varnished or otherwise special packaging, to make them stand out from the crowd of regular production.

I disagree. Look at the first ELs released (which were among the best, btw, and are still highly sought):

- Partagas Pyramides, 2000: standard dress box

- Montecristo Robusto, 2000: standard dress box

- Montecristo Double Corona, 2001: standard dress box

- Partagas Serie D3, 2001: standard dress box

- RyJ robusto, 2001: standard dress box

- Hoyo Pyramides, 2003: standard dress box

- RyJ Hermosos No.1, 2003: standard dress box

- RyJ Hermosos No.2, 2004: standard dress box

… the Partagas D2 and D1 came in the standard SBN, like the D4…

etc. etc.

True I guess. Point made. I tend to forget alot about those early LE releases as I was on my four or five year hiatus away from cigars at the onset of the 2000's (some of my most treasured gifted ones received however).

Granted though. Thanks for the clarification, SC.

I guess my point here is that H S.A., for better or worse, has built up the consumer's expectations around the LE series with above average / above par packaging, something that sets them out (altough I think we can all agree the focus should be on the cigars more). But with their newer/recent packaging issues, it puts off some customers to only get a "normal" box with their expensive LE cigars.

Anywho, sorry for the thread hijack on that.