So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

Just got back from a long weekend in the North Island of New Zealand.

Been on a bit of a bender with the Japanese whiskies as they have become more available.

Found these in NZ duty free but not in Aussie duty free stores. :confused: Go figure.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

They are available in AUS retail.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

Was at the duty free store and they didn't have the scotch I was looking for so I picked up this to try something new. I believe it is s duty free exclusive; anyone tried it?

c5d56b7d70f91cff899a7b08e60bcc84.jpg

• Like 2

Was at the duty free store and they didn't have the scotch I was looking for so I picked up this to try something new. I believe it is s duty free exclusive; anyone tried it?

c5d56b7d70f91cff899a7b08e60bcc84.jpg

It's very flavoursome for the strength - sherried and smooth with plenty of subtlety and refinement.

• Like 1

It's very flavoursome for the strength - sherried and smooth with plenty of subtlety and refinement.

Thanks for that. I'll open it up soon and give it a try.

I went on a bit of a hunt today. The White dog is going into my small barrel for maturation. There are 6 wheated bourbon mash, and 6 rye mash.

post-9940-0-94198600-1426572244_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-78532800-1426572263_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-24915300-1426572276_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-41118200-1426572298_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-71721100-1426572315_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-43093200-1426572331_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-04023400-1426572350_thumb.jp

• Like 4

I went on a bit of a hunt today. The White dog is going into my small barrel for maturation. There are 6 wheated bourbon mash, and 6 rye mash.

Very nice - I have always wanted to have my own barrel so that I can do some home-maturation.

What Barrel Release is the Elijah Craig?

Michel Couvreur Overaged Malt Whiskey.

34f25b6767c53b068d3a5fbda5b021ef.jpg

This is a blend of Speyside whiskies that were bought and transported in casks to Burgundy and cave aged in France. Michel Couvreur apparently is a well known Belgian negotiant who decided to dabble in whisky, kind of like Samaroli. What's unusual is that it is aged in France and blended there.

Too bad he passed away last year, so just when this whisky is finally available in the states, the creator is gone. I wonder if this will continue, considering that Mr. Couvreur had amassed hundreds of barrels or scotch whisky.

Credit goes to David Driscoll and the wonderful K&L Spirits Blog for background on this whisky.

• Like 1

Very nice - I have always wanted to have my own barrel so that I can do some home-maturation.

What Barrel Release is the Elijah Craig?

Hey Sang this is release number 7, 128 proof. Yeah this will be my fourth new whiskey I have done in a tiny barrel. I'm starting to get the hang of it now though.

I'd love to hear your impressions- the 11 yr is supposed to be very different from the 12.

Unfortunately, i never had the 12 yo but it can be had over here for about 100$, i might buy it if i like the 11 yo

First try at this bottle

It's great stuff. If you haven't tried cask strength whisky before - take it easy, and work your way into it. Let it sit in the glass for 20 mins before sipping, slowly.... It'll take you to a special place.

It's great stuff. If you haven't tried cask strength whisky before - take it easy, and work your way into it. Let it sit in the glass for 20 mins before sipping, slowly.... It'll take you to a special place.

Definitely not my first try at cask strength but thanks for the tip. This stuff is great

Unfortunately, i never had the 12 yo but it can be had over here for about 100$, i might buy it if i like the 11 yo

Santiago de Cuba 12 yr is reminiscent of El Dorado in how it is very sweet, heavy caramel and vanilla.

I would be a lot more intrigued if the 11 yr is more of an unsweetened rum, like the French agricoles (without the brandy-like character of agricole).