Cigar Number 3: FOH Blind Tasting!

Welcome to Cigar number 3 of the Blind tasting!

Just a revision of the rules.

There have been three cigars picked by myself. These are Standard Production Cigars (No Regional, Edicion Limitada or Specialty Cigars).

1. Cigars (all 3 and bandless) sent from Feb 9th to Feb 23rd. Cigars selected from same code and aroma/wrapper appearance.

2. This year we have a Petit Corona, Corona Gorda, Churchill

3. Cigars selected will be in current production.

They will be the only hints given.

The post smoking process

1. Third cigar (Churchill) smoked by 4th June with you e-mailing me me your answer. On this dedicated thread you will provide a brief review but not disclose the cigar on the forum. You will send me your selection (include your handle).

Have Fun!

Rob

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batting 3 for 3 on being the first reviewer.

This churchill had a colorado claro wrapper, and a tight pre-light draw. I clipped deeper, but the draw was still quite firm.

There was no distinguishable prelight draw flavor, and the scent of the cigar was almost nonexistent.

The initial flavors were sweet, almost like toasted marshmallow and graham crackers.

The flavor and body were very mild, and I had to work to get flavors from the cigar.

Getting into the second third, cocoa would linger on the finish, and I had the feeling like smoking this cigar was like eating a smore with the burn marshmallow, graham, and chocolate flavors coming together. The cigar was still very mild.

In the final third the cigar had some sour cream notes, but still the sweetness, graham, and lingering cocoa. While the flavor had built, the cigar still was very much in the mild range of the spectrum.

The cigar made me annoyed. The flavors were wonderful, but they needed to be amped a bit more for me to consider the cigar box worthy. I don't mind a mild petite corona, since an hour of mild is fine, but two hours of having to hunt for flavor makes me bored.

This stogie had a good draw and plenty of smoke. I did not see a great deal of variety of flavor beyond hay and honey. Pleasant enough except for the way it unraveled mid-burn. I was able to keep it going but lost interest in the final third.

post-9032-0-50477300-1336866014.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...So I missed the deadline for cigar #2 ... Not that I would have guessed right, but still. Anyway, I didn't really like it, just average.

Now for cigar #3. I was doing some gardening this weekend and it was a very nice, hot and sunny day, so I decided to treat myself and smoke the churchill.

Appearance : good looking cigar, nice wrapper color

Aroma(wrapper, foot) : light tobacco

Construction : same density head to foot, BUT VERY TIGHTLY PACKED... Will it be hard draw or plugged ?

Cold draw : boo hoo hoo, it IS very hard to draw, so almost nothing on the cold draw

A bit difficult to light, again very little draw. I took maybe 8 or 10 draws and it was a fight for every one. I would have needed an extra pair of lung to smoke this thing !

Since I didn't want to throw away this stick after smoking less than a centimeter of it, I decided to take the bull by the horns and try something drastic...

Anyone for a cigar kebab ?

post-8319-13381226095966.jpg

So I pushed a bamboo skewer all to the through the cigar, being carefull not to pierce the sides. The wrapper cracked a little near the foot, but no adverse reaction.

Here are the results, even if you can't really see a big hole at the head, the foot is pretty noticeable where the dark spot is (a bit off center, that's why the wrapper cracked a bit).

post-8319-13381228772822.jpg

post-8319-13381229040167.jpg

IT WORKED !!! I was able to smoke ! And I'm glad I did, because this was a good cigar.

Black coffee, cocoa, a tiny bit of anis and this is going to sound strange, but it left me a very slight aftertaste of grilled steak. Also some toasted tobacco.

I would describe the overall taste as floral and intensity as mild-medium leaning towards mild.

post-8319-13381229306704.jpg

Sorry for the dirty gloved hand...

This was one of my top 10 cigars I've ever smoked, it reminded me of a Hoyo des Dieux. I really enjoyed it and I really wished it hadn't had draw issues because I think it could have been in my top 3.

Not considering the very tight draw, I give it 94-95.

Now as for what it is... I have no clue, but can't wait to find out to buy some more !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mystery cigar #3.

Weight 14.91g. Firm construction. Smooth, medium shiny wrapper. Nasty 4cm crack on foot probably caused by transportation. Wrapper scent mild tobacco with some hay and some floral note. Cutting with scissors. Open draw, too easy for me. Toasted tobacco with ginger as cold taste. Ignition.

1/3 Ginger, clove and such kind of spices. Difficult to get enough smoke because the crack lets air flow through it. Have to suck like an elephant. The taste is fair enough though, mild to medium. Small amount of hay. Flavour has gone milder, almost bland. Still 1cm to get past the crack... The crack has finally gone but where is the flavour and where is the smoke? I'm getting bored sucking this open draw donkey thing! There is still some ginger but it is much too mild.

