So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

The recently released 2000 Smith Angaston 14 Year Old.

325ff3177cf7490f0c47648961947882.jpg

Certainly a bit more spice than I recall when compared to the younger 12 Year Old released previously.

Since the local bottle shop had some specials on, couldn't resist picking up something else.

• Like 1

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

A few new pickups and few dusty bottles found. Johnnie Walker Green Label, Talisker 25yr, 2005 release at cask strength, Littlemill 12, Heaven Hill Mellow Corn Bib, an old bottle of National Distillers Old Grand Dad from 1985, Lost Spirits Cuban Style rum, Goslings Black Seal 151 proof rum.

post-9940-0-24143700-1421126783_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-54469900-1421126808_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-56280500-1421126841_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-46424400-1421126859_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-36326200-1421127034_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-99016100-1421127054_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-78694400-1421127155_thumb.jp

• Like 2

That Lost Spirits Cuban Style rum is pretty much undrinkable, IMO. Fantastic nose but the alcohol burn is just way too much, unless mixed with lots of Coke. Adding water completely spoils the taste. This was an epic fail, IMO. Two buddies and I agreed on this.

• Like 1

A few new pickups and few dusty bottles found. Johnnie Walker Green Label, Talisker 25yr, 2005 release at cask strength, Littlemill 12, Heaven Hill Mellow Corn Bib, an old bottle of National Distillers Old Grand Dad from 1985, Lost Spirits Cuban Style rum, Goslings Black Seal 151 proof rum.

Very nice find! Very lucky on the Talisker and the Green Label is one of the better JWs ever released, IMO.

• Like 1

That Lost Spirits Cuban Style rum is pretty much undrinkable, IMO. Fantastic nose but the alcohol burn is just way too much, unless mixed with lots of Coke. Adding water completely spoils the taste. This was an epic fail, IMO. Two buddies and I agreed on this.

Have you had the Navy Style Rum from LD? I rather like Navy Style, I wonder how this compares. I'll taste it soon and let you know what I think. Thanks for the heads up.

Very nice find! Very lucky on the Talisker and the Green Label is one of the better JWs ever released, IMO.

Thanks that was a find on the Talisker, the store had more I probably should have bought a few more.

Have you had the Navy Style Rum from LD? I rather like Navy Style, I wonder how this compares. I'll taste it soon and let you know what I think. Thanks for the heads up.

The Navy Style is divine. Totally different.

Yeah this type of Rum is highly flammable! 151 proof Rum bottles usually come with flame arresters to prevent the rum igniting when opened believe it or not.

I've never heard of this before. "Flame arresters" tell me your kidding.

The Navy Style is divine. Totally different.

Have you ever tried the Polynesian rum from LD? Ive heard bad things about this stuff.

Have you ever tried the Polynesian rum from LD? Ive heard bad things about this stuff.

I haven't - was put off by the Cuban style experience ;)

No, I'm actually not. It's not difficult to set alcoholic drinks with this volume on fire. Watch...

I know you can light high abv liquor on fire, but flame retarders? How does that work?

I know you can light high abv liquor on fire, but flame retarders? How does that work?

The Flame Arrestor is crimped at the top of the bottle and acts like a sieve. Bacardi did this due lawsuits from idiots trying to mix pyrotechnics with fancy bartending in the past. From what I understand, I think anything above 100 proof is flammable but I'm not willing to open my Wild Turkey 101 bottle (as an example) to find out!

post-23478-0-15191200-1421297974_thumb.j

post-23478-0-58815200-1421297983_thumb.j

1945c0ea9ce1a4080045b509a5d781df.jpg

My first real foray into rye after tasting through a few samples at a local bottle shop and referencing the feedback of others.

I can say the James E. Pepper 1776 100 Proof Rye has a really lovely nose and a sweeter, peppery, heavy bodied profile while the High West Rendezvous Rye has a more refined and more subtle profile with lots of complexity and a herbaceous note to it - suitably impressed by them. :)

I haven't tried the Knob Creek Rye yet.

I know it pales in comparison to the lovely bottles as posted by others but it's quite difficult for me considering the limited selection available in AUS, notwithstanding the hefty markup. :(

• Like 1

So far, of the bottles of Japanese single malts I've bought, my personal rankings would be:

Yamasaki 18

Hibiki 12

Miyagikyo 12

Hakushu 12

Yamazaki 12

I am really really enjoying Japanese single malts. My current stash of single malt whiskies is half Japanese.

post-5987-0-75201900-1421646703_thumb.jp

• Like 2