Does Cuba still have its Stockpile of Tobacco?

I remember reading years back that with the decline in sales of cuban cigars and the yield of tobacco staying consistent, Habanos inventory of tobacco got quite high. Well aged tobacco was making it's way into regular production cigars. I haven't heard much more since it first came up... maybe around 2008 or 2009? If Cuba still has it's stockpile, more and more aged tobacco could be blended in everyday cigars.... this could be considered a good thing by some. Just wondering from those who have visited Cuba or who has access to this information if it's still relative today.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres another question, cigars like the ra extra, 1966 etc seem to be plentiful still after 2 years of sales how limited is the LE program now compared to say when the '04 sublime came out? Were the '04 subs around for a few years before becoming scarce or has production of the new LE's increased immensely? With stockpiled tobbacco, sales are shifting to the internet and vendors seem to be taking advantage of a couple of years age on regular production. Not a critisism just where things seem to be heading.

Found this info on Trevor's site:

http://www.cubanciga...-production.htm

Storage & Aging

In the warehouse, the leaf is stored to age. From 2006, Habanos has increased the minimum aging time as follows:

• Fillers..........Ligero - 3 years
  • Fillers..........Seco - 2 years
  • Fillers..........Volado - 1 year
  • Binders........Generally - 1 year
  • Wrappers.....Generally - 1 year
  • Wrappers.....Limited Editions - 2 years
  • Wrappers.....Cohiba Maduro - 5 years

A new law/act passed recently too if I remember correctly saying that all cigar boxes have to be made from Cuban grown wood, not imported. Obviously it's taking a while for supply to match up with demand.

I can just hear the debate, "why are we using imported wood, we need to use our own wood for the boxes", "yes, let's do that". Later, "oh wait, we don't have enough wood."

Hehe, more tobacco than wood... bet that wasn't anticipated. Well, guess that can't be bad news but it must change the flavor and possibly muddy the waters for particular recent vintages. Tobacco rolled today could be from who knows when or the cigar will sit on a shelf for who knows how long before being boxed up. Guess it's a good problem to have and thanks for the updated information all :)

Lots of great tobacco and great cigars down there, just sitting around, waiting for both demand to pick up higher again, and for boxes (yes, that ridiculous wood rule now; plus, also with Cuba not paying their Spanish or Italian [?] suppliers).

But with all the lovely tobacco and cigar in storage, fingers crossed, we should continue to see epic cigar out of Havana for the next 3 or 4 years at least, pending disaster. The demand is low enough for their rolling capacity (so the rollers have less stresses on them for high volume rolling with less care), the cigar crops the last few years have been amazing, they're properly fermenting their leaves again, and just everything has the stars aligned. Hopefully it's here to stay as their new modus operandi, but there's a good buffer of a handful of years, at the very least.

Lots of great tobacco and great cigars down there, just sitting around, waiting for both demand to pick up higher again, and for boxes (yes, that ridiculous wood rule now; plus, also with Cuba not paying their Spanish or Italian [?] suppliers).

But with all the lovely tobacco and cigar in storage, fingers crossed, we should continue to see epic cigar out of Havana for the next 3 or 4 years at least, pending disaster. The demand is low enough for their rolling capacity (so the rollers have less stresses on them for high volume rolling with less care), the cigar crops the last few years have been amazing, they're properly fermenting their leaves again, and just everything has the stars aligned. Hopefully it's here to stay as their new modus operandi, but there's a good buffer of a handful of years, at the very least.

What is the general opinion of when exactly this period started? 2009/2010?

What is the general opinion of when exactly this period started? 2009/2010?

Extra fermenting storage times by H S.A. (due in part to some lower sales and fallout from the consumer market of the "dark period") and higher crop yields, both resulting in lots of great tobacco not needing to be used right away, have been since 2006 I believe. Extra rolling capacity and lots of cigars and tobacco being warehoused rather than straight shipped started in late 2008 / early 2009 I think, and it's just continued to have a domino effect, IMO. Lots of miscellaneous supplier issues for packaging in 2010 through 2012.

starting to run out...? Monte 520s in cardboard with a clasp, really? Who thought of that?

But they are the best cigars since the invention of tobacco for many wink.png

Monte Petit Tubos have been shipping in those boxes with clasps for a long time already, BTW.

Extra fermenting storage times by H S.A. (due in part to some lower sales and fallout from the consumer market of the "dark period") and higher crop yields, both resulting in lots of great tobacco not needing to be used right away, have been since 2006 I believe. Extra rolling capacity and lots of cigars and tobacco being warehoused rather than straight shipped started in late 2008 / early 2009 I think, and it's just continued to have a domino effect, IMO. Lots of miscellaneous supplier issues for packaging in 2010 through 2012.