2/3 There's maybe some cream in the hot air that flows through the bland stick. A tiny amount of white pepper, perhaps. Hey, what happened? - There's some smoked smoke with black pepper. Have to suck hard to get the flavour out. This cigar is clearly made for suckers, ha-ha.

3/3 Feels like smoking an NC, a crappy NC. Churchill is definitely not my size. Something sweet in the very background, or is it the Coke that I am sipping? Charcoal.

Smoking time 1:45. No good words about this cigar. Simply horrible! Will send my guess soon.

Smoked mine last week while on a business trip. Didn't really take any notes since I am 0:2 on the first two cigars so no point even submitting my 3rd guess.

Mine had perfect construction and very nice cedary, toasty flavors. I don't smoke many Churchills so I don't have much to go for in terms of comparison. I really liked this cigar and give it a 91. Might even consider picking up a few of these once I know what it is - unless there are more reports of badly constructed sticks like the two above.

Best of luck to all still in the running!

Here's my final attempt at retaining a modest sense of cigar knowledge, being 0 for 2 so far! I have limited Churchill experience, but after a quick glance at Trevor's website to see who the contenders are, I started my final exam.

Aroma at cold: green tea

The bunching at foot of the cigar gave the appearance of it being tightly packed and the feel from head to foot, with the exception of a soft spot in the final third, was relatively firm. In reading the previous reviews I had concerns that my cigar would too offer a fight on the draw.

Wrapper: colorado claro in color and a nice smooth oily sheen

Punched the cap and off we go! Prelight draw showed good resistance and a sweet/mild tobacco flavor.

1/3: this churchill introduced itself with predominantly a "tea" flavor profile. Medium in body and a pleasant start. Already at this stage I have a pretty good gut feeling I might know what Marca this could be.

2/3: not much change in flavor and still medium to medium plus in body. The cigar is producing a decent amount of smoke, the burn is relatively even and the draw is perfect. There are a few touches of leather and hay in there if I try hard enough to find other flavors, but I'm still getting "tea".

3/3: At the end I'd have to say that this was an enjoyable if not complex cigar. Kind of ended like it started, unpresuming "here I am" and followed thorugh to the end. I didn't quite nub it but started losing the light with about 1 inch left to go and let it leave on it's own.

I like the churchill size and a Sunday afternoon in the backyard is a perfect time and place to enjoy one. Overall I'd rate it a 89-89, a solid good but not great smoke. But if I was looking for this specific flavor profile I'd be one happy camper.

Here's my review for stick #3.

:tantrum:

Plugged. Even the pre-light was like trying to suck a penny through a mattress. Lit it up, hoping... but... drawing was too hard. Couldn't get much smoke at all.

Sigh.

But, that does happen with cigars. All part of the experience.

I wasn't in the running to win, so I'm not upset. It's just how the cookie crumbles. :cookie2:

Humidity was 64% on both of my hygrometers. So, that wasn't the issue. Probably a bad day for roller #342 at the factory.

Here's my review for stick #3.

:tantrum:

Plugged. Even the pre-light was like trying to suck a penny through a mattress. Lit it up, hoping... but... drawing was too hard. Couldn't get much smoke at all.

Sigh.

But, that does happen with cigars. All part of the experience.

I wasn't in the running to win, so I'm not upset. It's just how the cookie crumbles. :cookie2:

Humidity was 64% on both of my hygrometers. So, that wasn't the issue. Probably a bad day for roller #342 at the factory.

About the same for me.

Tightly packed and very hard draw, I even dry boxed it for a day.

Had to give up after about a cm.

Will send in my usual guess.

That's two hard draws out of three for me.

This does not bode well. Had a look at mine yesterday and it felt very firm. Been storing it on its own with some 65% beads since I got. Will try dry boxing for 48hrs beforehand.

I'm having the same rotten luck as others :( I hadn't noticed upon receipt but this third cigar has what feels like a marble under the wrapper about 2 inches from the head! Upon clipping the draw was almost fully plugged but since the wrapper already had several hairline cracks in it I was hesitant about trying to massage the knot out.

I managed to get the cigar lit alright but I was only getting faint whisps of earthy smoke. My problems started to get worse as the cigar heated up, the wrapper was starting to look like the Hulk's shirt as those small cracks started to open up into splits. I almost managed to make it to the end of the first third before the wrapper started to come off completely. I'd had enough by this point so called it.

I don't really have too much to go on but I'll make a stab in the dark!

