So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

No hype here. I feel that they are a great example of a wheated Bourbon, 10 and 15 year are my favorite of the lot. I would never pay the prices on the secondary market, but was lucky enough to have a couple stores that will sell for the normal price.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

The Speymalt 1991 Macallan bottled by Gordon & Macphail exclusively for the Japan Import System at 46%. This 21 year old sherry matured spirit comes from a time when the Macallan was still using predominantly the 'Golden Promise' variety of barley - a taste of the "auld Macallan" that first got me into whisky - with any luck, hopefully this particular barrel that had been selected is pure 'Golden Promise' stock.

92cbe13aeb9b51c7fa809b89c61cf7f3.jpg

One more bottle for the collection, a remnant of an age past when whisky was more artisanal, less commercial, prices were more reasonable, individual tastes were more personal and less skewed by ratings - sadly no more.

Flanked by a couple of others for the drinking stock.

• Like 3

Some travel retail only juice.

436f322d33ce59dc1e2398e0686d923e.jpg

The QA cask gets mixed reviews; please put up your impressions when you open it.

The Yamazaki and ***** are solid bottles. I wonder just how different the distiller's edition is from the regular expression.

The Speymalt 1991 Macallan bottled by Gordon & Macphail exclusively for the Japan Import System at 46%. This 21 year old sherry matured spirit comes from a time when the Macallan was still using predominantly the 'Golden Promise' variety of barley - a taste of the "auld Macallan" that first got me into whisky - with any luck, hopefully this particular barrel that had been selected is pure 'Golden Promise' stock.

92cbe13aeb9b51c7fa809b89c61cf7f3.jpg

One more bottle for the collection, a remnant of an age past when whisky was more artisanal, less commercial, prices were more reasonable, individual tastes were more personal and less skewed by ratings - sadly no more.

Flanked by a couple of others for the drinking stock.

There are several of these Speymalt bottlings. The one I've been seeing is the '90 or the '88, which is much cheaper than the OB 25 yr. I wonder how good to these are- the older Macallan is what made their name for them.
  • Like 1

There are several of these Speymalt bottlings. The one I've been seeing is the '90 or the '88, which is much cheaper than the OB 25 yr. I wonder how good to these are- the older Macallan is what made their name for them.

Yes the older Macallans are what made them famous.

I think Stingmeadery, another fellow malt enthusiast recently tried a bottle of the Speymalt Macallan but of an older vintage. His feedback has been positive.

• Like 1

The QA cask gets mixed reviews; please put up your impressions when you open it.

The Yamazaki and ***** are solid bottles. I wonder just how different the distiller's edition is from the regular expression.

The Yamazaki is the only one I had before - I really liked it. Similar to the 12Y but seemed sweeter and more rich, despite the NAS. Way too easy to drink ;)

• Like 1

The Yamazaki is the only one I had before - I really liked it. Similar to the 12Y but seemed sweeter and more rich, despite the NAS. Way too easy to drink ;)

My impression of the Yamazaki Distillers is the same - a really good entry level Japanese if you want to get a feel for this 'genre' of malt.

• Like 2

My impression of the Yamazaki Distillers is the same - a really good entry level Japanese if you want to get a feel for this 'genre' of malt.

Yes, even non-whisky drinkers like it.

• Like 1

Yes, even non-whisky drinkers like it.

That description doesn't sound so good. I guess that means 12 and 18 are better, in the same vein.

That description doesn't sound so good. I guess that means 12 and 18 are better, in the same vein.

The 12Y is also a beginners dram, if you ask me. 18y is vastly superior but the price is just silly.

I will clarify that I meant that in the context of: "if you are a scotch enthusiast who has never had Japanese malt before and would like to explore, then this would be a good starting point".

Yes - Japanese malt tends to be floral, fruity and easy-drinking while being smooth and delicate.

If scotch is the 'masculine', assuredly Japanese malt is the 'feminine', I feel.[/quoteso

So I whiskey terms where does that place rye and bourbon? The redneck motorcycle driving sibling? Jk