So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

Great bottle of EG Barolo, how was it?

I have not opened the bottle yet. I'll be sure to come back and post thoughts when I do.

The Glenlivet 21 was one of the two scotches we had on Christmas Eve.

Not sure how it is rated but the best way I can describe it is pretty unexciting. Especially for a 21 year old SM. Put next to the other bottle we had, the Gordon Macphail release Highland Park 24, there was no competition.

e72b5766d11b9a56c204218790eff937.jpg

This was a gift. I received yesterday. Anyone know a little more? Thoughts?

b8031d2ad8d6a557b52c606f5258a11a.jpg

This one is fab!

Sent from my iPhone

Both are excellent drams.

• Like 1

Both of those, in my experience, are tasty. I especially enjoy Islay Scotches. Glenlivet, of nearly any vintage or age, is a "go to" in my book. What I mean is while a Glenfarclas or the like might be a favorite of mine for winter there's never, in my mind, a time NOT to have Glenlivet! Talisker has an enjoyable peat and a nice "iodine" much to my taste.

• Like 1

Found this gathering dust at the local bottle-o:

12ad36f5d72b59c8d59e064822125c1e.jpg

A bottle of "old labeled" Rittenhouse Rye 100 Proof Rye, just what I needed as I start on this rye journey of discovery.

Seng, look on the back label does it say DSP KY 1 or 354? That will date the bottle and tell you where it was made. I love it, its good stuff, but the HH produced stuff from DSP KY1 is better IMO.

Found another bottle of Sazerac 18 rye, Buffalo Trace wheated Bourbon from the experimental collection floors 1, 5, and 9, and a bottle of Glenlivet 16 Nadurra. The Glenlivet was a late Christmas gift from a friend.

post-9940-0-68342900-1422199812_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-47145200-1422199836_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-55512700-1422199858_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Seng, look on the back label does it say DSP KY 1 or 354? That will date the bottle and tell you where it was made. I love it, its good stuff, but the HH produced stuff from DSP KY1 is better IMO.

I heard something like that and went looking for the code but am unable to locate it. I actually prefer the Knob Creek to the Rittenhouse as I find the Rittenhouse a little too sweet for my taste.

*EDIT* - it would appear that I am looking at the wrong place. Yes, mine shows: "DSP KY1".

Found another bottle of Sazerac 18 rye, Buffalo Trace wheated Bourbon from the experimental collection floors 1, 5, and 9, and a bottle of Glenlivet 16 Nadurra. The Glenlivet was a late Christmas gift from a friend.

Nice, any good those Buffalo Trace Experimentals? I have seen some of these and the Single Oak Project series around but they are quite expensive this side of the globe. Not sure if I, being a novice bourbon/rye drinker would appreciate them...

Yes, the DSP-KY-354 was outsourced to another distillery after the Heaven Hill fire in 1996. Now that Heaven Hill is back up and running the DSP-KY-1 is different to the DSP-KY-354. From what I've read, this difference is not huge, and I've read how some people swear by one, and others prefer the other. Ironically, because the DSP-KY-354 is discontinued this has made this bottle more highly favoured for collectors. Even though my bottle is the DSP-KY-354 distilled version, I really don't mind as I don't tend to drink Rye whiskey straight, I use it in my Manhattans and Sazerac cocktails and I'm quite happy with Wild Turkey 101 Rye or Rittenhouse for these drinks.

Yes, the DSP-KY-354 was outsourced to another distillery after the Heaven Hill fire in 1996. Now that Heaven Hill is back up and running the DSP-KY-1 is different to the DSP-KY-354. From what I've read, this difference is not huge, and I've read how some people swear by one, and others prefer the other. Ironically, because the DSP-KY-354 is discontinued this has made this bottle more highly favoured for collectors. Even though my bottle is the DSP-KY-354 distilled version, I really don't mind as I don't tend to drink Rye whiskey straight, I use it in my Manhattans and Sazerac cocktails and I'm quite happy with Wild Turkey 101 Rye or Rittenhouse for these drinks.

DSP-KY-1 is Heaven Hill Distillate while DSP-KY-354 was contract distilled by Brown Forman corp at the Old Forester/ Early Times distillary. It was however aged in HH' rickhouse in their cooperage. I do however think the HH distilled Juice is better. I add a drop or two of water and I think it is great. It currently is the only rye of its style (Old Monongahala rye) on the market.

Nice, any good those Buffalo Trace Experimentals? I have seen some of these and the Single Oak Project series around but they are quite expensive this side of the globe. Not sure if I, being a novice bourbon/rye drinker would appreciate them...

As far as expense goes they are very expensive for what they are here as well but I would imagine not as bad here US$50. That being said I used to try them but have found for every one I liked there were 10 I didn't. I got tired of funding BT to do experiments and make a big profit from it. The only reason I bought these is because wheated Bourbon is my favorite type of Bourbon so I thought it would be neat to see how the three different floors would differ from each other. I find while you can tell the difference, it is veryhard to ttell and there is only a nominal difference. The $150. was a waste for 1.125 litre of Bourbon was a waste and not even at barrel proof. I would save my money out the. BTEC And BTSOP. But that's just my .02.