Wrapper Removal Experiment

I inadvertently performed a similar experiment a month or so back, although it was with an HdM EpiEsp.

I had been out and about all day in DC with a couple of cigars and a humi pillow in a ziploc baggie in my pocket. I had a Fonseca Cosaco, a PSP2 and the HdM EpiEsp in the bag.

Late in the day, with a lull in the action, I opened my bag to enjoy a smoke. I found the Fonseca and the PSP2 in good shape, but the wrapper completely rubbed off the HdM. Unwilling to simply toss it, I fired it up.

I had smoked one from the same cab of ten (MOS JUN09) prior to lighting the "naked" HdM.

I had the complete opposite experience. The wrapper on the HdM seemed to contribute nothing to the overall quality of the cigar. There just wasn't any "there" there.

Then again, it should be noted that I had found, and continue to find, those cigars to be utterly un-remarkable, the most un-remarkable of the CCs I have thusfar obtained. They might as well be Macanudos for all the substance they lack.

One thing Ross is that it makes for interesting conversation when you discuss the topic amongst those who have experienced this for themselves. As usual I have a minority opinion... Imagine that!!!! -LOL

While I will continue to carry my opinion forward I do have to think that this is another one of those very gray areas that could, depending on the cigar and the wrapper, make little to huge difference in the smoking experience depending on what cigar you inevitably pick.

Ray, I agree with it being gray. I'm in no way trying to portray an absolute, or make a statement of fact, and for sure do not discount the findings of others no matter where they fall.

I guess more than anything, I've tried it (and will try again) for my own benefit and education, piqued by the previous discussion - I'm interested in everyone's thoughts.

Remember some time back we had a discussion on cigars being "magic" ? In a way this whole thing may be part of that magic, and perhaps I never really want to know for sure :)

Ray, I agree with it being gray. I'm in no way trying to portray an absolute, or make a statement of fact, and for sure do not discount the findings of others no matter where they fall.

I guess more than anything, I've tried it (and will try again) for my own benefit and education, piqued by the previous discussion - I'm interested in everyone's thoughts.

Remember some time back we had a discussion on cigars being "magic" ? In a way this whole thing may be part of that magic, and perhaps I never really want to know for sure :(

You know amigo you are right on target here. I suppose that I will likely continue to say that wrappers contribute little in my experience for the sake of representing that belief on the topic. TRULY, it is more correct to simply say I don't know because I don't know for a fact. It is a matter of opinion and an infinite set of variables. The definitive test on cigar A may not be appropriate for cigar B.

While I think some resist my analogizing cigars to humans by characteristic, this is understandable, I see them as individuals. Boxes are families which may share characteristics or may not. Vitolas and brands are races or societies which may also share similarities, or again may not!!! One thing is for sure is that each is an individual. You don't get what you pay for or what you see in a lot of cases. You get the heart and soul of a cigar when you properly care for it and take it as a partner, albeit a short relationship. That is part of the magic my friend.

For many years I bemoaned the fact that I could not go to a box of cigars and get the same great cigar experience (in a profiled or quantitative equal sense.) I was vexed by the fact, and I do say fact here, that CC's are notoriously inconsistent or unequal. And then I recognized the magic. It just hit me one day. I was enjoying great cigars, why in Gods name did I need them to be alike? I was chasing illusions that were really not in my best interests anyway. I don't want a cigar to be a Marlboro or Camel Lite, so why should they claim to be consistent? The personality of the individual cigar is a major attraction to me. I mean who wants a 16 hand static display horse or a barn full of them? Not me! I thrive in a world of personalities, those of friends and acquaintances, board members, pets and even cigars.

The Cuban cigar would in fact lose something if it became consistent. A consistently good cigar is expected, but cloned taste profile would be tremendous loss for me.

Enough of the cerebral, I need to get back in my attic!

-Ray