San Cristobal

Guest Robo

As you've already heard, there's rumors that the entire San Cristobal brand is going to be axed in 2013. The last time we heard an entire brand was on the chopping block was Trinidad and the rumors were not true. Trinidad ended up keeping 3 cigars from it's regular line-up.

I'm curious to know what everyone thinks: if San Cristobal were to keep only 2 of it's current regular release cigars (excluding the LCDH cigars) which 2 would you like to see kept?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure if I showed you this before, but last year sometime I created this painting called "The last of its kind". It is created using actual cigar bands, in the eggs and the nest. The three eggs fea

Cuaba first (Keep the divinos)

Sancho Panza has nothing good left, might as well ditch the rest

Fonseca, same as above plus it gets even less love than RyJ

San Cristobal's turn now, the above should really go first IMO if things have to go

Vegas Robaina, now the classico is gone who cares, ditch it all for me, put the Unicos as a LCDH release

Rafael Gonzales, same as Sancho Panza, nothing good left, might as well put it out of its misery

SLR and Juan Lopez are only just hanging in there because of a few star performers

Depressing time for cuban cigars really and if the rumours are true that the Partagas 898 and Dip 2 are going then there are only half a dozen or so world class cigars left coming out of Cuba.

At least we have the promise of some new Dongasaurus ELs from all this saved tobacco to look forward to!

El Principe is the only thing I would miss. Everything else is right up there with Jose Piedra; nuke it.

I've had a few El Principe that have been molasses bombs. What a unique flavor that I looked forward to. Will miss those if they do indeed go...

El Principe is the only thing I would miss. Everything else is right up there with Jose Piedra; nuke it.

Good God man, No!!! Piedras PCs are my daily "walk the dog" smoke. I'd be gutted (well, broke actually) if they were to disappear! LOL

As for the SCDLH line up, I'm with the majority here. I'd only miss the El Principe.

I would miss the El Principe as well. The other two vitolas that I enjoy (Mercaderes and Oficios) are axed already and given that I just picked up a box of Oficios and they were from the OR (Dic 05), no wonder... Not high volume at all.

I wonder what is going to happen to the El Toreon jar, though - I was planning to get one.

Well, according to Trevor, the LCDH line is already axed (or at least on hiatus). The regular production never did anything for me with the exception of the El Principe. Enjoy those Oficios!

I've had a few El Principe that have been molasses bombs. What a unique flavor that I looked forward to. Will miss those if they do indeed go...

I bought a box where every stick thus far has been like that; molasses and almond cookie. It's actually been my favorite smoke of the past year. I would definitely miss these.

Wow… ditch them, nuke them, etc… you guys won't be glad until the choice is reduced to an overpriced 60rg Cohiba or an overpriced 62rg Montecristo… lookaround.gif

I'm in a brutal mood, I stepped on a plug earlier lol3.gif

Then again, I'd kill 80% of what's regular production now plus the EL, RE and Travel Retail programs to get back Partagas Coronas, Partagas Lonsdales, Partagas TPC, QDO Panetelas, ERDM Coronas de Luxe, Ramon Allones PC, RyJ TPC and Upmann no 1s! devil2.gif

I hope they don't axe SC cigars as I very much enjoy the La Punta being one of my favourites.

I've had all the SC cigars, Muralla's are overated and very 'Mellow' for such a large cigar but la Punta with the molasses undertones are brilliant.peace.gif

I really agree with Captain Quintero's "pyramid-of-vitola-axing" above. As much as I hate to see anything go, most of those going would make more sense than some current thoughts. (Of which, when we were in Havana in November having industry discussions, yes, the Dip 2 looks to be up next, but the Party 898 rumours were being laughed off).

For me on the SCDLH line, the only boxes I have in my humi of this lineup are of the La Fuerza. I love me my robustos, piramides, dalias, and corona gordas, generally in that order. And while I do like the La Punta, I just haven't stocked any of those, for whatever reason. And, I recognize that MANY really like the Principe. And the La Fuerza, although I like them and keep them stocked, I realize that they come a bit of second-fiddle (or third-?) to the Principe's and Punta's.

And a big consideration with cutting, as Rob has put it before, is the consideration of aged-stock availability in Cuba (if you find it, and it's older, it might be something they could be eyeing to delete due to non-sales). And while it's hard to find the Principe's and Punta's aged in Cuba (at least in my experience), I always seem to find decently aged (5 year +) La Fuerza's. This recent trip, I actually found some boxes that were 2003 and 2004 (really epic boxes, but I was relatively out of funds sad.png ).

So, for me, like it or not, I'd say the top two or three to keep would be the El Principe, La Punta, and then the La Fuerza.

I'm with a lot on here, La Punta is one of my long term favourites, having it's own sweet spicey flavour.

Talking to one of the chaps in the LCDH in Andorra, I was looking at various boxes of stuff I don't usually see, and he would comment

"Finito...Last box"...on many great cigars...slenderellas etc.

I said "what the hell is Cuba doing"?

He shrugged.

As with QC above, for me, stop making tasteless double banders, and keep with the great traditional cigars, which have their own character.

Smoked a HDM Epi De luxe, and a Royal Robusto LCDH, neither of which was a patch on the ERDM corona de luxe, or even the EG Perlas I had recently...

Cuaba first (Keep the divinos)

Sancho Panza has nothing good left, might as well ditch the rest

Fonseca, same as above plus it gets even less love than RyJ

San Cristobal's turn now, the above should really go first IMO if things have to go

Vegas Robaina, now the classico is gone who cares, ditch it all for me, put the Unicos as a LCDH release

Rafael Gonzales, same as Sancho Panza, nothing good left, might as well put it out of its misery

SLR and Juan Lopez are only just hanging in there because of a few star performers

Depressing time for cuban cigars really and if the rumours are true that the Partagas 898 and Dip 2 are going then there are only half a dozen or so world class cigars left coming out of Cuba.

At least we have the promise of some new Dongasaurus ELs from all this saved tobacco to look forward to!

that's "fighting talk" to me captain...RG and SP are two of my fav marques and ones I buy (PC and Beli respectively & especially)...never had any San Cristobal...but would defend keeping most things otherwise we'll be down to under 10 marques in no time (NOT GOOD)

that's my view anyhow

Am I the only one here that would rather they worked on the brand rather than axe it? I enjoy the occasion Principe and the profile is different enough to keep. I say slim RyJ down and make LE's truly limited instead.

The bigger annoyance for me is the constant meddling...

Not sure if I showed you this before, but last year sometime I created this painting called "The last of its kind". It is created using actual cigar bands, in the eggs and the nest. The three eggs feature San Cristobal, Trinidad and LGC bands.

When Matthew and I smoke these cigars, we refer to them as "one of the eggs".

post-8371-0-32914800-1357222103_thumb.jp

• Thanks 1