My short brief review of cigar no.3

well looks like i was not the only one with draw issues...upon the cut, it was a very tight draw very firmly packed

cold draw revealed leather.

1/3 Cedar, cocoa Leather

2/3 Leather mostly, hints of bitter dark chocolate

3/3 dark roasted coffee, leather

all in all a good cigar. very tight draw, uneven burn. Dont have much experience with churchills in general, usually dont smoke the vitola. judging by flavor profile and appearance I took a shot in the dark

Well, I'm not the only one who had a difficult time with this cigar.

Rob, bad box(es) perhaps ?

Maybe it was "Roll them as tight as possible day" at the factory...wink2.gif

But I'm telling you, cigar kebab worked out pretty well thumbsup.gif !

At least I was able to smoke it, even if the wrapper did have some problems, as you can see in the pic with my glove.

Julieta no. 2 with colorado maduro wrapper, minimal veins, no evidence of box press

Aroma at cold: sweet cream, perfume, hay. Draw is a bit tight, but not too tight.

Initial puffs are extremely mild bodied but loaded with honey and hay flavors. By the end of the first third, honey is gone. Just hay and pine nuts. First 3rd is rather uneventful in terms of variety of flavors.

Second 3rd: White pepper and a touch of leather. Woodiness remains on the back of the palate.

Flavors have really picked up around the half-way mark. Still woody, but now with black pepper

Into the final third, this cigar has picked up considerably both in body (now medium to medium-full) and in flavor. Toffee, caramel. Flavors are very delicate; I'm stretching my imagination to classify some of them.

As I was smoking the first half, I thought for sure I knew what this cigar was. But the heavier body for the 2nd half threw me for a loop. Still, based on the flavors, I think I know what this is.

My Review:

Cigar 3: Churchill

Cigar is well constructed with a colorado claro wrapper and a nice sheen. After cutting the draw is a bit on the tight side, some honey, cedar and vanilla notes can be found.

Opening: Starts off fairly nicely bit of honey and cedar.

First Third: Not a great lot of flavour here much like the opening, there are hints of honey and nutmeg, before a grassy flavour starts to take hold towards the end.

Light heading towards medium in strength, not getting a whole lot of smoke as the draw is a bit too tight but is manageable.

Second Third: The grassy flavour is starting to dominate this cigar, honey and nutmeg are still present in the background.

Medium and getting fuller, the draw has opened up a bit but towards the end of the third the burn is starting to off the rails.

Final Third: Not a great start the cigar has gone out due to the uneven burn and after clipping the end off, the wrapper has a cracked a bit.After getting it a light once more, the grassy flavour is still around but not much else is happening, cigar is getting quite tannic and I give up halfway though the last third. Medium body, the draw is too tight and its a real struggle to get smoke without sucking like a hoover, disappointing.

Final Thoughts: This cigar promised much and delivered little, however there is definitely room for improvement and laying this particular cigar down for 3-4 years I think would result in a something impressive. As to what this cigar is i'm not really sure, this is my first churchill sized cigar, I hope I guess correctly!

Dear Tabacuba:

If you are logging on, you had better do it anonymously... :unknown: You are having another banner day!!! -LOL :nosmilies:

-The Pig

... sorry for the brief interlude with reality mates!!! Please carry on!

The cigar gods must have taken pity on me, after getting one of the dog rockets in the first blind tasting I got an angel this time.

The foot was slightly damaged in transit otherwise it was a nice colorado maduro wrapper with no veins, a beautiful well packed cigar.

Cold aroma of rich coffee and toasted tobacco.

Initial flavors of coffee, cocoa and cream.

Past the damaged foot where the wrapper began marsh-mellows coated my mouth.......I'm loving this!

Into 2/3 body goes from M to MF with sweet vanilla, carmel and nougat........fantastic.

3/3 still sweet and creamy with roasted coffee and one puff of charcoal......must have burnt a marsh-mellow.

Burn was razor sharp with lots of smoke.

I'm hoping it's the one churchill I don't smoke so I can have a reason to get a few boxes but everyones construction issues have me worried.

I was lucky with this one since mine smoked perfectly and I was thus able to enjoy it to the full! It is indeed a unique cigar, not only because I liked it tremendously but also because, if I am not mistaken, I've never had this one before (I suspect, and hope!, that the cigar I'll try tomorrow is an older sibling of this mysterious cigar no. 3).

Appearance: Nicely applied, very thin, colorado claro wrapper; good construction minus a few soft spots; slightly box pressed; shiny but not oily.

Aroma at cold: cedar wood and a touch of beans.

Taste at cold: a touch of gingerbread; a tiny bit of wax and white pepper on the lips.

