So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

Simon, I'm not a Balvenie fan, but the 15 yr Sherry Cask is great stuff. Have you compared the 17 yr peated to the 17 yr Islay cask?

Taka, haven't got a chance to try the Islay cask yet. Peated cask was quite differetn from what I expected and not sure I would buy again. Going to NYC soon, so hopefully I can find some to try there...

Taka, haven't got a chance to try the Islay cask yet. Peated cask was quite differetn from what I expected and not sure I would buy again. Going to NYC soon, so hopefully I can find some to try there...

If you're coming to NYC, you gotta drop us American FoHers a line!

If we can find a BYO place, I can bring some nice bottles.

How was it?

Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm still new to the bourbon world (and all whiskey for that matter).

I really liked it. It's more on the spicy side than the sweet, but still has some nice carmel notes. I don't know the proper term for this (body maybe?), but this had a thicker feel to it that would coat your mouth, as opposed to some thinner feeling bourbons. I'm still leaning towards Buffalo Trace as my go to bourbon, but I'm definitely enjoying this bottle and would get it again.

How is this compared to the normal one?

It's matured in wine casks.

While I haven't yet tried this particular release, nearly two years ago, I sampled what would have been a few cask drawn samples of the precursor or concept for this new line extension along with Matt (another forum member).

It was at one of those periodic food and wine exhibition events held in Melbourne and David Vitale, the founder and CEO of the company was manning the booth. We went through the usual line up of Starward, chatted about all things whisky when he brought forth some unlabelled bottles from under the counter and poured a generous dram from each bottle to gauge what we thought about them. They were excellent drams, wine cask matured with different variations in the approach and we discussed the merits of the different samples. It was all experimental and cask strength then and one of the aims was to create a food friendly whisky that could go with steak as an alternative to the traditional red wine. We told him that we thought he was on to a winner.

Fast forward about a year later and I learn that he has blended some of the early wine cask matured production to create the first of his New World Projects line. Today we see the release of the first batch of the red wine matured expression of the Starward line. While still only available "for members only" before the official launch to the public, I am understandably excited as I feel I have had a small, indirect part to play in its development and have witnessed the growth of this fledgling yet promising Aussie distillery since the first encounter at the Whisky Live Melbourne 2013.

I picked up a few things the other day:

16290542063_68a3daf075_z.jpg

I decided to step out of my box and try some drinks I normally wouldn't buy. I haven't bought a bottle of Rum since I was a kid looking to get hammered and the Scotch is a step up in quality over what I normally would get.

The Reserve is okay, no complaints. I got it to see if I would like a different Bourbon more than the ones I'm used to. The Zaya and Ardbeg are awesome, very pleased with those.

• Like 2

A few dusty pickups, Old Whiskey River a Heaven Hill bottled bourbon, Red State and Blue State KBD bottled bourbon made for the US presidential election. JW Don't from Heaven Hill, and a Private barrel pick from Smooth Ambler OS bourbon at cask strength.

post-9940-0-40489400-1427380423_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-53990000-1427380437_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-77243600-1427380458_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Pulled some strings to get this at discount pricing:

They have all but evaporated from the shelves after one of them got declared as the winner of the World Whisky Awards 2015. Damned awards making everything scarce.

So funny - just a couple of weeks ago I passed on them at half the US price (worked out to about $90/bottle). I picked up the Port Finish instead (also at half the US price). The Taoyuan duty free had tons of them.

Neither one is worth $170, IMO - I tried them both. The best of the Solist is the Sherry Cask (well - I guess the Fino might be better but that is double yet again and they wouldn't let me try it).

• Like 1

If you're coming to NYC, you gotta drop us American FoHers a line!

If we can find a BYO place, I can bring some nice bottles.

April, I will see what the schedule is like and I will drop you a line Taka!