Thanks for the response. I've just noticed that a lot of things seem to be smoking better ROTT recently. Your comments seem to explain why that might be.

I heard a rumour that Habanos were building up stock for a possible relaxation of the US embargo, otherwise in the rush to supply the US existing markets would be left short of stock.

I also heard they rotate this stock annually so as not to let a warehouse of aged stock build up that US consumers wouldn't pay a premium for!

I heard a rumour that Habanos were building up stock for a possible relaxation of the US embargo, otherwise in the rush to supply the US existing markets would be left short of stock.

I also heard they rotate this stock annually so as not to let a warehouse of aged stock build up that US consumers wouldn't pay a premium for!

It's not a rumour; Rob wrote about this at least one year ago…

Man, that's a great report. Thanks Keith peace.gif

Is that true? Anyone got a photo? im curious

Just google "Montecristo 520" and look under the images...

Montecristo-520-Edici%C3%B3n-Limitada-2012-2.png

Yes, that is correct - like Smallclub stated, that's been the talk down there and internationally for almost two years or so.

Personally, from the conversations I've both had and sat in on, I think it's a bit of a "yeah, that makes sense to me" cover story that H S.A. are using, to sway away any questions about their huge capacity overload right now, and not laying off more rollers due to the way the system works down there. They've got tons of capacity, and all the rollers are well-trained and making quality stuff now (which wasn't really the case from '99 through '04 or so). And, this may have been all part of some grand masterplan, in case the U.S. under Obama did/does do that. But yeah, there's a glut of stock being stored there, and yet they don't want to let it age overly long, as they don't want to pay to start up their own vintage program.

Man, that's a great report. Thanks Keith peace.gif

No problem. Some of us are lucky enough to go down there fairly enough, and we're given a great opportunity in this hobby to chat with industry insiders, reputed rollers and farmers, and excellent shop peoples and Habanos fanatics themselves. We gain a good chunk of info and inside tidbits, and are able to see the changes and developments over the years. And also, from other members on here, who also travel down to Cuba, and when all the little pieces of info are put together, one can gain a better picture of what's going on.

I sometimes forget that there's a TON of members who don't have some relatively easy and direct access like myself and a number of others do. A lot of times I don't think to just outright share all the learned info upon a return from a trip, but rather it dribbles out in conversations like this. Also, there's TONS of stuff that we learn/hear/see down there, that can't be discussed, due to developing changes or not wanting to upset the apple cart and potentially offending a great source. Sometimes it only dribbles out months or years later then....

starting to run out...? Monte 520s in cardboard with a clasp, really? Who thought of that?

The Monte 520's are not the only one. Many of the recent RE's and :LE's are comming out in cardboard boxes which is a real shame seeing as how you pay a significant premium for them over standard production cigars.

The Monte 520's are not the only one. Many of the recent RE's and :LE's are comming out in cardboard boxes which is a real shame seeing as how you pay a significant premium for them over standard production cigars.

As Piggy likes to say, "Habanos S.A. - building a better box!" LOL.

However, I'd put out there that the RA Extras, while an EL cigar and in a "standard" semi-plain / paper-covered / cardboard box, I think they were all the more better for it. I think it was better that these weren't in a dressed-up box (nor numbered, or overly limited, etc.).

They were boxes of 25 phenomenal cigars, wonderfully decorated marca papletas covering that box, with a vintage-band reproduction for that release, and are just epic cigars at a stellar price. Hell - 25 beautiful LE cigars for $270 something??? Amazing stuff. I only hope supply doesn't dry up on these anytime soon.

I think they are the one diamond in the rough with these recent RE/LE packaging doldrums.

Don't really care about packaging, but the fact that these "limited" releases are not limited at all is annoying. A simple serial number plaque and a cab is the way to go. Although, HSA or Atladis or whoever will obviously pass on the added expense to us....so maybe the way it is is for the best.

I still have no idea what everybody's talking about with regards to the RAE. Would love a regular Corona in the RA line, but found the RAE to have major problems with construction, consistency and I did not enjoy any of the ones I smoked. ESPECIALLY at the inflated price.

I felt the same as you towards the RAE when they first came out but the last couple I have had were very nice cigars with the last one being great. Hopefully they will keep getting better

I guess I'm lucky because I've yet to have a poorly constructed/rolled RAE and love them. At 154CUC for a box of 25 RAE's I can understand the standard box but the 520's at 140CUC a better box wouldn't have been a bad idea.