Draw: Pretty easy (a bit too much for my taste, but not a wind tunnel).

Burn: Very good. I didn't have to re-light this cigar which gave me two very long ashes.

Smell in combustion: sweet wood and warm bread; not too aggressive on the nose.

Ash: Dark-grey; a little flaky; firm and consistent.

Strength: 2/5

1/3: Very sweet tobacco with cedarwood in the background. Delicious and refined; not strong in the nose; very easy to keep in mouth for long periods of time; no spice and no harshness. Cedar wood and sugar in a very gentle manner. Grassy aftertaste on the lips. Nutty flavours are appearing at the mid point of the 1/3 together with more pronounced grassy/herbal tones.

2/3: Still fresh and refined in the same profile (nut-grass-wood); a quiet and relaxing companion; nut = almond now actually which gives me a marzipan taste which I've never experienced in a churchill! This is a very good and pleasant summer afternoon smoke.

3/3: Same flavour profile (a good point as I like it very much!). A bit of white pepper in the last part of the final third which mixes itself nicely with the marzipan-herbal taste.

A 93 cigar for me.

Best of luck to all!

Michel

Review:

Prelight - smooth as silk wrapper, perfect triple cap, slightly underfilled near foot, light tobacco aroma (neighbor was bbq'ing so couldnt smell much else) draw seems a bit firm

1st- sweet cream off the bat, some baking spices through the nose, hints of dried fruit and bread, smoothes out to almost vanilla icecream.

2nd - moves from mild to med body, re-cut and got better smoke production and draw, wrapper cracked, damn.

3rd - med-full now, less cream, more coffee, leather, spice, getting too hot, wrapper became an issue, set it down

overall, solid smoke, 1st third was a 93 for me. overall id say 87 but the potential is there, i think i've been meaning to buy these for a while.

good luck gents!

Blind tasting cigar #3, Julieta #2, aka Churchill:

Nice light colorado wrapper with a slight olive-green hue, silky to the touch, nice.

Firm rolling, but good draw.

Aroma at cold: hay and undefined sweetness.

Medium body, gentle if not mild on the palate, yet dense and complex.

The main flavours all the way through were "Europe in autumn" bales of dry hay and a sugar cane sweetness.

In addition to that, interesting pairings of flavours / aromas:

Cedar, dry cocoa and, occasionally, fruit (but no acidity).

Toasted tobacco and cream, slightly nutty.

Dry grass and bees wax.

I loved the opening and first third (92/93),

the rest of the cigar became a little woody (if not charcoal but that could have been due to the resistance on the draw),

overall 88/89.

Not a cigar for everybody, but for me very enjoyable to say the least.

Cigar No3.

To say this was tight was an understatement . My cutter and my patience worked overtime. Out of the 3 cigars this was the ugly duckling that didnt turn out

to become a swan. The little I did get out of it as one poster mentioned was hay and honey.. Sorry nothing else to give as I ended up turfing it.

In my years of smoking I have been very fortunate that I have had very little issues with the cigars I have smoked. Looks like my luck just ran out, thats life, better luck next time.

To those still in the running goodluck.

Sharks

Blind tasting no.3 – Churchill

Appearance: nice light Colorado wrapper, if a bit veiny.

Aroma at cold: some light sweet notes, some woodiness.

Draw: good draw. I like it a bit more loose, but altogether nice draw.

Construction: very good. Take a look at the pic below. Ash just didn't want to fall.

First third:

The cigar starts off very calm and smooth. The notion is mild and the body is definitely under medium.

I get tastes of caramel, mixed with milk coffee.

Good smoke.

Very nice.

Second third

The beginning of the second third is pretty much similar to the first third.

Caramel is gone. More milk coffee.

Towards the end of the second third there is a certain development in the cigar; I am getting hints of sugar cane and honey, together with some sort of creamy nuttiness, and some woodiness.

Final third

Much to my disappointed – rubbish.

All of a sudden the cigar turns tannic, bitter and hot. I didn't see that coming.

Completely un-enjoyable and I had to put it down and stop smoking it. Why ruin the enjoyment and impression of the first two thirds.

Wrap up:

First two thirds - great early afternoon cigar. Solid 90-91.

Last third - read above: Un-gradable rubbish. I want to hope this was a specific failure with my cigar only as up until this point this was a lovely cigar.

This was a great experience. Cheers and good luck to all.

post-7204-0-45938400-1338574323.jpg

Mine was a bit tight too but got some decent smoke from it. bit young and harsh at times.

medium bodied, little spice

Barnyard aroma at cold.

tea draw at cold.

hay, scotch biscuit, coffee and some greeny herb flavours

don't have a scooby doo what this is

84 score