The one Cigar person in the cigar world you would like to have dinner with?

Now I am talking about someone you have not met lol3.gif

I have been fortunate to have met and shared time with many people in the trade from the Padrons to the Fuentes, Cuba is a given. . The one bloke I would love to catch up with one day is Jonathan Drew of Drew Estates.

if I remember correctly we started at the same time in 1998. The first RTDA's I attended in the USA he had the best booths complete with bimbos serving cigars. I actually hated his cigars at the time (Acid anyone?) and I was sure he would fail. It was at that time that I use to hang out a little with Tony Borhani . The man was doing some good stuff and I was sure that he was going places in the cigar world.

That sort of thinking is the reason I don't back horses biggrin.png

Still, Drew and his partner continued on even during the tough days. I never gave them a hope. They have a great business and while I am still not enamoured with ther product.....I would love to have a dinner, smoke his cigars, I bring the wine etal.

Yours?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh this is a hard one...

There are so many people,all completely fascinating in their own rights,and not having met or knowing them opens it up to just about every one LOL

I could over think this so I will grow with what first comes into my head.

In the light of some of my recent posts I would have to say Min Ron Nee.

For lots of reasons I choose MRN, to converse about the history of cigars,his views insight and knowledge would be huge insite to this fascinating hobby/pastime.

That's even before we even get to discuss the matter of the genesis of his books

But apart from that he is like me a consumer,the flip side of the cigar world if you will

Cheers

Hard to nail it down to one.

Min Ron Nee definitely up there.

Chetan Seth, I've met his daughters, both lovely and I've seen him but never met him. Dinner with him would be interesting.

Regarding Jonathan Drew, I've only heard good things, I've met a Cuban ex-pat roller a few times who works for him and has only good things to say, that roller's daughter, Maylu, incidentally sings in the Gato Tuerto most Saturdays. Nice girl..

There are a few no longer around, Alejandro Robaina (never got to meet him), Avelino Lara and Freddie Fox, all three together would be good..

Top of the list, if he counts as a cigar person, would have to be Fidel Castro. I'm not saying we'd agree on everything but it would be an interesting dinner.

Good question. Litto Gomez who owns La Flor Dominicana cigar brand would be interesting to sit down to have a chat and maybe smoke one of his new creative cigar invention not yet released. that would be cool. he's creative and his back story is interesting. i loved his chisel shape cigars i had. Love the coronado by la Flor blend ! intense aroma ! great taste !!

Tirso Ripoll & his family would be my choice.

I would like to hear about the family cigar business & their own thoughts on C&NC cigars from their perspective.

Also he's a ace guitarist & a few stogies, drinks & a little music would make for a great time..

Had to think about it for a while and came to the decision of Alan Alda.

I know he has done many things in entertainmaent industry but it would be great to have a fish with him on river bank just to thank him for childhood memories from from watching the mash series, still love it when i see a re-run.

Good question. Litto Gomez who owns La Flor Dominicana cigar brand would be interesting to sit down to have a chat and maybe smoke one of his new creative cigar invention not yet released. that would be cool. he's creative and his back story is interesting. i loved his chisel shape cigars i had. Love the coronado by la Flor blend ! intense aroma ! great taste !!

X2,Litto also has a Toronto connection,he lived here for a while.

Now I am talking about someone you have not met lol3.gif

I have been fortunate to have met and shared time with many people in the trade from the Padrons to the Fuentes, Cuba is a given. . The one bloke I would love to catch up with one day is Jonathan Drew of Drew Estates.

if I remember correctly we started at the same time in 1998. The first RTDA's I attended in the USA he had the best booths complete with bimbos serving cigars. I actually hated his cigars at the time (Acid anyone?) and I was sure he would fail. It was at that time that I use to hang out a little with Tony Borhani . The man was doing some good stuff and I was sure that he was going places in the cigar world.

That sort of thinking is the reason I don't back horses biggrin.png

Still, Drew and his partner continued on even during the tough days. I never gave them a hope. They have a great business and while I am still not enamoured with ther product.....I would love to have a dinner, smoke his cigars, I bring the wine etal.

Yours?

interestingly enough i have had dinner and drinks with JD and his wife at his factory in Nicaragua. he is a great guy to hang out with. he will talk your ear off about cigars. you can tell that he loves the business, loves the country, and just wants to make a quality product. if i can figure out how, ill post a pic of myself my wife and JD just outside Drew Estates.

the person i would love to have dinner with is Henke Kelner. I am a huge Davidoff fan and i generally like all the blends that he has had his hand in. i would love to discuss how he developed his palate and why he likes what he likes. he seems like a smart guy.

I'm another who'd love to spend a bit of time on the deck with the Czars crew. Aside from that I'd maybe say James Suckling. Obviously he is a bit of a Marmite character here on the board but I'd love to get an idea of what he is like in person over some good food, wine and smokes.

Considering who I've already been able to meet in the cigar world, and who I've already had the pleasure especially of sharing a cigar or a drink with, my "list" is getting smaller and smaller, but unfortunately, reaching higher and higher. Sadly, I know that many of the below I'll likely never have the chance to have a great one-on-one discussion with, and not the opportunity to pick their brains.

For a cigar-specific dinner conversation, I'd have to say my top three, in order, are:

1. MRN
  2. James Suckling
  3. Simon Chase

For a potential long-gone wish of a meeting, with those no longer with us, but that I somehow still long for, as I think the conversation would be broad-ranging, and I'd have SOOOOO much to learn from these chaps:

1. Alejandro Robaina
  2. Chuck / "Tampa"
  3. Fidel Castro (IMO, he's likely gone, and has been for some time - it wouldn't surprise me if the Cuban politicos are running a big charade, a la "Weekend At Bernie's"-style.)

For just a general fun time, that would be all-out crazy, and only slightly related to cigars:

1. Ken
  2. Ken
  3. Ken