Bolivar Belicoso Finos TEB NOV 08

I always remember the very first BBF I ever smoked - it was really wonderful and I thought I had found a new favourite vitola at the time. I have tried examples from many boxes ever since and even decided to buy a cab of '06's a couple of years back. Only ever smoked one example that only came close to being as delicious as that first.

The Belicosos Finos have me puzzled, but I get the impression that that first one I smoked was a notably different blend. The same thing I get from the RyJ Churchills which I find vastly different/inferior in blend to those from over a decade ago.

I was gifted a late 08 BBF from one of the guys at the lounge and would have to say that it smoked and tasted the same way you guys describe in this review. It had those dark earthy, wet saddle leather flavors going on.

They may be good in a couple of years, but I wasn't all that impressed either. If I had to rate it, I would score it an 85.

Still waiting for the BBF to come back around and re-claim itself as one of the premier cigars.

Interesting to compare this review to the one Smithy and Alain completed last year. These are not a favorite of mine, but I think the primitivo pairing couldn't have helped. Lol.

Bolivar CE, CG, PC, RC all much better. Agree completely.

Was gonna make a Stoned Fruit joke. Thought the better of it. Ah. What the hell.

What do you get when you pair Ken's signiture pants and Rob's quasi-pirate shirt?

I will be here all week.

Interesting to compare this review to the one Smithy and Alain completed last year. These are not a favorite of mine, but I think the primitivo pairing couldn't have helped. Lol.

Bolivar CE, CG, PC, RC all much better. Agree completely.

Was gonna make a Stoned Fruit joke. Thought the better of it. Ah. What the hell.

What do you get when you pair Ken's signiture pants and Rob's quasi-pirate shirt?

I will be here all week.

something about day job springs to mind re the joke. agree re the wine. we moved to a malt for the next review but you may nevr see that as rob and technology are hardly fred and ginger - and yes, i am aware of the pot calling the kettle...

Ha. The half-hearted delivery really took it over the top. Classy stuff. Hopefully not too many members will gouge out their eyes after reading that abomination.

Now where is that damn edit button.

Zinfindel. My first love. Now I hardly know her. Still like a Ridge (California) from time to time. Not a fan of the Turleys any more. Unfamiliar with Aussie attempts.

Ha. The half-hearted delivery really took it over the top. Classy stuff. Hopefully not too many members will gouge out their eyes after reading that abomination.

Zinfindel. My first love. Now I hardly know her. Still like a Ridge (California) from time to time. Not a fan of the Turleys any more. Unfamiliar with Aussie attempts.

very few aussie zins. cape mentelle in marg river has done a bruiser for years. daylight next.

If you like Zin...a great California Zin is from Frank Family Vineyards. Give it a try...absolutely stunning zin.

Never really cared for the BBF. Just too earthy for me. Tastes like smoking dirt. I do realize that Bolis tend to be more earthy, and I know there are many fans of this cigar. This marca just hasn't done it for me at all. I think I will need to revisit the whole lineup later this year, maybe in the fall.

Sometimes I wonder if I don't know what I'm talking about (probable) and these reviews put the words in my head, but an earthy, leather cigar that is at it's best outdoors and is consistently quite good but never great is exactly how I would describe my BBFs.

Still quite like them, though defo not a cigar to give to a cc newcomer - the earth and damp leather is defo a required taste.

Good review

Hand picked a BBF from an 08 box at the LCDH down town Varadero (what great little store). It was March 2009. The profile was similar to what was said in the video review (although mine was ripe given the young age). I was expecting the old school notes, and thats exactly what was delivered. Mind you, the cigar had some dirty unpleasant moments, and the final third was not up to par.

Now the box of 08 Bolivar royal coronas I had purchased that same day have been fantastic from day one. The have aged into Excellency.