Smithy Devastated

ABC NEWS

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-12/death-star-plan-destroyed-by-white-house/4462332

White House strikes back on Death Star petition

Updated Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:16pm AEDT

The White House has dashed the hopes of Star Wars fans across the galaxy by rejecting an official petition calling for the US government to build a Death Star - the fictional, planet-destroying space station featured in the iconic movies.

Over 30,000 people signed a petition calling on the US government to secure resources and funding and begin construction of a Death Star by 2016.

Paul Shawcross, head of the White House budget office's science and space branch, said building a Death Star would simply be too expensive.

"The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $US850,000,000,000,000,000," he said.

"We're working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.

"The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defence, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon.

"The Administration does not support blowing up planets."

The White House accepts all petitions and responds to ones with over 25,000 signatures.

Quirky petitions have proved popular in recent weeks, including one calling for government to mint a coin worth $US1 trillion.

The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defence, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. The Administration does not support blowing up planets.

Paul Shawcross, head of the White House budget office's science and space branch

The Death Star petitioners argued the project would create jobs and strengthen national defence.

Mr Shawcross says while the US will not have a Death Star, it does have many space-related projects, including the International Space Station.

"If you do pursue a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field, the Force will be with us!" he said.

"Remember, the Death Star's power to destroy a planet, or even a whole star system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

AFP

The USS Enterprise can easily wipeout both the Empire and Alliance fleets! nyah.gif

Isn't there a rule on FOH about political discussions....?lookaround.gifwink.png

Trekkies and Star Wars "Can get" political!biggrin.png

The USS Enterprise can easily wipeout both the Empire and Alliance fleets! nyah.gif

I sincerely hope this does not disintegrate (no pun intended) into one of those arguments over who is the most powerful evil beings, Lord Sauron or Emperor Palptitate. I have to listen to enough of that from the uber nerds at work. "Well I think Gandalf could take Dumbledore in a fair fight!" "Oh yeah? Well the Balrog certainly showed him!" Spare me!

I was bummed when I heard this. I'm sure the death star would have been cigar friendly for one. as well i was going to re-orient my carreer toward being an Imperial officer in the hopes of making it up the ranks to admiral only to get force chocked by vader because I failed him yet again. Sigh

I would have loved this had they just responded with "At this point in time we are costing this proposal, it looks like a good idea, the White House will deliver the report in a month." Could you imagine the excitement that Star Wars fans would have for just one month think that the Death Star may be built.

Look at it as a brilliant opportunity for Australia's space program to take the lead role in developing "the ultimate power in the universe".