So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

Was lucky to pick up a semi-full bottle of Old Rarity 12 year old blended Scotch - great raised lettering bottle with a metal cap, so no cork issues.

The distillers, Bulloch Lade & Co. owned Caol Ila from 1857 with management changing to Douglas Laing & Co. in 1927, keeping the distillery in the family until it was demolished in 1972. The new Caol Ila distillery was built cicra 1974 in the same architectural style.

This bottle was Imported by Park Benziger NY so given that, and the Internal revenue Stamp code of I-856, says it was imported between 1944 and 1947. The distillery was closed between 1942 and 1945 due to restrictions on barley during the war so this whisky was either bottled just prior to or around 1942, or after 1945. I'd have to call it a mid-40's with out any more specifics.

Common knowledge that liquors don't age once bottled like wine, but I have to imagine that having been oxidized for an indeterminate amount of time, some changes would occur over an unopened specimen.

Light on the nose and palate, just a wisp of peat. A bit sharp up front on the tongue but overall a smooth, butterscotch and citrus dram. Soft mouthfeel with a honeyed but short finish.

Old rarity 99 boli lonsdale

Sampled this with a '99 Boli Lonsdale which paired quite nicely.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

Kind of lost my job in aircraft parts cause the business is going bust and then I got a job for a flying school maintenance company running the parts store, start in early October but not before I have two weeks off to go to the Singapore GP.

To celebrate.....

Martell Cordon Bleu which I've been itching to try

And a box of Monte 520 that have been resting away for a while, both fantastic, great time!

post-15948-0-50984400-1378254051_thumb.j

Hi guys,

Not a recent purchase but like to share this with you guys.

Was lucky to score some bottles.

Saentis Malt SWISS HIGHLANDER Cast No. 1130

These guys got it right.

"BLIND TASTING AWARD 02. March 2013

Surprise victory in a blind tasting ceremony in the “smallest bar in the world”.The special edition Säntis Malt Cask N° 1130 scores a spectacular win in the blind tasting ceremony high above the Engadin region.The final took place in a helicopter more than 3,500 metres above sea level.It left behind 35-year-old Scottish whiskys and other top class competitors."

Full article below.

http://www.saentismalt.ch/en/news/news-detail/artikel/blindtasting-auszeichnung.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=389

post-17235-0-24029200-1378788834_thumb.j

While out for dinner with the wife and mates today, decided to drop in a local bottle-o. As luck would have it, I found this:

Certainly a curio for the collection, a malt of a bygone era. biggrin.png

Looks fancy. Which bottle-o was that?